Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Age of Innocence by GinnyAtHeart

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
a/n: So you think everything is all goody-goody between everyone? Don't count your chickens before they hatch.




“So what are you going to do about it?” Ginny asked approaching Hermione in an empty corner of the common room.

She had been waiting several weeks to talk to Hermione. Ginny had taken longer than she expected to work through her own feelings about the situation. By the time she was ready to approach Hermione, she could never catch her completely alone.

“Do about what?” Hermione asked vaguely registering Ginny’s presence while she continued to read.

“Oh come off it,” Ginny with an increased upset in her voice, “you know what I’m talking about.”

Hermione looked up into Ginny’s menacing scowl. In apparent shock, she subconsciously looked down at her stomach and Ginny simply laughed with criticism. She looked back to Ginny who was sneering with satisfaction. Hermione knew her better than that; she knew it was only a façade Ginny was using to hide her true feelings. She could tell that inside Ginny was hurt and disappointed.

“Did you honestly think I wouldn’t find out?” she snorted at Hermione, who was now completely bewildered.

“Bu-but h-how?” Hermione stuttered.

“Harry,” Ginny said, her face now growing solemn, “How could you Hermione? I thought you were my friend. I’ve never lied to you! I’ve poured out my soul to you! You knew how much I loved…forget that…still love, Harry! How could you know all that and still just turn around and stab me in the back without a second thought?

“I trusted you. How could you...,” her voice began to stutter as her emotions overwhelmed her, “I just...I can’t believe you right now...”

Ginny fought hard to stop the tears from falling from her eyes. She told herself over and over that she would not give Hermione the satisfaction of seeing her cry. It was Hermione that should feel bad, not her, she thought a million times.

“Ginny, I- ” but Hermione stopped, not knowing what she could possibly say to rectify the situation, “it wasn’t intentional.”

Ginny sat in a chair across from Hermione and placed her head in her hands. She thought she had fully prepared for this conversation, but she found that she was having trouble hearing it. She blinked back a stray tear and looked up. “I just don’t understand Hermione. It’s not like you, like either of you. And my brother?” she rambled on as her emotions took hold of her.

Looking into Hermione’s eyes, Ginny noticed that she too had begun to weep. “I’m so sorry,” Hermione said so softly and honestly as a hot tear rolled down her cheek, “I never meant for any of this to happen. I don’t even really know how it happened. And I obviously wish it hadn’t so I might not be in this predicament.”

Hermione fought back more tears as she continued, “I would never intentionally hurt any of you, especially not Ron. I really do love him. I just don’t know what happened...”

Hermione’s own ramblings were halted as Ginny rose from the chair. “Don’t bother,” Ginny snapped, “I don’t need excuses.”

Hermione jumped with surprise. She had never seen Ginny act this way and the bitterness of her words stung every inch of Hermione’s body. Hermione was startled and at a loss for words. She didn’t want to have a row with Ginny, not here, not now, not ever, and especially not about this. She moved to stand and caught a livid glare from Ginny.

“Look Ginny, I don’t want to fight,” she started, moving closer to Ginny.

Ginny’s face began to soften slightly as realization began to set in on how she had acted. “I don’t either Hermione. I’m just upset.”

They looked into each other’s eyes with a solemn understanding of one another. “As angry as I am, you are still my friend, and I just wanted to know if I could help,” Ginny said earnestly.

“Let’s go for a walk,” suggested Hermione pulling her towards the portrait hole.

Ginny followed without another word. Neither of them spoke again till they had reached the lake and began a trek around it. “I honestly don’t know what to do Ginny,” said Hermione, finally breaking the silence.

“How far along are you?”

“About two months or so I suppose.”

“Hermione, that means you can finish the school year,” Ginny said with a smile, knowing that Hermione would want nothing less.

“That’s only if no one finds out,” Hermione added with a frown, “I don’t know how I’m going to hide this.”

Ginny thought for a moment. “How ‘bout an enlargement charm like Dad used on the ministry cars?” she suggested.

Hermione looked incredulously at Ginny, “I don’t need any enlargement Ginny! I’m going to enlarge enough on my own.”

Ginny laughed a little, “No, I meant for your robes. At least for the first few months...”

Ginny saw a slight smile creep across Hermione’s face and realized that Hermione had not though of it herself. She had been much too busy wallowing in self pity to search for a plan. “I suppose that’s the best we can do for now,” Hermione stated as they continued to circle the lake.

***

“I talked to Hermione,” Ginny told Harry as she sat at his feet in front of the warm fire in the common room later that night.

“You ‘talked’ to Hermione?” Harry asked incredulously knowing Ginny’s temper could become as fiery as his at times.

“Alright, so we had a row…but things are alright now,” she admitted, and then seeing the accusing look on Harry’s face, added, “I promise.”

“So what did the two of you ‘talk’ about?” he asked, still skeptical, and not knowing if he really wanted to hear the answer.

“We came up with a short term plan to get her by unnoticed until we can come up with a long term plan.”

“Oh...” he said with mild enthusiasm, “that’s good I suppose.”

“You know,” Ginny said looking up into his eyes, her stare piercing his soul, “the long term plan is really up to you.”

“Why?” Harry shouted with distress.

“Because it doesn’t matter if it belongs to you or not.”

“What do you mean?” he asked in astonishment.

“Because even a rumour can affect the outcome if it reaches the ‘wrong’ people.”

Harry stared at her with devastation. He had not entirely thought about the consequences of the situation and realization was setting in. Even if the baby is mine or not, the thought alone could bring Voldemort to harm him or her. Harry’s thoughts danced wildly around his head until only one choice lingered.

“Than for Ron’s sake and everyone involved, I will completely give up responsibility,” he blurted out.

“Harry,” Ginny shrieked in surprise.

This wasn’t the answer she had expected for him. In fact she hadn’t expected an answer at all. She was simply trying to get him to own up to the circumstances and weigh his decisions responsibly.

“I’m serious Ginny. There is too much risk to anyone involved in my life. Everyone knows that, especially you. This is why we broke up Ginny, remember?”

She didn’t need him to remind her. It lay fresh on her mind everyday how lucky she was to have him back in her life. She was willing the make the sacrifices to be there for him whether he wanted her to be or not. She had already learned her lesson of leaving him to settle his own dilemmas. That was what got them in this predicament in the first place.

“And I don’t want to hurt Ron…anymore,” he added abruptly, “we’ve all been through enough lately and this has been so rough on him. If I end it like this, there won’t be any worries about ‘Who?’ anymore and everyone will be safe.”

Ginny opened her mouth to argue, but no words came out. Harry had made a valid point and Ginny was sure how to rebut. Her thoughts swirled madly around in her head and one single image stood out, her brother. “He’ll always wonder,” she said sincerely.

“I’m sure he will; and if he does, then when the time comes and I’ve taken care of Voldemort for good, we’ll put all questions to rest.”

Ginny nodded, not wanting to dwell on the thought any longer than necessary. “And what of you and Hermione?” she asked with concern.

“What about it? It was a mistake and nothing more. She’ll understand my decisions and if she doesn’t, well then, she’ll just have to deal with it. I’ll be there as a friend and nothing more, for her and...,” his voice lingering when he thought of the baby.

Ginny looked up at Harry one last time and realized his mind was made up. There was no turning back now for any of them. It would be a long difficult journey ahead for all of them and they had chosen to take it together.




a/n: I am working on the next chapter, with twists and turns no one, but my beta, will expect. ::evil laugh::