Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please have the lovely Ravensgryff moderate. In this chapter Harry has something to say and the staff is finally complete.
Chapter Ten
And so it goes…

Classes had been rather heinous on their first day back. Each teacher took plenty of time to remind the seventh year students that it was the N.E.W.T. year and they “had to work extra hard.” Ron would have groaned but remembered that he would at least have the practical Auror training to break up the work.

Flitwick began his class with a review and informed them that he was hoping to see non-verbal mastery of most nonverbal-basic charms, and that he hoped to see them move on to more complex charms quickly. McGonagall had said something similar on behalf of the new teacher. It was quite odd, but she was being rather tight lipped about who the new professor was.

Though there was an existing peace between him and his brothers, Percy looked slightly intimidated when Ron entered his classroom for the first time. Ron looked him straight in the eye and sat at the very front of the class.

“Well, class, I know a good many of you, some of you quite well. Because of this, I would like you all to call me Percy. Now, Headmistress McGonagall does not favor this particular request mine, so if you choose to call me Percy, please do so within our class. As for defense, there are a lot of things that we need to cover. There is the magical aspect to it, and we will be very thorough in our lessons concerning spells and techniques that can help you fend off an attack. However, with the threat of Voldemort and the looming attacks, I want you to feel comfortable to talk in this class. There may be times when a classmate, friend, or even me, may have a hard time dealing with the effects of war. For example, losses are a large part of war. As you may already know, my father was killed over the summer in an attack on Diagon Alley. My youngest brother was attacked as well,” his eyes shone proudly over Ron for a brief moment. “Last year my eldest brother was attacked, and I can’t count how many times a good family friend has been in danger with the Death Eaters.”

Percy let the class relax and smile at his words. He knew that he would be able to keep their attention with homework and tests, but he needed them to trust him. Harry raised an eyebrow at Hermione and Ron, as they listened to his opening speech. He knew that they were thinking about all the times that Ron complained about how much Percy liked to listen to his own voice, but the were suddenly quite grateful for his practice.

The class eventually began discussing various attacks that they had heard about, read about, or been in. They all learned about someone that had been lost by each member of the class. This war was devastating and deadly, yet it was bringing this group closer together. As the last minutes of class ticked away, Percy assigned everyone to begin a journal to help them deal with the threat of danger in their world and told them to review as many defensive spells as they could, for the next lesson would be a practical lesson. Though Ron could not voice his opinion, it was plainly evident that he felt the lesson was quite good.

Hermione was beside herself when Slughorn assigned a two foot essay due Wednesday on a review of a potion they had discussed last term. Though Ron and Harry rolled their eyes, they knew her brilliance would save them at some point this year. Of course, she had the essay finished before dinner and was currently in the library. She had chosen to skive off dinner in order to read up on basic healing and first aid spells. Harry suspected that Ron would have to drag her out of the library to do their final rounds tonight. He let himself ponder as Ron scribbled a new line to the note they had been passing between them during dinner.

“Harry, the twins have a new product the want to test on me. Its called “Said-Head.” Basically a cartoon text bubble appears above your head and it prints what you are wishing to say. It is supposed to be funny and get people to admit things that they wouldn’t normally say. I guess it could be quite dangerous, but they said this is one of those few products they are not distributing to the public. Said they made it just for me.

Ron, that’s great that you won’t have to mime everything you want to say now. I would stay away from Hermione though, if you have taken it though.

Funny Harry.

Handsome too.

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted as Neville approached and sat down heavily next to Ron and Seamus.

“Harry, this was on the floor in the dormitory, you must have dropped it.” Neville said simply as he passed Harry his forgotten letter.

“Thanks, Neville, I must have,” Harry answered back as he opened the note. He vaguely noticed that Ron had returned to feeding himself Harry he tried to make out an unfamiliar scrawl.

Harry,
Mum mentioned that she was sending you something for your birthday, and told me to write a note sending my regards. I don’t know if Mum mentioned it, but Hagar dumped me flat. Mum and Dad had a huge row as well, and I was right pissy because Dad took it out on me, since you’re at that “freak” school. Well, I got mad and took it out on her and she just screamed bloody murder at me. I’m apparently a damn fool to not appreciate family, a cousin I could love as a brother, and some other nonsense. She also mentioned that Hermione was a pleasure and that if I had any sense, which she sincerely doubted, I would “heal the breech” between us because my father was a damned fool for not appreciating what he has and I’m bound to turn out like him.

I know that you and I haven’t gotten this whole “family” thing down yet, but considering the hell I put you through the past few years, I thought you would like to know that a mere waif of a blonde has securely put me in my place. Hope you had a good birthday. Write if you can, better yet, find a way where Dad won’t find out about your owl coming and going.

Dudley.

Harry silently thanked Hagar for defending him as he headed back to the Common Room, but also wondering why she would bother, as they had never met, prior to a short encounter over the summer. After he had retrieved his bag from his dorm, and he sat in his favorite chair by the fire. He penned a quick return to Dudley’s letter, sending out sympathies and informing him of his plight with Ginny, and then went to work on his Potions essay.

Harry didn’t pay much attention to the bustling Common Room as the night waned. At some point he must have dozed off, because around midnight, Ginny and Colin woke him up. Colin helped him collect his books while Ginny just glided up the stairs to her dormitory.

“She’s gorgeous, huh Harry?”

“Yeah, Colin, she’s a dream. So, you and her?” Harry regretfully asked.

“At the moment, just really good friends. If that were to change though, would it bother you? I know you and her had a thing last year.”

“No, Colin, if you can make her happy, I won’t hold it against you.” Harry whispered with a very heavy heart.

Colin just smirked, an odd little smile and said, “Goodnight!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione had not stopped since Tuesday morning with Susan. They were seen everywhere together. Harry and Ron had to ask Madame Pomfrey to levitate the girls out of the hospital wing so that they would eat at least once a day. Hermione wasn’t talking to Ron because of this, but that didn’t matter. Harry could not help but notice the violent change that had taken place between Ron and Hermione. He thought back to those tender moments that were lost over the summer. He remembered watching them sleep at Kingsley’s house. They were so innocent at showing their affection toward one another, so blinded by sheer stupidity, now they were hardly recognizable. Ron would carry her books for her; she would straighten his tie. They both saw the change in themselves but absolutely refused to acknowledge it to each other.

It was nice to see Hermione spending time with someone other than Harry and Ron. Ginny was so closed off lately, not only to him, that it was refreshing to see Hermione laughing with Susan. A few times, Harry and Ron brought sandwiches up to the girls as they worked on their spells and healing charms. Harry would sit and joke with Susan while Hermione pecked at Ron or Ron would tease Hermione. It was sweet and normal and also something he knew that he could enjoy without Voldemort using it against him. Harry was lost in his friends, even if it was only for a few moments a day.

Thursday had been unique to say the least. Kingsley and Dora showed up as the official representatives of the Auror Department. They both talked about themselves and told the students to call them by their first names. Dora put them through a very difficult work out to assess their physical capabilities. Harry could never remember doing so many push-ups, sit-ups, or laps. While they ran, Kingsley made a few notes in a tablet and told them that they should do their own daily calisthenics; if they showed physical aptitude then they would spend more time working on magical defense strategies. Ron looked somewhat worried about how he would defend himself, considering he could not speak, but was informed by Kingsley that they had been talking with St. Mungo’s and Professor Flitwick. Apparently, St. Mungo’s felt that Ron could eventually regain his voice back through various potions, many of which he was already taking. It would be months before they knew, but to err on the side of caution, Professor Flitwick had agreed to tutor Ron on the mastery of non-verbal magic, so that he would not fall behind his fellow Auror candidates. Harry was helping Dora pick up various weights as their session ended and he listened to Kingsley give Ron the run down on his special case.

“Ron, I have seen you in action. I can honestly say that with all that you have already done and what I know you are capable of, the Ministry will not turn you down as an Auror next year, if you can prove that your disability will not affect your ability to defend yourself or others. Keep up with your studies and we’ll see you next week.” Kingsley then gave Ron a hearty pat on the back and ushered the boys out of the Room of Requirement.

Harry could see how nervous Ron had been and how he now walked a little taller. Kingsley had paid Ron a huge compliment and Harry knew Ron would not forget it. He also rather hoped he could get such high praise from Kingsley.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry dreaded the new day as he crawled out of his four-poster bed. Today he was beginning his lessons with Ginny. He didn’t want to continue his Occlumency training but knew that Dumbledore would have pushed him to do it. Harry realized he needed it but was not looking forward to the migraines and the invasion of privacy. As classes flew by, Harry silently wondered why the things you dread seem to be upon you quickly and the things you yearn for take lifetimes to arrive. Before he realized it, the week had gone and he was waiting for Ginny outside the Founders’ Suite.

He gazed at the picture. The old Irish castle seemed to be haunted, but then it probably was. Harry stared intently at the painting and never even heard Ginny come up behind him.

“Some danger to the Dark Lord you are. I stomped the whole way up here, and you didn’t even blink. What’s wrong with you?” Ginny hissed.

“What, oh, nothing, I’m just not looking forward to this particular lesson.” He sighed, “Did McGonagall tell you what the password is?”

“No, I thought you knew,” Ginny bit back.

Harry wasn’t sure why she was being so cold to him, but then again, it was Ginny.

“There is a song, it goes…When Irish Eyes are Smiling,” sang a misty voice from behind them.

Harry let his jaw hang as he stared into the deep eyes of Mr. Ollivander. Ginny rolled her eyes at Harry and pushed past him into the large opening the painting made.

Harry heard Ginny’s breath catch as she stepped into the magnificent room. Mr. Ollivander followed her, and the painting snapped shut behind Harry as he stepped through. Harry was mesmerized. On either side of the painting was a huge torch; together they lit the room completely.

To his right, he saw two huge full body portraits. The first was a man; he had dark features and a sinister brow. His eyes danced playfully though a black asp climbed up his boots and emerald green trousers. Next to him was a stunning woman with beautiful hazel eyes. Her hair was a reddish brown and it hung perfectly about her shoulders. She wore an ancient gown; it was a beautiful honey color that brought vivacity to her cheeks.

To their opposite and Harry’s left were another two portraits. The first was a woman with a silver halo about her dark head. She wore a navy gown that plunged at the neckline. She had icy features and pale lips, which were only accented by her raven hair. Next to her was a man with a lion resting at his feet. This man was dressed similar to the other man; only this one wore a golden cape around his shoulders.

Harry tore his eyes away from the paintings to rush to the sole window in the room. Ginny was already gazing outside of it. The wind beat against the castle at their height. Harry could see Ginny soaking up their vantage point and he drank in the view of Hogsmeade, the grounds, and the forest. They were lost in the view until Mr. Ollivander softly brought them back into their space and began his lesson.

“From what Albus told me, they do not move or speak to the visitors of this room unless they feel very comfortable doing so. They are the founders, but I wouldn’t expect any real conversation.” Mr. Ollivander stated nostalgically as he gestured to the portraits.

“Ginny and Harry,” he continued, “first let us begin our lesson with a few breathing techniques.” Mr. Ollivander began and conjured several large pillows out of thin air.

Ginny and Harry sank into the pillows as they meditated and lost themselves in Mr. Ollivander’s voice. As they drifted in and out of consciousness, they heard simple instructions guiding them to find a safe, secure place. Each time he whispered something, the students would become more relaxed and much more attentive to his voice. It was remarkable the way they could focus on his voice and yet be so physically at ease.

“Well, children, it has been nearly three hours. You need to continue this as often as you can. I am aware that you have Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday evenings off outside of our lesson. I expect you to continue on our lessons on those nights so be sure to get your other school work finished quickly. I can only manage to come on Saturdays so please be responsible. I want you to continue the breathing techniques and for homework. I want you to begin to envision a symbol of strength you have. It can be a person, animal, Hogwarts, anything, but focus on that so that you will learn to train your mind to focus without the sound of my voice. Good work today.” Mr. Ollivander spoke as if he was chatting about the weather; he gave a short bow and glided out of the room without another word to them.

“Well, this is great,” Harry said sardonically.

“Not my dream either, but at least its something to get rid of my nightmares.” Ginny snapped back.

Harry instantly regretted his cold tone and tried to make amends.

“I’m sorry, I just have some other things I need to take care of and didn’t expect the need to devote that much time to Occlumency.”

“Well, I’m sorry but your stuck with me.”

“That’s not what I meant, Ginny, besides what do you care? You’ve been a bloody ice-princess to me for weeks now! You don’t give a damn about what I do anymore do you? You bloody hate me remember? Why don’t you run off and see what Colon is up to?” Harry had tried being patient; he tried being sympathetic; now he was just fed up.

And when he thought he had finally done everything he could do to push her away, he realized he just wanted her more. Ginny watched a fire burn through Harry’s eyes as he screamed his peace at her. There was one moment, when he was done, that they stood in silence. He reached for her, for only a second before she bit her lip and ran.


PLEASE REVIEW! THANK YOU FOR READING!