Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The American Revolution by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chatter about the ball filled the halls throughout the month. Girls discussed their hairstyles and dates while the guys nervously sought theirs. Enthusiasm only increased as Dumbledore and the other professors decorated the Great Hall for the Halloween ball.

Melody dug in her trunk and found the three sets of dress robes she had eagerly packed. Knowing that Ron’s robes were a deep red, she chose to wear her ice blue robe so she would compliment his. Hermione was impressed by Melody’s small collection of robes. Melody caught Hermione eyeing the marigold ones and willingly offered them to her.

“By the way, who are you going with?” Melody asked as she folded and packed the burgundy robes.

Hermione blushed as she laid the marigold robes on her bed, “Well, Seamus asked me. I haven’t accepted yet.”

“Seamus, would be a good date. I’m sure you would have fun.”

“Yes, I suppose.”

While Melody packed up the things lying around her bed, her eye caught the Asteroid. She had planned on trying out for the house team, but she was taught to play Seeker, which was already filled. She had resolved to give it to Ron at the ball. No one knew but her.

***

The ball approached quickly and many girls scurried around to common room conversing over the same topics day after day. Melody found her solace sitting on the couch next to Ron and simply holding his hand. Everything for the ball was set. She had her robes pressed and she had memorized the incantation for shinier hair. Most importantly, she had buffed the Asteroid, so it would shine when she gave it to Ron.

The thought of his face when he received it warmed Melody inside, and she couldn’t help but smile.

“What are you so cheerful about?” Ron asked noticing her constant grin.

“Nothing. I’m just excited for the ball.”

“Oh, yeah, about that. Just so you know, I’m a terrible dancer.”

Melody laughed as she said, “That’s fine.”

Now that things were back to normal, she felt comfortable once again at Hogwarts. She had written Celeste telling her things were beginning to look up.

***

Finally, the day of the ball arrived. After three o’clock, you wouldn’t be able to find a girl if you tried. All of them were locked up in their dorms preparing for the evening. Melody spent most of this time cleaning the Asteroid yet again.

“Why are you cleaning that now?” Hermione asked as she was transforming her bushy mess of hair into smooth, wavy locks.

Melody smiled down at the broom, “No reason.”

At seven o’clock, Melody descended the stairs to the common room to find Ron searching through the mass of people leaving.

“What, did you think I would leave without you?” Melody asked as she took his arm.

Ron glanced down at her long enough to say, “No silly, I’m trying to see who Harry is taking to the ball. He refused to tell me all week,” before he resumed his search of the common room.

Melody giggled because she knew whom Harry had decided to invite. She had sworn she wouldn’t tell and she continued to keep her word. Finally, Ron shrugged and they were off.

The Great Hall was alight with thousands of jack-o-lanterns. The students took their seats for the feast that would procede the dance. All ate quickly so that the dancing could begin. When it was clear that everyone had finished, even Ron, who was taking his dear time, Dumbledore raised his arms and the tables vanished and smaller tables appeared outside an area set aside for the dance. The music began and certain courageous students and teachers took to the dance floor. Male students flocked to the remaining staff table to ask Fleur for a single dance. She declined many but accepted the particularly handsome ones -- which was very much Fleur's way.

The dances passed and with each Melody begged Ron to try. Once she finally got him to stand, it was nine o’clock. She had planned to give Ron the Asteroid at nine-thirty.

They danced through two very painful songs, as Ron repeatedly stepped on Melody’s toes, before Melody announced she forgot something in her dorm and hurried off the retrieve the broom.

In the entrance hall, she ran into Harry who was standing with a very pretty girl with long, black hair. He introduced her as Cho Chang, and Melody apologized for hurrying off. She resumed her path up to the dorm and got the broom. Excited to see his reaction, Melody nearly ran the entire way back to the ball.

When she again reached the entrance hall, she found Harry alone.

“Where did Cho go?” Melody asked exasperated.

“Well, they are doing a Flip-Flop dance. I guess the girls have to find a new partner to dance with,” he said as he noticed the Asteroid in her hand. “What is that for?”

“Well, I’m going to give it to Ron. I have no need for it, right?”

Harry’s jaw dropped as she told him. Melody just smiled and scurried off to the Great hall. What she saw made her turn around and run out the front door with tears in her eyes.

***

The moonlight danced over the lake as Melody sat under the willow. Timid sobs escaped her as she wrapped herself in a ball and cried into her knees. The Asteroid sat about five feet away, for she had kicked it out of anger. She sat there for many moments until she heard approaching footsteps.

The footsteps became louder as Melody rounded the tree to escape the stranger’s view. Within seconds she knew who it was, and wished she were anywhere but there.

“I know it’s you, Melody. Please talk to me. At least let me explain,” Ron said from the other side of the willow.

Rain began to fall gently on the lake as Melody rose to run for the castle. Ron caught her as she attempted escape.

“Let me go, you two-timing … ” Melody screamed, and he only held tighter.

“Calm down, Mel”

“Why should I? I think I have the right to be mad!”

“If you would let me explain!” Ron said, struggling to restrain Melody.

“Fine then! Explain why I saw you kissing Hermione. I can’t believe you. Why were you even dancing with her in the first place?” Melody sobbed, lessening her fight to break free.

“Well, they were doing that Flip-Flop dance thing and Luna was going to ask me, so I grabbed Hermione to make Luna think I was going to dance with her. Then, Luna wouldn’t leave so we ended up dancing. It was purely innocent,” Ron said loosening his grip on Melody.

“I don’t see how that turns into kissing, Ronald!”

“Let me finish first. Well, as we danced Hermione and I got to talking. She explained what she thought of me and one thing led to another. Before I knew it, she was kissing me,” Ron said letting go of Melody all together.

Melody’s vision blurred and she could no longer see Ron’s face, “Why didn’t you pull away, Ron?”

“I don’t know.”

“I’m sorry, Ron, but I can’t forgive you for this,” Melody said as she picked up the Asteroid, “I was going to give this to you tonight, and this is how you repay me? Forget it. We’re through.”

Melody ran off with the broom grasped in her hand. Anger swelled inside her, and she tensed as she passed people in the entrance hall. She was soaking from head to toe, and inside her, it was raining even harder.