Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Magical Menagerie by Quigley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
And so, they were all together in Hagrid’s hut. Well, not all of them if you included Nagini, of course, but there were enough of them to make a large crowd. If you’ve forgotten all of the characters so far (after all, the last time I mentioned them all was the chapter before the last one, so I’ll forgive you if you’ve forgotten…) I’ll tell you…

Fang the dog, who was the keeper of the keys at Hogwarts whilst Hagrid was gone, was lying down on his bed, on the floor. Hedwig, Pigwidgeon, and Kess the owl were all perching on the rafters, along with Fawkes the phoenix. Crookshanks and Mrs. Norris were sitting on opposite sides of the table, trying to stay away from each other and Fang, below them. And, last but not least, Trevor and Wormtail (who was going by the name of Nancy) were both sitting on one of the chairs.

“So,” Trevor said at last, “this is nice, isn’t it?”

Everyone turned to stare at him.

“All of us in here together,” the toad continued, “chatting away like were all the best of friends. Which were not. Well, we’re not yet. We don’t know each other’s names yet.”

“Most of us know each other,” Hedwig answered. “But I don’t know who that is,” she said, pointing at Wormtail with one of her talons.

“M-my name’s N-Nancy,” Wormtail stuttered.

“Well, N-Nancy, my name’s Hedwig. I’d shake feet with you, but I don’t want to come down. I’m quite comfortable up here. And these,” she continued, “are Fawkes, Kess, Crookshanks, Trevor, Fang, and…” She almost fell off the rafter. “Pig? When did you get here?”

“I got here before you,” Pig answered, reproachfully.

“Oh. Sorry. I just didn’t notice you there.” Hedwig turned back to ‘Nancy’. “And that’s everyone. I expect you already know Mrs. Norris, because I saw you come in with her.”

“Why didn’t you see me come in, then?” Pig cried.

Hedwig ignored him. “So now you know everyone in here, N-Nancy.”

“It’s just Nancy,” Wormtail corrected.

“Oh.”

There was silence, only interrupted by Fang’s loud, long snores as everyone tried to think of something to say. Fawkes was the first creature to say something.

“While we’re all here together, does anyone know what happened to Professors Dumbledore and Hagrid? Only I’ve been wondering for a while, and…erm…I thought that one of you might know…”

“Why do you want to know? What happened to them?” Wormtail asked.

Fawkes tried to look mysterious, but it didn’t work “ he just looked like he was in a lot of pain. “They disappeared. No one knows where they went.” He paused. “Well, I’m guessing that Dumbledore and Hagrid know where Dumbledore and Hagrid are, and I’m guessing that at least one other person has an idea where they both are, which is why I’m asking you all. What about you, Fang? Hagrid’s your human, after all. Do you know where he is?”

“He’s asleep,” Trevor replied, as Fang snorted in his sleep.

“Ah.” Fawkes looked a little upset. “Could you wake him up?”

Trevor looked nervously at the huge, black, furry, drooling mass that was Fang and gulped. “I don’t think I can,” he replied.

“Let me do it!” said Hedwig. “I think I can wake him up…”

She screeched loudly, and Fang woke up with a start, leaping to his feet and barking, “What is it? Who’s there?” He stared at all the creatures in his hut. “Oh, I think I remember you. What do you want?”

“I was wondering,” Fawkes said, “if you had any idea where Hagrid is. Any idea at all?”

“Now you mention it,” Fang said slowly, “I don’t. Can I go back to sleep?” He didn’t wait for an answer “ he just lay down and started snoring as soon as his furry head hit the floor.

“This is a boring story,” said Kess, perched up in the rafters. “Nothing’s happening.” Everyone turned to stare at her.

“What do you mean, ‘story?’” Trevor asked suspiciously.

“I was just thinking of what I’d tell all of the other owls about this. They won’t like it, though. As I just said, it’s boring. Nothing’s happening,” Kess repeated.

“That’s right,” replied Mrs. Norris, getting to her paws and stretching her legs. “I should probably leave now. I know when I’m not wanted…” she said, looking pointedly at Crookshanks, who was still curled up at the other end of the table, trying to get as far away from Mrs. Norris as possible.

Crookshanks looked shocked, and gasped. “It’s not that you’re not wanted! I just don’t like you.”

“It’s the same thing. Still, I’d better go. Me and W - I mean, Nancy have got to go. You know, things to do, places to go, creatures to see… Come on, Nancy!”

Wormtail got to his feet. “Yes, we’d better go. Good luck finding out what happened to Dumbledore and Hagrid!”

The pair of them walked over to the door, which was still ajar, and crept out into the living darkness outside.

“You know,” said Hedwig, once she was sure that Mrs. Norris and Nancy had gone, “I’m sure I recognise that rat from somewhere, but I can’t remember where…”