Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lily, James and Harry Potter by Mad_as_a_Fishie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As Lily Potter ascended the stairs to check on her son Harry, someone knocked at the door. She heard her husband, James’ voice call from the kitchen, “I’ll get that Lily!”

She entered her son’s room, he was awake.

“Hello sleepy,” she said affectionately as she lifted him from his cot, “Did you have a nice nap?”

Harry was only a year old and already had a thick mop of untidy dark hair. His bright green eyes stared into his mother's, which were the same colour, and he gurgled contentedly. Lily held him close to her. At that moment James called up the stairs, “Lily, I think you had better come down!” There was something in his voice she didn’t like, still holding Harry she descended the stairs an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

James was in the living room with their visitor.

“Dumbledore!” she exclaimed “What are you doing here?” Dumbledore’s blue eyes gazed at her and then lowered to stare at Harry; his eyes were grave. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

Dumbledore uttered one word.

“Voldemort.”

Lily glanced at James. They had known for months that Voldemort had been following their movements. Indeed they had already had three near misses where Voldemort had nearly killed them but since Harry had been born, for his sake, they had refrained from any resistance; they could not bear the thought of Harry's growing up without them. Dumbledore continued with some difficulty.

“Things are getting dangerous. He’s desperate to find you. You remember the prophecy I told you about just after Harry was born?”

They nodded silently.

“Well, until now, he has been hesitant about taking action because he knows or at least suspects that he didn’t hear the full prophecy. Which is true. But now he has decided to risk it.”

Lily glanced uneasily at James, who was staring at Dumbledore fearfully.

“You said a year ago that the prophecy could mean two boys, Dumbledore. Harry and Neville Longbottom. Are you sure he’s definitely after Harry?” he asked, his voice shaking with dread. They stared at Dumbledore, who seemed to be working up the motivation to speak. They knew the answer by his expression long before he said it.

“Yes.”

“He wants to kill Harry!” murmured Lily. Dumbledore closed his eyes and spoke with difficulty.

“That’s right,” James placed an arm around Lily’s shoulders and lowered his eyes to his son who was struggling to get out of his mother’s arms. Lily gently lowered him to the floor, and Harry began to crawl awkwardly around. James felt as if his heart had been ripped out; he couldn’t let anything happen to Harry. He would rather die than watch his son suffer at the hands of Voldemort.

“Bu t… didn’t you say … ” Lily began hesitantly trying to remember Dumbledore’s words, “ … wasn’t there something in the prophecy about Voldemort's marking the child as his equal. Surely he realises that something will happen if he tries to attack Harry that will mark him. He must see that the best thing to do is just leave it -- then neither will be his equal.”

“No Lily, he doesn’t know about that part of the prophecy. His spy was discovered and thrown out before he could hear that part. As far as he’s concerned, killing Harry will rid him of the one person who can bring about his downfall,” said Dumbledore gravely.

Lily sighed. She looked lost. Bending down, she picked Harry up off the floor where he had been playing with a discarded sock. Desperately she held him close, James squeezed her gently with his arm still around her shoulder and with his other hand reached to stroke his son’s hair. Harry looked up at his parents still smiling warmly raising the sock to his mouth.

“There is one sure way of protecting you, and that is the Fidelius Charm,” said Dumbledore. “You will need to choose a Secret Keeper.”

“Sirius,” said James immediately. Dumbledore hesitated.

“I think, James, it might be best if I become your Secret Keeper. It is obvious from the information Voldemort has received that someone close to you has turned traitor … ”

“Are you suggesting Sirius is this traitor, Dumbledore?” asked James incredulously.

“No James, I am merely saying that to be on the safe side, it would be best if I became your Secret Keeper. It may be Sirius, it may not. All I can say is that one of your close friends is betraying you and it would be safer for you all if you refrained from using them as your Secret Keeper.”

James shook his head.

“It’s not Sirius,” he said with utmost certainty. Lily looked at him.

“James … ”

“You’ve met him, Lily, you know him,” he cried, “Would he betray us? He’s Harry’s Godfather for goodness sake. Do you remember how happy he was when he held Harry for the first time, and we told him we’d like him to be Harry’s guardian? Sirius isn’t the traitor. He’d die before betraying us, you know that.”

Lily shook her head as she tucked a lock of hair back behind her ear to stop Harry from tugging on it.

“James, I find it hard to believe Sirius would betray us too, but often it’s the ones we least expect who turn out to be traitors and let’s face it no matter how much you trust him it will be safer to let Dumbledore be the Secret Keeper.”

James shook his head again.

“It’s not him,” he said stubbornly, “I trust him with my life. He will be our Secret Keeper.”

Lily sighed and stood up. “Fine, but I think you’re being foolish,” and with that she left the room, taking Harry with her.

James stared after her.

“I understand her concerns Dumbledore but I’ve known Sirius longer than she has and I am one-hundred percent positive that he is not the traitor. In fact, I don’t think any of my friends are.”

Dumbledore seemed worried. He stood up and took his cloak from the back of the chair he had been sitting on.

“Well, it’s against my better judgement, James, but if you insist, then I will trust you. You are definitely using Sirius?”

“Yes, I know you have doubts, Dumbledore, but I know Sirius will never betray us -- he’d rather die.”

“Yes well,” Dumbledore fastened his cloak and held out a hand, and James shook it. “I sincerely hope you, Lily and Harry will be kept safe. Hopefully you will not have to be in hiding for long.” And with that he exited the house. James shut and bolted the door after him and went to look for Lily.

She was sitting at the kitchen table feeding Harry. He sat opposite her, her eyes remained fixed on Harry.

“James, are you sure about this? I do trust Sirius but I’d feel much safer if Dumbledore was our Secret Keeper.”

James reached over and squeezed her hand. “I know you’re worried Lily; I am too. But I trust Sirius as much as I trust Dumbledore -- we’ll be safe, don’t you worry,” he said reassuringly. Lily sighed and nodded.

“Right, I think we should waste no more time, I’ll contact Sirius. Are you coming?” he asked. Lily raised her eyes to his.

“Yes, maybe you’re right, James. Maybe I’m just worrying too much.”

James smiled. “Come on then.”

They entered the living room. Harry was becoming sleepy. James crossed to their open fire place and took a small china pot from the mantelshelf; it was full of glittering Floo Powder. Taking a handful he threw it into the fire, the flames turning bright green. Lily placed Harry in one of the arm chairs and placed cushions protectively around him so he could not fall off. Behind her she heard James talking to Sirius.

“Sirius! … Yes we’re fine thank you. Mate, could you do us a favour and come round for a second? We need to have a chat.” He pulled his head out of the flames and seconds later, a figure appeared spinning in the flames. Out of the fire place stepped Sirius Black, James’s best and oldest friend.

“James, mate!” he laughed, throwing his arm around James’s shoulders in a brotherly embrace. “Long time no see!”

“Well, we’ve been very busy recently.”

“Well, that’s understandable, what with having a kid as lively as Harry. Lily! How are you?” He gave her a friendly hug.

“I’m fine, thanks, Sirius,” she said smiling slightly. Sirius always managed to cheer her up no matter how bad she felt. He was one of those people who always seemed to be doing something; he was lively and energetic and always willing to give a friendly hug and a smile even when he wasn’t feeling too good himself. It was surprising given the family the poor guy had grown up in.

“And there’s the man himself!” laughed Sirius as he noticed Harry sitting on the chair.

As soon as he had heard Sirius’ voice Harry had snapped out of his doze. He giggled as Sirius swept him up onto his strong shoulders. James smiled. Harry loved when Sirius visited them. He was always playing games with Harry and teasing him. Harry now laughed happily from above Sirius’ head and tugged at the dark hair in front of him.

“Ow! Little monster! He’s got a strong grip there, James!” chuckled Sirius. He lifted Harry down and handed him to James. “Now, what do you need to talk to me about?”

He took one look at James’ grave face and sat down, “What’s happened?”

James sat down next to Lily on the sofa, and placed Harry on his knee.

“We’ve just had a visit from Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore?”

“Yes, he had some, well, bad news … ” he held Harry tight and told Sirius all that Dumbledore had told them. “So I was wondering if you’d be our Secret Keeper,” he finished.

Sirius was frowning.

“He’s after Harry? My God! Well, sure, I’d love to be you’re Secret Keeper it’s just … ”

“What?”

“Well … Voldemort will probably guess you’ll use the Fidelius Charm and he’ll also guess that you’ll use me as a Secret Keeper.”

James frowned.

“What’re you getting at?”

“Well, I just thought, maybe it would be better if you used someone he’d never suspect you’d use, like Peter. Voldemort would never imagine you’d use someone like him -- it’s the perfect bluff, you’ll be safer than if I were your Secret Keeper.”

Lily looked uneasy.

“I don’t know, Sirius,” she said hesitantly, “I’ve never been overly fond of Pettigrew. I’ve got a feeling that if Voldemort ever found out that Pettigrew was our Secret Keeper it wouldn’t take long before he gives up and betrays us. He’s a coward Sirius, I never liked him even at Hogwarts, and it was obvious that he only hung around with you because you were the most powerful and intelligent students in the year. If I had to take a bet on which of James’s friends is the traitor, I’d bet on Pettigrew.”

Sirius laughed.

“Peter a servant of Voldemort? Lily, he’s petrified of him. I can’t imagine him going anywhere near him.”

Lily shook her head slightly.

“I don’t trust him Sirius,” she said shortly.

James maneuvered Harry so that he was sitting a little more comfortably. He was regarding Sirius with some doubt.

“I’m not sure, mate. I trust you more than I trust Peter.”

“Then trust me now. I’ll keep an eye on him regularly. If he gives any hint that he’s the traitor I’ll kill him in the spot. Happy?”

They were silent. Lily watched James, fearfully hoping he wouldn’t agree. Not taking up Dumbledore’s offer was one thing, but now he was considering using Peter Pettigrew -- it was madness!

“Alright then Sirius, I’ll trust you on this one, but please keep a close eye on him. I’ll feel much better if you’re close to him.”

“Sure, I’ll make sure I’m somewhere close to him. You’ll be safe.” Lily made a small, frustrated noise and disappeared up the stairs.

“She never liked him,” James explained, “She tried to stop me inviting him to our wedding, too.” He sighed and stood up. “Well mate, it's getting quite late, and Harry should have been in bed ages ago. I’ll contact Peter tomorrow to perform the charm.”

Sirius took Harry from James and stared at him.

“There’s no way I’ll let that devil hurt you James -- and definitely not my little matey Harry,” he tickled Harry under the chin, “I’ll guard Pettigrew with my life, you can count on that.”

He gave Harry a quick peck on the top of the head, handed him back to James and walked to the fire place.

“And … if by any chance something does happen to us … ” said James a slight tone of fear in his voice.

“Then Harry can have a safe home with me, but I hope to God it doesn’t come to that.” James placed Harry gently on the sofa and embraced Sirius.

“So do I, mate. So do I.”

And with that Sirius took a handful of Floo Powder and disappeared in a whirl of emerald flames.

Picking up Harry and holding him tight, James climbed the stairs to find Lily. He was afraid. He wouldn’t have minded much if Voldemort was after him, he’d had enough practice at escaping him, but to know he was after Harry … what if he came before the Fidelius Charm was performed? He shivered and kissed his son on the cheek, he would never let Voldemort hurt Harry, at least not while he was alive. Lily was in their bedroom sitting on the bed, her head in her hands. Before going in to her, he took Harry into his room and placed him gently into his cot. Harry sighed sleepily and stuck his tiny thumb into his mouth. James tenderly stroked his hair then turned around and went to Lily.

She looked up as he entered the room. Her eyes were red, she was crying.

“Are you mad, James? Have you gone insane? First you tell Dumbledore you don’t want to use him as a Secret Keeper and now you’ve allowed Sirius to persuade you to use Pettigrew! Do you want to see your son dead?” she sobbed angrily.

“Of course not Lily, don’t say things like that,” he said sitting next to her. “Sirius is still protecting us -- you know he sticks to his word.”

“Pettigrew isn’t as stupid as he looks, if he is the traitor, he’ll slip through Sirius’s fingers some way or another.”

“Stop worrying Lily, I trust Sirius. Even if he does, you can guarantee he’ll come and warn us. We’ll go to Godric’s Hollow; Voldemort is sure to know we’re here by now.”

Lily was silent. She knew it was pointless saying anything else now that James had made up his mind. She stood and went to see Harry. He was asleep. She stoked his cheek gently, tears falling down her face.

“Harry,” she whispered, “if anything does happen to me, or to James, we’ll always be there for you, always. No matter what you do or where you are, we’ll be watching you, and I know you’ll make us very proud. Remember that, we’ll always be there, and we’ll always love you.”

Tears streaming from her eyes, she turned and left the room.

* * *


A few days had gone by since the Fidelius Charm had been performed. Sirius mounted his flying motorbike and took off heading toward Peter’s hiding place. So far everything had gone well, Lily and James were safe and there had been no indication of Voldemort's having any clue of where they were. He was almost certain now that Peter was not the traitor. If he was, surely he would have given the information away immediately. It had been almost a week and nothing had happened. He descended as Peter’s hideout came into view, it was quiet, and the lights were out. A small seed of uncertainty sprang to Sirius’ mind. He jumped of his motorbike almost as soon as it touched the ground. The house looked empty. What if Voldemort had come for Peter?

His heart beating hard against his chest Sirius ran up to the door, it was swinging open … but not forced open. He entered the dark house.

“Peter? Peter!” No answer. Panicking, Sirius mounted the stairs and checked every room, finding nothing he searched downstairs. Nothing. No note, no signs of life. No signs of a struggle. Peter had left voluntarily. His heart stopped.

“Lily was right! She was right!” he yelled and he ran as fast as he could and mounted his bike. They needed him -- Lily and James needed him! He didn’t care about Muggles seeing him, he didn’t care about the danger he was putting himself in. The Potters needed him.