Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The War Coming In by FannyPrice

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: This story is slightly AU, because Remus Lupin is Head boy, not James Potter. I did this, because in OOTP James isn't a prefect, and I assume that in order to be Head boy you would have to have been one. Hagrid, however, in P/S tells us that Lily and James were Head boy/girl, but for this story I assumed that he was mistaken and exaggerating out of love and respect for Lily/James. Hagrid has been known to exaggerate, or so JKR says. There is my justification. All Characters belong to JKR. Enjoy!

James Potter, black hair always tousled, hazel eyes always sparkling, leaned against a pillar near the Hogwarts’ Express. He was talking light-heartedly with his best friend, Sirius Black. Sirius also leaned against the pillar, arms across his chest, one foot resting against his trunk. They were both staring at the wrought iron entrance to the platform. On the other side, the muggle side, the entrance took its form as a brick wall.

Anybody who knew anything about James and Sirius( and that was quite a few people, since they had a habit of making themselves noticeable, even when invisible) knew that they were waiting for the other two counterparts of their group, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. They called themselves the Marauders. “Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs- Makers of Fine Map,” Sirius would joke. They were indeed the makers of a fine map, only one, which was of course dubbed the Marauders Map. It showed and labeled everybody on Hogwarts’ property, and all the secret passages and corridors of the castle. They had gained their extensive knowledge of the school grounds through their monthly escapades as Animagi and werewolf, and their many adventures under James’s invisibility cloak. The four good friends were about to start their seventh year at Hogwarts- their final year.

Our final year, thought James. Though anxious to start a life of his own outside of Hogwarts, James knew he would miss the carelessness that he and his friends felt at school. While thinking on this, James had let his conversation with Sirius trail off, yet his eyes were still pointed in the direction of the archway, unfocused though they were. Sirius had drawn his gaze away from the archway, and fixed James with a half-incredulous, half-expectant look on his face. James made an audible sigh, an early symptom of nostalgia.

“James?”

“Hmm?”

“Oy, Prongs I said that Snivellus over there had so much grease on his face that it could grease at least seven different cake pans . . . ha ha? . . . nothin’?”

“Oh, ha ha- yeah, mmm, funny.”

“Yeah . . . one cake pan for each year that he hasn’t bathed?” Sirius continued on one of his favorite tracks- insulting Severus Snape.

James smiled as he returned to the present. “Well, then you had better make that seventeen cake pans.”

The duo sniggered. Near them several girls sighed. James and Sirius took no notice. Their gaze had returned to the entrance, just in time to catch sight of a head with thick, auburn hair making its way to the train. James sighed again. Sirius squeezed James’s shoulder sympathetically.

“Still stuck on her, then?” he asked, though he already knew the answer.

Some girls nearby and within ear shot of the pair perked up at the question, but when the answer came they drooped like wilted flowers.

“Yes,” James answered blandly.

Sirius shrugged. “Ah well. Anyway, I don’t think asking her out every chance you get is going to work.”

“No, I don’t think so either . . . ” James trailed off.

Sirius stopped in the middle of an explanation about how persistently popping the question hadn’t worked well in the past, to say earnestly, if not eloquently, “Wha-?”

“I mean- I still like her, but she’s obviously happier when I’m not around, and that’s what’s . . . important . . . , isn’t it? Her being happy?”

Sirius was spared the agony of answering the question by a familiar voice, and an all-too-welcome interruption.

“Oy, pad -uh- Sirius, James Over here ” Remus Lupin had reservations about using their nicknames in public. He didn’t think it a pleasant idea if the whole school knew he was a werewolf. At the moment, he was leaning out the window of one of the carriages, beckoning over his two closest friends. Light reddish brown hair fell over his eyes and over his pale skin as he bent down over the window sill to clasp hands with his friends.

Though handsome himself, Lupin did not command the attention of the opposite sex the way James and Sirius did. It was obvious as to why, and Remus did not mind at all. James was athletic and charismatic. Sirius, with his chiseled features and softly curling black hair that fell casually onto luxurious eyelashes, was outgoing and rebellious. And Remus, well, he was shy and studious, and forever plagued by a slightly peaky look due to his being a werewolf. He was, of course, lively enough around his friends. Together, the three of them comprised the most talented students of their graduating class- them, and Lily Evans, of course. And, thought Remus, Snape too. Though, of course, he didn’t like to admit it.

“We didn’t know you were already here. We’ve spent ages waiting for you. How come you didn’t find us earlier?” James complained.

“Well, I thought I’d find us a compartment first. And I had to change,” Remus answered.

The trio were now by the door to the carriage, and Sirius was taking in Remus with a look of mild disgust on his face. “You’re already changed . . .?” Sirius asked with a raised eyebrow as he stood in jeans, white t-shirt, and leather jacket. Muggle girls and witches alike had done double takes of Sirius through the entire station.

Remus looked slightly embarrassed. “Well, um . . .I’m Head boy . . .now . . .and I have to go tell the new prefects their duties and stuff . . .” Lupin trailed off and busied himself with helping James with his trunk.

“Oh, yes. That’s right...you’re Head boy,” Sirius sniggered.

James laughed out loud. Lowering his voice, he said, “You know, Moony, if Dumbledore knew half the stuff we got up to, he would never dream of making you Head boy.”

“Please, don’t remind me.”

“...Until next month,” James added, wickedly.

Lupin grimaced, but they couldn’t tell if that was due to what James has said or to helping Sirius lift his trunk onto the train. The three dragged the two trunks down the aisle to the compartment that Remus had saved for them, and stowed their trunks.

“I still can’t believe you’re Head boy,” said Sirius, shaking his head.

“Hmm, well. Peter’s here- flag him down, will you. And I’ll go help him with his trunk,” Remus said, clearly anxious for a change in subject. With a mischievous smile, he added, as he walked out the compartment, “James is Quidditch captain, you know?”

“Well, we all expected that out of the prat,” Sirius called after Remus. Then, “Ow .” James had punched him in the arm.


Fifteen minutes later the train had finally started moving, and the remaining Marauders (Remus was obviously busy with his Head boy duties) were comfortably situated in their compartment. Peter -short, round, and clumsy- was intently watching James and Sirius play a casual game of Wizard’s Chess when the sliding door opened. The three of them looked up to see who it was. James turned a pale shade of pink, and averted his gaze to the chess board. Lily Evans was standing in the doorway, already dressed in her black robes and new Head girl badge.

“Hello, Peter,” she greeted, “Sirius. Potter.” She had started graciously and had ended curtly. James Potter always seemed to have that effect on her, and he knew it well.

James opened his mouth to say something, but changed his mind, and said, “ Hello, Lily.”

“Evans,” Sirius nodded. He returned to the chess board.

Looking a little taken aback by James’ unusual, though cordial, greeting she inquired abruptly, “Have you seen Remus?”

“I think he’s already in the prefect’s car,” piped up Peter.

“So I’m the one that’s late then,” kidded Lily. No one laughed.

“Looks like,” Sirius responded instead. Then to James, “Checkmate.”

James let out a groan of frustration. He looked up after a few seconds and realized Lily was still standing there. He smiled in spite of himself. “All right, Evans?”

“Yeah,” she said vaguely, turned around, and walked up the aisle. Lily didn’t know why she had just stood there, looking like an idiot, and waiting. Waiting? Waiting for what, Lily? she scolded herself. She, then, comforted herself by blaming her moment of stupidity on the sheer shock of Potter not asking her out. He usually jumped at every opportunity.

Meanwhile, back in the compartment, Sirius was telling James that he had better hope that his future children inherit his Quidditch, and not his chess skills. James was hoping that his children took a less permanent liking to their future crushes than he did. Still, there was just something about Lily. Since James was feeling down and in need of an ego boost, he invited Peter to play Wizard’s Chess with him. Peter could never beat any of his friends at anything. He was reliable that way.


Just as Wormtail had suffered a spectacular defeat to Prongs, Moony was seen approaching the compartment with Lily. The two had always gotten along well with each other. Lily wasn’t shy the way Remus was, but they were both studious, kind, and unusually perceptive. With their matching personalities and red hair ( though Lily’s was many vivid shades redder and darker) they could’ve been brother and sister. Sister, is what Remus generally thought of Lily. He was, of course, aware of her beauty, though he appreciated it the way an older brother appreciates his pretty little sister.

Anyway, he was afraid of dating. What if the full moon suddenly appeared on a date? Moony couldn’t bear the thought of hurting anyone. And what about your friends?, his nagging conscience prodded.

Well, he justified, they became Animagi of their own accord. I didn’t ask them too.

But you didn’t stop them either, his conscience prodded again. For their becoming Animagi, Remus was eternally grateful. And eternally fearful.

Moony began to speed up his and Lily’s conversation in order to wrap it up quickly. It wasn’t that he didn’t enjoy talking to Lily, he just perceived that it made James uncomfortable. Moony strode into the compartment and seated himself next to James. He pulled a book from his pocket, opened it, and began to read.

“So, as Head boy, what kind of duties do you have?” Sirius asked, with a slightly sarcastic undertone.

“Well, I retain all of my prefect duties and such, but now I’m basically in charge of all the prefects. I assign their duties and patrols, etc, etc. I, of course, have my own patrols. Other than that, I basically make my self available to the teachers and staff, and set a good example for the other students,” Moony rattled off without even looking up from his book.

With raised eyebrows Sirius asked, “What are you reading, anyway?”

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

James snorted. “In here, of course,” he said, waving his arms around, before turning to Wormtail and saying, “Checkmate.” Wormtail had just lost again.