Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

How Do I Get There From Here? by scarlet phoenix feathers

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
How Do I Get There From Here?



“Bloody Hell, if this doesn’t just bite bats butts!”

Hermione gasped. She found Ron’s choice of expressions repulsive, but she found him amusing as well. “Honestly Ron, do you have to be so graphic?”

“Come on Hermione, you can’t tell me this doesn’t just twist your knickers.” He had his trunk in one hand and insisted on taking hers as well. He lugged them all the way down the stairs before realizing he could have just levitated them to the doors of the great hall.

“Ron, it’s something that Harry has to do, besides he’ll be back with us at the Burrow soon enough.” She had been trying to console her friend. “He’ll sort things out and be back before you know it.”

The three of them had just finished their seventh year at Hogwart’s and at the same time fought a war. Harry had defeated Voldemort and left with Remus to “find” himself. He had actually gone to learn more about his family and his legacy. Remus had preserved much of what was left of his parents things and thought that now that there was no longer a threat they could return to search through their things. Everyone agreed that this was his time to find out who his parents really were. Ron reluctantly agreed to go to the Burrow with the rest of the family and begin to enjoy his summer before they all had to join the ranks of working wizards and witches. Harry assured them all that he would be back in two weeks with loads of information to share.

Hermione noticed that Ron wore a tight t-shirt and jeans. His summer robes were flung over his trunk. His t-shirt was clinging to his chest and the cuffs of the sleeves were stretched around the muscles of his upper arms. He looked at her and pushed the sweat soaked hair from his eyes and wiped his brow.

“Why did you let me haul these things down those stairs? Look at me, I might as well jump in the lake and swim to Hogsmeade.” Ron furrowed his brow when Hermione never replied. She looked as though she was in a trance. “Hermione? Are you there?” He was now snapping his fingers and waving his hand in front of her face.

“What? Oh sorry.” Hermione refocused her eyes on his. She quickly tried to shake off the trance she was in temporarily. “What did you say?”

“Never mind!” He took his wand and lifted the trunks before him and they started out the front doors of Hogwarts. This was their last time to be here as students. It was all over. But Hermione couldn’t help but think that things would be better. She had the next two weeks with Ron to look forward to. How could they not be better? She just wondered how come it took her so long to notice Ron. Just in the last few minutes she realized that Ron was all she wanted. She wanted him to envelope her in those arms of his. Should she be thinking this way about one of her best friends? Why not? They had shared so much together. They knew things about each other that no one else would ever know.




-----------------------------------------------------------

Ron and Hermione walked into Hogsmeade and decided to slide into the Hogshead for a quick drink before they caught their train. They were scheduled to take their apparation test next week so they were forced to ride back. Ron had actually considered borrowing a fireplace and flooing to the Burrow, but he had liked the idea of riding in the train compartment alone with Hermione. They had stayed behind an extra day to help Professor Dumbledore secure the castle for the summer holidays. They would have the entire train to themselves.

Since the war Ron had begun to see things a whole lot differently. He and Hermione didn’t fight nearly as much. They had actually begun to see things from the same point of view. They were agreeing. This amazed many people, but it amazed Ron even more.

Hermione slid into the corner table and watched as Ron picked up two mugs of butterbeer for them. He smiled at her as he crossed the dim, dusty room. He pulled his chair closer to hers after presenting her with her beverage.

“Bit loud today!” He was trying to justify his moving his chair so close.

She shook her head slightly in agreement as she took a sip of the smooth liquid.

Ron sat back in his chair placing his right ankle on his left knee. He took a long drink and placed his right arm on the back of Hermione’s chair and leaned in to talk to her. “When Fred and George found out you were coming to the Burrow they asked when Mum and Dad were going to adopt you.”

He watched as she threw her head back to laugh. He didn’t bother to include his thought. The only way she was becoming a family member was for him making her one. He was just slow about it. He was really afraid of rejection. He watched, mesmerized, as she flung her long locks from one side to another as she took another drink.

Hermione sat down her empty glass “We should be getting to the station”

Ron cocked an eyebrow and grinned. He stood and stepped back to allow her to walk ahead of him. This not only proved him to be a gentleman, but also gave him a great view as they walked to the station.

“Would you catch up?” Hermione soon noticed him lagging behind.

He then picked up his pace to walk side by side with her. “Yes, dear” he mocked.


---------------------------------


“Good thing we sent Pig and Crookshanks ahead with Ginny. I really don’t feel like putting up them.“ Hermione fell to the compartment and closed her eyes. “I sure could go for a nap. How about you?”

That was the last thing on his mind. He wanted to take her in his arms and let her know that he loved her. He wanted to smell the scent of her shampoo as he nuzzled his face into her neck. He had to stop thinking like that. “Yeah, I’m beat. Dumbledore must never sleep. It was four a.m.before I was able to crawl into bed.”

“You get relaxed and I’ll check on something to eat.” Hermione’s motherly instinct kicked into high gear. She liked fussing over him.

“Good, I’ll get the trunks put away and look for some pillows.” He wanted to spoil her. Anything she wanted or needed he would make sure she got it. He watched as she shut the compartment door behind her.

Hermione found the dining compartment and a kind lady to help her get some things together. This would tide them over until they arrived at the Burrow. She carried the tray of sausages and fruits down the narrow aisle while concentrating on the bottles that were stuffed under each arm.

Hermione stopped in front of their door and wedged the tray between the wall and one arm so she could free the other to slide the door open. As she entered the room she looked at Ron who was sleeping. But what really amazed her was that he had bewitched the two benches to make a rather comfortable looking bed. He had found pillows and a blanket and was snoring like a baby.

She tried desperately to calm her nerves. They were just going to nap. She removed her robes and lay herself beside him but stayed as close to the edge of the bed without falling off. She soon couldn’t resist, she nuzzled herself a bit closer and found herself extremely close to is back. She could smell his cologne. That was a wonderful scent. She soon found herself drifting off as well.

Hermione’s eyes shot open. Ron had rolled over and thrown his arm over her. She felt a lump rising in her throat. Her body suddenly felt HOT. But she didn’t dare move. She closed her eyes as though she had never awoke and snuggled closer. She laid her heed on his shoulder and took a deep breath. This moment would be burned in her memory forever. As long as she lived she would never forget. Even if he hadn’t intentionally put his arm around her she didn’t care.


---------------------------------


Ron opened his eyes feeling warm and comfortable. He soon realized why. Hermione was pressed to him and wrapped in his arms. He hoped she didn’t want to move anytime soon. He didn’t dare wake her. He slowly lifted his free arm and pushed back the hair from her face. How beautiful she was. Perfection right here on earth in his arms. He wanted nothing more than to kiss her pouty lips at this very moment.

Ron’s arm that lay underneath her head was now asleep. He flexed his fingers slowly as to not disturb the angel next to him. She had sacrificed so much for everyone. She withstood torture at the hands of Lucius Malfoy and other Death Eaters. She remained silent as they tortured and killed her own parents. Mr. And Mrs. Granger knew the possibilities of their deaths. They faced the Death Eaters and fought along side them even though they were defenseless. He, along with the rest of the Weasley’s vowed to take care of her. He saw the love that poured from her. He knew he could never look at another girl the way he looked at her. He would gladly die to protect her. She didn’t know it but somehow he was going to make her his.


---------------------------------


Ron couldn’t sleep, he could only think of the image of ultimate life lying beside him.

“Oh, Ron”

“What?” but he noticed she was still sleeping. He watched as she smiled in her sleep and spoke more words that were inaudible.

Was she thinking of him? He should really wake her. He felt like he was intruding.

“Yes, Ron, I will”

He really should wake her now. He shifted a bit and pushed her hair behind her ear and softly ran his fingers across her chin. It was almost like a natural instinct. As he pushed back the stray curl on her forehead he softly kissed the now vacant spot without thinking.

Hermione opened her eyes in shock. Ron was looking at her with an odd expression.
“I’m sorry,” she stuttered. Had he just kissed her or was she dreaming? “When I lay down you were facing the other direction.”

“I know,” he whispered. He didn’t want her to be sorry. He wasn’t.

She placed her hand on his chest. She could feel his heart racing. She shifted herself so as to face him directly. She felt his hand on her shoulder.

Ron thought it was now or never. He placed his free arm around her and pulled her closer.

“Hermione, you don’t have to move… ever. I’m here for you lean on.” His chest was tight.

“Ron, don’t ever leave me. You’re all I have now.” There, she thought, I’ve said it.

Ron looked into her mahogany eyes and slowly lowered his mouth to her and kissed her softly.

“Hermione, I could never. I love you.” He didn’t give her a chance to reply. He pulled her as close to him as he could and kissed her again, this time deeper. His head was spinning and all thoughts outside of those that involved her were gone.

Hermione pulled herself from him. “Ron, you amaze me. Let me continue to be amazed, forever.”

“My dear, you will be. Until the day I die. It’s been a long time coming”

The newly found couple lay there exploring each other until they pulled into Platform 9 ¾.

“How we got here from there, I’ll never know.” Hermione said solemnly.

“We did it together and this is only the beginning.” Ron was relieved that this had worked out so well.

They stood arm in arm and exited the train behind the floating luggage and were greeted by an astounded family. Obviously proud to see them together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A/N This is just a one shot fic that I wrote real quick one night. I know this scenerio has been run into the ground, but hey I can't help it. You know they think to themselves all the time about each other. They just don't want to be the one to be vulnerable. Go figure. LOL