Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Behind A Scarlet Veil by Sectumsempra

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter One - Reflections



"GINNY ARE YOU UP YET?

Ginny Weasley woke with a start, her mothers shrill voice still ringing in her ears, Not again, she groaned, for Mrs Weasley had just interrupted Ginnys dream, which, was once again, was about Harry Potter. Ginny never could get Harry out of her head, but the thoughts and dreams she was having about him were getting more and more painful to her; dreams of things she could have had, but said no to.

Ginny rolled over in her bed, burying her face in her pillow, as her mother shouted for her again, Yes, mum, Im getting up!

With a loud groan, Ginny dragged herself out of bed and headed to her closet, she pulled out the first things she could find and pulled them over her head, realising halfway through that she was trying to put on a pair of trousers over her head she stopped and put them on properly, then grabbed a old t-shirt from the closet and threw it over her head. When she was dressed she headed over to the mirror that hung on her wall, sighing at the sight of herself she picked up a brush and began to comb the tangles out of her long red hair.

Satisfied that she had done all she could do with her hair, Ginny threw the hairbrush down onto her bed, where it bounced off and fell underneath the bed. Muttering to herself Ginny bent down to pick up the hairbrush and saw something shiny glinting at her from further under the bed, lying on her stomach Ginny crawled under the bed and reached out for the shiny article. Ginny crawled back out from under the bed, and looked at the item she had just retrieved, she let out an audible gasp as she recognised the shining silver locket she held in her hand, Harry had given it to her the night before he set out to defeat Voldemort. Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she caressed the locket, she had not seen it in over a year, ever since she threw it under her bed and forgot about it.

Wiping the tears away Ginny put the locket down carefully on her bedside table, and went to leave her room, as she reached the door she turned and looked at the locket one more time, tears springing to her eyes once again as she threw herself down on her bed, sobbing to herself, Why did I let him go? Why did I say no to him? Hell never forgive me, Ive lost him, she wept, she felt totally alone.

Searching for solace, Ginny opened the bottom drawer in her chest of drawers, and reached towards the back, searching, until she laid her hands on what she was looking for, she held in her hands several letters, all unopened, all from the same person. She began to open one when she heard someone coming up the stairs; she hastily shoved the letters back into the drawer and slammed the drawer shut and quickly shoved the locket underneath a pillow. Her bedroom door opened, Ginny Weasley, why are you not up yet!? called her mother, Ginny? Ginny what in heavens name is the matter? Mrs Weasley rushed over to her youngest daughter, concern etched in every line on her kind face.

Ginny looked up, tears still streaming down her face, Oh, Mum, its nothing, really, nothing. Shell never believe that.

Mrs Weasley surveyed her daughter, I dont believe you Ginny, whats the matter dear?

Ive told you , its nothing!

Ginevra Weasley, you are my only daughter, if you think I am going to accept that feeble excuse then you are very much mistaken, now whats the matter?

Ginny hesitated, she did not want to lie to her mother, but she did not want to tell the truth either, eventually she told her a half truth, something that was playing on her mind, but not to the extent which Harry was, Im just upset about it being my last year at Hogwarts. She tried to smile up at her mother, but her muscles just would not let her do it.

Mrs Weasley patted her daughter on the head, and when she spoke again it was in a much more sympathetic tone of voice, I know its a big step to be starting your seventh year at Hogwarts, but there is nothing to fear now once youve left, Voldemort is gone, for good, ever since Harry, her voice trailed off as she caught her daughters eye, and saw the longing there, she took a deep breath and started talking again Ginny, dear, I know how you feel for Harry, but you know why he had to leave, he had to confront Voldemort. Since then, he has had to endure his N.E.W.T exams, and now hes preparing for his Auror training. Im sure he still likes you, but hes a hero, a hero Ginny, hes got no time to himself anymore; trailed everywhere he goes, people treating him like he is some sort of attraction in a zoo, rather than the person who saved us all from Voldemort.

Ginny looked up at her mother, and her lips finally managed a smile, and she made herself hold in more tears, she loved her mum for trying to make it better, but there was so much Mrs Weasley did not know. She did know that Harry had been trying to contact Ginny; she did not know that the reason Harry had not visited the Burrow since Bill and Fleurs wedding was because of how he and Ginny left things.

Hes out of my life, and its all my fault, Ginny thought wistfully to herself.

Now come on dear, up you get, weve got to get to Diagon Alley, weve got lots to buy, I dont know, you, a prefect and now Quidditch captain, were so proud of you. Ron and Hermione are back from their stay at the Grangers and will be meeting us there! Now come on, get a move on!

As Mrs Weasley left the room, Ginny reached underneath her pillow and withdrew the locket, she looked at it, and it bought a smile to her face as she fastened it around her neck. Feeling much better than she did she headed downstairs, shutting her bedroom door behind her.

As she entered the kitchen, she noticed that her mother was not alone there, her brothers Fred, George were there, deep in conversation with a third red headed figure, build like the twins, with a large burn on one arm.

CHARLIE! Ginny cried, running over to him and hugging him. She had not seen her second oldest brother since Bills wedding last year.

Hiya, Gin, he grinned, extracting himself from her hug.

What are you doing here?

Im in the country for a while, we got a report of some escaped Welsh Greens, he paused, noting the look of concern on his sisters face, Dont worry weve caught them all, when youre as talented a dragon handler as me, a few Welsh Greens are no trouble. He flashed a smile her way.

Youre such a big head! teased Ginny, reaching up to tap him on the head as she spoke.

Anyway, said Charlie, ignoring her tapping, Ive got a good month or so left before I have to go back to Romania, so I thought Id stay here, celebrate your birthday with you, maybe come along to Diagon Alley with you.

Ginny smiled, she always got on well with Charlie, him being here had cheered her up no end, she opened her mouth to reply when Mrs Weasley thrust a handful of floo powder into her hand and pushed her into the fireplace.

Hurry, hurry, hurry, she scolded.

Diagon Alley! called Ginny clearly, and she disappeared in a burst of emerald flame.

Ginny felt the familiar spinning sensation as she travelled through the floo network, emerging out of the fireplace in the Leaky Cauldron. No sooner had she stepped out of the fireplace then her vision was obscured by an excitable, shrieking bush of brown hair.

Ginny, how good to see you! cried Hermione Ron! Ron! Shes here, Ron, oh now where has he gone!

Im right here, complained an annoyed Ron from somewhere behind Hermione. Calm down and look properly next time! Hello, Ginny, give me a hug then. Ron flashed a smile Ginnys way and pulled her into a brotherly embrace.

How did you manage with the Muggles? asked Ginny eagerly.

Ron laughed until he saw the acidic look Hermione was giving him, I got into a bit of trouble when I tried to listen to some music, they have these weird shiny things called see-dees, I didnt know you were supposed to put them in a machine to get them to work, honestly, muggles.

Ginny laughed, Ron chuckled some more, even Hermione joined in. The fireplace then burst into life once more as Mrs Weasley, Fred, George and Charlie all appeared behind Ginny, Charlie? What are you doing here? Ron said incredulously.

Charlie sighed, Honestly, do I have to explain to everyone, cant my baby brother just to glad to see me? Charlie rubbed his knuckles on Rons head as he spoke, though he had to reach up to do it.

No time for that now, come on, come on, said Mrs Weasley bossily, pushing them out of the door.

Ginny was having a lot of fun shopping with all her new school things; Fred and George said their goodbyes when they reached Weasleys Wizard Wheezes and headed off to get back to work. Ginny was really enjoying herself with Ron and Hermione, it was great to have Charlie back in the country, even better that he was going to be around on her birthday. As happy as she was though, Ginny could not help but feel sad inside, it just was not the same without Harry.

After visiting Flourish & Blotts to get her new books, as well as Madam Malkins for some new robes, Ginny decided to take advantage when Mrs Weasley announced she was going to have to go to Gringotts to get some more money, Charlie went with her, saying how hed like to see Bill again. As they sat outside Fortescues Ice Cream Parlour she decided she was going to ask the question that had been on her mind since she arrived in Diagon Alley.

Ron, Hermione, I need to ask you something.

Ron and Hermione looked darkly at each other and rapidly started talking about different things, Work is going really well thanks Ginny. Said Ron

Im considering a change of career in all honesty. Said Hermione, an odd expression on her face.

Ginny was taking aback by this, and forgot what she was about to ask, Why Hermione? I thought you enjoyed being a curse breaker?

Oh I do, I just feel like I could do better doing something else.

Like what?

I thought about teaching, I might come up to Hogwarts and talk to McGonagall about it.

Ginny was impressed, but not surprised, she had secretly always thought that Hermione would want a position where she could be the cleverest person there, teaching certainly fulfilled that.

Thats really exciting Hermione. What subject do you want to teach? asked Ginny.

Oh. I was thinking of Transfiguration. It must be a strain on poor Minerva to be Headmistress and still teach Transfiguration. Replied Hermione, absent-mindedly stirring her now-melted ice cream sundae with her spoon.

Too bad youre not teaching this year. I could use a friend at school.

Youve got Luna and Colin, and Dennis. Youre the most popular girl in school, Ginny. Said Ron.

Yeah, but Im going to miss not having you, Hermione or Harry there this year.

Silence descended at the mention of Harry s name and Ginny remembered what she was about to ask, and she opened her mouth before Ron or Hermione could change the subject.

Hows Harry?




A/N - Thanks to my Beta Orlaith! Please R n R. Future Chapters all written and ready to go!