Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Nothing To Do With the Spell Within by moonlite90

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sorry forgot to do this.
Disclaimer: J.K. Rowling is #1 and that's why her characters belong to her (or is that backwards?) She owns everyone but my OCs.


The wind was blowing gently through the open window of Monicola’s bedroom. Her soft breathing matched the pulsing breeze caressing her cheek as she lay under the blanket her grandmother had knitted for her. Outside the front gate creaked open and a figure glided toward the manor. It whispered to her and the draft lifted the sound through her window and into her ears. She woke suddenly, heart racing. A dreamy, mystical voice had just called for her.

Monicola rose out of her bed, night dress swaying at her ankles as she approached the window. She gasped when she saw a man holding an illuminated wand aloft, his features so capturing they took the breath right out of her. He whispered to her again and she obeyed. Creeping silently down the stone steps, she opened the front door and strode across the green grass to stand in front of her visitor.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” he said quietly in her ear. His lips brushed against her skin and a vibrating sensation spread throughout her body.

“Why do you want me?” asked Monicola.

The man smirked. “I want you to join us.” He bent down and kissed her, the gentle touch of his lips making her knees weak.

His caress slowly moved across her cheek to the base of her neck. Her head was light and she could not sense any other emotion other than the desire she had for this stranger.

Suddenly, something pierced Monicola’s skin and a trickle of blood rolled down her neck and into her nightdress. A liquid was seeping through her body, contaminating her blood with the poison that arrested her limbs, paralyzing her. She could not push him away…


Monicola was awoken from her stupor by a great jolt from the train. This didn’t irritate her though. She didn’t want to recall the rest of that memory.

She shifted in her seat, fingering the potion Albus Dumbledore sent her. He was the new Headmaster at Hogwarts and had been for some time. It had been so long since her last year at the school; she couldn’t remember who the Headmaster was then. She appreciated this man already. Not many people would take the time to create a Sun Protecting Potion for someone they didn’t know. The process was difficult and stressful, which was why Monicola never tried it herself.

A second return to Hogwarts; what would this be like? The night of her attack that changed her from human to vampire was the eve of her return to Hogwarts for her sixth year. She was unable to return after that. The threat of the sun and of curious eyes was enough to keep her secured in her house. Even after her parents and sister died and Muggle contractors came to destroy the home, Monicola stayed and defended the building.

All Monicola wanted now was to be left alone, but the horrible thought of her past kept creeping into her mind. Hawk Livingston, the reason for her pain and suffering, was haunting her everywhere she went. Unfortunately she was still in contact with him; there was no getting out of that. Hawk loved Monicola like a sister and sometimes a little more than that. Monicola recalled countless times when she let him seduce her into bed and then waking up angry. She supposed he liked his own work and checking up on it was his way of showing love.

Monicola looked out the window. The Hogwarts Express was rolling along a mountain side, the sun winking at her. She loved its warmth. Leaning her head against the glass, Monicola closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep again.

A moment later, something heavy shifted her seat. Monicola slowly opened her eyes and then screamed.

“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” she shrieked, pressing herself as far away from the intruder as possible.

“I thought I’d give you a visit.” Hawk inched toward her, putting a hand on her arm. Monicola withdrew it quickly; his fingers felt frozen.

Hawk’s yellow eyes stared longingly at her. Since their last meeting a few months prior, Hawk had changed. His hair was shorter but still blond with natural highlights. He was dressed in Muggle clothing, a simple pair of blue jeans and a white T-shirt. Even then he still looked gorgeous.

“How’re you in the sunlight? Why aren’t you burning?” Monicola’s heart was pounding. She could feel the thick blood rushing through her veins. She hated that feeling.

Hawk shrugged and answered, “I have my own supply of Sun Protecting Potion at home. Now,” he said, getting even closer, “why aren’t you glad to see me?”

“Am I ever?”

“No, but after a while, you get comfortable enough.” Hawk slid an icy finger down her arm, giving her goose bumps.

Monicola grabbed his hand. “Stop. Not here.”

“But why not?” he whined. “We have enough privacy.” He turned to the compartment door and closed the curtain. After returning to his seat, Hawk put his hand on her waist and pulled her closer.

“Why are you here?” Monicola asked quietly.

“Not for tea, I can tell you that much.” Hawk reached into his pocket and withdrew a small vial full of a thick red liquid. “Thirsty?”

Monicola’s eyes grew wide with fear. “Hawk, don’t even think about it. You know what blood does to me this early.”

“Exactly,” he whispered and then kissed her on the lips.

All in one motion Hawk was on top of her, the cork in the vial was off, and his wrist was tilted, threatening to drip the liquid in her mouth.

“Don’t!”

Suddenly the compartment door flew open. Hawk disappeared so fast Monicola didn’t realize he was gone until she found herself on the floor, a teenage boy standing over her.

He looked very strange to her. His long black hair hung in his face as he stared down at her in shock. Was this hair style in fashion now? Monicola had been locked up in her house too long to notice how much times had changed.

“You alright?” he asked, putting a hand out to help her up.

“I’m fine,” she replied, not taking his hand but lifting herself up on her own.

The boy stared at her, an unbelieving look in his eye. “I heard you scream…”

“Look, I fell off my seat while I was taking a nap. I didn’t mean to scream. I’ll be fine, okay?”

“Fine,” said the boy and turned to leave. “By the way, my name’s Sirius. Welcome to Hogwarts.”

***

Sirius Black returned to his compartment and shut the door gently.

“Where’d you go?” asked Remus, a boy with light brown hair several scratches on his face. “I thought you said you had to use the bathroom. You were gone quite some time.”

“I did use the bathroom,” Sirius mumbled, sitting down next to James who had very messing jet black hair and glasses. “I heard this scream so I went to investigate―”

“Padfoot to the rescue!” cried James, laughing heartily.

“I saw this girl,” he continued, ignoring his friend’s comment. “She was lying on the floor, like someone had pushed her. She was a bit rude; wouldn’t let me help her up and got all snotty when I asked her if she was okay.”

“P.M.S.,” murmured Peter, a pudgy blond. Everyone laughed at this.

“She was beautiful though…” said Sirius, smiling faintly.

“Oh here we go,” said Remus exasperatedly.

“What?”

“Every time you see a pretty girl you go after her and then you get bored after she likes you back. You’re a heartbreaker, mate.” James said this as if he had done this speech several times.

“I am not!” cried Sirius, a scandalized look on his face. “Name one time I’ve broken a girl’s heart, go on.”

“There was that time in the second year when Patty Mack asked you out,” replied Peter rather quickly.

“She had a weird name, you can’t really blame me for that, Wormtail,” mumbled Sirius.

“Erica Taken was distraught when you jilted her last year and then cried even harder when you went out with her sister,” said Remus.

“Her sister was prettier than her."

“They were identical twins!” Remus, James, and Peter all exclaimed together.

Sirius screwed up his face in defeat and decided to change the subject. “This girl, she’s different. I think I have a chance with her.”

“Good luck with that,” said James nonchalantly.

I’ll prove them wrong, thought Sirius. I can be the most compassionate person on Earth!.

***

After long talks with her teachers and several short ones with Dumbledore, Monicola started getting into the habit of going to Hogwarts again. It was a lot like the days when she went to the school; only the kids were different and the skirts the girls wore were a considerable amount shorter.

Monicola was placed back in her original House, Gryffindor. Two weeks into the term, she saw Sirius Black, the boy that had come to her rescue on the train, sitting alone in an armchair looking very tired in the Gryffindor common room.

“Are you alright?” she asked him, taking the seat across from him. Sirius immediately sat up straighter.

“I’m fine,” he said cheerfully. “I remember you from the train.”

“Yes, you came in while I was on the floor.” Monicola thought about this for a moment then said, “I’m sorry I was so rude to you. I wasn’t in a very good mood.”

“I can completely understand that,” said Sirius, thinking of every second he spent with his father.

They talked for almost two hours before Monicola looked at her watched and declared that Sirius talked too much. The conversation had been held mostly by Sirius, trying to impress her with heroic stories. He was conceited, arrogant, and quite obnoxious. She wanted to get away as fast as she could.

“Good night, Sirius,” she said and turned to go to the girls’ dormitory.

“Wait. Er…oh god I forgot your name!” cried Sirius, his face turning red with embarrassment.

“Call me Moni,” she said with a smile.

“Good night, Moni.”

That night Monicola did not sleep very well. Hawk kept turning up in her dreams, telling her to be careful. When she awoke the next morning, her head was swimming with the image of his face.

The rest of day went on well until History of Magic. Professor Binns, a very old wizard, kept a monotone voice throughout his entire class. Monicola always choose a seat as far away from him as she could get so she could fall asleep with out him seeing.

Unfortunately, she was unable to get this afternoon nap for Sirius Black continued to call her name.

“Moni. Moni.”

“What?” she hissed.

“Would you go out with me?”

“No,” she said flatly and pretended to listen to Professor Binns.

“Why not?”

James had to suppress a laugh when he heard this.

“I don’t want to.”

“Class dismissed,” Professor Binns said. Everyone started filing out. Monicola tried to get away from Sirius but he was very persistent.

“What about in the common room? I thought you liked me.”

She stopped very suddenly; several people had to swerve out of the way.

“Sirius,” she said loudly. “You are arrogant and conceited. Why the hell would I want to be your girlfriend?”

“Well, you’re not the most perfect person in the world, you know,” Sirius replied, slightly surprised by her reaction. “You can’t talk about anyone being arrogant!”

Monicola huffed loudly and stocked off. In her opinion, she had just rejected the greatest git in all existence.

“That went well,” James mumbled.

“Shut up!” Sirius spat. They started to walk toward the Great Hall. “Who does she think she is, calling me arrogant and conceited? Where does she get off calling me that?”

“Well, you are arrogant,” Lupin said, counting off on his fingers. “You are conceited, and, oh, she missed one! You’re also incredibly annoying. I don’t think she liked you disturbing her like that.”

Sirius glared at him. “Oh, so you think this is my fault?”

“Yeah, I do.”

Sirius stared after Monicola. It was quite clear that she hated him almost as much as Lily loathed James, but he would stay persistent. Padfoot would not give up.

A/N: Not my favorite chapter but it was needed to help with the plot. I was thinking about another fic, a humor fic. Maybe I'll submit it. This part is dedicated to my neice just because I love her so much.