Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

As the World Falls Down by Deia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 6

Harry left Dumbledore’s office and went straight for his dormitory to get the Marauder’s Map. He knew Ron wouldn’t be in his quarters, and he didn’t want to waste any time looking for him. All the way to Gryffindor Tower, he tried to think of what to say to his best friend when he found him.

This situation was messy, to say the least. He had watched Ron and Hermione grow from bickering acquaintances, to bickering friends, to bickering best friends, and he knew “ now, at least “ that all the bickering meant a crush developing, slowly but surely, into love. They fought the feeling all they could, but had no power against it in the end. Harry had been truly entertained by their behavior ever since Ron had asked Hermione out.

Harry didn’t even want to think about what would happen now. He knew that Hermione wouldn’t want to change a thing, but Ron was another story. Shaking his head at his stubborn friend, Harry entered the Common Room and found Ginny sitting on the couch alone. As soon as she saw him walk in, she stood up.

“What happened? Seamus said he saw McGonagall come here to fetch you, Ron and Hermione.”

“I’m sorry, Ginny, but I can’t talk right now. I promise we’ll talk when I get back.”

“What? Why not? Harry, where are Hermione and Ron?” She asked while following him to the boy’s staircase.

“Hermione is still in Dumbledore’s office. I don’t know about Ron, but that’s what I’m trying to find out.”

“Wasn’t Ron with you two? Harry, what happened to my brother?” Her voice was bordering on panicky now.

Harry was about to walk into his dormitory when he turned to Ginny. “Look, nothing is wrong with Ron. At least, not physically. He’s upset. Very upset, and that’s why I have to find him right now.”

“Something bad happened, right?” Her voice was small, and Harry sighed.

“No. I mean, in a way, yes, but it’s not something we can talk about here or now.”

“Can I come with you?”

“Your dad is already with him, and I think it’d be better if I talk to him alone right now. He needs to know something, and I think I’m the one who has to say it to him. If he doesn’t listen to me, you’ll have your turn. Besides, I think Hermione will need someone to talk to when she comes back.” He smiled at her, and opened the door.

While he rummaged through his belongings, he knew that Ginny was waiting outside hoping to get any bit of information from him that she could.

Harry found the map and took it with him to the hallway. When he reached Ginny’s side, he nodded to her to follow him downstairs while tapping the map with his wand, whispering, “I solemnly swear that I’m up to no good.” Then he turned to her, and said, “Will you help me find Ron? It’ll go much faster.”

“Sure,” she said, watching as he spread the map on a table further in the room. It was late and the room was deserted, but Harry thought it’d be better if they stayed out of view.

“Harry, is it so serious that my dad had to come here?” she asked, her eyes darting around the map.

“Yes, it’s quite serious. Your mum is here, too.”

“And Remus,” she said, pointing to his name on the map.

“Yes, and from the look of it, they’re probably out looking for Ron as well.”

“Harry…” she said cautiously.

“Yes?”

“What are they doing here?” Ginny asked, her eyes fixed on Dumbledore’s office.

“That’s what you’ll find out soon. Don’t mention it to anyone. Here, I found Ron. Mr. Weasley is with him on the Quidditch pitch.” Harry jumped to his feet, and darted from the room, leaving an alarmed Ginny behind.

He made it to his destination in record time, and found Ron leaning his head on Mr. Weasley’s shoulder, with his eyes closed, a pained and desolated look on his face.

The sight made Harry’s heart ache. Ron was his brother, the most loyal friend someone could ask for. Harry would never betray his friends. He could never hurt Ron like that, even if he had liked Hermione. The mere thought made him wince. As much as Ron was his brother, Hermione was his sister, and thinking about her that way was just plain wrong.

Harry gathered his courage. He still didn’t know how to convince Ron, but he’d try anything.

“Ron?”

Ron kept his eyes closed, and Mr. Weasley looked up at Harry with hopeful eyes. That was not all his eyes held, though; there was so much concern and pain for his son.

“Not now, Harry. Please.” Ron’s voice was unusually hoarse.

“We have to talk, Ron,” Harry pleaded.

“I don’t want to talk.” He lifted his head and looked at Harry defiantly. The spark wasn’t there. Aside from sadness and hurt, there was nothing else in Ron’s eyes.

“Come on, Ron. Don’t do that. We never believed that old fraud. Why start now? You know she’s crazy. If we were to listen to her, I’d be dead a thousand times already.”

Ron turned his face away from Harry. “You’ll have to do better than that, Harry.” Ron stood up to walk away, but his father pulled him down.

“Ron, talk to Harry. He is your best friend, and he’s concerned about you. You’ll have to face him sooner or later. Let it be sooner.” Mr. Weasley was looking at his son directly in the eye. Ron couldn’t help but nod at his father.

“All right,” he said heavily.

“Thank you. I’ll leave you both alone.”

He turned to leave, but Harry called him.

“Mr. Weasley?”

“Yes, Harry?”

“Mrs. Weasley, Remus and Snape seemed to be looking for you and Ron. Could you please…”

“I’ll make sure you have some privacy. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you, Mr. Weasley.” Harry smiled at him, and turned to Ron, who was looking up at the stars.

“Ron?” Harry’s voice was tentative. “You know I would never do that to you, don’t you?”

Ron sighed, and forced himself to look at Harry. “I know, and that’s why I’ll be the one doing it.”

“What? No, you won’t.”

“Yeah, I will. Harry, let’s be reasonable. Every time the woman made a real prediction, it came true. Why would this time be any different? If I don’t cut it out right now, all three of us will get hurt later. I don’t want that. Maybe there is still a chance that we’ll be able to stay best friends if I step out.”

“Ron, listen to yourself. You have been in love with Hermione forever. And she is in love with you, too. You won’t convince me that you’ll walk away from her, and suddenly all those feelings are going to disappear.”

“No, they won’t, but I’ll find a way to live with them.”

Harry felt himself starting to get angry at how Ron was behaving about the whole situation.

“You’ll not give up on Hermione, Ron. Not because some stupid woman made a stupid prediction that’ll never come true. I won’t let you sit here feeling sorry for yourself while breaking your heart and Hermione’s. You’ll stop this nonsense right now. Stop thinking that you’re less than you really are. Stop thinking that you’re nothing more than Harry Potter’s best friend. I’d never have gotten so far if I hadn’t had help, and that always came from you and from Hermione first and foremost. Every time I needed you, you were there. You never backed away from the danger I always found myself in, and you had a choice, Ron. You could have spared yourself, and you never did. Because you’re brave, and loyal. You are the one who taught me what it meant to be a friend. You are my brother, Ron. Don’t you ever forget that. I won’t have anyone badmouth you, and that includes you.”

Ron sat in stunned silence during Harry’s outburst. He felt tears sting his eyes again, but he held them back. Harry stood there breathing heavier than usual from his tirade, looking at Ron, and trying to gauge his reaction. He couldn’t find a glimpse of what Ron was thinking.

Slowly, Ron walked to Harry, and embraced him. “Thank you, Harry.” His voice was choked and small.

Harry closed his eyes, thinking that he finally got through his stubborn friend’s head. Ron stepped back from Harry, and looked at him. “You have no idea how much it meant to me hear you say that…,” he stuttered a little, looking away for a moment, “… but it won’t change the future, Harry. Somehow, someway, you and Hermione will end up together. And I don’t want to be in the way. I can’t. I’m sorry.”

Ron looked at Harry’s distraught face one more time before walking away. Harry knew there was nothing he could do at the moment, but to let his friend cool down. He sat on the bench and sighed. He had thought that Ron would listen to at least part of what he had said. Hermione would need them now more than ever, and Ron's attitude wouldn't help any of them. Harry didn't know how he'd offer Hermione any kind of comfort without making Ron even more wary of the whole situation. There must be a way to talk sense into Ron. Maybe he’d have to ask Ginny to step in, after all. Hell, it probably would take the whole Weasley family to scratch the surface in this one.

End of chapter 6


A.N. Many beta thanks to Kjirstyn and Kedavra77 for all the work they do to help me improve. I'm very glad to have you both as my betas.