Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Age of Innocence by GinnyAtHeart

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
a/n: So I was looking for pictures to make banners and I came across this certain movie still (can be found at http://www.geocities.com/blckamthyststar/GoF.jpg). Looking at the picture, the following story idea popped into my head. I hope everyone likes it!




The cold wall pierced her skin through her robes. It was the weekend before winter holiday and she had become accustomed to sitting alone in the small archway for the last few days. Her mind had been racing constantly ever since she found out, found out how careless she had been, and she needed to be alone. This was the only place in the school she could find to be alone, so here she sat everyday with her knees to her chest and her back against the wall trying to keep warm in the chilly breeze. She knew she had to tell them what was going on, but she didn’t know how. All she knew was she had to tell them soon, before the holiday, and before they found out on their own.

She only glanced up from her feet as her thoughts were abruptly halted by the sound of several steps headed her way. She knew all too well who had come looking for her and she wished she had the invisibility cloak. She knew she wasn’t ready for the discussion that was about to take place, but she didn’t seem to have a choice now. They had obviously become too curious for their own good and weren’t going to let her back out for another day. She set her head on her knees and braced herself as they finally approached.

“Ok, Hermione, we’ve had enough,” Ron started as he leaned against the wall across from her. “Tell us what’s going on.”

Hermione didn’t move. She couldn’t look him in the eye. She couldn’t look either of them in the eye for that matter. Her stomach started to churn and she had to bite her lip not to get sick in front of them. Was it nerves or -

“Hermione, we’re not joking,” Harry said with force as he sat at Ron’s feet on the first step leading from the archway. “We’ve given you far long enough to tell us what’s going on. We know something’s wrong and I of all people know that no one should bottle up their feelings. For magic’s sake, you’re the one that told me not to hold it in.”

With that Hermione finally raised her head. A single tear slid down her cheek as she looked into his eyes. She knew she had to tell them, to tell them both, and there was no getting around it now. Everyday she tried to think of a way she could do it without hurting either of them, but there seemed no solution. It was now or never.

Fighting back the tears brimming her eyes she began to speak softly with regret lacing every word, “I have something to tell you…both.”

Ron and Harry looked at her intently, they were finally going to figure out why she had been avoiding them the last few days, and thinking back, why she had been acting so weird the last couple of months. Their eyes felt like daggers into her soul as she realized the effect her words were going to make, and another single tear streamed down her cheek.

“I’m pregnant,” she announced with a sudden pain in her chest.

She had said it to no one in particular; she just stared at the wall. A slight weight had been lifted, but she wasn’t done. The worst was yet to come, but she knew she had to let this sink in first. If she was going to go that far, she knew there was no turning back now.

Ron, her on-again, off-again boyfriend of the last two years, and currently off-again with the recent seemingly cold shoulders from her, stared at a random tree along the wall leading from the stairs. He wasn’t ready to be a father. He was ashamed that Harry was finding out how careless he and Hermione had been in their recent affairs. Harry was their best friend, but there are some things that should be kept private.

Harry, too, stared off into the vast expanse of the grounds arbitrarily. He had a slight clue why Hermione was involving him in this personal information too, and he suddenly wished he was off fighting Voldemort instead. Certainly, a battle with the dark lord would be easier to handle than what would certainly be coming out soon. He didn’t know exactly how this had all come to be and was beginning to regret every moment.

Hermione looked at Ron first who was unmistakably shocked and rightfully so. He looked confused and upset and she knew he was wondering why she stated this in Harry’s presence. Not able to look into his hurt eyes for another minute she looked down to Harry. Her eyes once again filling with tears as she swore she could see the gears turning in his head, overwhelming disbelief setting into his features. It was now or never for the final and most brutal of her scandal to be revealed.

“There’s something else -- something worse,” she said with sniffles as she couldn’t hold back her tears any longer.

Ron looked at her with rage as he couldn’t comprehend how anything could be worse than the bombshell she had just laid on him. He looked down at Harry still unable to understand why she was blurting all these personal travesties with him there and then looked again to her with more anger. Harry closed his eyes bracing himself for what he feared so much, the indignity he regretted more and more every moment of his existence.

The tears fell harder at her feet, and with a final sob, “I don’t know who the father is.”




a/n: It has been said that Hermione seems a bit out of character in this chapter. Trust me everything will be cleared up next chapter.

Those that think this is in the wrong thread, don't worry Ginny should come in at Chapter 4.