Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Princess and the Prat by DanielRadcliffeandMe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N- Read and review.





Chapter 7 – Trying to Be Honest








James couldn’t sleep.

Ever since the Quidditch match, Lily had been less anxious to leave a room as he entered it. During classes, she often smiled or whispered jokes between assignments. He had tried not to notice, but it was very difficult not to gaze into her almond-shaped eyes for hours.

Well, until... him...

*****


Lily sat in Transfiguration, a few days after the Quidditch match. Sadly, this was not her best subject. Professor McGonagall was a great teacher, but the spells were more difficult, required more instantaneous magic. Charms was more up Lily’s alley: imagining what her task, performing the spell, and it was done.

Now, James was an entirely different matter.

She had dreamed the night of the Quidditch match that James had flown her to bed… It was a strange dream, but oddly comforting. Being around James had always been comfortable, even if it hadn’t been enjoyable. Lily had never been afraid to stand up to him and say – shout – exactly what she wanted. Often, she found it therapeutic.

“I knew you would,” whispered Hannah over her horklump.

“Would what?” Lily retorted under her breath. It was difficult enough to concentrate, never mind gossip while do so.

“Fall for him.”

Her emerald eyes flared. “What are you talking about? I am not falling for James.”

After a pause (and a small squeak from the horklump), Hannah responded. “I never said a name, Lily.” Hannah grinned knowingly.

Unfortunately, Hannah’s predictions had a tendency to be true. Madam Chariclo, the Divination teacher, was one of Hannah’s biggest fans.

Lily made every attempt to get rid of her thoughts of James, but they kept sneaking up on her. Like now.

At the end of the period, James was talking with Sirius and Remus, joking it seemed, not bothering to rush back to the common room.

God, he looks amazing.

What? Lily was shocked that such a thought had formed in her head. Not just formed, but practically spilled from her mouth.

At that second, James looked up, and smiled even wider. She tried to smile back, but wasn’t entirely sure it had worked… he did look amazing…. NO, he DIDN’T! What was wrong with her?

Before she got herself into any more trouble, Lily swept from the room.

That night at dinner, Lily could barely eat. Every time she looked up, her eyes seemed to wonder over towards… him.

“Hey, Lily!” said a voice behind her.

Still very confused, Lily turned. “Hello, Michael.”

Of course, Michael Pretone. He was a Ravenclaw, also a seventh year, and in line with James. Unfortunately for Michael, he had none of James’ Quidditch talent, or his hair, or his eyes, or…

“How are you?” he asked.

“Pretty good,” she lied back. James was staring at her, and she was doing all she could not to turn her attention from Michael.

“Good.” Why was he acting so nervous? “Well, actually Lily, I was wondering if you wanted to go to Hogsmeade with me?”

Whoa. If ever her focus had been wavering, it was back. Date Michael? Umm, no, thanks. “That’s a little far off,” said Lily, stunned.

“I know,” Michael said, now looking desperate, “so maybe we could hang out before then. How about Saturday?”

Jessica and Hannah had noticed as well. Michael was standing, looking down at Lily as though he might cry, and she felt extremely cornered. “Alright, I suppose.”

“Really?”

“Yes, I’d love to.” Somewhere behind her Hannah snorted, but no one else noticed.

“Great! Well… I’ll see you later, then.”

Lily nodded, very cool.

As he walked away, she tried to return to her food. Jessica was trying to catch Lily’s eye, but failing.

What had she done? Michael Pretone, the dork who constantly was asking for homework help from every girl in school? And she was dating him?

“Lily, are you –”

“I’m going upstairs,” said Lily. As she swung her bag onto her shoulder, she saw James. His usually contagious smile was nowhere to be found; he looked as though someone had told him that he was now in charge of controlling the Slytherins.

For a fraction of a second, she considered running over, apologizing profusely, and telling him she would gladly go out with him instead. But next second, she had reminded herself: You don’t like him.

What did she owe him? He was an arrogant prat, playing every girl within these stone walls, and he had no right to dictate her dating choices.

Now completely disgruntled, she walked hastily from the Great Hall. Half way up the stairs, fiery hair flying behind her, someone called her back.

“Lily! Hey, Evans!” James.

She stopped but didn’t turn. He caught up with her on the third floor landing.

“Lily!” His hazel eyes appeared from behind his thin-framed glasses several inches above her natural line of sight.

“What is it, Potter, I’ve got homework?” She hoisted her bag higher on her shoulder for effect.

He was giving her that same downtrodden look as before. “Are you dating that Pretone bloke?” he asked bluntly.

“Yes.”

He laughed hollowly, but didn’t speak. After an excruciating second, struggling with himself, he smiled sourly and walked up toward the tower.

“James!” she called, running after him.

“What?” he called back. His robes billowed as he took long strides up the huge stairs.

“No need to take that tone,” she chorused angrily. She was supposed to be the one storming off, not him!

“Just because you’re beautiful, Lily, doesn’t mean you can lecture people.”

Her stomach did an involuntary flip at this, but she suppressed it. “I’m not lecturing you, I just wanted to ask you something.”

They were still climbing the stairs; her breath was extremely shallow, and he was pushing her nerves past endurance.

“Ask away.” Had they not been arguing, he would have been flashing one of his killer smiles right about now. The kind that made every girl swoon…

“Why do you care?”

He stopped here. They were standing just down the hall from the Fat Lady’s portrait.

“Why do I care?” he repeated. He looked at her, and whatever bitterness had been in his voice was not in his eyes. She realized her own anger was vanishing quickly. “Because, Lily, you’re am –”

“Lily!”

Both Lily and James turned, mid-gaze, and looked at who had interrupted them. Michael Pretone was strolling up the corridor.

“Lily, I forgot,” he said. He was holding some piece of parchment. Beside her, James’ face was hardening, and he looked at her one last staggering time before shaking his head and entering the portrait hole.

“What’s his problem?” Michael asked, stepping beside Lily.

She wanted to yell at Michael, to tell him to go back, and have James come back into the hall. Her auburn hair fell into her face, and she swept it back slowly. God, this was a nightmare.

“Anyway, you didn’t get a chance to write down my schedule.”

“Thanks,” was all she could muster. His schedule? He had interrupted them about a class list…

“See you tomorrow, then.” He gave her a peck on the cheek, smiled, and walked off.

*****


The next few weeks were hell. Classes were getting more complicated, and the entire situation with Lily and… Michael was making James’ head spin.

Sirius and Remus were sportingly trying to help, but neither had succeeded. Every single second James was trying to think about her, it got worse. She was so much smarter than that idiot Pretone boy, and he was ugly. What was so special about him?

Whenever he and Lily were forced in a room together, they spoke in short sentences and didn’t stay long. He wished she would just yell at him, give him an excuse to make her admit she didn’t really like Michael. And then there was the kiss… He hadn’t forgotten that kiss, over a month ago. They hadn’t talked about it – acknowledged it even –, but he wanted to find that Pretone bloke and (after sufficient beating with Sirius’ beater club) make sure he knew who Lily had last kissed.

Sleep was not happening tonight.

In order to get out some energy, he walked over to the window, putting on his glasses, and sat on the bench overlooking the lake. Suddenly, something down on the grass caught his attention.

Out on the grounds, a girl with long red hair was walking around the lake.

James looked at the clock-- it was well past midnight.

What in the world is Lily doing outside? It’s against the rules… thought James.

Pulling on some jeans, a sweatshirt and his trainers, James rushed out of the common room and sped up to his room. Reaching under his bed, James pulled out the invisibility cloak and Marauder’s map. He ran down past the fireplace, through the portrait hole and along the corridors. When he finally got to the front gate, James opened up his map and saw that Lily was still at the lake. James quickly found the secret door around the dungeons out to the grounds, ran out under the cloak, and went to find Lily.

When he had reached her, he stayed invisible so as not to scare her. James saw Lily was pacing, hair and robes fluttering in the light breeze, apparently debating with… herself. He pulled off his cloak as Lily turned away; straightening up and dusting himself off, James cleared his throat.

Lily gasped and backed up a few steps. “Potter! What the… Please, I can’t be seen! How late is it?” she rambled, pulling out her watch.

“Past one, I think,” replied James. He was more terse than he might have been a year ago. “Lily darling, you shouldn’t be out of bed.”

“I’m not supposed to be out here!” she went on, very annoyed by his pet name-calling. “Don’t call me that, James. I am kind of… thinking, so can you… you know, go inside?”

His next words seemed to tumble from his mouth before he could bite them back. “I wanted to talk to you.”

Sighing, Lily nodded, crossing her arms across her chest in impatience. “What is it, then?”

“Remember in Diagon Alley?” Again, he had no idea why these words were coming from his mouth.

She didn’t meet his eyes, but managed to splutter, “We kissed.”

“Glad you remember,” he said quickly. “I wanted to ask you what that was.” She obviously didn’t understand. “You’ve been acting like it never happened. Enlighten me. Are we going to go on, forever, pretending it was some sort of illusion?”

“I… don’t want to talk about it!” Lily told him loudly.

“No need to shout. It’s just a question,” James replied, trying not to upset her further.

“I said I don’t want to talk about it!” yelled Lily, infuriated with his calm demeanor. She was raging inside, and the only outlet was him.

“Just an answer! That’s all! It’s not hard!” James said loudly so as to match her tone, but equally as mad.

“James, that was… not real, OK?” Lily shouted at him, eyes flashing lethally.

“Not real?” She looked for a moment sad, as though the hurt look on his face was angering her.

“No! No…I – I… James, please listen to me. I just… I just…” She swayed on the spot. He rushed over to help her but she stepped back.

“I’m fine, just let me get this out. James -” she said, looking him straight in the eyes. “James, that was most honest second I have ever had with myself, and since then I’ve been trying to tell myself that that was just me being hormonal and tired and crazy. I’ve been denying that…I have never felt more right in doing anything.

“If you have given up, or you don’t care anymore, I understand. I just thought you should know.” She took a deep breath. “You, James Potter, are without a doubt, the only, once and forever love of my life.”

They looked at each other for several seconds, which felt more like years.

“I may like Quidditch, Lily, but I don’t like games.”

“I get that you don’t believe me,” she said, and something in her voice was pleading. “Why would you? But Michael is nothing. All of those guys, they’re nothing. You’re so great and I am so, so sorry I hurt your feelings.”

Shock was spreading through him. Ecstasy, showed by skepticism. “Do you want to go out with me?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said, and, at long last, she smiled. “I would be happy to,” she added.

“Why? Why now?” He was confused, and as much as he wanted to believe her, he knew it could all be some sort of trick. A cruel joke.

“I don’t know,” Lily replied honestly. “If I did know, I’d tell you. There are so many little things. But every time I see you now, all I can think is, ‘What did I do?’”

“You’re not joking, are you?”

She looked at him, emerald eyes over bright and earnest. “No.”

And he believed her. “You know I could never turn down an invitation like that.”

She was laughing, or crying, he couldn’t tell, but he moved forward and caught her kiss. Fireworks, better than any combination he had invented or bought from any shop, lit the air around them. He was kissing Lily Evans, the girl of his dreams, and she wasn’t pulling away.

He broke for air, smiling, and was even happier to see she was smiling too. He touched his forehead to her’s, smelling her wonderful scent.

“Is there any chance Michael Pretone is awake?” he asked, never losing his smile.

“Why?” she whispered, slightly shocked.

“His arrogant little face would just make this night too good to be true.”

She smirked. “He’ll be gone tomorrow.”

“Very good,” said James, nodding. “One last thing, then.”

They were standing now in a small garden, near the side of the school that opened up onto the lake’s lawn. Cool, stone steps led back to the castle, and graceful wooden benches adorned the yard between flowering bushes. He lowered her onto a bench.

“What’s that?” asked Lily, tilting her head to one side.

He couldn’t stop himself – he wasn’t sure if he meant it or not – but he dropped to one knee. “Lily Evans, will you marry me?”

She laughed smilingly, then not sure he was joking, asked “What?”

“Sorry,” he said, getting up. “Swept up, won’t happen again.” He stood up and looked down at her (he was nearly a foot taller).

“That wasn’t funny,” Lily said, smiling largely now. They sat on the bench for several minutes, not speaking.

“James?” she said, into his arm.

“Hmm?”

“What were you going to say when Michael interrupted us?” She didn’t have to say when.

Grinning again – or was it still? – he looked at her. “That you are amazing, and gorgeous. And smart. And funny. That you’re the most amazing girl in the entire world, and if you would go on one date with me I could explain how much I like you.”

She looked at him, feeling cool water in her eyes. “I really like you, James Potter." She stood up.

He hugged her; she was lost in his broad, protective shoulders and comforting arms.

“We…. We need to get back to bed.”

He arched an eyebrow.

“To our dormitories, you prat, not a brothel.”

With a fake sigh, he held her hand tightly. They walked very slowly (it was far more difficult than she thought to walk and kiss), but eventually made it back to bed, without being seen.

After an eternity in the empty halls, they found themselves back in the common room.

“Goodnight,” she said sweetly. He wouldn’t release her hand, not yet. It was like a dream he didn’t want to wake from.

“Can’t you just come upstairs?”

She looked offended. “James, I don’t want you to think –”

“You can sleep on my bed,” he interrupted, “and I can sleep… under… the bed.”

This time, she raised an eyebrow. “That makes no sense. Goodnight.”

Lily made her way, reluctantly, to her room, and had opened the door a crack when she noticed a light was on. Beth and Jessica were still awake.

Quickly, and unsure as to why, Lily closed the door, and raced back downstairs.

James was still standing in the same spot, though truly amused. “Good morning, sunshine.”

“They’re… they’re awake!” whispered Lily frantically. “Oh, god! They’re all going to want an explanation, and then the entire school will know… oh, god!” She swore, temper rising.

He chuckled. “My, my, Evans, you don’t disappoint.”

“Be quiet, Potter, I’m trying to work this out.” She walked around, not noticing James’ widening grin. “What?” she demanded finally.

“Looks like my solution is the only way,” James said, shrugging. “Shame, isn’t it? Oh well!”

She looked imploringly at him, then at the sofa, the stairs. “Let the record show that I refuse to do anything of a less than proper nature.”

“The record will put it in bold ink,” James said, nodding. He took her hand supportively, and they walked up the stairs.

The boys dormitory was lit only by moonlight – a glorious crescent moon was shining in. James’ bed was the second on her right, the only empty bed.

She walked over to his bedside. Pictures of his parents, of the Marauders, a few magazines, and an Auror booklet covered his stand. Instantly she was drawn to the Auror pamphlet.

“You are?” she asked in a whisper, picking it up and showing it to him.

“Yeah.”

She was impressed; he tried not to look too pompous. Reflexively, she yawned.

“You’re tired!” he said, remembering the hour.

“And you,” she said, with a coy smile, “are in no fashion watching me undress.”

“Undress into what, exactly?”

She didn’t answer.

“I have my Quidditch robes?” he offered, in the same hushed tone.

“They’ll do,” she said, accepting them as he drew his scarlet and gold robes from his armoire. “Turn around.”

He obeyed, and heard her unzip something, then several rustles of fabric, and then the creak of bedsprings.

“Thank you,” she said. Her auburn hair was clashing with his gold-and-scarlet robes, but her emerald eyes shone.

“Never been more welcome.” James, trying to feel tired, found his pajamas and went to the bathroom to change. When he emerged, Lily had eased herself down in the bed; she looked comfortable. Her eyes traveled quickly over his loose shirt and plaid pants, before resting in his eyes.

“Goodnight,” she said, yet again.

He could tell she was asleep within minutes, but he wasn’t as lucky. After a long sustained silence from Lily, James stood up from his make-shift bed of blankets under his real bed. She looked so beautiful, sleeping. Her perfume would be on his pillows for a long while after, as well, he was sure. Resigned, he pulled the curtains shut around her protectively, and got back on the floor.

Some part of him couldn’t believe it. The rest of him was yearning to shout, “YAY!” at the top of his lungs. When he finally did sleep, it was only with the knowledge of what he had gained, and what he had to keep up with.

*****


The next morning was Saturday. No one in James’ suite usually got up before 10 o’clock on weekends, unlike this morning. This morning, Sirius Black – who had not heard James come back from his rendezvous with Lily the night before – woke up worried about his best friend. He rolled over in his bed, looked at the clock on his nightstand to see that it was just past seven A.M.

Lily wouldn’t hurt James, would she? thought Sirius. She has got some temper…

As early as it was, Sirius could not go back to sleep, and so proceeded to wake Remus and ask about their missing friend.

“Huh, what?” asked a groggy Remus.

“Well, Moony old boy! Seems our Prongs got lucky last night, ‘cause he didn’t come back…” Sirius let the rest go unsaid.

“Nope. Sorry to disappoint, but I heard him come in at about one or one-thirty. I could have dreamt it, but –”

Just then, Sirius noticed that James’ hangings were closed.

“Look, Moony. He never does that…” Sirius whispered slowly.

Remus looked over at the bed, and forgetting his sleepiness, he rolled out from the warmth of his four-poster. Sirius led the way slowly toward the bed, where he gradually removed the drapes. The two boys stared down at the scene before them.

Lily was wrapped in James’ spare Quidditch robes.

Remus gaped. “Oh my god.”

Just as he was about to approach her, Remus tripped over an arm on the floor. James’ arm.

“Well done, JAMES!” Sirius shouted. James woke suddenly. Realizing his current position – under Lily and in front of his friends, a.k.a. ‘not good’ – he put his finger to his mouth for quiet, and stood up, ushering his friends away from Lily. This protective thing wouldn’t go away.

“Fine,” Sirius whispered, trying not to howl with laughter. “Well, Prongsy, I knew she’d come to her senses… though, I did not know she’d come so fast, or so far…”

“James, please explain yourself before Sirius here goes blabbing the…er…more elaborate version all over the place,” said Remus, serious but smiling.

“Alright, but if you tell anyone you will no longer have any desire to date.” They nodded. “Well,” James began diplomatically, “we’re sort of… together…”

“The understatement of the year!” said Sirius, throwing his hands in the air.

“And last night, she said she needed to…stay here, so she did. You both know how long this has taken” – Sirius nodded, looking back at Lily – “So just… keep it quiet, alright?”

“Ugh. Honestly, James, you take the fun out of pranking and blackmail!” Sirius retorted.

“It’s only temporary,” whispered James thankfully. “Believe me, I want to make a banner for her and throw a ball in her honor, but –”

“Oh you do, do you?” said Lily, rolling over to see a startled three-quarters of the Hogwarts Pranking Society.

James recovered first. “Hi, sweet. How did you sleep?” asked James kindly, brushing the hair out of her eyes.

“If at all,” Sirius muttered.

“Shut up, Padfoot,” James hissed menacingly. “So, Lils, you did sleep alright, yes?”

She smiled and sat up, careful to keep his robes covering her. “Of course.” .

You're also very, very attractive when I’ve just kissed you – mind, I haven’t had much practice for that one…” she added, tracing his lips with her finger.


“Aww, yuck! Get a grip, you two!” Sirius said in mock disgust from behind his arms, shielding his face.


Henry Kim and Kyle Brendly, the fifth and sixth Gryffindor boys in the suite were no longer fast asleep. Sirius dragged Peter out of bed, to the door and pushed him out towards the common room. Remus said from the door, “Don’t worry. We won’t tell… not even Wormtail. See you…um…later.”

And with a click of the door, Remus was gone. After they heard him walking downstairs, Lily got up and did several complicated locking charms on the door.

“Wow,” James said in awe.

She returned and laughed.

She climbed back next to James who smiled and kissed her cheek.

“Honestly Potter, I didn’t lock the door for a peck!”

“You have no idea how much you saying ‘Potter’ gets to me,” James admitted, grinning.

“Oh, really? Potter… Potter … Potter…” she said, kissing him first on the cheek, then on the lips.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, did I?” James said worried, when Lily pulled away a few minutes later.

“No.” She smiled and kissed him lightly. “We have to stop, though. I have to go break-up with my boyfriend.”

He grimaced.

“Unless you don’t want me to,” she said, looking indifferent.

“If you must, you must,” he said in the same tone.

“Then I should probably go get dressed. Most of the guys aren’t used to this outfit.”

They grinned, and she pushed away the covers, exposing her lower legs. “Watch it,” she cautioned, but she couldn’t hide her smile.

“Here,” he said, as she neared the door. She caught his invisibility cloak, thankful for something to cover herself. In a second, she had disappeared, and the dormitory room opened, then shut for an invisible user.

*****


He entered the Great Hall for breakfast, sitting with Sirius and Remus in a chair close to where Lily usually sat. He poured himself some cereal, not turning around to face the Ravenclaw table.

“What have you done?” asked Remus, careful to keep his voice down.

“I haven’t done a thing!” James replied.

“What’s she done, then?” Sirius said.

“Had her wicked way with me,” James said happily.

“And I was hungry!” said Remus, pushing away his plate.

“I was kidding, Moony. She just went to ditch that stupid Ravenclaw git.”

“Well done,” said Sirius with approval.

“WHAT?” came a shriek from the other side of the hall. Thankfully, it was early for the weekend, otherwise the entire school would have seen Michael Pretone throwing a fit at Lily’s dismissal.

“I just think we should be friends,” said Lily. She, unlike Michael, was keeping her voice down.

“Al – alright, if you want.” He seemed very choked up.

“You’re really sweet,” said Lily kindly, and she gave him a kiss on the cheek.

James heard the peck a mile away, and had whipped around to see if she had indeed kissed him. As Michael walked away, sullen faced, Lily was making her way toward the Gryffindor table. She sat next to James on the bench, wrapping her arm in his.

“You had a nice night, then? Sex wasn’t too loud, yeah?” asked Sirius.

“It was better this way,” said Lily mysteriously. “Good day to you all.” And she slid down to join Hannah, Beth, and Jessica, all of whom were looking perplexed at the Marauders.

James smiled and shrugged. Well played, Evans, well played.










Read and review, people! It's fun!