Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Princess and the Prat by DanielRadcliffeandMe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Welcome to fanfic land – home of the free, land of the lightening-scarred. Read and review, please please please! I do respond to every one. Enjoy!



Chapter 6 – One Interesting Day


Both James and Sirius talked quietly for a little while, while Lily sat in a huff, staring out the window. They hadn’t even left the station, but it had felt like hours sitting here.


Lily had been formalizing the Hogsmeade dates on her calendar when Sirius looked up at the clock. “Oi, Prongsy, it’s half past. I guess we better go meet the guys.”


“Oh, no you don’t,” threatened Lily, stirring.


“Why not?” said James innocently. He was trying to ignore her shimmering hair, though not making much progress.


“Because,” Lily said, getting to her feet. “We’re going to help the first years and any new kids. Don’t even think about making me do all the work this year. You’re going to get your fair share, P-… James,” she finished, a little embarrassed that she had almost said, “Potter”.


“Alright, fine. Just go ahead, Padfoot, I’ll meet you later,” relented James.


Sirius looked about to say something in protest, but James cocked his head to one side, obviously saying, "Go on!" Sirius growled loudly, mostly kidding, and stomped off. James turned around and clasped his hands behind his back, soldier-like.


“Ready for duty, madam!”


******



Mountains flashed past the window, and clouds began to blanket the sky. Lily stared out miserably in the late afternoon, paying no attention to her friends sitting around her. The morning affairs had gone off well; the Prefects had their assignments, and the arrangement for meetings was set. James had not been as much of a burden as she had anticipated, but the eyes of every girl during the meeting had drifted to him at least three times, distracting Lily immensely. Since then, however, all three Marauders and Lily’s three best friends had filled the box and had not let Lily get any rest. All she wanted was peace and quiet. Sirius had made sure that it wouldn’t happen anytime soon. Hannah and Sirius had not been seen for at least an hour, but the girls who had come to talk about Quidditch with James (or goggle at him) created such a clamor that Lily felt a migraine coming on.


“James, I think you are definitely going to win the House Cup this year. I mean, you may be the only truly good player on the team, and-” began a blonde Lily did not recognize, but she had had enough.


“Out! OUT! Anyone who is not a Prefect, get out now!” Lily yelled, finally getting some control of the situation. “Out, before I start taking points! OUT!” Lily yelled, finally getting some control of the situation. The crowd evaporated, and only Beth, Jessica, Remus, Peter, Amos Diggory, and James were left seated.


“Well done,” said James, very gentlemen-like, clapping lightly. Lily scoffed and sat back down near the window. James sat next to Remus, in the corner across near the door. What's with her?


Lupin seemed to know what James was thinking, and beckoned him outside into the hallway.


“Yes, Moony?” James said, closing the door.


Remus smiled weakly. “What’s going on with her?”


“Merlin if I know,” said James angrily. “For a while I thought… while I thought I had progressed from hate to…”


“Supreme dislike?” offered Remus.


James squinted.


“Prongs, you need to keep in mind what Lily’s got going on in her head.” Lupin sighed, speaking wearily. “She likes you, she hates you, she’s confused, ambitious to a fault, and you go around making a public service announcement out of a possible relationship.”


James’ jaw dropped. “How do get all that? Gone Legilimens on me?”


“It’s not all that difficult to get, Prongsy. You just have to read between the lines.”


James smiled. “Meaning, Jessica told you?”


Lupin paused, sighing.


“Jessica told me. Anyway, here’s an idea…”


As James and Remus left, Lily sat up. Lupin had always been a good friend to Lily, even when Sirius and James were around; they had both been Prefects for the past two years, and they regarded each other as siblings more than classmates. He was the only member of the group with any sense, not to mention that he liked Jessica. In fact, Lily was often the one telling her best friend to talk to Remus, since Jessica really liked him, too.


“What do you think that’s about?” Jessica asked, looking suspiciously about the compartment window.


“I’d say it’s a little guy talk,” Amos piped up. Lily shot him a dangerous glare. Amos cowered a little and tried to focus back on Beth, with whom he was flirting. Pompous was the word the came to mind when Lily was around Amos – nice, but a little too boastful at times, always very proud of himself. Bethany, who usually had low self-esteem, saw Amos as a wonderful leader and perfect boyfriend.


“Anyone seen Sirius?” Peter asked sleepily. He had been sleeping underneath his jacket.


“No, but I would guess he’s with…” Jessica stopped when Lily flared her nostrils and threw daggers with her eyes to shut Jess up. “Um… well, anyway. Oh, hi, guys.” Remus and James had reentered the box.


“James, can I talk to you?” Lily motioned towards the hall.


James looked at Lily, nonplussed, then at Remus. Remus gave him a raised eyebrow, as if to say, What else do you have to do?


Giving in, James moved back out into the hall. Lily followed, nearly tripping on Peter’s feet, which were sticking out into the aisle. James grabbed her arm as she stumbled, but let go the second she had regained her footing.


“Uh… thanks,” was all Lily could muster. She saw a kindness in James that was not at all helping her confusion.


“It’s nothing.”


“Well, I just wanted to ask you a favor.”


He stared. “A favor?”


“Yes. Well, I just think that this is going to be a really long year if we can’t get along. I just… well, this year is important to me, and I just wanted to ask you to swear to help me.”


“Can’t get along?” His tone was no less than incredulous.


She looked uncomfortable, not meeting his eyes. “Promise?”


The train rocked beneath their feet, making James stumble into the wall.


“Are you alright?” asked Lily, as James swore, rubbing his elbow where it had hit the window.


“Never been better.”


Several more awkward seconds passed, the train rattling on, James looked at Lily.


“You want me to promise,” he said slowly, crossing his arms, “to behave, then?”


“I didn’t phrase it like that… But yes.”


“Fine.”


James nodded, then returned brusquely to the compartment, where Sirius and Lupin were in a chocolate frog eating contest.


*****



The rest of the train ride was gone in the blink of an eye.


Pretty soon it was time to get off the craziest ride to Hogwarts Lily had ever had the displeasure of experiencing, including when Sirius had tried to hang her by her ankles to the ceiling in second year (she had ended up hexing his hair blue, which did nothing but get him more attention from girls, even then).


The weather at the station was uncharacteristically good, clearer around Hogwarts than it had been on the train ride. Every star shone its brightest light. Lily watched in remembrance from the door off the train as the first years gathered near the caretaker to board the boats across the lake. Jessica had been nice to Lily, who had been a little shy, beginning a deep bond of friendship.


“Um, Lily…”


Lily jumped but didn’t bother to turn around.


“Yes?” she said impatiently, temper flaring easily.


“You might want to follow me out of here…” James coaxed.


“And why would I follow you anywhere?”


“Because you’re blocking the way off the train.”


Lily quickly stepped forward to let off about fifteen other kids, all eying her as though worried she way need to be put in special ward at St. Mungo’s.


“Thanks,” Lily finally said. He chuckled, automatically messing his hair in the back.


Just as she was about to say something to James, Lily heard someone call her.


“Yeah, Jess, what is it?” Lily called, walking over to her best friend, leaving James in the smiley-mood he hadn’t been in since… the day before.


“Lils, c’mon! We’re gonna lose our carriage!” Jessica whined, pulling Lily into the horseless car after her.


*****



Finally, at almost ten that evening, Professor Dumbledore had made his speech – tremendous, as usual – about the yearly reminders, including introducing Lily and James as Head students. Lily blushed furiously when her name was called, but James just stood and nodded politely, giving a new meaning to cool. Several girls had been staring at him all through dinner – he had been working out for Quidditch all summer, and it showed.


Everyone was sent to bed with full stomachs and satisfyingly tired brains. Tomorrow they would start work. Not tonight.


*****



James landed smoothly on the ground, wishing practice didn’t have to be over.


It was the beginning of a crisp and blustery October. Quidditch training had begun, better than ever, maybe because James was captain… Sirius had been beating splendidly, James had been chasing with lightning speed, and the entire team had played like a machine. A perfect, killing, winning machine. They were definitely going to flatten Slytherin in the first Quidditch match that Saturday. Making his way to the changing rooms, James heard someone call. Turning, he saw Sirius running to catch up.


“What’s up, mate?” James asked, once Sirius had caught up.


“Jog with me.”


James noticed the look in his friend’s eyes, and they both half-ran to the changing rooms off the field. Once inside the safety of the tents, James sat on the bench and waited for Sirius to say something.


“Well?” asked James after watching Sirius pace up and down the length of the door several times.


“Guess who I saw coming down toward the field a minute ago.”


James stared back, completely nonplussed. “Tell me.”


Sirius stared down at James and smiled. “Evans.” James felt his eyes bulge.


“Sh- she what? She hates Quidditch! She never comes near here! She told me so!” James stood, taking Sirius’ pacing strides.


“That’s what I thought…”


“Why in the world –” began James, sitting down.


“For you, Prongs. She had just nearly reached the field when I came over,” he added, making James practically fall off the bench.


Maybe she had changed her mind! Maybe all of this horrible silence about the kiss was over! “Wh-wh… What do I do, Padfoot? What if she –”


“Came to her senses?” Sirius asked with heavy sarcasm. “Realized she loves you? Wants to become Mrs. ‘Arrogant Prat’?”


“Needs to talk about Hogsmeade?”


Sirius whipped around as James stared, again open-mouthed, at the fuming girl in the doorway. Lily. Her hair floated to the side, the wind blowing into the tent and sending a chill all around.


“I think I’ll… go!” said Sirius cautiously, running the last few feet out of the changing rooms.


Lily rounded on James, marching over and pushing him as she spoke. “James Potter, you arrogant little –”


“Lily, you can’t just come into the end a conversation and assume everything!”


“OK, fine then, James. Let’s pretend that I don't know anything. Explain it to me.”


“Well, um…” James sighed desperately. “Can we just start over? Don’t listen to what Sirius was running his big mouth off about… What did you need me for?” Lily scowled at his choice of words.


“I wanted to speak to you because we need plan the next Hogsmeade trip. You haven’t forgotten, have you?”


“No, I actually… give me a second…” James went behind the curtain, found his book bag, and dug out a long sheet of parchment, returning to Lily with the paper clutched in his hand. “This,” he said, handing her his list, “is the list of possible dates, and also the Prefects who had said they can’t make it on the trip for supervision.” Don’t want to, more like, James thought, reading the bottom of his page.


“Also,” he continued, “I owled out to a few bands for the ball, and several sent back long letters. I had to agree to attend a few goblin dinners, but it was not that bad. Met a girl, actually. Bvelenaka. Great dancer.”


Realizing he was rambling, he stopped and handed the aforementioned bookings to her. Looking at her, James smiled as he recognized the same look of surprise he had been wearing minutes ago.


“Wow. I, uh… Wow.” After a while Lily still could not say anything comprehensive. Lily looked up suddenly, feeling very grateful for a partner. Her Advanced Potions homework might get finished after all. “Well… good job. So, do you want to go over this now?”


James decided he was too sweaty and very uncomfortable. “Lily, I kind of need to, you know… change.”


“Oh, OH! Of course you do! Oh, I’m… Oh!” Lily covered her eyes with her free hand, as if James had been wearing a towel instead of his Quidditch uniform and his clothes. “I’ll just… see you tonight at the meeting. I really didn’t mean to –”


“Lily Evans, were you trying to see me change?” James asked, trying (and failing) to contain his amusement.


“Ugh!” groaned Lily, flicking the tent doors open with her wand and storming back up to the castle. James couldn’t help but laugh as he began to change.


******



Gryffindor slaughtered the Slytherins at the match the next Saturday. Sirius credited Taxus Wilkes’ utter lack of common sense or reflexes. James, however, totally disagreed.

He credited the success to the fact that Lily had showed up about fifteen minutes in, her red hair billowing in the dramatic wind surrounding the pitch. When a bludger hit James in the rib, Lily had run down to the sidelines to “make sure she didn’t have to do all the work herself.” He had pleaded with the nurse, Madame Pomfrey (aged about fifty), to let him return to the field after she had made sure he didn’t have any broken ribs. In the end, the nurse couldn’t deny her hopes for a Gryffindor victory and had to give in.


*****



The weeks rushed by, and soon Halloween was upon them. Thankfully, the holiday was on a Friday, giving an opportunity to have the village trip on that Saturday, the first day of November. The Quidditch match between Ravenclaw and Gryffindor had been scheduled for Saturday evening. For the Halloween feast, Professor Dumbledore had created a truly awesome sight. Lily had arranged for a dozen gigantic pumpkins to decorate the entire Great Hall; James had ordered a menu for the occasion, to the delight of a “starving” Sirius.

Most importantly, in retaliation against Snape, who had recently spread itching potion over Sirius’ shoes – he had noticed in time, only to be angrier than ever with Snape – the Marauders had plotted to pull a grand stunt on all of Slytherin house. Sirius had planted one firework into each treacle tart, enchanting all the rockets to go off precisely as dinner was expected to begin at eight.


Lily was just about to sample a bit of the sweet potato pie, smiling at a joke Remus had just told them all, when about a hundred of firecracker-like pops went off from the other end of the hall.


Everyone looked over to see 75 rockets and other fireworks explode in brilliant colors and shapes, leaving great burn marks across the faces of the enraged Slytherins. For a nearly a minute, there was chaos. Finally, the smoke cleared. Except for the house of green, the entire hall roared with cheers of laughter and applause.


Sirius began to get up, as if to stand on the bench and give an acceptance speech, but all three other Marauders pulled him pack to his seat. Lily dropped her fork with a clatter to her feet, not that the noise could be heard through the jeering and explosions still erupting from the now dying sparklers.


Jessica giggled to see the huge scorch marks and fizzing hair that was Snape. Lily was tempted to join in herself, but she saw, at that second, the struggling of the Marauders to restrain Sirius, and she knew.


*****



Dumbledore did not punish anyone, much to the dismay of Snape; Filch had threatened adding another mark to Sirius’ “already besmirched record,” but it was an empty threat.


“You will regret this, Black,” snarled Snape, walking with the rest of his strange gang, covered in burns (most of which forming rude words on his oily skin).


“I don’t think we will,” James said, laughing maliciously.


“James!” hissed Lily, from across the table.


Severus seemed even more angry at Lily’s whisper. “So, got your connections all set, Black? Must be fabulous to have the Heads in the palm of your hand. And a mudblood no less.”


“Out!” shouted James, wand suddenly unsheathed, on his feet. Nearly every student in the surrounding seats became quiet.


Snape smiled nastily and left.


“Great burns, Snivellus!” Sirius called after him, and the entire Gryffindor table burst into laughter.


*****



Sirius had celebrated that night in the common room with his friends over bottles of butterbeer.


“Nice one, Black!” called Earnestine Shook, a sixth year. A rumble of agreement passed through the crowd, coupled with several shouts of, “Here, Here!”


Sirius grinned. “No problem.”


In a sour mood, Lily tapped James on the shoulder and pulled him from the group towards the bottom of the girls’ stairs.


“How could you!?” she asked in fury, careful to lower her voice.


“Which ‘how could I’ are we talking about?” James said, smirking and taking a swig of his drink.


“You knew about that stunt at dinner! Someone could have been hurt, James, I mean, really! One boy is in the hospital wing because of a burn on his hand!” she ranted, whispering poisonously.


“How can I?” retorted James. He was using the same deadly whisper, though not as mad at her. “What about you? How can you take it? You let Snape insult you, and you don’t even enjoy it when they get what’s coming to them!”


“James, there’s a difference between being angry with people and injuring them as retaliation!” She spoke in a tone of exhaustion, putting her hand and massaging her temples. “I mean, Merlin, James! Please give me some kind of excuse, please!”


James thought with lightning speed, running through every alibi imaginable. Finally, he rested on a compromise instead. “If I promise to persuade the guys to loosen up on the stunts, can we forget about this one?” Lily thought for a moment. It was a little funny…Not to mention, if James joined Remus against the stupid pranks, it would be even…Maybe it was worth forgetting in order to abolish the rest.


“Fine. You swear to tell them to go way lighter on the jokes?” Lily confirmed, suspicious.


“Yes,” exclaimed James in relief.


“Alright. I’ll forget this one happened.” James breathed a heavy sigh. “BUT, if and when the next one comes, I will have to remember this incident,” she warned.


“Good enough for me,” said James. Lily stuck out her hand. James shook it without a second thought. As their hands touched, a shock zapped them both and Lily pulled away. Feeling odd, Lily turned to go back to her room. James watched as she retreated. Lily turned back around, saw him still standing there, and gave him a small grin.


“Goodnight, James.”


“Night.”


She tilted her head and smiled a little wider, then turned and walked over to the stairs.


The next day – Saturday – was long and dull for James. Remus had succeeded in convincing Jessica to walk around Hogsmeade with him. Sirius had, of course, found a place on the edge of the town to take Hannah; in fact, Sirius had planned a very romantic picnic, much to the delight of both. Peter hadn’t been seen since early that morning, and Remus had confided his suspicion of Wormtail’s possible location – sleeping back at school.


James was bored out of his mind at the thought of going solo, and none of the usual bimbos appealed to him, so instead he decided to study his notes for Quidditch strategies in the common room. Lily had, apparently, also decided not to go into town, since she could be found at lunch in the Great Hall, along with the younger kids and the older ones who had stayed behind. Unfortunately for her, James decided to sit next to Lily during their meal.


“Lily!” exclaimed James dramatically, plopping beside her.


“Hello.”


He looked around. Her regular bodyguards were nowhere in sight. “Where’s uh… Amos’ girl, you know… what’s-her-name?” James asked brightly, serving himself some sandwiches.


“Bethany,” Lily supplied, “and she went with Amos today.”


“So… are you coming to the match?” he said, changing topics swiftly.


“I’m not sure – probably not, actually,” said Lily, oddly happy to talk about something as boring as this.


“Why not?” he said in disbelief. “I mean, last time you came, we all played better! You can be our... good luck charm?”


“Maybe.” She smiled slightly.


“Good.” He put down his utensils, grabbed a sandwich, and rose from the table. He added, “Because I really do play better when you’re around.”

Lily kept staring down at her plate, smiling into her pumpkin juice. As much as she disliked James at times, he could always manage to be sweet. James had the impulse to kiss her on the top of her head, but kept his cool and walked away with a smile.


*****



Very late that night, James shooed the rest of his team and the other Gryffindors (all of whom had been partying since the match had ended) to bed. It had been a long evening for such a long day. The Quidditch match against Ravenclaw had gone perfectly; the Gryffindors had won, 250 to 30.


Smiling inwardly, James looked around and found Lily asleep in the armchair by the window.


He moved over next to her, removing the large hat of a Gryffindor lion from atop his head. She stirred as he pulled up a chair.


Yawning tiredly, she said, “Wonderful match. You did well.”


“Mighty praise!” he said appreciatively.


“As though you need it.”


He grinned.


“I’m going to bed, then,” Lily said. She stood, untangling her feet from her robes.


“Lily!” said another voice. Lily looked up at James, who shrugged and turned around.


“Kyle, er… hi!” Lily got up and stood next to James, who also rose, glaring at his fellow seventh year. Kyle Brendly was a short, fairly unattractive boy. He had never had the charisma or skill to be part of the Marauders’ group, but he had his interesting moments. Or, at least, had once had…


“Great game, Potter!” Kyle said, not bothering to look at James.


“Yeah, thanks.”


“So, Lily, you weren’t in Hogsmeade today!” said Kyle.


“Wow, you noticed, did you?” said James to himself. Unfortunately, Lily heard him and stomped on his foot.


“No, I was studying, actually,” Lily admitted with a smile.


James was flabbergasted. She was smiling at this disgusting pea-brained boy? Flirting with him?


“…So, can we talk for a moment?”


James interceded before Lily could reply. “Well, Kyle, as much as Lily wants to talk, she was just saying how that rash on her feet was starting to spread.” Lily stared, but James continued. “Got to go apply that unction, eh, Lils?”


“Oh,” said Kyle, plainly disgusted.


“No, I –”


“Lily, don’t worry! I have some extra in the dormitory if you need it! Go ahead to bed, I’ll give it to you in the morning.”


She was looking both mortified and murderous, auburn hair crackling.


“Night, Kyle!” said James.


“Er… night, then.” He smiled at Lily, then disappeared up the staircase.


James nodded in approval.


“Night, then, Lily,” said James, before she could think of what to say. And he, too, disappeared, leaving Lily fuming with rage and embarrassment.



Read and review!!!!!!