Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From My Perch by Waddiwasi chik

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I have an unhealthy obsession with a fictional boy. Ah well, at least I’m not alone. You all know I’m not JKR, so there’s no use telling you otherwise. If you cared who I was, you’d read my author information, or whatever it’s called.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 3: The Three-Way Will

Later that afternoon, Harry sat at the kitchen table, stroking my feathers. “So, Hedwig, what do you think?” he asked.

“Well, you don’t understand a word I say, so I could tell you that Kreacher climbed into the airing cupboard, accidentally locked himself in and died, but since you don’t, I wont,” I hooted irritably.

It really makes no sense why he even bothers asking my advice. It’s not like he can even understand what I’m saying.

Harry looked at me oddly. “What did I do?” he asked, almost incredulously.

I never got a chance to answer, because at that moment, a man stepped into the kitchen. “Hullo, Professor Lupin,” said Harry.

“Good afternoon, Harry,” said Lupin. “I’m here to talk about the will that S --,” he took a deep breath. “That Sirius left behind.”

Harry didn’t respond. He just stared at the piece of parchment clutched in Lupin’s hand. Lupin un-sealed it with his wand, and smoothed it out on the table. Harry silently read through it, then sat back in his chair, running a hand through his untidy heap of jet black hair.

“He said to divide the remainder of the Black fortune between me, you, and the Weasleys,” Harry said. His voice broke as he held up a tiny silver key, “He’s left the key to the Gringott’s vault.”

“No “ he surely didn’t give any to me “ May I read it?” asked Lupin.

Harry handed over the parchment and the key. Lupin’s eyes darted over the same spot in the paper.

“But “ he shouldn’t have “ it takes away from what he gives to you “,” Lupin stammered.

“He meant for you to have it, and you’re going to take it,” said Harry. His voice had shifted from uneasiness to firm resolution. “I’m going to get Mr. and Mrs. Weasley,” he added, walking out the door.

Lupin sat back in his chair. I watched as a single tear rolled down his young, but worn cheek.

“Padfoot, my dear friend, thank you.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

By the time Harry had returned with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Lupin had recovered. They all sat around the table, and Harry handed the will to Mr. Weasley. Mrs. Weasley looked on with him. When they finished reading, Mr. Weasley let the parchment fall to the table.

“No, Harry, we couldn’t possibly take this from you. It should be yours “,” Mr. Weasley started, but Harry cut him off.

“I didn’t write that will. Sirius did. He wanted you to have it. It would be an insult to him not to take it,” he said determinedly.

Mrs. Weasley burst into tears. She got up and walked around the table to hug Harry.

“Thank you so much, Harry. This must be awful for you to have to deal with this,” she said between sniffles.

She released Harry, and blew her nose on a handkerchief.

“I’m going to go and think about “ stuff,” said Harry, rising up out of his chair. He held up his arm. “C’mon Hedwig.”

I flew obligingly from the windowsill, and landed softly on his arm. He walked out of the kitchen, leaving the adults to discuss the arrangements for the three-way will.

We made our way up the stairs, but instead of going into Harry’s room, we kept going. Up at the top of the stairs there was a small landing, and one door. Harry turned the door knob, and pushed the creaking door open.

In the middle of the room, there was a bed, on which lay the hippogriff called Buckbeak. I flew off Harry’s arm, and sat on the dresser, far from the carnivorous hippogriff. It is really a disgusting creature. Half bird, half horse. It’s not even fit to be an animal, let alone a pet.

Harry approached the bed, and bowed. The hippogriff inclined it’s head, and then looked at Harry, as though trying to sense any food he could be carrying. Harry sat on the edge of the bed, and patted the hippogriff’s beak.

“Since Hedwig won’t give me an answer, do you think I should let the Weasleys adopt me?” He asked the hippogriff.

I hooted indignantly. Why was he asking that horse’s butt what to do?

“Ooh, so now you decide to answer me?” he smirked.

“Fine, don’t let them adopt you. Be thrust out into the cold world! See if I care!” I hooted.

Harry laughed. That boy sure knew how to get to me. Curse him, he’s good.

“Fine, I’ll forgive you,” I hooted softly.

“If I’m their son, will that put them in more danger than they’re already in?” he asked me.

“Who knows?” I hooted.

“I do,” said Buckbeak superiorly.

“Maybe, but nobody cares what you think,” I retorted.

At that point, Pig flew in.

“He should say yes, because then Hedwig and I can hunt at night together, and hang out during the day time!” he shrieked excitedly.

“For the last time, Pig: I would rather be eaten by this half-pigeon than spend an hour in your company!”

“Are you talking about me?” asked Buckbeak.

“Who else?” I hooted.

“So you’re excited too!?” squealed Pig.

Buckbeak looked at me, then stuck out his tongue.

Harry just stared back and forth at us. “I don’t understand animals.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Author’s Note: Hope you liked this chapter! I decided it might be nice to end this chapter a little more happily then the last one. There’s a good chance I’ll get chapter 4 out before the 16th, but cross your fingers for me anyway! If you like this story the teensiest weensiest bit, then please review! Thankya much!