Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please Read and Review! How do different people deal with death?
Chapter Fifteen
Roni

Susan sat just behind Malfoy’s curtain, changing the linens of his cot. Hermione checked off a list of things to be done and made quick notes on her paper. She attended to a small first-year with a bloody nose and managed to clean the girl up and send her off to her Potions lesson. Hermione smiled and shook her head at the girl as she ran out of the wing. The clock in the hall rang out the time and she realized it was now five hours after when Madam Pomfrey had told her to expect her return. As soon as she had noticed this, Professor McGonagall, Remus, and Ron entered the wing.

“Hermione, please get Susan and meet us in the office; we need to speak with you both,” Remus murmured to keep from disturbing the patients.

Once they were all settled in the office, Professor McGonagall explained in graphic detail how Madam Pomfrey was attacked in a store just outside Knockturn Alley. The matronly nurse had been brutally beaten to death. Though the girls were shocked beyond words, they knew this meant that until they found a replacement Healer, they were in charge of the hospital wing. Susan choked back tears and hurried out of the room. Hermione couldn’t keep the tears away and wept a little, while Ron patted her back empathetically.

“I know this is hard, Miss Granger, but we believe we have found a suitable replacement,” McGonagall stated.

“You remember Veronica. She is Tonks’ best friend. Well, she has been informed of the situation and says she will be here tomorrow. I know this is very fast and sudden, but we have to keep moving. There will be memorial service for Poppy in a couple of days,” Remus explained carefully.

Her loss felt sudden and sharp. Hermione detachedly followed through with the chores of her work-study. Ron sweetly offered to stay in the wing with her and Susan, but they ushered him out to attend to rounds.

Just before midnight, Veronica Lockhart swept into the Hogwarts hospital wing. She wore long violet robes that accentuated her feminine features, but maximized her professional demeanor. Quietly, so as not to disturb the few resting patients, she waved Hermione into the office as she crossed the hall. Hermione silently nodded and moved to join her, only stopping briefly by Malfoy’s cot to collect Susan.

The door to the office shut with a tight snap behind Susan. Instantly, Veronica grabbed Hermione into a strong hug. Hermione was caught off guard, but returned the embrace with a feeble pat on the back.

“How are you holding up, old girl?” Veronica asked as she squeezed Hermione.

“It’s been rather hard, but Susan and I have been working quite well together. We didn’t expect you until tomorrow,” Hermione said, with clear stress in her voice.

“You must be Susan Bones. Hermione and I met at Remus and Tonks’ wedding,” Veronica said, as she warmly put an arm around Susan’s shoulders.

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Lockhart. I’m glad you’re here. We have learned so much, but there is still so much more. What do we need to do to get you situated?” Susan asked in a sweet, helpful tone.

“Aren’t you a dear!” Veronica exclaimed. “First of all, you two are to call me ‘Roni,’ just like everyone else. I don’t exactly like my last name, but haven’t found the right bloke to take it away.” She gave a dramatic sigh, causing the girls to sniff and giggle.

“I know you two were quite close to Poppy; she was a damn great lady. And I don’t want you to think I don’t respect her, but she would rather have us plough on and take care of her hospital. So, now that we have the introductions out of the way, let’s get to work,” she said, as she swept off her outer cloak.

The girls watched as she pulled out Madam Pomfrey’s notes and began to mutter as she read through the scribbled remarks of the late nurse.

“It says here, Hermione, that you are excellent at Healing charms and are a quick study at medicinal potions. It also states that you will need work in making out medical reports, working with families, and overall bedside manner. Hermione, I don’t think she is making remarks of weakness in any respect,” she added when she saw Hermione stiffen slightly. “Rather, I think she saw potential in you and wants you to make the most of it. Susan, she said you have excellent bedside manner and are just as strong as Hermione in all things medical, but you often fall to self doubt. I want you to remember that. Madam Pomfrey said you are just as strong a nurse as Hermione. Now that we have the size up of you two, take me around the hall and show me my patients. Afterwards, you two can kip in the office while I pull the late shift. I will wake you for a late breakfast and you two can hold down the hospital until I get situated in my quarters.”

The three women circled the nearly vacant hospital wing. Susan gave a full report on Draco Malfoy. Though he still had no feeling or usage of his left arm, he was regaining strength. Apparently, the potion Snape gave him was some form of poison that, when mixed with the snake venom, turned into a blood-clotting agent, keeping him from bleeding to death. It was a lucky coincidence, but it slowed his overall improvement. Susan mentioned that he could sit up now of his own accord, but had difficulty getting completely out of bed. Malfoy slept peacefully through their discussion and was completely undisturbed when Susan pulled a throw blanket up over his chest.

When they stopped at George’s bed, Hermione gave the report. She explained how George was attacked, leaving out the specifics about the Order meeting. She showed where he had been bound and beaten, and how he had been magically sedated ever since. He was improving slightly. They no longer had to monitor his breathing or vital functions. They simply needed to check the bruising and swelling. Madam Pomfrey had explained to both girls that though his wounds looked less severe that some, the Death Eaters had used certain hexes to ensure he would feel excruciating pain throughout his entire body if he had a single bruise. The diagnosis kept them from waking him completely. Hermione and Susan explained that the Healers from St. Mungo’s and Madam Pomfrey had cast a charm that would allow him to wake only when the pain-causing hex had completely worn out.

By the time the girls were done explaining the various ailments of the few students in the wing, it was nearly two in the morning. Susan opted to stay in the private section near George and Malfoy on an extra cot because Malfoy had a treatment in two hours. That way she could also check George’s status at four.

After Susan disappeared behind the screen, Roni put an arm around Hermione and led her into the office. Roni let Hermione conjure a nice sized cot and dimmed the lights for the tired seventh-year, as she slipped through the door. The door clicked softly as it shut behind her.

Hermione slipped her shoes off and pulled her hair out of the tight bun, letting it fall about her chest and face. She scratched out the pain on her scalp as the waves of exhaust swam over her. She barely realized she had fallen over onto the pillow.

Hermione was quickly falling into the realm of sleep. She could still feel the tenderness in her scalp from pulling her hair too tight. She could smell the clean cotton scent of the sheets and pillow. She felt a pair of strong arms lift her legs onto the cot, and someone gently draped a warm blanket over her. A large hand petted her tired face and pushed her hair back over her forehead. The stranger’s fingers rubbed into her hairline, just past her right ear, and two soft lips placed the softest kiss on her temple.

Clearly asleep, Hermione mumbled a disjointed, “thank you, Roni,” before she was lost to her dreams. Though she wouldn’t remember the dream in the morning, she imagined she heard a scratchy, harsh voice whisper, “I love you so much.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Ron and Harry joined the girls for their breakfast. Harry practically stalked into the wing, whereas Ron looked like he hadn’t slept all night. Ginny followed them, but instead of talking to any of her friends, she slipped behind the partition and went to sit with George.

Apparently, last night was very event filled. Neville and Luna had a spectacular fight in the Charms corridor. Harry said he had been certain he would have mastered some things in his Auror training, but was rather stuck and expected to have a very hard week because of it. No one was particularly certain what was bothering Ginny, but most everyone was shocked by the sudden death of Madam Pomfrey. More than anything else, the students respected the loss and maintained silence in the halls. Classes had also been cancelled for the day.

Harry was excited to talk to Roni. She had been loads of fun at Remus and Tonks’ wedding. Around noon, she came in and chatted with the kids briefly before throwing them out of the wing, ordering them to use the time to make memories. Harry chuckled at her demand, but considering the circumstances, found it wise.

Susan looked sad and melancholy, but chose to put on a brave face. When she turned to head up to Hufflepuff Hall, Harry caught her hand and gave her a tight hug and kiss on the cheek.

“We are friends, you know,” he whispered to her, “you can talk to us,” he finished, genuinely concerned.

“Harry, you’re very sweet. I know we are friends; I’m just so upset about Madam Pomfrey. I’ve lost so many people in my life; my parents, my auntie, now her. She was my mentor. I don’t know who is going to be next; I don’t know if I could handle it,” she ended with a sigh, as a tear slid down her plump cheek.

“We’re all going to try and make it out of this, and in the end we will do what Roni says and remember these times and not the uglier ones,” Hermione offered.

Susan smiled and stepped away from the three friends. Harry, Ron, and Hermione decided to go visit Hagrid at Harry’s suggestion. He was likely in need of company, if for no other reason than they wanted to see him.

“Ron,” Hermione whispered, as they made their way past fellow students and out the main doors, “do you know if Roni is a member of the Order?”

Ron nodded and gave a brief look around for good measure.

“I think we should invite Susan. I know she is worried about losing people and all, but I think since Malfoy won’t let me near him and Roni and I are in the Order, it would make sense to ask her. We have a meeting at Headquarters in a few days; I would like to propose it then. What do you think?” She asked, turning her head to see his expression.

“Brilliant,” appeared above his head and a little blush crawled up both their cheeks. Thankfully, Harry was more than willing to ignore them. When they got to Hagrid’s they were surprised at what they saw. Not only was his old shack gone, but a newer, larger shack had been built in its place.

It was remarkable how similar the new home was to the old one. When they approached the door and gave a hearty knock, they were shocked when the door swung violently open and off its hinges. Their eyes traveled up the giant’s body and paused at his face.

“Hermy?” Grawp asked, with a huge, toothy smile. A booming giggle erupted from behind him.

“E’s a good lad, wouldn’t cha say?” Hagrid smiled as he pulled the trio and his brother back into the house.

The inside looked almost as though it had never changed, only enlarged. Hagrid had added another huge bed for Grawp, and Harry could see where the bed frame had been crushed by the immense weight of the giant. Fang was asleep on Hagrid’s chair, and a large pot sat on the stove. The house smelled of the thick stew Hagrid was preparing.

The trio braved through an invitation to stay for lunch, and was relieved to find that the stew was quite good. It warmed their tired bodies and invigorated their exhausted minds. Before long, their conversation shifted towards the memorial.

The beloved nurse was to be buried next to Dumbledore in a small, grey tomb. The memorial was to be the next morning. Hagrid informed them that the ceremony would be considerably informal and that only the seventh years were allowed to go because of security reasons. They sat and talked about the woman who had mended all their wounds over the last six years. Hagrid even shared some of his memories.

“An’ then, ‘Arry, your da’ and Sirius come runnin’ into the wing at full speed. Sirius drops to a knee and proposes ri’ then an’ there while James throws her into a dip an’ tries to steal a kiss. She was eight shades of red, she was. Cor’ they had her good ‘n’ distracted, so Peter snuck ol’ Remus out of ‘is cot. Once they see he’s gon’ James drops ‘er on a cot, grabs Sirius by the neck an’ tear outta there.”

“And all of that was just because Remus bet Sirius he couldn’t get him out of the hospital a day early?” Harry laughed out loud.

“Oh yeah, then there was the time, in their seventh year min’, Lily was right angry at Sirius for ‘accidentally’ announcing to the entire Great Hall that she and James were finally an item. I’ would ‘ave bee’ a’righ’ if he hadn’ shown all those pictures of James an’ Lily neckin’ ou’ by the lake.” Hagrid heaved out a hearty laugh at the thought.

“I can’t believe Sirius would do something like that! To his best friend even!” Hermione exclaimed, blushing.

“Well, Lily was ne’er a sit an’ watch kin’ a girl. She got ‘er revenge. Best story I ever heard Poppy tell. Apparently, she managed to put a Permanent Sticking Charm in a very unpleasant place, and Sirius had to walk all the way from the dungeons with on’ han’ down ‘is pants. Poppy said she ‘ad the hardest time keepin’ a straight face.”

By the time the stories ended, everyone had laughed harder than they had in days. They said their goodbyes to Hagrid and Grawp and made their way back to the castle. The late November air clipped at their cheeks and they shivered as they crept up the darkening grounds.

Once inside, Harry turned to go to the kitchens to grab a few snacks and then go check on Susan. Once he was out of sight, Ron bravely put an arm around Hermione’s shoulders. When she turned to look up at him, it was very clear that he was concerned about her.

“I’m fine,” she said, before he could pantomime the question, “I’ve just never lost someone this close to me. I loved your father and Sirius, but she was so kind and encouraging. I’ve learned so much from her, and I know I can learn from Roni too, but now I feel kind of lost.”

Ron opened his mouth to pop in a Said-Head pill, but she stopped him.

“I know you’re here for me, just like I’m here for you, but it’s still hard. I guess this kind of loss just makes a person feel lonely even when the best people in the world surround you.”

Just outside the Fat Lady’s portrait, Ron Weasley held Hermione Granger in a tight embrace. His fingers tangled in her wild hair; her hand slipped up and grazed the light stubble on his cheek. Their eyes held fast in each other’s gaze. She rose up and he bent down, connecting their foreheads. Hermione’s eyes fluttered shut as Ron’s cheek caressed hers. Mere millimeters away from the pink corner of her mouth, Ron closed his eyes to kiss the only girl he ever wanted to kiss. It was the perfect moment. And in that perfect moment, Seamus and Dean came stumbling out of portrait hole as it swung open violently, breaking Ron and Hermione apart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The memorial was quick and very respectful of the amazing woman they laid to rest. Most of the Order was in attendance, though Roni chose to stay in the hospital so Susan and Hermione could go to the service. Remus, with clear strain in his voice, spoke of memories and moments of Madam Pomfrey. Moody even shed a tear. As Harry held a weeping Susan, he looked out into the crowd. He was completely in awe of how many women Madam Pomfrey had touched in her life. Outside of the Order, there were at least a hundred people gathered in respectful peace for the adored.

Once back in the common room, Ron and Hermione sat with their friends. Neville sat noticeably away from the group. Hermione had pointed out to Ron that Neville was still coping with the sudden loss of his grandmother. Ron, being a good friend, slid into the seat across from Neville, while Hermione watched on from the other side of the room.

Hermione watched for a moment before turning back to her conversation with Dean. While he was asking her a question about the properties of the rose root, Ron slipped Neville a note across the small table, where they had started a chess game. Out of the corner of her eye, Hermione could see Neville reading the note. He laughed for a moment, then overturned the chessboard and stalked out the portrait hole.

Hermione, ignoring Dean’s question, went over to Ron. She picked up the note he had scribbled; it read:

We are here for you, if you need us.

“That was very sweet. You did the right thing,” she said to Ron, who looked deeply troubled at Neville’s response. “Why don’t you see if you can find Luna? I’ll catch up to Neville. Meet you on the third floor corridor, the one Fluffy guarded, in ten minutes?”

When Ron nodded his agreement, she fled out the door in search of the grieving boy. A short while later, she found him and dragged him up to the once forbidden hallway, on the pretense that she thought there might be a dangerous mold growing thanks to Peeves. Neville, albeit grudgingly, agreed and trudged up the hallway.

Once inside, Neville became blatantly aware that Hermione had lied to him. But as he prepared to storm out of the room again, Ron burst through carrying a slimy and unconscious Luna. Her hair was slicked back as yellowish pus oozed out of her golden tresses and slopped onto the floor with a sickening plop. The easily recognizable Bubotuber pus was caked onto her face and arms.

Ron placed her gently on the floor beside Hermione and, though his arms were lathered in the painful grease, ran to get help.

“Why didn’t he just take her directly to the hospital wing?” Neville asked, panicked.

“Not now, give me your cloak!” Hermione snapped as she whipped out her wand and began to clean Luna’s exposed skin.

She took Neville’s cloak and carefully wrapped Luna’s head in it. Hermione knew there would be permanent damage to the scalp, but it was much more important to get it off her face. If it was ingested it could be lethal, and Hermione knew that was already a possibility. There was so much pus that Luna’s skin hadn’t yet developed the dangerous boils. As Hermione cleaned the pus off her eyes, boils immediately began to develop.

Moments later, Ron dragged Roni into the corridor by her cloak. The seconds ticked away as they worked feverishly to clean enough of the pus off to move her to the hospital wing. Ron had collapsed, shaking, on the floor. The pus was causing his skin to scream in pain. His arms and neck were covered with large, ominous boils.

“Longbottom, right?” Roni asked. “Help Ron down to the hospital and have Susan take care of him. Hermione and I are going to take Luna to St. Mungo's. Tell Susan that one of us will be back in an hour.” With that, she took off her bracelet, muttered, “Portus medicalus,” and they were gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later, Neville paced in the hospital wing. Susan told Ron he would have to stay at least one night to make sure his boils healed without infection. He had carried Luna from Neville’s private gardens on the roof all the way to the third floor corridor. He explained that he intended to go straight to the hospital, but the searing pain wouldn’t allow him to carry her the whole way. When Neville heard this, he went up to the garden he and Professor Sprout had built. It was his project. He was working to produce several plants vital to potion making, but since his grandmother’s death, his work had slipped. Some of his plants were weak, but most were salvageable.

Luna had always enjoyed helping him with the plants, and when he pushed her and his work away, she had tried to help him by keeping his plants alive. It was clear to see that some had gotten unruly and it was only a matter of time before someone tripped over the exposed root and burst the huge Bubotuber pods.

When Neville returned to the hospital and resumed pacing, Susan was so distracted by him that she didn’t even notice when Hermione burst through the doors.

“She’s coming back! Its okay! We have to get a bed ready,” Hermione exclaimed, as she reached for a bed a few feet away from Ron.

As the girls busied themselves and prepared the cot, Neville sank onto the foot of Ron’s bed. Hermione slowed her work when she saw the look of pure desperation on Neville’s face.

“They had to shave her head because the pus was soaked into her scalp. She has bandages all around her arms, like Ron there, but on her neck, shoulders, and face too. We got her there in enough time to keep the poison completely out of her system. She was really lucky. Ron must have found her when it had just happened.” Hermione whispered so only the four of them could hear.

“She was screaming when I found her, collapsed only one flight down. Carried her from there,”
Ron provided.

A second later, Roni appeared with Luna in a stretcher. Susan raised a privacy partition, and the boys waited eagerly to see how their young friend was feeling. Hermione left Roni and Susan to move Luna into her new bed and slipped around to see Ron.

“Well how are you doing, superman?” she asked good-naturedly, as she carefully examined Susan’s bandaging.

Ron looked at her in confusion, but shrugged.

“Superman is a Muggle hero, saves damsels in distress, that sort of thing. I’m pretty proud of you. You saved her life, you didn’t make any rash decisions, and you took control of the situation. You could have left her there, but you were willing to take on that unholy pain,” Hermione said proudly.

Again Ron shrugged, but a hideous red blush crept up his neck.

“Neville?” a very weak voice called from behind the partition.

Roni lit the candle next to Luna’s cot and changed places with Neville. As their friend slipped around the partition, they could barely hear the gentle whispering, but they watched the shadow of Neville take one of Luna’s bandaged hands and hold it carefully in his own.

“I’m so sorry, Luna. I shouldn’t have left the garden. It has become dangerous. I can’t say how sorry I am,” Neville choked out in a heavy whisper.

“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have yelled at you. I know how hard your grandmother’s loss was, but I wanted you back. I wanted that sweet friend who was calm and gentle. I went in the garden looking for you. I know you told me not to worry about you, but I can’t help it. I was so worried about you. I just, I just care about you.” Her strained voice had lost all of its dreaminess.

The three eavesdroppers watched as Luna pulled Neville’s hand to her face. Neville leaned down to place a gentle peck on her forehead and left her to rest. His face shone bright pink as he saw that Roni, Hermione, and Ron had been watching them.

Hermione cleared her throat and took a tentative step towards Neville. “We didn’t mean to watch, but we couldn’t look away. She is our friend and so are you. We have been so worried, Neville. Please don’t be angry,” she said softly, hoping he would stay calm.

“This is my fault. She wouldn’t have been in the garden if I hadn’t pushed her away. Ron wouldn’t have gone looking for her if I hadn’t pushed him away. I nearly killed the sweetest person I know and one of the best friends I’ve ever had. I know I have been horrible and I’m sorry, but right now I need to go somewhere to think,” he replied in a monotone voice.

They watched him as he slid past the beds and out of the wing. As they watched him leave they noticed Professor McGonagall and Harry quietly making their way into the wing. Harry’s eyes slid over the few patients and came to a halt on Ron.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner, but I have been trying to destroy that dagger. Moody thinks it may have different protection than the cup. Regardless, the thing is still intact,” Harry whispered to his friends.

“You know, I was worried you were too young for the position you came into recently,” McGonagall said to Roni, abruptly changing subjects, “but you have proven today that you are more than qualified, in my eyes at least. I wanted to check on you and Miss Lovegood. She is alright?”

“Going to be just fine in a few days, though she will have to wait a week or so before we can re-grow her hair,” Roni provided.

“Very well. Before I leave, I wanted to inform you that because of the ever-growing danger and the fact that he is here at least once a week anyhow, I have chosen to hire a second caretaker. He will assist Mr. Filch in all things around Hogwarts. I believe you two know him,” McGonagall gestured to Ron and Hermione. “May I introduce our new caretaker, Mr. Fred Weasley.”