Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Letters by hp_princess

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: In which the girls recieve a new assignment.
“Lily! Have you seen my brush? Or my shoes?” Julia hollered, as she scrambled around the dormitory looking for her stuff. They were getting ready for breakfast, but Julia was having a little trouble finding her stuff, as usual.



“Are you kidding me? We have been here one night and you’ve already misplaced your stuff?” Lily laughed.



Nadia, still heated from last night’s argument, shook her head and headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Lily shook her own head as she watched Nadia leave. Sure, Nadia had made her cry, but it was a new day and time to start fresh.



Sighing she looked under her bed, helping Julia look for her stuff.



“Why don’t you guys just use Accio to retrieve it?” asked Emily while getting dressed.



“Oh yeah, why didn’t I think of that?” Julia asked, joking around.



“Because you aren’t like us, we are just way to ahead of you,” said Lily trying not to laugh. This was one of their on-going jokes. Emily and Lily were always referring to how they were smarter and one step ahead of Julia.



“Shut up guys, that is so old!” Julia laughed and threw a pillow at Emily.



“And you still find it hilarious!” Emily exclaimed as she threw the pillow back at Julia.



“Ok guys, come on, or we will be late,” Lily said looking amused.



“That’s our Lily, always thinking ahead.” Julia laughed again then said, “But yeah let’s go.” The three friends linked arms and walked out of their dorm ready to take on the world.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _





They entered the Great Hall and the normal, nonstop, happy chatter met their ears. Making their way to the Gryffindor table, they passed a few disgruntled first years.



“Did we look like that on our first day?” Julia asked, watching the first years walk in tight little groups.



“I don’t remember, but probably,”Emily said as they reached their normal spot at the Gryffindor table.



After they were seated and had filled their stomachs with the plentiful amounts of food, Professor McGonagall came over and handed them their class schedules.



After Emily had glanced at the schedule she smiled, “Well we have a pretty good day. All we have is Divination first period, and then the rest is all good.”



“Why don’t you guys like Divination? I love it!” Julia stated. And it was true; she had loved Divination ever since she had foretold her cat was going to have kittens.



“I am glad you are happy, but I for one do not like Divination. I also have Arithmacy this afternoon,” Lily said as she took a sip of her pumpkin juice.



“Don’t be such a spoil sport, Lily. It will be fun this year, I swear.” Julia’s face lit up with a thought, “How about this? I’ll make you a bet. If Divination sucks this year, I owe you 10 galleons. But if it doesn’t, you owe me 10 galleons. Ok?”



“Deal!” Lily and Julia shook hands.



“I know that Divination doesn’t start for another hour, but lets go and get the good squishy arm chairs,” Lily said.



With that in mind the three made there way up to the North Tower, for the ever so annoying Divination class.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _







As the girls left the Great Hall, one pair of hazel eyes followed them. James Potter ran a hand through his very untidy black hair as his gaze stared after the threesome.



“So James, we still have to set up our ever so famous first prank of the year,” Sirius Black chuckled. “What shall it be? Something for good old Snivellus again?”



Sirius turned and faced his friend. He was dressed in his signature color and his black hair was framing his face nicely. When he noticed James wasn’t paying the least bit of attention to him, and instead watching Lily Evans, he waved a hand in front of his face.



“What?” James asked Sirius as he looked at him.



“Tell me you weren’t just watching Lily?” Sirius looked serious, for once.



James blushed, “No, I was just thinking.”



“About what?” Inquired Remus Lupin his blue-grey eyes twinkling.



“Nothing, forget about it.”



“I know what James is thinking about!” Said Peter Pettigrew the final addition to the Marauders. “ He was thinking about Lily!”



“No,” Sirius said sarcastically, “You think?” Turning back to James he said “Come on Prongs, get over it man. She won’t even think about it now. Come lets plan our prank.”



“Ok, sure.” James took one last glance at the Entrance Hall, then turned and helped create the Marauders newest prank.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





An hour later, after all the sixth year Gryffindors had made it to the Divination classroom, class started. It was held in the North Tower. The room was circular and but instead of regular chairs at the desks, there were little puffy chairs. Their professor, Professor Orion, was very cool. He allowed them to talk and work together, often allowing them to do their homework in class.



“Welcome back to another year of Divination. This year I will be working you especially hard, helping you prepare for N.E.W.T.s.” He welcomed the class with open arms and motioned for them to get comfortable.



“Usually I would start the year off by making my students read tea leaves, just to make sure they still now what to do. I instead had a different thought that came to me late last night. Because this year you are preparing for the N.E.W.T. classes that will be coming up, I thought that this year we would focus on not only the normal Divination studies but also clearing our minds and focusing on our thoughts.” He paused to pick up a red journal.



“We will be doing this by writing letters to our anonymous inner buddy. You share you innermost thoughts, feelings, and fears. You will tell them about yourself, but not enough to reveal whom you are. This will allow you to open your mind and let you focus. Yes Miss Evans?”



Professor Orion turned his attention to Lily who had her hand raised.



“Professor I was wondering how we will write to this anonymous person. Since we don’t know who they are, or what their name is we can’t exactly write letters to them.”



“Good question Miss Evans. Anybody have any ideas?”



“Will we be writing to someone with a fake name?” asked Jennifer Pelkan one of the other sixth year girls.



“You may use a nickname or fake name if you choose, but not quite. See this red journal here?” He held up the journal higher. “I had Professor Flitwick charm theses so that when you write a letter in these, it will show up in your buddies journal. And vise versa. I already made it so two journals will be corresponding. When your buddy has written you a letter, the journal will glow ever so slightly. The letters will stay in your journals and your buddies. Also, your buddies won’t just be sixth year Gryffindors. Every sixth year student who takes this class will have a buddy. So will Miss Evans, Miss Demartini, Miss McKinney, Miss Pelkan, come and choose a journal please.”



He pointed to the large stack on her desk. Lily took a green one, Julia a purple, and Emily a light pink.



As she sat down Lily thought this might be a good year in Divination after all, even if I am writing to a complete stranger. I mean come on at least we aren’t reading tealeaves. But I can’t let Julia notice I might like this assignment or I’ll lose 10 galleons.



Once everyone had chosen a journal, Professor Orion assigned them their homework.



“Please write your first letter tonight. I will check tomorrow in class if you have done it. You may use the rest of the class time, which is 15 minutes, to start now if you wish.”



Lily carefully opened up the journal to the first page and took out a quill. She sat in thought for almost all of the 15 minutes until Sirius spoke out to the class.



“Professor Orion, this is a pretty cool assignment, when do we get to meet our ‘inner buddies’?” Sirius asked.



“You aren’t supposed to meet them, Mr. Black, only write to them. If they knew who you really are would you want to share your inner most thoughts?”



”Probably not. But that is too bad, I wrote a pretty cool letter.” He leaned back in his chair.



Lily nearly choked. Sirius Black, the guy most likely to never turn in his homework, had already finished the assignment and she hadn’t even started hers.



Determined to get started Lily turned back to her journal and wrote:



Dear Inner Buddy,

I am not too excited about writing to someone I don’t know and sharing my inner most thoughts, and feelings, but this is being graded. It might be fun, we will just have to wait and see. The other thing is everyone expects me to write this letter with a huge smile because that’s what I always do. People look up to me as the teachers pet. A big part of me would just like to skip classes, sneak into Hogsmeade, eat tons of ice cream and candy, and party all night. But that isn’t in anyway possible because I would never do anything to break the rules. Plus if I did anything out of the ordinary people would think I’d have gone completely crazy. Everyone expects me to be the best student and overachiever I am. But sometimes I really couldn’t care less about my grades. So, how strange is that? Ok, I shared my innermost thoughts with a complete stranger. Your turn.



Wisher




Satisfied with her not so perfect letter, Lily closed her journal and went to join Julia and Emily on their way to the next class.