Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please review or the next cliffhanger will be even more painful.
Chapter Eighteen
Stroke

Hermione Granger strode into the hospital wing as she had done many times before, but tonight was different. Tonight was Christmas evening and she had just fought a battle on Privet Drive. She quickly moved to the office, where Susan Bones sat with Percy, Fred, Ron and Ginny Weasley.

At the sight of her friend, Ginny leapt up and hugged Hermione tightly. Susan took Hermione’s coat and Ron offered her his seat. Fred made no effort to move or speak and watched as Hermione was ushered into the small space. Percy, however, rapidly began to fire off questions.

“Calm down everyone,” she cried, “everybody is fine. We were all about to leave the Dursleys’ when Vernon came home. He said he had guests coming and tried to throw us out. Of course, he had to be a complete baboon about it and threw Petunia out as well, thus nullifying her protection of the house. He said that because she associated with Harry and the likes of us that she was no longer welcome in his house. Well, just then, his guests arrived, who turned out to be Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback.

“We got the Dursleys and Hagar out. Hagar is Dudley’s girlfriend and Roni’s sister. Small world apparently. Anyhow, Fleur went out first and took out most of the men. I must say I have never been more thankful for Veelas. Tonks, your mum, and I rounded up as many as we could. Remus, Bill, and the rest of the boys shielded us. In the end, the Death Eaters were replenishing themselves too quickly and we had to escape. I got out with Mercutio, my phoenix, and two other pheonixes showed up as well. They got the rest of the group out.

“When we got back to my parents’ house Kingsley informed us that you were waiting for information and that he had been one of the Aurors called to the scene to round up any Death Eaters they could,” Hermione exhaled and took a sip of the tea Susan offered.

She had been speaking rather quickly and had tried her best to answer all of Percy’s rapid fire questions. Ginny had listened intently and gasped when Hermione explained that Hagar was Roni’s sister. Susan graciously let the Weasleys have a moment in the office and went to check on George and Draco.

“So everyone is fine, no one was hurt?” Ginny asked tentatively.

“Moody had a bad hit, but Roni was already beginning to wrestle him into a seat when I left. I believe that was the extent of injuries,” Hermione responded thoughtfully.

“Is Roni coming back tonight?” Fred asked hopefully.

Hermione quirked an eyebrow and said, “I believe she is, but it won’t be until later because she has to get some things resolved with Hagar.”

“Thanks for letting us know, Hermione,” Percy said, adding, “has Kingsley gone to inform McGonagall?”

“Yes, we split in the Entrance. I knew you lot would be here so I came straight away. Why don’t you go see if McGonagall needs anything from me?” Hermione asked politely. “I would like to get back to my parents as soon as possible.”

Percy left quickly and Fred offered to join him. As he walked past Hermione, Fred patted her on the head like a small child. Ginny gave Hermione another tight squeeze and mumbled something about needing to find Colin. Ron stared at his hands for a moment once they were alone.

Hermione could tell that there was so much he wanted to say, but she knew he couldn’t express it with or without his voice. She placed a hand over her face and finally let the intensity of the day impact her. She had been in a battle today with several Death Eaters. She willingly walked into danger and honestly had no idea why she fought as hard as she did.

The day had been so stressful; first Christmas, then Charlie appears, next they are at Privet Drive. She and Hagar were gossiping about silly things and suddenly Petunia is homeless and Bellatrix is waving at them through the window. She was so angry and frustrated that her cup began to vibrate. Tea slopped over the edges before she set it down on the desk.

Hermione was near the point of crying, or screaming, or laughing, she just didn’t know which one to do first. Ron could see her distress and reached out to hold her hands.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I was fighting a Death Eater and all I could think was, ‘Ron should be here.’ I don’t mean that you should have come to fight, but that we should be fighting together. I like when I can look at you and know you have enough faith in me to beat one of them. It felt so empty today, like I couldn’t remember why I was fighting them. It scared me to think that, Ron. If we ever get out of this war, what is going to be left?” Hermione continued to vent and it unnerved her to feel so vulnerable.

“You know what I miss?” Hermione asked, suddenly quite calm. “I miss the juvenile screaming. I miss you and Harry trying to convince me to help you finish an essay at the very last minute. I miss Quidditch games and pretending to be cold so you would stand closer to me when you weren’t playing. I miss the way that you would smile at me, when you were on your broom after you made a great save. I miss you calling me a nag,” finally she broke down and let herself cry.

Ron pulled her to him and she wept openly on his chest.

He couldn’t say anything, he had no voice. He could manage a tight scratchy sound sometimes, but right now he wanted her to feel safe and loved. He wanted her to know that she couldn’t give up. How could he make her see and feel all of that?

Roughly he tried to clear his throat and ground out a harsh sentiment, “I… love….you,” he forced.

Just as their eyes locked and they stared deeply into each other, Ginny came bursting back into the office.

“Ron, come quick! You have to see this!” Ginny exclaimed oblivious to what she interrupted.

Fred was tickling George’s nose with a feather and George kept batting it away with his left hand. Ginny pulled Fred away and whispered something in her sleeping brother’s ear. As if he had been shocked, George’s eyes snapped open and he sat straight up. George looked slightly confused about his surroundings, but turned to glare at Ginny.

“Did you know she threw a chicken at me because she thought I was the one who did that?!” George screamed at his sister.

Fred was laughing hysterically, Ginny started to cry and Hermione shook her head and smiled. The day had been exhausting and stressful, but it was going to end well.

“Ickleronnikins! How are you little brother?” George looked at Ron and smiled, “and my little Ginny!” he exclaimed as his sister crawled under the covers and snuggled up with him. “You all act like you haven’t seen me in months! Where is Mum? Is she after Madam Pomfrey about my bed linens or something?”

“Oh dear,” Hermione whispered, crestfallen.

“Would you have Professor McGonagall get our mother here please, Hermione?” Percy asked politely and she was gone instantly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Molly Weasley quickly marched into the Hogwarts Hospital Wing. She had received an emergency medical summons from Minerva and became immediately panicked. Bill, Charlie, Fleur, and Roni had to run to keep up with her. As she burst through the doors, she saw Ron standing over George’s cot with his hand clamped over his mouth.

Percy was holding Ginny. Hermione sat stone faced in the chair next to George. Fred was leaning against Ron and everyone became very quiet as Roni rushed forward and began to check for any indication that George’s health was failing.

She leaned close to his face, he was whispering something. She could just barely make it out…

“You…need…” his voice wavered.

“I need what?” she asked as she ran her tests.

“You…need…” he hissed again.

Roni looked back at Molly and shrugged in confusion. Molly was holding her forehead and shaking her head. She slipped past Charlie and Bill and put a gentle arm around the twin next to Ron.

“What do I need?” Roni asked again.

Suddenly the boy flung his arms around her crouched form and he pulled her into a sloppy kiss.

“You need a new dress, because we have a date Saturday!” He exclaimed before he kissed her again.

“George Weasley!” Roni screamed, “I told you, not in front of the other patients!”

Everyone stared at her for a moment before the real George started laughing. Molly hugged him and chuckled along with the rest of the family.

“I like her, Fred,” Charlie choked out, wiping away a tear.

Bill put an arm around a giggling Fleur, “Welcome to the family, Roni, and welcome back George.”

Fred sat in George’s bed shocked that Roni was so quick with a comeback. He thought he would have gotten at least a slap for a prank like that, but here she was lying in his arms, and laughing at him.

“Well, that was fun, but do you think we could get me up to speed?” George asked.

Professor McGonagall stepped into the wing just as Molly helped George into a chair. She looked at Roni struggling to wiggle out of Fred’s grasp and a still chuckling Charlie. The headmistress rolled her eyes at the twin still in the bed and put an arm around Hermione.

“You clearly have things under control, Miss Lockhart,” McGonagall stated as Roni shot her a nasty look, “I will escort Miss Granger to the gate so she may return to her holiday.”

The gentle woman guided Hermione out of the wing and towards the steps leading to the main entrance. They didn’t say much to one another, but just as Hermione was about to slip past the gate McGonagall stopped her.

“You have had a very long day, Miss Granger. When you get home tonight, I want you to read a book. Something completely unrelated to magic, medicine, or Healing. I would recommend Pride and Prejudice if you’ve got it,” she said with a small smile. “That Mr. Darcy always makes me feel better.

“From what I’ve observed, you are one of those people who will work and fight as hard as they can, but will break if they lose themselves in the process. I think that you have been diving into your studies and work so that you don’t have to feel the stress and pain that this war is causing. If you do that you will lose everything,” McGonagall whispered.

“I don’t know how to deal with it all,” Hermione confessed.

“Take it day by day, let the people in your life help you, and make time for yourself to enjoy a little bit of everyday,” McGonagall said wisely.

They smiled at each other and Hermione Disapparated with a soft crack.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione Apparated directly into her bedroom at her parents’ house. She thought about everything that McGonagall had said. McGonagall was worried about her and Hermione knew that she needed to take the woman’s advice. She quietly moved towards her parents’ bedroom. She knocked and entered.

Her mother was still wide awake, though her father was asleep.

“Greg, Hermione’s back,” her mother whispered to Mr. Granger’s sleeping form.

“Let him rest, Mum,” Hermione said, “I just wanted to say I’m back and goodnight. I hope Remus took care of everything.”

“He did,” Mrs. Granger replied, making room for her daughter to sit on the bed. “He took Dudley, Harry, Hagar, and Petunia back to his home. Vernon was rather upset to learn that he would be reporting to the Aurors to give them information on his ‘business associates.’”

Hermione giggled at Mr. Dursley’s predicament. Her mother appraised her carefully, calculating Hermione’s every mannerism.

“Oh, Mum, you wouldn’t believe how insane this day has been!” Hermione said with a strained voice.

“Well, lucky for you I know the cure to bad days,” Mrs. Granger announced as she flung her covers onto her still sleeping husband.

“I’ll get the chocolate!” Hermione offered with a smile.

“I’ll get the Schnapps,” her mother whispered as she tied her robe.

“Mum!” Hermione hissed in shock.

“Oh please, Hermione, you’re eighteen, just fought a battle, and you keep twisting your thumb. Which, by the way, is a clear indication that you and Ron had a little run in at Hogwarts; you get the chocolate shakes going and I’ll sneak in the peppermint Schnapps,” she said with a wink. And mother and daughter dashed down the stairs.

Six days later, Hermione strutted into the front door of Grimmauld Place. She hadn’t realized how refreshing her mother could be. They had stayed up late every night since Christmas. Her mum would tell stories about how she and Hermione’s father met, while Hermione would vent all of her anxieties and just feel better. Though she missed her parents, it finally felt right to be going back to Headquarters and preparing for her return to Hogwarts.

It was New Year’s Eve and the Lupins were planning a spectacular party. The house smelled wonderful, an indication that Molly was cooking up another amazing spread for the festivities. She smiled at the hundreds of decorations and noisemakers that had been littered across the home. As Hermione hung up her coat, Harry came bolting out of the kitchen.

“You have to help me!” He exclaimed.

“What now?” She replied with scepticism.

“Charlie says that if I don’t get a kiss at midnight two awful things will happen. One, I’ll be cursed to have a year filled with frigid people, and two, if I don’t get someone to volunteer; he is going to kiss me full on the lips,” he said quickly.

“Well if I kiss you, won’t he be doomed to a cold year?” Hermione asked.

“Not possible if you work with dragons, love,” Charlie supplied entering from the kitchen.

Harry made to hide behind her. “I do not want to kiss Charlie,” he muttered childishly.

“Oh for heaven’s sake!” Hermione laughed. “Fine Harry, I’ll give you a kiss at midnight.”

Harry breathed an overdramatic sigh of relief, “You are a peach!” he said while pinching her cheek.

Hermione slapped his hand away and then playfully whacked Charlie on the arm as well.

“What was that for?” Charlie protested.

“Harry was such a sweet, quiet boy before the likes of you corrupted him,” she said simply and walked away.

By eleven, the party was beyond raucous. Bill was seen dragging Fleur into a closet and Molly had convinced Mad-Eye to wear a lamp shade as a hat. Tonks and Remus kept sneaking upstairs, and Charlie was trying to convince Hermione to kiss him instead. Even Dudley and Hagar were having a wonderful time. Remus had insisted on playing loud music, and Harry made Hermione dance with him. Aunt Petunia laughed at the youngsters and made Harry waltz with her, despite Charlie’s cat calls. Several Order members were there, though most of the Weasley family remained at Hogwarts. The evening was going wonderfully and as the last minute of the year counted down, everything felt like it was the way it was supposed to be.

People were laughing and dancing, singing and embracing each other as they counted down the last moments.

“Ten!” They all chorused together as Charlie grabbed Hermione into a tight embrace.

“Nine!” Harry petrified Charlie and claimed Hermione by the arm.

“Eight!” Molly threw a sobering charm at Moody.

“Seven!” Remus revived Charlie.

“Six!” Charlie chased Hermione around the room.

“Five!” Hermione hit Charlie with her own stunner.

“Four!” Bill and Fleur fell out of the closet.

“Three!” Harry leapt over the couch to get to Hermione.

“Two!” Everyone held their breath.

“One!” They all screamed and kissed their respective partners.

It was one moment in time and it was perfect. Hermione placed the chastest of kisses on Harry’s lips. Hagar and Dudley were embracing fondly. Molly saved her rejected son, and gave Charlie a kiss after she revived him, while Moody pressed a small kiss on Aunt Petunia’s hand. Remus and Tonks, like Bill and Fleur, had vanished once again, and Harry distinctly heard Molly mutter, ‘newlyweds’, to Charlie.

They could hear the bells tolling the hour. Just as the clock chimed its last chime, Remus came rushing down the stairs. He was haphazardly putting his shirt back on and his trousers were unbuttoned. In his left fist he grasped a note.

“It’s from Ron,” he gasped, “Hogsmeade is under attack.”