Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

As the World Falls Down by Deia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3

The world had never been this confusing. She wanted to run away, or to simply go back in time. An hour would do nicely. For the first time in her life, Hermione didn't know what to think. It seemed that her life had been turned upside down. And it wasn't only the news about her parents that was shocking. This prophecy...if it was true...She closed her eyes tightly, as if it would make the thought go away.

Her mother was still stroking her hair soothingly, and she knew her father was trying to reassure her with words, but she wasn't listening. No matter what he said, this pain wouldn't go away. She opened her eyes and looked for Ron. When she locked eyes with him, she felt something break inside of her. It took a few minutes to realize that what was said didn't affect only her, but everyone in that room. The pain and loss in Ron's eyes were palpable. She didn't dare look at Harry. What would they do?

A movement caught her eye, and she turned to see Professor Dumbledore standing and placing a hand on Professor McGonagall's shoulder. She had her back to them, and Hermione could see she was shaking. She didn't know what to feel about them. She could understand their reasons. Of course she could, but she couldn't help but be hurt by the fact that they had given her up. Or that her adopted parents never told her she wasn't really their daughter. It made so much sense now, that they had accepted her being a witch so easily. She was so excited when she received her Hogwarts letter that she had never given it a second thought. Knowing her parents, however, they wouldn't have let her go to a boarding school of magic if they hadn't known about it previously. They had always being very protective of her. She always thought it was because she was their only daughter, but their reasons were so clear to her now. They knew all along who she was, and that if someone knew about her, she would be in danger.

She was so lost in her thoughts that when Harry stood up abruptly, she jumped in her mother's arms.

He started to pace, and his face was very pale. Every now and then he would steal a glance at Ron, who was sitting stock still in his chair. She knew that he wasn't there with them anymore. He was lost in his mind. Thinking of all the things he wanted that he couldn't have, and she knew in that moment that she was losing him. Losing something she had never had, but always known was hers. And now...

"Are you sure, Professor? About this prophecy--is it really about me and...?" He couldn't bring himself to finish his sentence, and looked again at Ron.

Harry's voice seemed to bring Ron back to the room, and he looked at the Headmaster with all the hope he could gather.

"I'm afraid so, Harry." Dumbledore's voice was hollow and sad.

"Excuse me, Professor, but I think everyone in this room deserves to listen to it. It affects all of us. Maybe there's a catch--there must be something..." Harry’s voice was almost desperate.

"I assure you, we spent the last week trying to find something, but as you said, you have a right to hear it, as it concerns you."

The Headmaster walked to his Pensieve to retrieve it. At the same moment, Ron stood up and ran away from the room. Mrs. Weasley was crying openly, and Mr. Weasley put a hand on her shoulders when she made a move to stand. "I'll talk to him. Stay here." He then turned to Dumbledore. "Excuse me, Albus..."

"There is no need to apologize, Arthur. Go and talk to him."

Mr. Weasley nodded and left the room.

Hermione had never seen someone work with a Pensieve before, and even with everything that was happening, she curiously observed Dumbledore's every move. She wouldn't miss a word and she would find the catch. She had to.

Dumbledore proceed to put his wand to his temple, then the basin. When his thoughts swirled into a silvery substance in the Pensieve, he prodded it with the tip of his wand. Everyone in the room could see Professor Trelawney, her eyes unfocused, and when she spoke, her voice was hoarse. "A child will be born from the daughter of the one the Dark Lord fears the most and the one who will carry the hope of the Wizarding World in the Final Battle. The love that will bring this child to life will be the symbol of a new union. And this child will lead and bring a time of peace and a new understanding amongst Wizards."

As the image of Professor Trelawney vanished from their sight, Hermione played the words again in her mind. There was no doubt who the Dark Lord feared the most, and being his daughter, unless...

"Professor..." Hermione's voice was quiet, and hesitant; she didn't know how to address him anymore, or how she would voice her next question. "Am I... er..."

"My only daughter?" he asked her, noticing her embarrassment. "Yes, you are."

"Oh." So the daughter the prophecy was referring to was her. There was no doubt anymore. And when she thought about the rest of the prophecy, she didn't seem to find anyone else that would fit the description of 'the one who will carry the hope of the Wizarding World in the Final Battle' but Harry. If prophecies were to be trusted, Trelawney herself had predicted that Harry and only Harry could defeat Voldemort, and all hopes were deposited on him. She couldn't see a way out of it.

Oh, Ron. She wanted him here, but she knew he wouldn't be. She felt him closing up to her already. Harry looked around everywhere as if he didn't know what to do with himself. Ron was one of the most important people in Harry's life, and she knew Harry would never hurt his friend like that. What would become of the three of them now?

She looked around, and noted that everyone else in the room was thinking hard, trying as she was to find the missing piece. But by their defeated faces, she knew they were coming to the same conclusion that she had. Her eyes found the person who had been her role model for the past seven years of school, a woman she admired from the beginning, and that she now knew was her mother. It broke her heart, no matter how hurt she was, to see Professor McGonagall, one of the strongest witches she knew, so sad, so afraid. Her eyes were glued to the floor. She looked ashamed of herself. And as Hermione looked at her, she could identify all the reasons for her emotions: Professor McGonagall was sad for Hermione's fate, afraid of her rejection, and ashamed for not staying at her side all these years.

She understood, she really did, and a part of her wanted to go there and hug her... mother. The word felt awkward, even in her mind. She wanted to tell her that she forgave her. But she couldn't bring herself to do it. Not now.

Professor Dumbledore seemed much more secure in his emotions, but when Hermione looked at him, really looked at him, she saw that his feelings mirrored Professor McGonagall's. And she also knew he was letting her see it on purpose. He wanted her to know that he too was sorry, and that he too wanted her forgiveness.

Hermione looked down, trying to process everything that had been said. She needed to find Ron. She closed her eyes at the thought of him. She wondered if Mr. Weasley had found him, and what sort of state he would be in when she saw him again.

Everything was so hard already.

"Albus," Remus said after a few moments, "you said that Voldemort already knows about Hermione. Not her identity, but that you have a daughter. Does that mean that someone here in the castle heard this prophecy and told him?"

"Not the prophecy entirely, but they heard Minerva and I talking about our daughter and a prophecy that was made about her. I still don't know how. The room was sealed, and a silencing charm was put on it. We never talked about Hermione without taking precautions."

"I tried to find out who told the Dark Lord, but none of the Death Eaters seemed to know, and to ask him directly would be too risky." It was the first time Professor Snape had spoken that night, and his voice startled everyone in the room. "When he called a meeting, the only thing he said was that he wanted to know who she was, and put a good part of his allies to work on it right away.” Hermione felt herself shake at his words. Voldemort would be coming for her. Soon.


End of Chapter 3


A.N. As always, many thanks to my betas Thalia Chaunacy and Kedavra77.