Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Nothing To Do With the Spell Within by moonlite90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Come on, we’re nearly there,” called Lupin, half a block ahead of everyone else.

They had all just taken a portkey from the Burrow to a very dreary looking street. It was dark and only a single street lamp was on. The dementors’ mist was surrounding the whole area making it difficult to see.

Harry had never seen Lupin this eager before. The day before they left the Burrow he kept wringing his hands and went very pink when someone asked him what the matter was.

Tonks prodded Harry in the small of his back, pushing him forward.

“Who’re we seeing?” asked Harry when Tonks came along side him. Her hair was shoulder-length and forest green, matching her eyes. Tonks frowned.

“She’s an old friend of Lupin’s that was what he told me. Not really sure she was really an ‘old friend’.” She looked up, staring in Lupin’s direction. “He’s been acting very strange, too, don’t you think?”

“Do you know what’s wrong,” he asked, looking forward as well.

Tonks shrugged. “I suppose he’s just overworked. Ever since Dumbledore died everyone turns to him for answers. That can’t be very comfortable, especially after what Greyback did to him…”

Harry shuddered slightly; he had seen what a werewolf’s anger could do to someone. Lupin spent six weeks in St. Mungo’s because of how fiercely Fenrir Greyback had clawed at his entire body after acquiring that Lupin was a part of the Order of the Phoenix.

“Hurry up you two,” said Ron and they quickened their pace.

The house was quite small compared to the mansions surrounding it; there was only one floor. The windows were covered in black curtains so that no sunlight could be let in. On the splintering door two black feathery wings were painted crudely, some of the enamel running down the cracked wood. Hermione was looking around nervously, obviously hoping this was not the place they were supposed to be. Harry felt quite the same way.

Lupin walked up to the door and knocked twice, everyone else standing several feet away. The door opened and the sound of a woman screaming met their ears. Harry couldn’t see what was in the doorway, but what ever it was had pushed Lupin back and wrapped its arms around his neck.

“Remus! What on earth are you doing here?” said the woman’s voice excitedly.

Tonks cleared her throat loudly. Lupin turned around, a dark silhouette standing behind him. He gestured for them all to come closer. Harry gasped softly when he saw their host.

She was magnificent, so beautiful, the sight of her made Harry’s eyes painful. Her hair was black with red streaks in it, pulled back in a high ponytail. Her eyes were powder blue and reflected her visitor’s astonished expressions. Considering the look of the house, they had all expected an ugly old woman or something else of that nature.

“Come in, come in. I just made some tea,” she said and turned into the house.

It was surprisingly well lit in her home taking into consideration the bleak setting outdoors. They followed her down a hallway with portraits of old witches and wizards, some of which called out to them.

“Dear lord! We have visitors!” cried a pale skinned wizard with blue hair. “I just might die of shock.”

An old woman with only one eye replied, “You’re already dead, Caesar. Watch out for the cat,” she added warningly to the guests, “the damn thing bit my fingers off!” she held up her left hand which only had a ring and little finger. Ron cringed and sped up.

Their host gestured for them to sit down at a long table in the kitchen as she lifted a kettle off the stove.

“I wasn’t expecting anyone, so I don’t have much food…” she said apologetically. “I do have a few biscuits, though. Milk?” she asked Harry, staring at him expectantly.

Harry’s mouth suddenly went dry and merely nodded.

“Monicola, you look just as beautiful as the first day I met you,” said Lupin, smiling up at her. She turned to get the biscuits to hide her now pink face.

“I’m sure I’ve changed a bit.”

Tonks looked rather livid; she gripped her cup so hard her knuckles were turning white and her lips were curled into a sneer.

“Won’t you introduce us, dear,” said Tonks, her tone uneven.

“Oh, right,” said Lupin, clearly forgetting he brought other people. “This is Tonks, my girlfriend, Ron, Hermione, and Harry.”

“Nice to meet you all,” said Monicola, inclining her head at each of them. “You’ll be James’ son then?”

Harry looked up. “Er, yeah, I am.”

Monicola smiled but didn’t linger on the subject. “So, Lupin, what brings you here?”

“I suppose you’ve been reading the Prophet lately?” said Lupin.

“I have,” Monicola muttered, now looking dismal. “I couldn’t believe what happened to…” Her voice broke. “I guess this has something to do with that?”

“Yes, we understand that Dumbledore had already had an idea for the next Defense professor.”

“He already knew?”

“Since the school seems to lose Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers after every year, I suppose he made plans for the next one.” Lupin smiled as he said this.

“Then why did he give Severus the job?” she asked savagely.

Lupin shrugged sadly. “He trusted him,” he said simply.

“Why’d you bring this group?” she asked curiously.

“Well,” Lupin began, shifting in his chair uncomfortably. “Tonks, she goes everywhere with me, I…enjoy her company.”

Tonks beamed at him.

“That’s very sweet, Lupin,” said Monicola coolly, “but I was talking about the other three.”

Lupin didn’t answer.

Harry knew exactly why Lupin had brought Ron, Hermione, and himself. Dumbledore had used him to encourage Horace Slughorn to take the post of Potions master; this was no different.

“Lupin, I have told Dumbledore this more than once. I will not teach!”

“But why not?” Lupin exclaimed.

“I heard about your…difficulties as a professor. How am I going to cope with them?”

Lupin shrugged. “The same way you used to.”

“I can’t threaten students or their parents for that matter; surely they’ll be my biggest problem!”

“How would your teaching be a problem?” asked Hermione.

Monicola glared skeptically at Lupin. “You didn’t tell them?” She turned to Hermione. “I’m a vampire.”

“You’re a what?” asked Ron exasperatedly.

Instead of repeating herself, Monicola opened her mouth wide and revealed very long, very sharp incisors.

Hermione breathed excitedly and mouthed the word “wow”.

Something furry brushed against Harry’s leg. He jumped and pushed himself back. A black cat with red, piercing eyes skulked from under the table looking bored.

“Sorry about that,” said Monicola hastily, hurrying over and picking the cat up. “Hades is extremely rude.”

“You named it Hades?” asked Tonks, incredulous.

“He has the attitude that would fit the god of the Underworld, so I thought that was best…You saw what he did to Madam Peephole.”

“I can’t believe you still have this thing,” said Lupin, putting his hand out to pet Hades. The cat scratched his palm and hissed at him.

“I decided to keep him to remind me of Sirius. I can’t rightly get rid of it, can I?” She was lost in nostalgia until Harry spoke.

“You knew Sirius?” he asked hurriedly. Monicola nodded, putting Hades down.

“We were very close,” she replied. For some reason the corners of her mouth twitched.

Lupin’s cheeks went very red.

“How so?” asked Harry urgently.

Monicola smiled, obviously eager to tell a story.

A/N: Dedicated to my friends Nida and Marissa and my Beta for being my best readers.
I made this fic PG-13 for later chapters and I think I'll keep the rating that way. I NEED reviews! I gotta know what you guys think and your suggestions!