Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Letters by hp_princess

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is the chapter where Lily remembers the painful past.
Chapter 4





Lily didn’t have the time to write her letter the next day or the day after that. She was still preoccupied with settling in. Classes were as hard as ever and she found herself struggling to stay on top.



One day in Charms was especially challenging, which was saying something since it was one of Lily’s best subjects.



Lily was sitting at one of the back desks with Emily and Julia trying to master a new spell. The incantation was Avis, and it was supposed to conjure a flock of twittering birds but Lily was having difficulty combining the wrist movement with the actual incantation. Remus, on the other hand, had completed the task quite a while ago, making Lily furious. She and Remus used to be friends, the top of their Charms class.



Ever since the incident though, they had never been quite as close. That, and the fact that the charm was about birds, made Lily remember it clearly. It had happened in their fifth year, just before the Christmas break.



Why do I have to remember it like it was yesterday? Lily thought. Her mind drifted back to how it happened, even though she hated to think about it.



Emily, Julia, and I had gone down to lunch; it had been a perfectly normal day. Outside, the sun was shining, and the lake was glistening calm. A ton of people had reported that the temperature outside was rising, and I for one couldn’t wait to get out of the classrooms. Emily had been sent the usual huge package from her mother containing sweets and letters in the morning's post. I had gotten Gryffindor ten more points for performing the Silencing Charm correctly in Charms. My squirrel didn’t even have a chance to chatter before I said the incantation. Professor McGonagall yelled at Julia only once, and we had all been late for Herbology.



So for the most part, the day was off to a good start. I had sat down with Julia on my right, while Emily was on my left. I was feeling content, and my shepherd’s pie was looking very tasty. As I took a gulp of my pumpkin juice I glanced up at the Great Hall entrance.



The four marauders walked casually into the hall, with James Potter in the lead. I would never admit it to anyone, not even Julia or Emily, but he looked so handsome. Especially with his messy black hair sticking up in odd places, and his beautiful brown eyes.



Behind him followed Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Sirius walked with an arrogant bounce in his step. He was always so funny, no wonder all the girls liked him, and of course he was so good looking! Then Remus, yes Remus. I had always liked him and I knew I always would. His blonde hair fell into his piercing blue-gray eyes. He was so smart, just like me. Behind them followed Peter Pettigrew, trying hard to keep up. Peter was a little awkward to me. He was a little dense and I never figured out why the rest of the group put up with him, but they did and we just left it at that.



The boys sauntered over and sat a few seats down from us. James looked at me and smiled. My insides squirmed. Why did he have that effect on me? It wasn’t like I was in love with him; no, I was far from it. We were just friends, nothing more. I smiled back and watched as he started to fill his plate with food. I had always liked to watch him; I just had to make sure he didn’t catch me.



Returning to my lunch, I heard Julia say, “You were just smiling at James Potter. The James Potter who you swore you would never befriend. Are you feeling ok?” She felt my forehead as if I might have had a fever.



“Yes I am feeling perfectly fine, thank you very much. And we are just friends. Remember?” I looked at her, seeing her search my eyes for something more. She knew we were just friends, and that was all. But she always hoped, just hoped there would be something more. James and I had just started to become civil towards each other. Or should I say I became more civil towards him. We were starting to get along, like friends do.



“Yeah, yeah, that’s what they all say. Next thing you know you’ll be shagging him in a broom closet.” Julia said, giggling.



“Julia!” Emily shrieked. Her brown eyes twinkled as if they shared a secret.



“Oh come on, I was just kidding!”



“It’s ok. But don’t get your hopes up, it won’t happen.” I looked back at James to see him throw an apple at Peter’s head.



Julia chuckled. “Sure it won’t,” she said. Then she stood up, and, taking a last sip of her pumpkin juice, said, “I am going to go back up to the common room to get my potions kit. You coming?”



“Yeah, one sec.” I stuffed the last of my shepherd’s pie in my mouth and followed her towards the entrance hall, Emily in tow.



As we neared the Great Hall’s large oak doors, Snape got up from the Slytherin table and made his way out. I can’t believe I didn’t see it coming before it did, but the two of us collided, and we both dropped our bags and books.



“Watch where you are going, you filthy Mudblood!” he shouted, glaring at me.



“Sorry, I just-”



But I never got to finish my sentence because someone far away yelled, “Flavesco Avis!”



I was hit with the incantation and before I knew it my body was undergoing a serious change in shape. My nose lengthened out and became a beak. My arms grew feathers, as they turned into wings. I tried to speak but all the came out was a giant “Squawk!” My heartbeat quickened and I looked down at my feet. They were bird’s feet, not my usual size nine feet. I panicked and turned around.



Laughter hit me like a blast of icy wind. And it wasn’t kind laughing either. It was evil and mean. I felt my cheeks, or should I say beak, redden. I started screaming at the top of my lungs. But it came out as large “Squawks”, and it made me blush even more.



I turned to Emily and Julia for support, but they had their mouths open in pity. I panicked. As fast as I could I found the mirror in my bag and almost shattered it when I saw my reflection. I squawked again.



This was because I was a humongous, yellow canary.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _