Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Its her back yard, I'm just playing on the swings.

Chapter Seven
Slow Motion

The next day dawned with great haste. Harry slept deeply in his warm, soft bed. He had dreamt of his parents and birthdays; he was lost in his fantasies and never even heard his bedroom door quietly squeak open and six feet gently slink into the room.

“Harry gasped as the wind was knocked out of him, the thudding sensation erupting all over his blanketed body. He jerked awake, sitting up suddenly, stupidly fumbling for the means to unmask his conspirators “ his glasses!”

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HARRY!!!” Ginny and the twins yelled as they bolted out the door.

The three criminals dashed out his bedroom door with Harry in close pursuit. He nearly caught Ginny on the landing, but was detained when Ron hurled a full bucket of freezing cold water at his fully clothed body. Harry stumbled backwards to where Luna and Hermione bounded up from behind him and dumped several bags of glitter on his sopping head.

He entered the very full kitchen, dripping and sparkling in the morning light. A roar of laughter erupted as he was pulled to the head of the kitchen table next to Neville. Harry gazed at Neville. He was not wet, nor glittered, but his entire person was stained bright pink. Neville’s hair stood on end and he was apparently suffering from hiccups. With each hiccup square bubbles soared out of his mouth. Harry and Neville laughed as they saw each other and shared a quick, “Happy Birthday!”

Mrs. Weasley took a few fast photos and assembled everyone into a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday.” After their song, she whipped out her wand and dried Harry, but let him stay shiny. Ginny and Mr. Weasley put two large plates in front of the birthday boys.

“I hope you two have a wonderful birthday! Molly and I have gotten you both presents; I have no idea what they are…but I hope you both know that I am very proud of you and am here for you if you need anything.” Mr. Weasley smiled at the young men and caught his wife in his gaze.

Neville and Harry blushed brightly as the patriarch sauntered over to his wife where he promptly dipped her and kissed her with relish. She swatted his arm, though she was glowing with an equally flirtatious spirit. The Weasley boys groaned while the girls laughed. About this time Harry noticed a very distracted Hermione place a large basket of biscuits on the table. Ginny was bouncing around her brothers placing silly paper party hats on their heads. Harry saw everyone busy and took a moment to check on his best friend.

“Hermione, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, thanks.” She pulled him into a deep hug before wandering to one of the seats at the table and pouring herself some juice.

She was still lost in her own thoughts, but looked happier than the day before. He made a mental note to offer to beat Ron up for her. She was after all the closest thing he had to a sister and he couldn’t be caught sleeping on the job. Harry saw Dora and Remus slip into the room unnoticed. They both wore deep blushes, mussed hair, and very ruffled pajamas.

“Why do you blush so, Moony?” Harry chimed with the most disgusting smile he could issue.

The crowd laughed as Remus flung a biscuit at Harry’s head. Soon everyone was immersed in their breakfasts. They all tried to rush through their meals so that the birthday boys could get to the large pile of presents. Ron grabbed a few extra pieces of toast while his sister and mother pulled Harry and Neville into the living room to open several presents.

“You first, Neville,” Harry offered.

Neville tore into the small package his grandmother had sent him. A note escaped the box just as he drew out a small leather bound book.

My Dear Boy,
It was your father’s. He would want you to have it. Be safe and know that I love you.
Gran


Neville gently flipped through the passages of his father’s old journal. He sniffed back the large lump that had swelled into his throat and nodded to Harry to indicate his turn.

“Harry, to get your present from Dora and me, you’ll have to look around.” Remus indicated behind Harry.

A large painting was mounted on the wall exactly where Mrs. Black had once resided. Harry gazed at the colors. It was very abstract and magically enchanted. The colors and shapes swam across the canvas making new colors and shapes. Somewhere deep within Harry’s memory something clicked. He knew that painting like an old lullaby.

“Your mother painted it. During meetings we would prop you and Neville in front of it. You two would sit in complete silence and watch for hours. You were mesmerized by it. That painting was always my favorite, so she gave it to me on my birthday, about a month before you all went into hiding. She said I could have it on one condition - that she could bring you over anytime she wanted if she needed a moment of silence. You were a rather fussy baby.” Remus finished his diatribe and winked at Harry.

Harry blushed and turned back to Neville who was gazing intently at a bright red beam that was dancing in the bottom right corner of the frame. A moment later he had torn his stare away from the amazing art and they were both ripping into the rest of their packages.

Hagrid had sent them both large tins of homemade fudge, which they both offered to the forever famished Ron. Hermione and Ginny gave Neville an elaborate book about exotic plants and Harry a homemade fleece blanket. Fred and George gave the boys very large packages. Neither present was opened because the boxes growled dangerously every time someone came near them. Luna gave Neville a beautiful silver pocket watch that had his name engraved on the back, and Harry a lifetime subscription to the Quibbler. Ron gave both of his friends a large collection of chocolate frogs and a game of Exploding Snap. Lastly, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley gave the young men gift certificates to Madam Malkin’s so they could get new robes in Diagon Alley.

It had been decided that Neville and Harry would go to the Ministry to take their Apparition tests with Mr. Weasley. After they finished opening their gifts, everyone got cleaned up and ready to leave.

Mrs. Weasley, Dora and Hermione went with Ron and the twins to their shop to pick up school things for everyone. Luna and Ginny decided to stay behind because Bill and Fleur were expected home that afternoon. After thanking everyone again for a great birthday, Harry and Neville took the Floo Network with Mr. Weasley for their tests.

By some miracle, the boys both managed to pass the test. While at the Ministry they ran into Percy and Moody, but didn’t stay to talk as they were to meet everyone else in Diagon Alley. Harry was quite anxious to talk with Remus and Dora about the acquisition of the Malfoy estates. He desperately wanted to know if they were able to obtain ownership of the Ravenclaw dagger. Just past noon, Mr. Weasley, Neville, and Harry Apparated to the Leaky Cauldron to meet their friends.

Harry remembered the busy, bustling road that had once been Diagon Alley. Its shops were a gathering place for the whole wizarding world in Harry’s mind. Now the once packed alley was near abandoned. The few shops that remained open were near vacant and the shop owners were suspicious of everyone. A gentle wind picked up from the direction of Knockturn Alley, like the calm before the storm.

Remus and Dora were whispering excitedly to each other outside of Ollivander’s old shop, clearly waiting for them all to arrive.

“We got it, Harry!” Remus whispered to his young friend.

Harry let himself smile; at last things seemed to be falling into place. Harry could see Hermione and Mrs. Weasley in the distance; they were slowly making their way toward them. Ron had been sidetracked because he saw that Quality Quidditch Supplies were selling Chudley Cannons season tickets. Though he was able to refrain from actually going in the store, he still stood at the window trying not to drool.

“We got all our school supplies, Harry, and yours of course,” Hermione said, as she and Mrs. Weasley approached him.

“Where are the twins?” Neville asked, as he took some parcels from Mrs. Weasley.

“Oh, they went to visit Lee Jordan. They will be back for dinner.”

Harry gazed down the barren streets. Gringotts stood in the distance as intimidating as it always had. The absence of hundreds of people pushing through the narrow walks was almost unnerving. Harry and Neville quickly popped in and out of Madam Malkin’s to be measured. She assured them that the robes would be sent to them in less than a week. Neville asked her to send them to his grandmother, seeing as they couldn’t divulge that they were staying at Grimmauld Place.

As they pushed their way back onto the empty street, Harry couldn’t shake an evil sense of foreboding. Perhaps it was his close proximity to the Horcrux, but Dora had shielded it. Harry looked to Remus and Dora who were clutching their left hands tightly.

“Something is wrong! This damn Indicator keeps zapping me! Maybe the spell is bad!” Remus howled, as his wife fidgeted similarly.

Harry looked down the street. Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley were strolling with each other hand in hand. Ron was watching the Lupins with interest, but Hermione was staring intently at Harry. He didn’t know how he knew, but Harry knew Hermione felt that same moment of dread.

Time quickly came to a slow crawl. Harry saw the dark hooded figures approaching them from the end of the Alley. Their jet black robes billowed behind them as they charged toward him. The few people that were not with Harry and his friends scattered into the shops, and slammed the doors behind them. There were only five Death Eaters, but one is deadly enough. He screamed at Dora to get the Aurors. One of the Death Eaters fired a shot and hit Ron directly in the neck; he fell to the ground instantly. Hermione ran to his collapsed body and stood over him with her wand out. Neville and Harry could see that Lucius Malfoy had lost his hood and was dueling with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Bellatrix Lestrange lowered her hood, with a sinister smile, as she slowly made her way to Harry and Neville. This time however, two other figures were with her.

They both shot spells at their three attackers. Harry waved his wand several times, rapidly firing hexes and curses at Lestrange. Neville hadn’t panicked, in fact he had nearly disarmed Bellatrix causing her to howl in frustration. At one point, they both hit the man standing to their left. Neither Harry nor Neville realized they had shot at him at the same time. The Death Eater clutched his stomach as he was enveloped in pain, whimpering and dying he slumped to the ground. Bellatrix screamed and ripped the hood off the fallen man’s face. She continued to throw deadly curses at Harry and Neville but it was evident that she was suffering mentally at the sudden death of her colleague. Harry barely had time to register that the dead Death Eater was Rodolphus Lestrange, her husband. The third Death Eater continued to duel with Harry as Bellatrix fired at Neville. She was able to hit Neville with the Cruciatus Curse but she couldn’t hold it very long. Neville weakly pulled himself to his feet, as Harry disarmed the unknown Death Eater. The man leapt behind Bellatrix as she again fired the Cruciatus Curse at Harry. When Harry jumped away from her spell, she summoned the man’s wand back to him and he took position to continue fighting.

At this time, Dora returned with six Aurors. The Aurors jumped into battle, three ran to help Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, who were brilliantly fighting against Lucius Malfoy, while two ran to check on Ron. He was still unconscious and Hermione had clamped a hand over his neck to yield his bleeding. One of the Aurors joined Harry and Neville to fight Bellatrix and the other Death Eater. Harry and Neville could finally see the whole of the battle on Diagon Alley. Dora was dueling Greyback alongside Remus. Harry pulled away from his battle along side Neville so he could go aid the Lupins but Bellatrix got him in the back with a Full Body Bind curse. He slammed face first into the cold, hard gravel of Diagon Alley. Greyback, along with his wand, carried a very deadly looking sword and was swinging it with grace. The blade was huge and jagged. Harry watched in horror as Remus was cursed and fell to the ground. Dora tried to fend Greyback off but he disarmed her and had stabbed her in the lower abdomen less than a moment later. Harry tried to break out of the bind to chase after Greyback as he leapt in to battle next to Malfoy, but just as the Neville threw the counter-curse at him, someone caught him by his arm.

Neville and the Auror that had taken up the duel with the Lestranges were winning the battle, but losing their opponents. Malfoy had thrown Mr. Weasley into the yellow brick wall of a building and was now dueling with Mrs. Weasley alone. Arthur Weasley weakly pulled himself back to his feet just as Malfoy shot the Cruciatus at Mrs. Weasley. She screamed the most bone chilling scream any man had ever heard as Arthur tried to fight Malfoy off of her. Bellatrix was able to make it to Malfoy’s side before they Disapparated; Greyback was able to rush forward, fight the Aurors away and collect the masked Death Eater before he too disappeared.

Neville ran to help Hermione, who was still standing but now desperately trying to wake Ron. His breathing was ragged and shallow. Her hands were stained with the red-brown hue of his blood. Ron looked extremely pale and Harry tried to fight his way out of the grip of whoever still held his arm. Hermione knelt by Ron with her eyes flooded with tears and grasped his hands. She looked up only for a moment, to catch Harry’s eye. He nodded just before she Disapparated with a thunderous ‘crack!’ Two Aurors were to another yelling that Remus and Dora were alive but only just. Harry could hear them bellowing to each other but couldn’t see them; his eyes were fixed upon a grim image just outside the weathered door of Ollivander's. Mrs. Weasley crying softly and gently petting the thinning hair of her husband. Mr. Weasley’s head lay in her lap. A soft trail of blood was streaming from his left ear and his once bright eyes were hidden by a furrowed and sweaty brow. He had died.

~*~*~*~*~*~
A/N: Only reviews will make me happy. I have the most wonderful betas in the world, just so you know.