Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Summer Dreams by Accio_Chocolate

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Missing




Remus took the letter from Harry and quickly read it.

Dear Harry,

I am sorry to have left without saying goodbye. This evening has given me a lot to think about. I will be returning home, as I do not think your friends want me here. Please come back before you leave for school. We could talk about your mum, if you like. Some things shouldn’t be buried in the past. You know where to find me.

Love,

Aunt Petunia


Raking a hand through his hair, he cursed, “Son of a bludger! This isn’t good. When did you find this Harry?”

“Just now when I went back to my room. I came straight here. Why do you reckon she left?” Harry questioned.

“I’m not sure Harry. We need to let Dumbledore know immediately.” Remus drew his wand and sent a jet of silver light past Harry, “When did you last see her?”

“Er…” Harry thought for a moment, “Right after the meeting. I went to talk to Dumbledore; we headed straight down to the bar from there. Wait a minute! She didn’t come down to celebrate with the rest of the women. Maybe Mrs. Weasley talked to her before she left.”

“Let’s go check. Which room were they in again?” Remus started walking down the hall towards the stairs.

“Fourth floor, first door on the right.” Harry had to jog to keep up. After climbing a flight of stairs, he tripped as Remus stopped sharply in front of the Weasley’s door.

Remus knocked sharply on the door. “Arthur, Molly, its Remus. Harry has something to show you.”

The door opened a crack, and Arthur peered out, holding his wand in front of him. His face relaxed and he ushered Harry and Remus into the room. “What did you need to show us Harry?”

Remus handed Arthur the letter. Molly peered over his shoulder, reading quickly with a worried expression on her face.

“She left? Have you checked her room? What about the common room?” Molly wrung her hands fretfully.

“No, I haven’t checked, I went straight to Remus’ room when I read the letter,” Harry admitted. “Do you think she might still be here?”

Dumbledore appeared with a crack, and surveyed the room, the twinkle gone from his eyes. “No Harry, your aunt has left the Leaky Cauldron. Tom helped her call a Muggle cab to drive her home. Arabella will let me know once she arrives. The question I want answered is why she left in such a hurry, when she was just starting to relax and accept you, Harry.”

Molly cleared her throat, “Harry, I think I know why she left. I- I mean we, the girls, Ginny, Hermione, Tonks, McGonagall and I- confronted her about the way she treats you, and I think I may have gone too far.“

Raising his eyebrows, Dumbledore shot a questioning look at Molly,

“You see, I just can’t stand the way Petunia treated Harry. I had to say something to her! I know she is attempting to change, but the damage has been done. If Mafalda had been left on my doorstep, she would have been raised as my own child, not as an outcast!” Molly began to cry, adding, “A mother looks after her own, even if she didn’t give birth to them!”

Everyone wore a shocked expression in the aftermath of Molly’s confession. Dumbledore was the first to react, “Well, we can guess that Petunia left because you confronted her, but until she is located, she isn’t safe. There is danger lurking, and after tonight’s meeting, I am sure certain parties are disgruntled. Remus, why don’t you take Harry back to his room, and meet us back here?”

Harry found his voice, “No, I’m not going back to my room. She is my aunt, and I need to know she’s safe.”

“Very well Harry. I understand you want to be treated as an adult, but you must remember that you are not of age yet, so you will need some patience.” Dumbledore replied with a nod.

“All right Professor. Thank you for letting me stay.” Harry sank down into an armchair. Everyone followed suit, except for Molly, who paced nervously.

Dumbledore studied the note for a minute in quiet contemplation. Remus, Harry and Mr. Weasley sat staring at him waiting for his conclusion.

Finally he looked up and began to voice his thoughts, “It seems that Petunia left of her own free will because she was under great duress. I believe this because the letter was written with a Muggle pen and paper. Now, a clever Wizard could have thought about that, but why would she have written that she would talk to Harry about Lily? I believe this is a genuine letter, and it will only be a matter of time before Arabella sends news. We will need to find a way to keep Petunia out of harms way, without tipping her off. I believe I know the witch for the job, but it will take some persuasion.” He fell into silence again as the room began to digest his conclusions.

The silence was broken at the sound of someone tapping on the door and turning the handle. Everyone turned as the door swung open to admit Ginny in her nightgown and dressing robe.

Dumbledore smiled, “Ah, Miss Weasley. Perfect timing, as I have a favor to ask of you.”

Ginny blinked in surprise at seeing her parents’ room filled with Order members at such a late hour. Squaring her shoulders, she looked Dumbledore in the eye, “Yes Professor?”

Dumbledore chuckled, “Yes, the Gryffindor bravery. Do you mind taking Harry back to his room and having a cup of hot cocoa with him?”

Harry began protesting, “But sir, you said I could stay!”

“Harry, I believe that we have finished our discussion of your aunt. Right now I need to talk to Remus about securing your aunt’s safety. I will stop by your room before I leave with any news. Please accompany Miss Weasley back to your room. I would also advise against trying to eavesdrop, magically or otherwise.” Dumbledore conjured a tea tray and handed it to Ginny, complete with two steaming mugs of cocoa and a plate of chocolate biscuits, before ushering the teenagers out the door.

As the door shut behind them, Harry clenched his fists in frustration. He was sick of the hypocrisy. One moment the adults treated him as equal- seeking information and honoring him for the responsibilities he’d taken on at such a young age; and the next sending him off like an infant.

“Harry, lets go back to your room, and you can tell me who is bothering you more, your aunt or Dumbledore.” Ginny smiled faintly before walking downstairs towards Harry’s room.

Harry couldn’t help but smile at Ginny’s comment. She knew what Dumbledore had been talking about, and yet she still wanted to be there for him. He turned and followed her down the hall intoxicated by the scent of the steaming chocolate and Ginny’s shampoo, intent on asking her what had actually transpired between the women.




Dumbledore listened intently at the door for a moment before speaking, “It seems as though the Order has work to do. Have Fred and George finished their mission?”

Straightening his shoulders, Arthur replied, “They expect to make a full report at the next meeting. You should see what those boys can do, especially since they got some Muggle portable cramcorders. They even promised to let me-“

A patronus in the shape on a panda had shot into the room, straight to Dumbledore. Distracted for a moment, Arthur paused.

“It seems that Petunia has not gone back to Privet Drive.”




Petunia sipped a cup of tea, relaxing visibly as an attractive blonde woman entered the room, followed by an Australian shepherd carrying a sock. “Thank you for letting me stay here. I just couldn’t spend the night alone, not after what happened.”

The woman put a fingertip on a figurine of a dancing panda before smiling encouragingly, “Petunia dear, you are always welcome in my home.”




A/N: I know, evil cliffy! But I decided that my readers needed an update on this story, even if it was a short chapter, which is for my beta Amanda, AKA Pandafan81, by the way.

B/N: Thank you so much for the lovely compliment! A panda patronus! How wonderful! And it only seem fitting that the dog carrying the sock should be an Australian Shepherd, since we both have one and both have the same affliction!