Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

As the World Falls Down by Deia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 7


Ginny was pacing the Common Room ever since Harry had left an hour ago. She was still waiting for one of them to come back from wherever they were. She was really worried about Ron. She didn't like Harry's expression or the way he talked about Ron. Waiting was never her forte, and this time was no exception. She could feel that something was terribly wrong. There were so many questions in her head, and as much as she tried, she couldn't think of what could be happening to leave everyone in such a state.

She looked at the watch. It was a little after one in the morning. She didn't like it at all. Sighing, she turned to continue pacing, when she heard the portrait opening and stopped. When she recognized her brother's figure, she rushed to his side.

“Ron!” At the look on his face, she gasped. “What's wrong?”

He closed his eyes, but didn't answer her.

Ginny took hold of his arm, “Ron, please.”

“I can't... Not now, Ginny. I need to go to my room before....” He gestured around hopelessly, “... I just need to go.”

Her concern was growing at each word. She had never seen Ron like that, and it scared her more than she was willing to admit.

“All right, but we'll talk later.”

Ron sighed, and gave his sister a pained smile. “I promise.”

In an impulse Ginny hugged her brother. To her surprise, he hugged her back fiercely. It didn't last long, though, and before she could say anything, he released her and rushed to the boys' dormitories.

Ginny didn't have another alternative, but to continue waiting in the hope of finding out what was happening from Harry or Hermione. She didn't have to wait too long, though. Not even ten minutes after Ron was gone, Hermione walked into the Common Room. She looked as bad as Ron. Her eyes searched the place until they fell on Ginny.

“Have you seen Ron?”

“He's upstairs.”

Hermione made a move to go up, but before she could Harry entered and sensing what she was going to do, stopped her. “Hermione, wait.”

“Harry, I need to...”

“No, leave him. I already tried to talk to him. He won't listen. It's better if we let him sleep, maybe in the morning he'll be more reasonable.”

Harry didn't sound too confident, and Hermione looked scared and exhausted.

“Maybe. I just don't think he'll change his mind.”

Her voice was strained, and Ginny was getting slightly pissed off at being left out. “Can someone please tell me what is going on right now?”

Hermione looked at Ginny and nodded. “All right, but not here. Let's go to my room. Good night, Harry.”

“Good night, Hermione. Good night, Ginny.”

“Good night.” Ginny said before quickly following Hermione to her room. When they got there, Hermione looked everywhere as if looking for something. She seemed content at not having found anything, and procced to lock the room, and muttered at least three different silencing charms. When she was satisfied she turned to Ginny, and motioned for her to sit beside Hermione on the bed.

“Ginny, what I'm about to tell you is extremely important, and has to be kept a secret. You can't talk about it even to us if you're not in a safe place.”

“Whatever it is, Hermione, just tell me.”

“I don't even know how to begin...” She took a deep breath and seemed to be rearranging her thoughts. “Right, the first thing you need to know is that I'm adopted.” Her voice cracked at the last words, and Ginny noticed she had tears in her eyes. “I didn't know that until tonight, when my biological parents told me the truth.”

Hermione paused again, closing her eyes. A few tears escaped, and Ginny felt her own eyes burning. She didn't know what to say or do to help her friend. She couldn't imagine what Hermione must be feeling.

“My parents had to give me up, because of Voldemort. They kept the pregnancy a secret, and as soon as I was born they gave me to my adopted parents, who knew all along how imperative it was to keep my real identity a secret. They raised me as a Muggle, but they knew I was a witch the whole time.” She was quiet for a few seconds, her eyes locked on her lap, before she continued in a small voice. “I understand their reasons, Ginny, I really do, but I can't help being hurt that they all lied to me for all these years.”

“Of course you are. You have every right to be hurt, Hermione. It's your life, and you had a right to know.”

Hermione gave her a wan smile, “Thank you. I know what I'm feeling is completely reasonable, but at the same time, I feel guilty because I know they are all suffering as much as I am. They explained it all to me. Oh Ginny you have no idea. I don't know what to think. I have always admired them so much, and to know...” Hermione was crying in earnest by that time, and Ginny put her arm around her shoulders, offering what little comfort she could, “to know they are my parents... I don't even know how to address them anymore.”

Ginny asked gently, “Who, Hermione? Who are your parents?”

Hermione shook her head, and took a deep breath, “Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore.”

Ginny stared at Hermione for half a minute, mouth hanging open. When she finally could think properly again, the first thing she could utter was, “What?”

“Unbelievable, isn't it?”

“Oh my God, Hermione. I don't... I mean... How... How are you feeling?”

“I don't know, and if you can believe it, this is not the worst part. Far from it, actually.”

“I'm almost afraid to ask, but what do you mean?”

“A prophecy. Trelawney made a prophecy last week involving me.” Hermione clenched her jaw, and swallowed hard. “It's about my child. A child that will be very important to the Wizarding world.”

“What's the problem then?”

“There are two problems. The first is that Voldemort already knows part of the prophecy. The part he knows is that Professor Dumbledore has a daughter, and now he's determined to find out who she is. You can imagine what he'll do when he finds out. That's the reason they told me the truth. Dumbledore asked your parents, and Remus to help protect me when I finish school. They'll also reinforce the wards around my parents' house. They are afraid that when Voldemort finds out, he'll go after them as well. It's possible that they will have to go into hiding.”

“Oh, Hermione. I'm so sorry. To have all of that dumped on your shoulders at once. I can't even begin to imagine how you're feeling. That's why Ron is so upset then? Because your life is in danger?”

“I'm sure that's part of it, but the main reason... The main reason is that the prophecy also mentions who the father of my child is.”

Ginny blanched. Oh no. She bit her lip, when she saw Hermione start to cry again, and asked tentatively, “It's not Ron, is it?”

“No.” It was barely a whisper, but Ginny heard it all the same. It broke her heart how much that word seemed to hurt her friend. She felt tears start running through her cheeks as well. Now she understood why her brother seemed so devastated earlier. Ginny was so sure that Ron and Hermione belonged together, and were going to stay together, get married and make her mum happy with lots of children. She could picture it so clearly. None of her brothers had ever looked so taken with a girl as Ron was with Hermione. It was unaceptable that they wouldn't have a future with each other.

“It can't be, Hermione. Maybe she's wrong. Maybe it's meant for someone else. I don't think you and Ron should let it affect your relationship.”

“You know what I think of prophecies, Ginny. Especially the ones of Trelawney. Ron, in the other hand... I don't care what it says, there is no way Harry and I will have a child together.”

“Of course...” It took a few seconds for Ginny to realize what Hermione had said, but when she did she was struck dumb. “Harry is the father?”

Hermione nodded, and Ginny closed her eyes.

End Chapter 7