Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Review, its the only way you can tell me what you really think. hehehe. We are finally into my plot! Yay! I have gone to great lengths to set up this plot and respond to all the little pieces that JKR has left for us. I really want to know if you like it.
Chapter Thirteen
Fell

Harry detachedly watched as the night got painfully worse. Hermione had fled up the stairs to get Ginny after McGonagall’s note arrived, and now they all waited to hear word. Undoubtedly, there had been an attack, and now seconds seemed like minutes. Minutes seemed like hours as they waited in somber melancholy. Who had been lost? Who was injured? Hermione had deducted that it must have been Bill, Fred or George. Charlie was still in Romania, while Percy and Ron were safe at Hogwarts. Harry also suspected Mrs. Figg had found her fate for though it was not a pain, he could feel an annoying twinge beneath his scar.

After several hours of pacing, yawning, and an unnatural silence, the door to the Hospital Wing snapped open at five in the morning. A clock clanged the early hour but was only heard by few. As they walked into the hospital, they saw something they had never seen before: various Healers from St. Mungo’s had lazily collapsed about on the beds and were grimly discussing the cases of the few wounded.

As if it were an out of body experience, Harry drifted over to see Mrs. Weasley as she tucked George’s unconscious form into bed. His gaunt face was hardly recognizable with a clearly broken nose and blackened eyes. His left leg was suspended in a tight rig and his right shoulder was heavily bandaged. While Molly kept herself occupied with the minor details of George’s cot, Fred loomed like a grotesque gargoyle at his feet. As George’s breath came in soft, shallow, gasps, Fred watched his mother’s fussing and coddling of his catatonic twin.

Fred looked as though his best friend had betrayed him. He was emotionally torn. Though it was clear he had not been beaten, all could see his hollow eyes and vacant expression. Never in the years of his acquaintance with the Weasleys had Harry ever seen Fred so somber, with the exception of their father’s funeral. Even when Arthur Weasley had been attacked in Harry’s fifth year, there was a glimmer of hope behind the twins devastated scowls.

Unable to watch Fred’s broken face any longer, Harry took in the scene of the room. Neville and Luna were sitting in a cot about ten feet away. He was lying against her shoulder and tightly held her hands. Quiet tears tore down his cheeks. Madam Pomfrey silently guided Neville to lay back and rest as she gave him a small dose of Dreamless Sleep Potion. The whole scene was surreal. Neville’s eyelids fluttered shut as the potion took effect. Luna looked away from him for only a moment. She stared into Harry as he approached her.

“It was his grandmother. She was supposed to go to the meeting tonight but was ill. She sent a note to the Headmistress saying she would not be available because she had a bad cough. Professor McGonagall told him that she didn’t suffer and that it was likely they killed her in her sleep,” she paused and looked at her hand that Neville held tightly. “Harry, what do I do? How can I help him get through this? We’re just kids!” Luna let herself cry and weep at Neville’s loss, but Harry could see the fear in her eyes.

It was unnerving to see Luna, Loony-Luna, so solemn. Her thoughts were collected and articulate; it was almost as if she had let a part of herself fall with the loss of Neville’s grandmother. As he watched her golden head bow to return her gaze to Neville, Harry felt a familiar hand pull his shoulder and out of the wing. Hermione was waiting with Professor McGonagall as Ron all but dragged Harry into the corridor.

“As you know, there were attacks tonight. Mrs. Figg was tortured and killed. We currently believe that her death was a ruse to drag attention away from the elimination of the twins.” Her eyes darted to Ron’s stony face before she continued, “Remus believes, and asked me to inform you, that the Weasleys, according to the Death Eaters, are considered blood traitors and therefore should be exercised from the wizarding community. Fred had gone to speak with Lee Jordan after the meeting, whereas George headed directly back to their store. Aside from the building being completely destroyed, when Fred returned, he found George had been strung up to the ceiling. His death was to be slow and painful. However, though he appears in terrible shape, the Healers have induced his coma. He will not wake up until his body has been completely healed, it may be months yet, but he will be fine.” She stressed as she stared into Ron’s cold blue eyes.

She waited for a reaction of some kind on Ron’s part before continuing. Sensing the attention, Ron blinked forcefully and strenuously exhaled. His shoulders visibly relaxed and McGonagall once again began to inform them of the Death Eater activity.

“Remus also believes that there was an attempt on the Minister’s life. As far as we can tell, Minister Scrimgeour is still in perfect health. At this point, I do not have much information on the subject but will keep you all informed as I learn the complete details of tonight’s events. As you may already know, Mr. Potter, Mr. Longbottom’s grandmother was murdered as well. Though her death was considerably more humane, he will feel the loss greatly and I ask all of you to help him.” As she finished briefing the new members of the Order her eyes fell back on the door to the hospital doors.

Without a glance back to the students, the Headmistress turned and headed back to her office. The three friends watched her for a moment before Hermione took charge and pushed into the Hospital. She grabbed a spare apron from Madam Pomfrey’s office.

“Harry, why don’t you walk Ginny back to Gryffindor Tower?” she asked in a manner that suggested he had no choice in the matter.

Ginny was exhausted but was currently trying to get Fred to sit down and get some rest. Molly was still fussing, but she had shifted from Fred and was now holding Neville’s other hand with Luna.

“I don’t want to leave!” Ginny exclaimed as she heard Hermione.

“I don’t want an argument! McGonagall told me that George was going to be fine; he needs time and rest to recuperate. Please go back to the Tower, Ginny. I promise I will come up in the morning and wake you so that you can breakfast with your family. Besides you have your meeting tomorrow afternoon.” Hermione looked poignantly at Harry.

“Alright, but don’t forget to get me.” Ginny asked grudgingly.

Hermione nodded and watched as Ginny squeezed Fred’s arm. Fred merely nodded. Ginny glided over to her mother and placed a quick peck on her head before heading up without bothering to look at her supposed escort. Harry dragged behind her and left it to Hermione to make things better.

“Ron, I’m going to send a note to Susan. Could you go get her from Hufflepuff Hall? She doesn’t like walking alone in the halls at night.” As Ron strode out of the room in complete obedience, Hermione called for Dobby who appeared instantly.

“We have a few guests tonight. Could you please send up some tea and maybe something for the Healers to eat?” She asked sweetly before he was gone again.

“My dear, you need not stay; it is the weekend after all and I thought you hated the use of house-elves.” Madam Pomfrey said as she stifled a yawn. She sounded rather surprised at Hermione’s take-charge attitude.

“I don’t mind, besides…Susan and I agreed that if ever you needed help because of an attack we would call the other to come in and help. Dobby is just getting tea for yourself and the Healers and he is a paid employee. Susan can tend to Neville, while you help George. I will take on Fred and then settle Molly.”

“I must say, I never thought you the commanding kind of girl, but you are quite grown up Miss Granger.” Madam Pomfrey smiled as she slid into her office.

Hermione observed the room for a moment before she squared her shoulders to descend upon Fred. He was still hovering over his twin with a look of complete abhorrence on his face. She vaguely noted that Ron was back and Susan passed her to speak with Madam Pomfrey. Dobby was pouring tea for the remaining Healers. Molly and Luna were whispering busily.

“Fred, you should sit down. He is going to be alright.” Hermione began tentatively.

“Shove off, Hermione.” He had never been so gruff to her. “How could he do this to me? We promised each other that we would both make it out of this stupid war without so much as a scar. Now his leg has to be re-grown and his shoulder was dislocated! He broke his word. He promised me that I wouldn’t lose him.” Fred was vicious in his digression.

Fred, however, did not anticipate Hermione’s ability to hold her ground. He barely noticed Ron toss a spell at himself and Hermione before she truly began to rant.

“How dare you, Fred Weasley! He is your brother and he loves you! Why do you think he would make such an asinine promise? He would make that promise for the same reason you would, to guarantee that if he had to break it, it would be because he was helping someone. Personally, I think since he was nearly killed at your store, you should give him the benefit of the doubt. What is the likelihood that the Death Eaters tortured him into telling them where you or your mother was? What do you think, Fred? Don’t be deliberately stupid, when we know that you are clever enough to bring both Filch and Umbridge to their knees. Now sit down, and relax. You are either going to do as I say or I will toss you so far out of this castle, the giant squid will cushion your fall!” she ridiculed in a disdainful whisper.

“Hermione!” he exclaimed in complete shock. First, his twin was nearly killed, and then a sprite of a girl screams bloody murder at him at almost six thirty in the morning.

At long last, Fred sat on the small wooden stool next to George. Everyone who was awake was staring at the two amusedly. Ron, who had shot a spell at them just before the fight, marched over to where Fred sat and waved his wand at the two.

“What was that?!” Fred asked as Ron popped a small white candy into his mouth and took the spell off his brother and friend.

A spell we learned last year. Prevents you from being overheard.

The Said-Head product was a success. A cartoonish word bubble appeared over Ron’s head as he concentrated on his dialogue.

“I meant her!” He cried as he jabbed a thumb at Hermione.

I know exactly what she can be like when she is really mad at you. Thought you would appreciate your lesson better if the whole wing didn’t know how easily Hermione can put someone in their place.

Fred rolled his eyes at the two who were now staring at him with intent.

“Is he really going to be okay?” Fred asked cautiously while not looking at either of them.

“McGonagall said he would be. Just give it time.” Hermione countered gently.

She gave Fred a cup of tea from Dobby’s tray and went to inform Susan of the situation. Had she turned around at that moment she would have likely blushed profusely.

Blimey, she’s gorgeous when she’s angry.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning came entirely too quickly for the friends. Ginny was in a positively evil mood with her mother after breakfast. Hermione and Susan had let Madam Pomfrey rest for a few hours before going to bed themselves. Ron had decided to stay with Fred and try to help the girls, but ultimately fell asleep. He woke only once when Hermione came to cover him with a spare blanket.

Harry had tried to be of use when he came back the next morning, but he felt he was in the way and left to find a place where he could think and be alone. Without thinking about any place in particular, he found himself before the Irish castle and in the Founder’s Suite.

He took the time to leisurely examine the portraits of the four Hogwarts Founders. He noted Helga Hufflepuff’s charm and playful eyes in deep contrast to Rowena Ravenclaw’s stunning elegance and beauty. Salazar Slytherin had deep obsidian eyes and a brave confidence whereas Godric Gryffindor had a more approachable appeal to his painted demeanor. It was at Gryffindor’s portrait that Harry fell deep into thought. What seemed like hours later Harry vaguely heard the entrance painting snap shut.

“You know, he looks nothing like I imagined. I always envisioned him somewhat more…rugged.” Ginny’s voice interrupted his reflections.

“I’m sorry about George. How are you holding up?” He asked quickly as he spun around to face her.

“I’m alright. Madam Pomfrey said that the other Healers think it would be best if he is housed here since there was an actual attempt on his life. Remus just left with Mum. I don’t know if she had a chance to tell you, but Remus asked that she and the rest of the family move to Grimmauld Place. Well, should we begin?” She spoke just above a whisper and Harry found it difficult to watch the stress in her eyes.

“Begin what?” Harry inquired stupidly.

“Occlumency, Harry. It is why we are here, after all,” she stated, with a weak smile as she waved a hand at the exquisite portraits about her.

“Forgive him, my dear. It has been my experience that no young man can think properly with such beauty before him!” the portrait of Godric Gryffindor boomed from behind Harry’s head.

A startled Harry whirled around too fast and found the floor while Helga Hufflepuff giggled behind her hand. Ginny only smiled at the painting and laughed at Harry on the floor.

“Mr. Ollivander said that you seldom speak to anyone; to what do we owe the honor?” Ginny giggled.

“Oh, he’s always been a flirt. I’m Helga, though you probably know that. He always acts a fool for a lady.” Hufflepuff laughed and rolled her eyes at her fellow founder.

Gryffindor gallantly stuck his tongue out at the cackling women.

“You, my dear, remind me very much of the last woman I saw in this room. Similar shape and height, she had red hair as well. Her name was Claire McFaddon. She and a young fellow, by the name of Wesley, were working on a Divination project together several years ago mind you. They stumbled upon our room and the lessons one can learn here. As I’m sure you deduced, I am Godric Gryffindor, though you may call me God.” He barked with a laugh at the end.

“Godric, you need to get a new joke,” a new low and raspy voice hissed.

Harry and Ginny now looked at the intimidating figure of Salazar Slytherin. His arms were crossed in a most menacing way and he raised a sharp eyebrow at his famed rival.

“Oh, leave him alone Sal! If he doesn’t have his humor, he doesn’t have anything.” A cold feminine voice came from across the room.

This time Ravenclaw was gesturing at Gryffindor.

“If my friends are quite finished with the verbal assaults, I would like to get to know the youngsters better. How are you, my dear?” he asked cheekily, accompanied by a brilliant smile.

Harry could have sworn he heard several eyes roll at that moment.

“I am quite tired today. I have only been up a few hours. Last night, my brother was nearly killed,” Ginny stated boldly.

“You poor dear! And yet you come to work on your Occlumency? You must be a very dedicated student!” Rowena exclaimed.

Ginny smiled at the beautiful woman.

“I’m not that faithful of a student, but the Occlumency prevents me from having nightmares. There is a war on at the moment and it has been most…devastating.” Ginny’s voice tightened up somewhat.

“Oh, you sweet thing, Albus mentioned something of that last year. We have not met the new Headmistress yet, but we assumed she was rather busy.” Helga eloquently stated.

“I can fetch her if you like; she is in her office…” Harry offered.

“No need, Mr. Potter; I have just come to check on you.” The crisp voice of Headmistress Minerva McGonagall announced her arrival.

“Should the six of you need anything at all, I am available for the rest of the day. Please feel free to come to me with any questions or concerns you have.” With that she waved her wand and a large tray of sandwiches and pumpkin juice appeared, much like it had after Harry and Ron had flown the car into the Whomping Willow.

This day was getting continually more peculiar, in Harry’s opinion. Ginny didn’t seem all that affected by George’s injuries. No one had gotten a good night’s sleep, and the Headmistress gave them sandwiches that they could easily have gotten from the Great Hall.

“Well, you best eat up. Occlumency can take a lot out of you sometimes,” Rowena commented good-naturedly. “When you have finished, I think you should try those breathing exercises Mr. Ollivander started you on before moving onto the visualization techniques.”

Harry was lost momentarily before he remembered that they were supposed to envision a body of strength last night. Seeing as Voldemort had attacked his mind, and that he had not slept even after Hermione banished him from the Hospital Wing, Harry had quite let it slip his mind. He and Ginny helped themselves to the thick sandwiches and juice and sat in peace while they ate.

When they were finished Ginny cleaned up while Harry tried in vain to think of a fortifying source of power and strength. First, he tried Hogwarts but then he recalled the last year’s events when the walls had been breeched. Hogwarts was not as safe as it once was. Secondly, he envisioned Dumbledore and the power his mentor exuded, but again Harry was haunted by the weak, old face of the man that died in the previous year. Finally, he found himself thinking of Molly Weasley and her determined countenance. She was a force to be reckoned with at all times.

“Alright children, lie down and relax.” Rowena prompted them.

Her voice was low and melodic. She only spoke once or twice to encourage them to calm, not force, their breathing into a pattern. Soon, they were in that odd place between sleep and consciousness. Harry felt his body completely unwind and yield to its exhaustion, but contradictorily, his mind was sharp and he could hear and smell the faintest breeze whirling in through the window. He could hear Ginny take in deep breaths with her mouth and exhale gently.

“Still focusing on your surroundings, try to envision your image of strength. See in your mind's eye that idea of power and strength. Allow that being to exist on the forefront of your mind so that nothing can delve beyond it.” Rowena’s musical voice emanated again.

Harry’s body dove deeper into relaxation and he felt more rested than he had in months. He saw Molly Weasley as he remembered her, but slowly as her image became clearer in his head, he noticed small nuances of change. Her hips were not as wide and her hair was slightly longer. She had fewer wrinkles and she smiled in a way Harry could not place. He watched as he let Molly walk up to his inner self and past him. He studied her and examined the power this matriarch radiated.

“Harry. Harry, wake up.” Ginny shook his shoulder lightly.

“Ginny? Oh, I guess I fell asleep, I’m sorry,” he said with embarrassment.

“It is quite alright, Harry. Ginny fell asleep as well, and you both did very well.” Rowena commented with praise. “I know that this week will be difficult for you both with classes, but I want you to work on two things. The first is your Occlumency. When you prepare to sleep each night pull that image of strength to the front of your mind again. It should be the first and last thing you see each day. The second thing is a riddle. I have found that when working on the mind, it is hard to always focus on one thing. Push your minds to strengthen each day. When you both know the answer to the riddle, I may be able to find you another one.” She grinned in a way that suggested she was up to something, but as Harry and Ginny did not know her very well, they missed it.

“Thank you for your help today, Rowena," Ginny said politely. “What is the riddle you want us to work on?”

“What is desired and cherished, respected and encouraged, but can only be given to one’s self?” With that her portrait stilled and Harry and Ginny left with pensive looks on their faces.

A/N: Well?