Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Summer Dreams by Accio_Chocolate

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: JKR owns all of these wonderful characters, I'm just stopping by for a visit.




Marauders for Breakfast

Harry rolled over and looked at Ron, who was hugging his pillow fiercely. Harry was tempted to wake him up, but he heard Ron say something.

“Hermione, don’t go, we need to talk.”

Whatever Ron was about to say was lost when he abruptly snored, and rolled onto his back.

Harry grinned, thinking to himself, “It’s about time those two get some sense knocked into them. ” Harry had known that Hermione had feelings for Ron since fourth year. He often caught her secretively gazing at Ron from behind her books. Ron was just too dense to notice. Now that Harry had heard Ron’s dream, he was convinced that his two friends just needed a push in the right direction. It would be a wonderful birthday present to himself to get them together. He was going to need reinforcements though. Ginny would be the perfect person to help him. Harry felt the flutter in his stomach again when he thought of Ginny. He wondered what Sirius would say about that. Probably something like Harry needed to live life, and to take a chance on love. The problem was that Harry didn’t know if Ginny liked him as more than a brother. He knew she had a crush on him her first year, but last year she had several boyfriends. Didn’t that mean she was over him? Plus, she was still going out with Dean Thomas. Harry needed someone to talk to, and he didn’t think Ron was the person to ask about dating his baby sister. “I’ll ask Hermione. She’s a girl, and she should be able to help me.” Harry pushed this thought to the back of his mind, and tried to get back to sleep. Ginny kept popping into his head, as did the thought of spending his birthday with friends, so Harry got up quietly. He wandered down to the kitchen, and was surprised to see someone sitting at the table. He slowly walked forward, and saw that there were actually two people at the table.

“Happy birthday Harry. I was wondering when you would get up.” Remus Lupin smiled fondly at Harry. He looked shabbier than usual.

The other person at the table had stood up when Remus began talking to Harry. He found himself in a tight hug.

“Happy birthday Harry!” Ginny beamed at him.

“Thank you!” Harry felt a wave of happiness wash over him as Ginny hugged him. He hadn’t felt like this since Cho kissed him last December. However, the happiness he felt from receiving just a hug from Ginny was at least ten times stronger than the first time he’d kissed Cho.

“Ginny told me your Aunt Petunia is staying here. I take it she will be at the meeting?”

“Yes, but how did you know about it Professor?” asked Harry.

“Please, call me Remus. I know about it because the Order organized it. Also, Professor Dumbledore has asked me to speak.”

“What about the parents who didn’t want you teaching? Aren’t they going to be mad that you’re advising them on safety?”

“Well Harry, most of the complaints we got were from Wizarding families. Most Muggles don’t know the difference, and those who do are more afraid of Voldemort than a werewolf. Besides, the full moon isn’t for another two weeks. I am curious to what your aunt’s reaction will be. Lily mentioned she wasn’t very open-minded.”

“Why don’t we keep that bit of information to ourselves for right now.” Harry proceeded to fill Remus in on what had happened yesterday.

Remus sighed, “Harry, your parents were very upset when your aunt cut them out of her life. Lily knew Petunia was jealous of her abilities, but was determined to make her change her mind. She thought the news of your birth would help, but it only seemed to make things worse. After that, your mum stopped trying as hard, but she never gave up. I’m sure you want to blame most of this on your aunt and uncle, but adults don’t always act their age. Your father once threatened to hex Vernon for being a prat, and your mother was not too pleased with the idea.”

Harry smiled to himself; he knew exactly how his dad felt. “I’m glad you’re here. Listen, there’s something I want to talk to you about, but it will have to wait until later.”

“Did you want me to leave Harry? I need to get ready anyway.” Ginny’s tone indicated she would gladly stay, but she smiled as she looked up at Harry.

“You don’t mind Ginny, do you?” asked Harry, knowing if he were to offer, she would gladly stay. He wasn’t ready to talk to anyone but Remus about this yet.

“Well, I suppose I could go wrap your present.” Ginny teased as she walked from the room, brushing her hand across his shoulders as she went.

Harry blushed at the touch. He realized he could ask Remus about Ginny; but he would wait until they were done discussing a more important matter. “So, umm, if everything works out, do you think you would like to live in Sirius’ house with me? I mean, I won’t be there during the school year, but I don’t want it sitting empty.”

Remus smiled broadly. “That would make me very happy Harry. We will need to clean it up a bit more, but with Kreacher out of the way, it will be easier.”

“What do you mean, out of the way? What happened to him?” Harry asked.

“He’s dead. He died about two weeks after Sirius. There was a bond between them, even if neither would admit it. Kreacher was weakened by his master’s death, and rarely moved from in front of Sirius’ mother’s portrait. He was bitten by a doxie that was hiding in the drapes, and didn’t make it to through the night.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. He was still furious with Kreacher for lying to him about Sirius. He would still have a godfather if it weren’t for the backstabbing house elf. It wouldn’t be right to say that aloud though. Harry was glad Hermione wasn’t down here, or she would have chastised him for his thoughts.

“It’s ok not to be sorry. I feel as betrayed by his actions as you do. I’m the only Marauder left now. It is like I’ve lost him all over again. It was hard believing he had betrayed your parents for thirteen years. I cut him out of my life. But to get him back just to lose him again has been tremendously difficult.” Lupin’s face fell into an expression of remorse.

“Remus, it’s really hard to talk to anyone about him. I know other people feel the loss, but I think it has affected the two of us more than anyone. You don’t mind talking about him with me, do you?”

“As your friend and fellow mourner, there is nothing I would like better.” Remus patted Harry on the shoulder, and took a sip of his coffee. “Ugh. It’s gone cold. Caldos!” He took a sip. “Much better.”

Harry thought for a minute. The Weasleys would soon be making their way downstairs for breakfast so if he was going to bring up Ginny, he better get on with it. “Erm, Remus, do you think I could ask you a different sort of question? Howdoyoutellifagirllikesyou?” Harry blurted.

Remus smiled, “You want to know if Ginny likes you, don’t you?”

“How did you know it was Ginny?” Harry asked suspiciously.

“Let’s just say you’re just like James when he first realized he fancied Lily. It’s quite uncanny actually.”

“I’m like my dad when it comes to girls? But he knew what he was doing! I have no idea if Ginny likes me. She had a crush on me when she was eleven, but I don’t know if she still does. She went out with Michael Corner last year, and now she’s going out with Dean Thomas.”

Lupin raised his eyebrows, “Harry, you’ll never know unless you take a chance. And I wouldn’t worry too much about Dean. He’s dating Padma Patil now. They were at Fortescue's sharing an ice cream, and said hello to me. Dean wanted to know if I was coming back to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. I wish I could, but I can’t. I will try to make it to a few classes to help the new professor though.”

Any chances of continuing their conversation was dashed by the appearance of Mrs. Weasley coming down the stairs. Harry stole a quick look at Remus, hoping she hadn’t overheard any of their comments. He relaxed when she pulled him into a hug.

“Happy birthday Harry dear. Sixteen already. I can remember sending you off on Platform 9 ¾ for the first time like it was yesterday. You’ve grown up so much. What would you like for breakfast?”

“Bacon, eggs, and toast please.”

“Did you want anything Remus?” asked Molly.

“Coffee will be fine for now. Ahh, look, here’s the Daily Prophet owl now.” Fishing the change out of his pocket, Lupin paid the owl, and opened the paper, scanning it anxiously.

Harry and Molly crowded behind him to read over his shoulders. There! Right in the middle of the front page, was the headline, “Peter Pettigrew Captured!” Remus began to read the article aloud.

“Ministry officials captured the presumed dead Peter Pettigrew last night in Little Hangleton, the town where You-Know-Who was born. Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt brought Pettigrew into custody. It seems that Pettigrew faked his own death some fifteen years ago to lay blame on Sirius Black, who has been cleared of all charges relating to the matter. Unfortunately, the late Mr. Black was involved in the battle earlier this summer at the Ministry of Magic, and was killed by Bellatrix Lestrange. Upon his capture, Pettigrew revealed that he was an unregistered Animagus, and was able to turn himself into a rat. Quick reflexes on the part of Auror Shacklebolt resulted in the capture of the man who betrayed the parents of the Boy-Who-Lived. Pettigrew is believed to be in You-Know-Who’s inner circle, meaning this is a great victory in the impending war.” Remus trailed off, a look of sheer delight on his countenance. “Do you know what this means? Sirius has been cleared! Of all charges! And that scum is going to get what he deserves!”

Harry was happier than he had been all summer. His godfather was now an innocent man in the eyes of the public. “This is the best birthday present ever!”

Mrs. Weasley was smiling broadly. “Well, it looks as if it will be an even bigger celebration tonight. Good morning Arthur! Have you heard the news? Sirius has been cleared!” Molly asked her husband as he ambled into the kitchen from outside.

“Yes, yes, I knew last night. I was there when they brought that rat in. That’s why I was just getting home now. Everyone at work is in an uproar. This is quite a big piece of news.” Arthur Weasley smiled at Harry, “Happy birthday son. Have you had breakfast yet?”

“No sir, not yet. I’m a bit to astounded to eat. I mean, Sirius has been cleared. I just wish this had happened before he died. It would have been so much better. He would have been able to live a normal life. Instead he was trapped in his house. But now that bastard is going to pay for what he did.” Harry looked up, hearing a noise on the staircase.

The rest of the Weasley family had been listening, along with Hermione, trying to determine if they should come into the kitchen. The decision was made by Ron, who tripped and sent everyone falling down the stairs. He landed in a heap on top of Hermione, and turned scarlet. Hermione seemed a bit shocked as well.

“Are you going to take that lying down Hermione?” George asked.

“Or are you going to tell that clumsy git to stand up and help you up?” added Fred.

“Sorry Hermione.” Ron stood, and offered her a hand, blushing furiously, “Didn’t mean to fall on top of you like that.”

“It’s all right. But are you okay Harry?” she asked.

“Yeah, but I should tell my aunt too, so she knows what is going on.”

Aunt Petunia cleared her throat. She had came down the stairs after Ron’s tumble. She had picked up the discarded newspaper, and was looking at Harry intently, “They’ve cleared your godfather of all charges? And this Pettigrew was the one who betrayed my sister?”

Harry nodded, and crossed the room to his Aunt Petunia’s side. He was unsure if he should pat her on the shoulder, or if he should do anything at all. She solved his dilemma when she leaned into him with a long sigh.

Mr. Weasley looked around the room, “Perhaps breakfast would be in order. Dumbledore will be here later this afternoon, and will be staying for dinner. He will have some more information hopefully.”

At his words, Molly hurried to the stove, and began preparing breakfast. She gave the task of setting the table to Petunia, who seemed anxious to keep her hands busy.

Harry kept repeating the thought, “Sirius is innocent. He’s clear of all charges.” in his head.


A/N: I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please review, as I will post chapter four quicker!