Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Letters by hp_princess

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Oh my God! Can you believe him?” Lily exclaimed, throwing her book bag onto a chair in the common room. She was a sight. Her beautiful fiery hair that usually sat around her shoulders was whisked about her face, and her eyes were on fire. She threw herself after her book bag and landed on the chair with a thud.

Julia and Emily clambered through the portrait hole after her. Lily wasn’t in a good mood. What had James done now? They had been looking forward to a calm, relaxing afternoon. They had been having a good day so far, but it looked as if James had rained on the parade.

“Lily, what did he do?” Emily asked, moving over to the circle of chairs in the corner where Lily was seated.

“Everything! He was his usual self! That’s what’s wrong! He was his usual ignorant, arrogant, stuck up self!”

“What did he say?” Julia sighed. This had become a regular routine. Over the past few years Julia and Emily had gotten used to Lily’s ranting about James. They hoped, that someday, she would get over it.

“Well,” Lily sighed, taking in a deep breath to clear her thoughts, “It wasn’t what he said, but how he acted. He knows I despise his very being, and yet, continues to try and win me over. I don’t know why anyone would be with him.

“All day today, it seems as if he has been trying to impress me. In Charms today, he was watching me, I could feel it. Not only was he just staring at me, which I hate, he wasn’t even paying attention to what Flitwick was saying! I bet you he will get a bad grade on our exams.”

“Lily,” Julia warned.

“Oh, right. I am getting off topic. Anyways. Then at lunch, you know the little first year Ian Talleyrand?” Lily continued when both Julia and Emily nodded yes.

“Well I caught James teaching that kid how to use Rictusempra. He used it on Black and Talleyrand started laughing wickedly. I walked up to him and asked him what he was doings teaching a first year the tickling charm. Potter said he was using his good qualities and helping students, instead of pulling pranks on people himself! Yeah, right! I blew up at him and asked him why the hell he was teaching a first year how to use that charm. And he said “Well, somebody told me girls like you dig it when guys like me are around little kids!’” Lily paused, talking in a deep breath.

Emily and Julia shared a look and decided Lily needed some fresh air.

“Come on, Lils,” Emily said, pulling her up. “Let’s go take a walk.”

“But we have so much homework, and that essay due for McGonagall. I can’t.”

“Lily. If I can take off an hour to listen to you rant about Potter, which I do every now and then, you can take of thirty minutes to take a walk with your two best friends in the whole wide world.” Julia grinned, “Sound like a plan?”

“Oh, all right.”

- - - - - -- -- - - - - - -

Out in the cold, the three friends walked around the lake. It was good for them to get out together. Ever since school started they had all been so busy. Sure, they were always together, but they hadn’t had much girl time.

They kept walking, bundling their cloaks closer. It was only mid September, but it was getting chilly. The leaves were turning colors, brilliant reds and oranges. Lily loved the fall, it was so peaceful and colorful, and there was an overall crispness in the air. Julia, on the other hand, always made a big show of explaining why autumn was such a dull month. Lily couldn’t get why, it was just so peaceful.

The girls reached a familiar spot, one they used to visit in their younger years. They would come out to the lake to talk about boys and play around. Their secret haven was located in and around a huge old willow, whose branches stretched far over the water. The gnarled trunk was twisted from time and the girls thought it told its own story. They would spend hours looking at carvings and marks left by other students, love notes and words of wisdom.

Each had their favorite spot where they liked to sit. Julia had her favorite perch in a willow branch that hung out over the lake. It was way up in the tree, and she had to climb a ways to get to it. She always made a show of falling or getting stuck, while really the three knew she was an excellent climber. Julia clambered up the trunk and carefully edged her way across the limb, not sure if it would hold her.

Lily and Emily, however, both had special nooks in the roots of the tree, which sprawled out along the bank. Irene’s was up near the base of trunk, where she could sit cross-legged snug between the roots. Lily, on the other hand, was further down towards the water. She had a special root that hung on the bank, and she always used to dip her feet in during their special talks.

The girls nestled into their spots, sitting in silence for a few minutes, taking in the beautiful scenery. They were all so busy with their grownup lives that they hadn’t been out here for a while. The lapping of the waves calmed all troubles, rolling over the sand and Lily’s toes. The rhythms of the waves seemed to take them away from the chaotic world they were a part of. They sat peacefully until Lily broke the silence.

“I am sorry I am always such a prat when it comes to Potter. I just don’t get it; I can’t get over how annoying he is. He is always there, talking to me, trying to impress me. He- ”

“Lily,” Emily said cutting her off, “We know everything James does to impress you. We have been right with you all these past years, we know.”

“We sure do, mate, you never stop talking about him. If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were madly in love with him. Infatuated, maybe.” Julia smiled down at Lily. Sure, Lily talked nonstop about how annoying James Potter was, but deep down Julia knew Lily liked it, and she wasn’t going to stop until she realized it for herself.

“I do not!” Lily exclaimed.

“Do too!” Emily and Julia stated in unison, both smiling.

“Oh. not again! What is with you too ganging up on me about this? You always do, and you better not contradict me, Julia Rene Demartini, I am not in love with James.”

She was silent, and turned to look over the water.

“You do too,” Julia whispered quietly, “And you just proved it yourself. You said his first name.”

“Which, might I add,” Emily said, “You never do.”

“Oh, so now saying someone’s first name means I’m in love with them?” Emily looked at Julia with the oh-boy-what-is-she-on-now look. Julia just winked, her hazel eyes twinkling.

“Yes, I am hinting you are in love with Peter Pettigrew.” Julia sighed. “I know it’s hard for you to face the truth, but we can see it in your eyes when you look at him.”

Lily turned around to stare at Julia. Her face made it seem like she was irritated. Then, however, she burst out laughing.

“Me? Like Peter?” She was laughing so hard now. “That’s a good one, Julia. Hahaha, Peter.” While Lily was having her laughing attack, Julia quietly climbed down the willow. She held her finger to her lips as if to shush Irene from saying anything, then she pushed Lily in the lake. Lily shrieked and splashed like mad, sending droplets of lake water all over. Soon Irene and Julia were also in the water, splashing like mad. Shrieks of laughter filled the air, and the girls clambered out, sopping wet.

“I am going to get you for that, Julia. That was cruel.” Lily was grinning like mad.

“We could tell Sirius how much she wants to shag him in the broom closet,” Emily suggested.

“You could,” Julia jumped up grinning, “But then you would have to stop me from telling Peter that both of you want to go with him to Hogsmeade.”

Emily and Lily looked at Julia in horror, who clambered back up to her branch, knowing they wouldn’t follow.

“You wouldn’t!” Emily accused.

“She would,” Lily said.

“Ok, ok, I know I am the big bad wolf here, but let’s change the topic, we are giving dear Peter too much recognition.”

Emily smiled. “Ok, I know we already touched on this but we haven’t had this conversation for a while. Who does everyone have a crush on at the moment?”

For a moment all that could be heard was the wind in the trees, and the girls didn’t notice the jet black dog creeping through the trees on his belly, accompanied by an elegant stag. The two creatures settled and looked at the girls through the underbrush. The dog looked longingly at the girl in the tree, while the stag had eyes only for the redhead.

Once again Lily broke the silence. “No one. I’m done with the male race, and you two know that. They just cause too much drama.” At this Julia coughed, making Emily smile. “Sure they are cute and fun to flirt with, but I don’t want commitment. I need to get ready for our exams.”

“Here, here. I agree.” Emily exclaimed, clapping.

“Well, I don’t agree, but nice speech anyway.” At this Lily made a funny face at Julia, who just kept on talking. “I know you guys saw this coming, and since you already knew I figured you’d be ok with it. But you don’t have to worry, I am not going to act upon this.”

“Black,” was all Lily said, hugging her knees to her chest. Julia nodded. The dog, hidden by the arousing shadows, wagged its tail furiously.