Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From My Perch by Waddiwasi chik

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I have an unhealthy obsession with a fictional boy. Ah well, at least I’m not alone. You all know I’m not JKR, so there’s no use telling you otherwise. If you cared who I was, you’d read my author information, or whatever it’s called. If you’ve seen it in a HP book, it’s probably not mine.



Chapter Ten: Scheming, Skirmishing, and Settling Down

Lunch passed happily enough. Mrs. Weasley seemed determined to make everyone eat until they were about to burst. (“You’ve had nothing to eat since yesterday!”) Rachel was attempting to play thumb-wars with both Fred and George at the same time, Ron and Luna were holding hands, Draco and Ginny were conversing in low whispers, Hermione was going over her O.W.L. grades for the fifty-five zillionth time, and Harry was staring at his food.

When they had all finished eating, Ginny dragged Luna, Hermione, and Rachel off to their room. The boys went up to Harry and Ron’s room, and I followed.

“Your owl does like to be involved in everything, doesn’t she?” asked Draco.

“Yeah, well,” said Harry, stroking my feathers, “My life is rather interesting, innit?”

“No kidding, just about any bloke would swap places with you any time,” said George.

“I wouldn’t,” said Fred.

“That’s only because you’ve got someone to snog now,” said Ron.

“I beg your pardon,” said Fred, raising an eyebrow at Ron. “Rachel and I do not spend every waking minute kissing “ or as she calls it, swapping saliva “ unlike some people I know. We choose to employ our time more productively.”

Ron’s ears turned red. Draco and George laughed. Harry stared out the window.

“Oi, Harry! Can you hear me, mate?” asked Ron, looking concerned.

“What “ oh, sorry,” said Harry, jerking his gaze away from the window.

“What’s wrong with you?” asked Fred. “You’ve been acting funny ever since we got back this morning.”

“He looks exactly like Fred did before he and Rachel got together, you know, always staring at nothingness!” said George. “Who’re you thinking ‘bout?”

“I’m not thinking about any “” said Harry, but was cut off by the entrance of the girls.

“Hey Fred “ George “ Harry “ Ron “ Draco,” said Rachel, looking around at the boys.

“Hey,” they said in unison. Rachel walked over and sat on the bed between Fred and George. The other girls sat down, with the exception of Luna.

“Ronald… can I see you outside?” she asked.

“Sure,” said Ron, sounding eager. He got up and bounded happily toward the door.

“And off they go! No doubt to some highly romantic broom closet,” said George as Ron and Luna disappeared.

Fred turned to Rachel, and whispered in her ear. “Speaking of highly romantic broom closets…” She turned to face him, grinning mischievously. Before I knew it, they had disappeared as well.

Ginny laughed. “Do you know what she said to us when we first met her, George?” He shook his head. “She said, “I’ve not the time, or the need for blokes. Much to troublesome, if you ask me.” That’s exactly what she said, isn’t it, Harry?”

“Yeah, I suppose,” said Harry, not even smiling.

“Well, we should go stop them before they exchange “ wait “ swap too much saliva,” said Draco. Ginny and George followed him out of the room. Ginny closed the door behind them, but not before giving Hermione a very meaningful look.

Harry and Hermione were sitting awkwardly across from one another. I took off from Harry’s knee, so as to get a better view of both of them.

“Erm, Hermione, I’m sorry about this morning. I was asleep, and “ well, I didn’t mean to invade your personal bubble… or anything,” said Harry quietly.

Hermione took a deep breath. “Don’t say sorry. I don’t want you to be sorry.”

“W “ What do you mean,” asked Harry, looking utterly bewildered.

“I means, Mr. Harry James Potter, that the only reason that you holding me might have made me upset me is that I know that you could never really feel toward me what I feel about you,” said Hermione, she had jumped up, and her voice was loud, but cracking.

“But what if I could?” asked Harry, jumping up and looking down into her eyes as though searching for something. “What do you feel for me, Hermione? I can tell you exactly how I feel about you.”

“What?” asked Hermione. She no longer sounded as if she was about to cry, she sounded “ defiant. “How do you feel about me?”

“I feel that without you, I could never laugh; I could not face Voldemort; I could never love anyone, if I am not allowed to love you,” said Harry, as though forcing his voice calm. “When I woke up this morning, with you in my arms “ for one tiny moment, I was happier than I have ever been. Winning a thousand Quidditch matches could never make me as happy as I was for that one, infinitesimal spec of time that I held you.”

Hermione looked shocked, disarmed, confused.

“And what do you feel for me?” asked Harry almost angrily. “What are the feelings that I could never “ according to you “ reciprocate?”

“If you ask Ginny, I love you with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns,” said Hermione with difficulty. “But I love you even more than that.”

They stared at each other, as though trying to see who could go the longest without blinking. Then Harry’s face changed. His expression had been almost angry, but it changing. Now searching, wondering, holding back from something, decided, gathering courage.

“Hermione…” said Harry softly, “Can I kiss you?”

Hermione beamed. “No.”

Harry looked confused, not to mention devastated.

Hermione just kept smiling. “No, not before I put an imperturbable charm on that door,” she said, pointing behind her.

A wave of relief washed over Harry’s face. He waited while Hermione pointed her wand at the door, muttering. A mix of swear words came from behind the door, along with Fred and Rachel’s interjections of “Fruitcake!” Hermione smiled.

“Where were we?” she inquired happily.

“Well, I “ erm “ we were about to… er…”

“Kiss?” suggested Hermione helpfully.

“Yeah “ that,” said Harry.

Awkwardly, they shuffled forward to face one another. And how is that not understandable? I mean, one minute they’re best friends, the next, they discover that they’re wildly in love with each other.

Stuff like that just doesn’t happen every day. Anyway…

Harry leaned down as Hermione stood on tiptoe. They closed their eyes and their lips met. It was not a long kiss, but when they broke apart, their breathing was heavier all the same. Hermione put her arms around Harry’s neck, resting her head on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, kissed her forehead, and rested his own head on hers.

And that was how they stayed for a very long while: in each other’s arms.



Author’s Note: Don’t worry, this isn’t the final chapter. I’ve still got a few loose ends to tie up, duct tape together, or attack with superglue. There’s still one more! Then… if I feel like it, I’ll write another story… I just need an idea… Only those who have read the 7th Harry Potter book are excused from reviewing! Just kidding! But it would be appreciated all the same!