Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Salem Witch Trials by FullofLife

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: The plot of this story and all characters except Harry, Ron, Hermione and Cotton Mather, belong to me. Harry, Ron, Hermione are all JK Rowling’s (sadly?) and Cotton Mather was a real person who lived in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692. The facts concerning the Salem Witchcraft Trials are all true.

February 1st, 1998


Prologue


The village of Hogsmeade was covered in a thick blanket of snow. Hogwarts students were spending one of their few days of freedom roaming around the village stocking up on pranks, sweets and bottles of Butterbeer. The surrounding shops were decked in various Christmas decorations: Holly, mistletoe and glittering stars covered windows and doors. Although Christmas had passed quite some time ago, no one felt like taking down the decorations, especially since the weather was still suggesting that winter was going no where.

Harry, Ron and Hermione were trudging through the packed snow, making their way to the Three Broomsticks. The second term of their seventh and last year in Hogwarts had begun and it was a taxing time, due to the approaching N.E.W.T examinations. The three friends wanted to take as much time to enjoy themselves as possible before the more strenuous studies began.

‘Hurry,’ moaned Ron, his teeth chattering in the icy wind. ‘I can already smell the Butterbeer.’

The weather was unbearably cold. Even though Harry had packed on his clothes and he was wearing a thick woolen cloak, the cold wind still cut through, chilling his insides. Harry could hardly wait to get to the cozy pub, where he could have a bottle of Butterbeer which was sure to warm him up. He, Hermione and Ron quickened their pace as much as possible, considering the three feet of snow that had fallen the previous night. Soon they reached the pub. Just before they could enter Harry caught sight of something glinting in the snow, something which reminded him of the Golden Quidditch Snitch.

‘Hey, what’s that?’ he said, pointing.

Hermione forced her way over to where Harry was pointing and plunged her arm into the snow. Shivering she pulled it out again holding a small copper colored piece of metal. She walked back to Harry and Ron and held out the item.

‘It some kind of medal, I think,’ she said.

Harry took the object into his gloved hands. It was heavy and circular. Its outer edges had strange engravings carved onto it. In the center of the amulet was a small button.

‘Look at this!’ said Harry. Hermione and Ron leaned closer.

‘It’s a button,’ said Ron, looking entranced. ‘What d’you think it does?’

Ron reached forward to touch it.

‘No!’ said Hermione, grabbing onto Ron’s arm but it was too late.

Harry felt his feet being swept off the ground and his stomach lurched as he felt himself speeding somewhere. He tried to let go of the amulet but his hand was stuck as if glued or frozen on. A feeling of vertigo came over him and he closed his eyes, wishing that he could stop. Somewhere nearby he heard Hermione gasp. Harry opened his eyes again and saw a whir of color whizzing by. Everything was going much to fast, as if he were on a roller coaster that had lost control. A feeling of nausea rose in Harry’s throat and he closed his eyes again, praying it to stop.

Then suddenly it did. Harry’s feet rammed onto solid ground with such force that he was sure something had broken. Thumps beside him told his Ron and Hermione had landed too. Harry was just about to open his eyes when something smashed into his head and he was enveloped in endless darkness.

**


A/N: Okay, this fic is rated PG-13 for some gory chapters coming later on. If I feel that there isn't too much gory-ness I'll change the rating. Feedback would be wonderful... tell me what your thinking!