Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

As the World Falls Down by Deia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 2


Professor Dumbledore stayed silent for a few moments. He seemed to be trying to find the best words to explain the prophecy. He looked briefly at Professor McGonagall, and continued. "The prophecy speaks of a child that will lead the Wizarding World, and will bring a new understanding between purebloods, half-bloods and muggleborns."

Ron thought it was a good thing. After all, wasn't that the reason they were all fighting in the first place? To try to end this stupid idea that purebloods were better than muggleborns and half-bloods? For once, Ron wanted to believe in something Professor Trelawney said. He looked around and noticed that everyone but Professors McGonagall and Snape looked very relieved after hearing it. He could understand why Snape didn’t react. After all, the git only seemed content if he was tormenting Gryffindors. But why was McGonagall so worried? Then he remembered that Dumbledore also said You-Know-Who knew parts of this prophecy. If he knew who this person was, he would certainly try to kill him. Bugger.

"What I'm about to say is very important, and I'll need your total and complete secrecy. The part of the prophecy that Voldemort is aware of is a crucial part, something that I have been trying to keep a secret for many years, and had succeeded in doing to this day."

In all his years at Hogwarts, Ron had never seen the Headmaster look vulnerable. His voice almost failed at the end of his speech. It was unnerving to see someone as strong and powerful as Dumbledore struggling so hard with his emotions.

Professor McGonagall wasn't doing any better. She looked as if she was going to start crying any minute now. Ron was getting really scared. His eyes traveled to Hermione and Harry. Both of them seemed as worried as he was.

"After a week of considering all possibilities, Professor McGonagall, Professor Snape, and I came to the same conclusion about who the parents of this child will be."

"Will be?" asked Professor Lupin.

"Yes, Remus. This child hasn't been conceived yet, and it won't be in the near future."

Professor Dumbledore took a deep breath. When his eyes fell on Harry, Ron felt his heart freeze. It couldn't be...

"We are talking about your child, Harry. Yours and my daughter's child."

There was a silence. Everyone in the room seemed stunned. Dumbledore's daughter? He never even knew the Headmaster had a daughter. Even if that was true, wouldn't Dumbledore's daughter be a little, well, too old for Harry? This was the most ridiculous thing Ron had ever heard. And here he thought this prophecy was the real thing.

"I know this must be a shock to most of you. There were very few people that knew about it." Ron saw Dumbledore and McGonagall look at each other. She nodded at him before he continued. "Minerva got pregnant during the first war. We knew that if Voldemort ever discovered this, he would try to use it against me. I was afraid of what he would be capable of to get to me. That's why we decided to give our daughter up for adoption when she was born. We managed to keep the pregnancy a secret, and found a couple that would take care of her. It was the most difficult decision I ever had to make, but it was one that had to be made."

He paused again to gather his thoughts, and closed his eyes before going ahead. "The reason we are telling you this now is that Voldemort now knows I have a daughter, and he will do anything to discover who she is. And when he does, he will go after her. I need you to help us protect her. While she's still at Hogwarts, I have means to do it, but she will be leaving soon, and you are the people I trust the most."

The room was silent again for a few minutes, until Ron heard Hermione gasp. His eyes locked on her face; he had never seen her so pale. Mrs. Granger was silently crying, and he could swear he saw a few tears in Mr. Granger’s eyes as well. Ron's heart started thundering as he asked himself why the Grangers were there. He shook his head. It couldn't mean what he thought it meant. It just couldn't.

"No..." Hermione whispered, it seemed she was thinking the same as Ron.

"Hermione, calm down." Mrs. Granger was rubbing Hermione's back soothingly, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

"Mum?" Her eyes were desperate, searching her mother's, pleading for her to say it wasn't happening. Ron wanted nothing more than to take her in his arms and reassure her. It was in that moment that Ron finally understood how much this prophecy would affect all of them. If Hermione was Dumbledore's daughter, then she was destined for Harry.

Ron felt himself start to shake. He couldn't think, he almost couldn't breathe. He looked in horror at Harry, then at Hermione, and back at Harry. Harry was stricken. Professor Lupin put a hand on his shoulder, but Ron doubted he noticed. He seemed to be closed in his own world.

"Are you all right, son?" Although his father's voice was low, it startled Ron. He looked blankly at Mr. Weasley, not knowing what to say. How could he answer that question? No! He wasn't bloody fine, and he didn't know if he ever would be again. If he wasn't so shocked he would probably be breaking something, screaming, or running as far away as he could. He tried to find his voice to answer, but it wasn't coming, so he just shook his head no.

He could hear Hermione crying now, clinging to Mrs. Granger for dear life. Mr. Granger was talking softly with her. In the midst of all her agony, Hermione's eyes searched for his own. What he saw there he would never forget. The light in Hermione's eyes seemed to be gone, as all the sorrow she was feeling replaced the warmth that had always been there. There was no doubt in Ron's mind. Hermione Granger was Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall's daughter.


End of Chapter 2