Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please Reviews, they make me so happy I update faster!!!
Chapter Eleven
Round and round and round we go; where we stop nobody knows…

Harry had not let himself talk to or be in the general vicinity of Ginny Weasley for two whole hours since he bellowed his entire frustration out at her in the Founders’ Suite. For his part he thought he was doing pretty well, considering he now was mentally thrashing himself. How could he attack her the way he had? Her father just died and he was the one who told her how Lucius Malfoy cut down the man she adored above all her brothers. Apparently, it is difficult not to shoot the messenger sometimes. He let himself slowly wander the castle on his free day, deliberately avoiding those places he knew she would be. He was just coming down from the Owlery when he ran straight into something especially solid.

Having walked into Hagrid many times, Harry knew to stand up and say ‘hello’, but his bad mood and the cranial imprint of Hagrid’s belt buckle were enough to make him snap.

“Dammit!” he swore, without bothering to censor himself.

Had he anticipated some sort of reprimand for his profanity, he would have been sorely disappointed when Hagrid lifted Harry to his feet by his collar and laughed heartily. When Harry realized the situation, he couldn’t suppress his own chuckle.

“Sorry Hagrid, I’ve had a long day. How’ve you been?” He began weakly.

“Oh, jes fine ‘Arry. I was on me way up to the Headmistress’ office; Professor Krum is ‘ere an’ asked if I would fetch ‘er fer ‘im.” Hagrid chortled.

“Krum?!” Harry all but shouted.

“Aye, he’s unpackin’ in ‘is office righ’ now.” With rushed thanks, Harry dashed off to find his fellow former champion.

Harry was nearly out of breath as he approached the Transfiguration classroom. He hesitantly opened the door to see a familiar frame hunched over a desk at the front of the room.

“I guess, now I know why McGonagall was so intent on keeping you a secret.” Harry chirped from the back of the room.

“Iv it isn’t the Vamous ‘Arry Potter? I should have guessed you vould be the virst ov my old vriends to vind me. How are you ‘Arry?” Krum responded as he closed the space between them and shook hands forcefully.

“I am, as to be expected. How are you? I would have thought Hermione to be the first of us to see you; did she not know you were coming?” Harry wondered.

“She knew I vas the new provessor, but I am late in coming…I vas attacked just ven I left to come here. It was a nasty attack and ve lost several goot people.” He cleared his throat nervously telling Harry to not question into that any further.

“She is in the Hospital Wing training, would you like me to tell her you are here…Professor?” Harry smiled innocently.

“That’s Provessor Krum, thank you,” he said smiling with the same sarcastic smile as Harry, “I’m sure she is busy. Tell her I will have tea with her tomorrow afternoon.”

“Of course, professor, I must get going now; so I will leave you to unpack.” Harry and Krum shook hands again before he left the room.

Harry began to ponder innocently why Hermione would hide the fact that Krum was the new professor. Stupidly, he let himself wonder before he realized that she was trying to be sensitive to Ron. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and wandered toward the stairs to the first floor. He was lost thinking about Ron and Hermione again and didn’t notice someone stop directly in front of him. Harry walked instantly into a thin blonde boy. He tried to mumble his apologies but the person simply stood firmly in Harry’s path. The boy was nearly as tall as Harry now, and Colin looked as though he would murder Harry.

“Did you or did you not call her an ‘ice princess?’” He spat through grated teeth.

Harry swallowed with difficulty and nodded, humiliated and ashamed of his words. His words that had crushed a beautiful girl who Harry privately acknowledged he loved, and Harry knew he didn’t have an excuse for the way he treated Ginny.

“Right,” Colin’s shoulders relaxed visibly as he straightened and looked at Harry with malicious intent.

“Colin, I,” Harry attempted a feeble defense.

“Don’t Harry,” Colin hissed as he raised a hand to prevent any further excuse from Harry. “I just wanted to be sure you really are a complete ass. I congratulate you, I used to think you were brilliant, but you hurt people and make sweet, fiery girls cry. I know she’s been putting you through hell, and I tried to get her to cool it, but this? How could you say those things to her, Harry?” Colin’s eyes were cutting and sharp to match his voice.

“If only you knew what she said to me!” Harry spat in his own defense.

“Oh, I do,” Colin interrupted again, “she tore herself apart over it. I am only going to say this once. Stay the hell away from her outside of classes. She doesn’t need you crushing her every chance you get.”

“It’s not like that!” Harry protested.

“It’s exactly like that. Either you accept and encourage the fact that she is hopelessly in love with you and will stand with you through all you have to do, despite the danger, or you are going to watch her be with someone who will support her and appreciate her for who she really is. Oh and before I forget, Harry?”

“What?” Harry looked up from the floor, with exhaust.

A pale, but strong fist connected powerfully with the left side of Harry’s face. Harry hadn’t expected it and never made a move to block it. He stumbled backwards as Colin shook out the pain in his right hand and stalked past Harry. Harry groped toward the stairs and managed to make it to the Hospital Wing.

“Hermione!” He groaned as his best friend rushed toward him.

“Harry, what happened?!” Hermione exclaimed as she ran at him.

She grabbed his outstretched hand and pushed him into a bed and removed his glasses.

“Nothing I didn’t deserve...” he muttered, to which she replied with an arched eyebrow.

Hermione handed off his glasses to Susan who graciously repaired them while Hermione observed a tiny cut under his eye. Madame Pomfrey watched her Healers-in-training with a watchful eye, only to smile sweetly as Harry’s burgeoning shiner melted away under Hermione’s gentle aid.

Susan handed his glasses back and slipped back to her rounds as she checked on a couple Hufflepuffs who had developed some type of hideous rash as a result of some mysterious candy.

“Well done Miss Granger,” Madame Pomfrey commented as she drifted behind the private screen leading to Malfoy’s bed.

Hermione blushed brightly and ruffled Harry’s hair.

“How is it that you would be my first official patient?” She asked with a laugh.

“Would you have it any other way?” He asked cheekily, getting off the cot she had steered him into.

“No, I suppose not. Are you going to tell me how you happened to have the perfect imprint of a fist on your face?” Hermione inquired smugly.

“I refuse to answer a question that will make me appear such a shameless git, but I will tell you that I happened to run into a new professor of ours. Do you know him? He has a thick Bulgarian accent and when Ron found out you were going to the Yule Ball with him, Ron declared you were ‘fraternizing with the enemy.’” Harry quipped with one breath.

“He’s here! Oh, that’s wonderful. Thank you for telling me. Did he say if we are still on for tea tomorrow?” Hermione began to blush again, slowly growing redder.

“Yes, you are. Why didn’t you tell me he was the new professor? I wouldn’t have gotten upset.” Harry insisted.

“Oh, well…I know that Harry, it’s just that…well…When I found out it was the day after Mr. Weasley…, and I was so busy helping Ron, and then, just before he was supposed to come, he was attacked…”

“Hermione, calm down! I know how much you have been helping Ron; I get it. He mentioned the attack, but didn’t give me the particulars. Care to share, so I don’t put my foot in it?” Harry said as he tried to calm his babbling friend.

“I really shouldn’t but since it’s you…Viktor’s older sister,” Hermione gossiped hastily, “Tatiana, was getting married just before our term began. The wedding was supposed to be spectacular. Somehow the Death Eaters got through the security wards, and they lost so many good people. Professor McGonagall told me that Natasha was kidnapped by Pettigrew and then he tortured Tatiana to death. What’s worse is they think since the groom was never found that he may have been a spy and the wedding was a ruse to get several people fighting against Voldemort in one spot. It was a slaughter.”

“Lord Hermione, that’s terrible! One question, who is Natasha? I can’t imagine what that would be like…at a wedding no less, was the rest of Viktor’s family alright?” Harry gasped in shock.

“Natasha was his girlfriend of nearly two years. He told me that he had bought her an engagement ring and was going to propose after Tatiana’s wedding. Now, she is presumed dead. As for his family, Viktor’s father died just after the Tournament and Mrs. Krum a year later. They were both quite young and it isn’t entirely sure what they died of…His younger sister, Nadia, was injured in the attack on the wedding, but survived…” she trailed off with a far away look in her eyes.

As she finished telling Harry about Krum’s family, Ron strode through the doors carrying a silver tray of sandwiches.

“Hermione, I know that he likes to get jealous, but it would be best if you tell Ron exactly what you just told me. You know why, so please just tell him; we can’t have him failing Transfiguration now can we?” Harry whispered as Ron drew closer to them.

“If I had known that my lunches would be delivered daily because of your presence, I would have suggested you to be a trainee in you first year, Miss Granger.” Madame Pomfrey exclaimed as she pilfered one of the thick ham sandwiches from Ron’s tray. “You have an excellent career in food service ahead of you my boy!” She chimed as she closed the door to her office.

Susan meekly asked if she could have one, but Ron had handed her one before she finished her query. She looked at it for a moment and softly asked a very brave question, “I know you all don’t get along, but I’ve been helping Madame Pomfrey out with Draco. Could I take one to him?”

Ron’s jaw steeled and his free hand fisted before Hermione offered an extra to the sweet girl. Susan was gentle and very soft spoken. Hermione liked her very much and the boys often felt that they intimidated the poor girl. Susan thanked them every time they brought food or demanded she and Hermione attend dinner, but was always very quiet. When Hermione handed her the extra sandwich, she smiled graciously at the trio and slipped behind Draco’s screen.

Ron sent Hermione a very nasty look that she promptly ignored.

“Oh, you aren’t half as mad at me as you will be…” she began sadly, “Harry just told me our new professor is here. Our Transfiguration teacher is Viktor. Now before you get in a tiff, yes I knew before you. I didn’t tell you because I found out the day after your father…” she trailed off as she saw a familiar drain of Ron’s color.

Ron set the tray down and looked to the ground as he tried to back away from her. Hermione handed the tray to Harry and followed Ron as he briskly walked out of the Hospital Wing. Harry left after their hasty departure, hoping he would be able to avoid Colin, and apologize to Ginny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Harry,” a sad voice called to him from behind a statue.

Ginny emerged looking like she hadn’t slept in weeks. Her cheeks were stained and her hair was completely disheveled. She only caught his eye for the briefest of moments before she started crying again. He wasn’t exactly sure how she became enveloped in his arms as they began to walk a familiar path.

“Ginny, please don’t cry.” Harry whispered to her as he guided her down the corridor toward the Room of Requirement.

“I’m just so embarrassed and so ashamed…” she hiccoughed into his cloak.

Harry let himself lazily hold her as they walked by the passage three times and saw the door appear. Inside was a small sitting room with a plush sofa and warm fire. The moment they fell onto the sofa, she wept openly. Ginny had never liked letting people see her cry, much less she hated when she was the reason she was crying to begin with.

“Harry, you were right. I have been awful to you. I know that you fought that day and that it wasn’t your fault. I just wanted to be able to hate you. I couldn’t; you were supportive and helpful. I know that you have to face this, but I didn’t want you to face it alone. I know you have Ron and Hermione, but I want to know that I’m helping you. I just want you to know I support you and then after dad…after dad,” she choked, “I couldn’t do anything. I resented you because you pushed me away. I wanted to support you through your hard times and you wouldn’t do the same for me. Then the other day, I saw Voerlute. She’s beautiful and I was wrong. She didn’t choose me, she was predetermined. I can’t figure out how, but then when Colin and I woke you up in the Common Room, you said that he and I should be together because he would make me happy. I don’t want him to make me happy; I want to make you happy.” She was rambling at an incredible speed.

“Shh, Ginny slow down and calm down. I know you want to make me happy, but that’s not possible for right now. Until we get this whole Occlumency thing down, I can’t let anyone be that close to me. I never said I didn’t want it; I just can’t let him use you as a weapon, not like that, Ginny. I do need you and I want you to be happy. If Colin can make you happy, let him. Right now, I would do a damn poor job, and I’m certain that your six brothers have much scarier punches than Colin Creevey.” He spoke into her hair.

It earned him a small smile, and he felt rewarded.

“If we get this ‘Occlumency thing’ figured out and you feel safe, will you let me help you? I mean really help you? In the battle and everything?” She begged.

“I can’t promise that, Ginny. Honestly, I want to keep you as far away from the battles as I can. Something inside me knows you will be by my side no matter what, but another part of me wants to know that I can keep one person safe. I want that person; rather I need that person to be you. I need to know I haven’t failed in that way.”

“It will come down to you and him, right?” She looked up at him expectantly.

“There’s even a prophesy about it.” He groaned in response.

“Look, when the time comes don’t fight me on it. I will do what I can to help you before then and to stay out of your way, but ask for help if you can, and take it when I can give it. I don’t want to waste the time we have fighting. Deal?”

“Deal, Ginny. I am so sorry for blowing up at you today. I can’t stand to see you upset. You know that right?”

“I know Harry, I’m sorry for the past month.” She giggled.

They both exhaled and breathed a sigh of relief. Now, maybe they might get some work done. Harry stood to leave and held a hand out for her to help her up.

“Harry, before we go there is something I should tell you.” She looked like she may cry again, but held it in, “I know about the Horcruxes.”

“What!” he exclaimed. “How?!”

“I’m not smart like Hermione, but she isn’t smart about not falling asleep with her notes all about the desk in the Common Room. She was making some notes right at the end of the year last year. I saw them before I woke her up; they were just definitions and what goes into a Horcrux. When I saw the name, and the definitions, I realized that the diary was one. Tom put in a lot of effort getting me to trust him and told me a great deal how he made the diary. The real reason why I didn’t come with you was because I knew that if something happened to you guys, someone would have to continue the search for them. Someone would have to continue the search the way you, and presumably Dumbledore, would want. You don’t have to tell me what they are, if you know anything, but Tom told me he made more than one object like the diary. You know I won’t tell anyone, I just wanted you to know that there is one other person who knows.”

“You know, I really should have seen this coming. After all, you are the sister of Fred and George Weasley.” Harry winked at her, but wondered how long it would take for that secret to get out.

“Don’t worry Harry; you’ll give yourself a headache.” She looked up at him with a playful smile.

He smiled back at her and was glad that neither of them had lost all hope. Together, they exited the Room of Requirement and made their way back to the Common Room in an unstrained silence. As they approached, Ginny’s defender came upon them.

“Colin?” Ginny looked perplexed at the look of pure distain on his face.

Harry gracefully slid Ginny in front of him like a shield. Sure it was cowardly, but Colin would at least recognize that Ginny wasn’t angry with him any more.

“Potter, the Headmistress asked I fetch you. She said there is a meeting you, Ron and Hermione need to attend in her office. They have already gone up.” He spat coldly.

Harry simply nodded, smiled to Ginny, and left to find out what was going on. As he left them, he noticed Ginny slip her hand into Colin’s and they began to quickly whisper to each other. Harry let himself feel jealous for a moment before he became completely baffled and tried to figure out where he stood with Ginny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Attention, may I have your attention please!” McGonagall called to bring the remaining Order members together.

Most everyone was in attendance and sitting in her office that had enlarged itself to accommodate everyone comfortably. Harry sat next to Remus who was chatting idly with Kingsley. Mrs. Weasley was talking animatedly with Dora and her friend Veronica. The twins were teasing Percy, who for the first time was in attendance.

“Thank you all for coming today! We have quite a lot to discuss today, but the first and most important thing is to establish who shall be our new leader.” McGonagall chimed from her perch at her desk.

At this, there was a general outburst of several names.

“McGonagall,” “Kingsley,” “My vote is for Mad Eye,” “Gred,” “Forge,”

Chaos reigned and raucous debates spewed forth until finally Mad Eye, who had been lurking in the background with Hagrid, spoke up.

“I think that in order for us to do what is best we should ask the person whose opinion matters most.” He barked at the crowd.

The eyes shifted to Harry, who became furiously uncomfortable.

“Remus,” He stated simply and quietly.

“But he is a werewolf! He won’t be able to be there for us if it is a full moon.” Someone in the back hollered.

“Then he shall have a second, why Dumbledore never did this I’ll never know!” Another person called back.

Harry turned to look at Remus full on, and stood up after emerald eyes met grey.

“Yes, he is a werewolf, but the majority of you know he was the best teacher we ever had in Defense. We need someone who can guide us and be there. Most of you have outside jobs, families, your own lives. Remus and Dora have simple lives at present. She works in the Ministry and he has never failed us in the past. The real question is; would he take the job.” Harry said as steadily as he could.

He had never been more terrified to address a crowd. He watched as all the eyes shifted from him and to his father’s best friend. Remus stood and looked at the crowd. His eyes paused on his wife as she smiled at him. Molly was nodding vigorously with her hands clasped together.

“If you feel I can do this job, I will not fail you at it.” Remus all but whispered.

“Do we as an Order elect Remus Lupin to become the new leader of the Order of the Phoenix?” McGonagall asked to the members gathered in her office.

Slowly the aye’s took the vote and he was elected.

“Shall you choose your second Remus?” She turned and asked the new leader as he took her place at the front of the group.

He smiled and looked through the crowd again.

“Harry, I know I can’t ask you, but who would you think would serve me best?” He asked in a most serious tone.

“I don’t know who you trust, Remus.” Harry returned nervously.

“In this matter, I trust your opinion above all others here.”

Harry suddenly had a flash back from his childhood. He remembered all those times he wanted to play with the children and hoped he would be picked onto a team. Dudley always made sure he was the last to be picked if at all. He gazed around the room at various people, Kingsley would be a good choice, but he was so busy with training and working with the Ministry. Dora would be good, but they may try to kill each other if they had to work that closely together. His eyes passed among the Weasleys. For some reason, he saw one person in the crowd. He was silent and attentive. He would be an excellent choice and Harry knew that Remus would respect and trust him.

“If I were in your shoes, Remus, I would choose Ron Weasley.” Harry dared to answer boldly despite the fact that Molly Weasley was only a few feet away from him.

Ron turned bright red and stared at Remus to gage his reaction.

“Ron, would you join me up here for a moment?” Remus asked quietly and stone faced.

The room was filled with another outburst from the members of the Order.

“He is still a student!” “He can’t speak!” “How will he be informed?”

Molly finally screeched, “He is still a child!”

Tears streamed down her face as a new look of pure terror swept over her. The room fell silent as Ron unfolded his lanky form from the short chair he had been sitting in, and walked to the front of the room. The blush drained from his face, and a new look of confidence and strength donned his young countenance. As he straightened and slowly strode to join Remus, he had never looked more like his father. Pride returned to his eyes and he squeezed his mother’s shoulder gently as he passed her. Harry supposed it was Ron’s way of saying that he would be alright.

“You do not have to accept this role, Ron. I urge you to consider this choice and all possible outcomes. I know you will not fail me and I have complete trust in you. Will you be my second? Will you continue the work Albus started should anything happen to me?” Remus extended a shaky hand to Ron, as his eyes fell on Molly.

Remus couldn’t help but feel awful for her as she saw her son, grip his hand and the pact was made.