Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The American Revolution by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Guilt hung over Melody for the next few days. It became so strong that she couldn’t even bear to look Harry in the eye, let alone Ron. Ron was right; she would be his ruin.

It wasn’t till one night that Harry mentioned it. Melody had once again not shown up at the box, and he was growing concerned. She sat in a chair by the fire when he returned from the grounds wet from rain.

“Where were you?” Harry asked coldly.

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Melody said gently looking down at the fire.

Harry pulled another armchair near the fire and sat. Melody fidgeted slightly in her chair.

“What’s wrong, Mel?” Harry asked.

“Nothing.”

“Don’t lie to me. There has to be something bothering you.”

Melody hesitated and then finally looked into his eyes. They were full of deep concern. His striking green eyes had gotten to her again, and she looked away to hide the tears.

“It’s all my fault,” she quietly choked out.

“What is?” Harry asked pulling his chair a little closer to Melody’s.

Melody wiped her face and turned to Harry.

“You wouldn’t have attacked Ron if I weren’t here,” she said quickly.

“Don’t listen to what he said, Mel. This is between him and me. There’s no reason for you to worry about it,” Harry said taking her hand.

Melody nodded to satisfy him, but she still didn’t look him in the eyes. Nothing he could say would make her feel better. She ached inside as memories of her first month at Hogwarts ran through her mind. That was before any of the drama, when Harry and Ron insisted on being big brothers to her. She smiled, remembering the first time she met them. It all seemed so far away.

***

Melody was again looking into the two-way mirror.

“Tonks,” Melody hissed into the glass, “Tonks, I really need to talk to you.”

A few moments passed until Tonks’ reflection appeared.

“What is it, Mel? I’m a little busy,” Tonks said very distracted.

"Why? What is it?” Melody heard herself asking.

“Don’t tell anyone, but there has been a sighting.”

“Death Eaters?” Melody asked.

Tonks sighed as her face fell. “No, worse.”

“You don’t mean … ” Melody faded off.

Frowning, Tonks replied, “Yes. I’m sorry, Mel. I really have to go. What is it that you needed?”

Melody sensed the urgency in her voice and decided it wasn’t the right time.

“It is nothing. Go,” Melody said genuinely.

Tonks hesitated, but then was gone. Melody placed the mirror back in her trunk and sat on her bed. Voldemort was back, and Harry was in danger. It was time to take matters into her own hands and help Harry the only way she could. Harry had to forget about her.

***

Moonlight draped into Melody’s dorm as she rose from her sleepless state. Tonight, she would again perform the anti-love spell on another … Harry. If he forgot about Melody, he could focus his energy on more important things.

Her hands shook as she picked up her wand. Putting her cloak on, she prepared herself for the pain. Letting Harry go was going to be the hardest thing she’d ever done.

She stood outside in front of Harry’s door. Her finger traced the outline of the handle as she forced herself to carry out the plan. It would only help in the end. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open and stepped into the unlit room.

The five beds held sleeping figures that moved gently in their slumber. Her eyes fell on Harry as he turned to lie on his back. Raising her wand above her head, she spun it around the room and everything was still. She sat on the edge of Harry’s bed and peered down at him.

Placing her hand in his, she used the other to twist a strand of his hair. Her hand fell on his scar and she was reminded of her intention.

“It’s for the best,” Melody said placing a hand on his cheek. “I’m sorry, Harry, but you would understand. I only want you safe.”

Melody gazed at Harry’s frozen form as she placed her second hand on Harry’s.

“You can’t even hear me, but when you wake up…I guess, it won’t matter … I love you, Harry.”

Tears ran down her face as she leaned down and kissed Harry on the cheek. After a moment, she pulled her wand from her cloak and pointed it at Harry’s chest. She cast the spell that would end the devotion and take him away.

The room blurred as she quickly unfroze it. She ran from the room in silence, but broke down outside the closed door. Falling to her knees, she buried her face in her hand. Harry was gone.

***

Melody wrapped her arms around herself as she crossed the grounds the next day. Lavender's chatter became mumblings while they neared the Quiddich pitch. Gryffindor played Slytherin, and Melody couldn’t convince Lavender of any reason she wouldn’t go. Her fingertips dug into her ribs as they got closer. She knew the time would come when she would see Harry again, but she didn’t expect it to happen so soon, or in such a sentimental place.

The teams flew onto the field as Melody diverted her eyes in all directions except the field. The students around her chanted as she pushed her hair behind her ear. When she looked up, Harry was flying past her.

It felt like she had gotten the wind knocked out of her. She struggled to breathe as tears formed deep in her eyes. Fighting them, she pulled her cloak closer around her. She didn’t watch anymore of the game and it was soon over.

After reaching the bottom of the stairs, she turned instead of walking straight to the castle. She caught herself walking to the box as she had many times before. This time she would just sit and watch Gryffindors congratulate Harry. He stuck out as he beamed with excitement.

The crowd cleared and the team disappeared into the locker room. She curled into a ball on the bench and sat there until she heard a noise on the stairway, of someone approaching.