Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Fight for Ginny by Sorn

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
10. The Malfoys

As the door to the lift opened and the friendly voice announced that they had arrived at the ninth floor, Harry saw the plain black door at the end of the windowless hallway. He thought that he would be upset by seeing that door, but he had worried about it so much over the past week that he was numb at the sight of it.

Stepping out first, the Minister quickly moved toward the door, followed by Percy, Kingsley, and Harry bringing up the rear. Ron and Hermione had headed off to see Ron’s dad. They would be meeting up with Harry back at home. Turning to the left, just before the door, they descended the flight of stairs that lead to the courtrooms. Harry did not even notice the courtroom, in which he was tried, as he passed it. All he knew was that he needed to be focused, if he let his emotions slip once there was no way this was going to work.

At the end of the hall, two guards were waiting in front of a small metal door. “Adamantine,” offered Kingsley indicating the door. Harry remembered Hermione droning on about the metal during the last study lesson they had. It was supposedly indestructible. The only way thought to destroy it was to hit it with Thor’s Hammer. Hermione had spent the better part of an hour describing Thor’s Hammer. Remembering what he was here to do, Harry quickly refocused on the task at hand as he heard the lock on the door click.

In the small room sat Lucius Malfoy, in front of him was a small table with a chair on the opposite side of him. He did not look well at all, Harry was sure he had been beaten at the very least. Lucius looked up and saw the reason he now sat in this room, that stupid little arrogant boy that had cost him everything. If it were not for that little bastard he would now be with the Dark Lord, as his right hand, and enjoying all the glory that came with it.

Sitting down across from Lucius, Harry was using every last thing he had ever learned in Occlumency lessons, wishing he had learned more. Even after Lucius spat in his face Harry betrayed nothing. Wiping the spit from his face Harry spoke, “I would like to talk to Lucius alone please?”

“I can’t allow that, Kingsley will have to stay,” the Ministers stated.

“Fair enough,” he replied.

Kingsley stepped into the room, and moving into the corner to lean against the wall. Harry turned to Kingsley asking, “Any chance we could get some pumpkin juice and some sandwiches?”

With a wave of his wand Kingsley provided Harry’s request. Lucius was looking at Harry with utter hatred, but Harry knew from the way he was looking at the plate that it had been a while since he’d had anything proper to eat. Taking a sandwich and pouring a glass of juice, Harry then pushed the plate close enough to Lucius that he could reach it despite the chains that bound his wrists.

Lucius tore into the food as Harry poured him a glass and set it with in reach. He looked from the glass to Harry with a look of suspicion on his face. Harry took a big drink from his glass then refilling it was all Lucius needed to know that the juice was not spiked with something he might not want to drink. Taking the offered glass, he drank heavily and slammed it down he returned to he sandwiches. Once again Harry filled the glass.

Minutes passed and no one spoke, it was like a battle of wills, and the first one to speak lost. Harry had been coached well by Kingsley, Tonks, and Lupin. He knew he could not address Lucius first, or he would find it very hard to get Lucius to offer up any information. Harry had argued that Kingsley should be the one to interrogate him, but it was Moody who had said that Harry should do it. He had argued that Lucius’ hatred of Harry could be used against him.

Never taking his eyes off the man before him, Harry was finding it hard not to shout at Malfoy. Harry’s hatred was just as strong as Lucius. In the end it was Harry who won the battle of wills with Lucius saying, “I assume that you did not come here to make sure I had a proper lunch.”

After a pause Harry replied, “I am here with an offer.”

The room filled with silence once again. “Stop playing childish games,” Lucius voice rose with anger.

“I am here to offer you a safe place to live out your life with you wife. The offer also means the Ministry and the Order will do everything to protect your son,” as Harry was finishing he stood up and turned to leave. Reaching for the door he added, “You know what we ask in exchange, so think about it. If your fear of Voldemort is the only thing keeping you from helping your family then you should know, the Ministry and the Order have done everything in its power to make it look like you are already working with us.”

With that Harry and Kingsley left Lucius to think it over. As the door locked behind them Harry turned to Kingsley and asked, “so, do you think he will buy it?” with a note of skepticism in his voice.

“Only time will tell, but for now we need to see if we can get Narcissa to talk,” replied Kingsley.




Moving back down the hall they were met by Percy, “The Minister wanted an update on how things went with Lucius,” he said simply. His face betrayed his tone, as he was looking worried.

“There is little to report, but it went as well as expected,” answered Harry.

“Very well, um, Harry,” he paused before starting again. “Would you join me for lunch after you’re done here?”

Harry was taken aback. He was sure Percy wanted to talk about his family. “I guess that would be all right,” he answered feeling very awkward.

Kingsley made to open the door next to him. On it was a plaque reading Wizengamot Deliberation Room.

The Deliberation Room was filled with a large conference table surrounded by over stuffed chairs. At the far end of the room stood a very sick looking Narcissa Malfoy. The past year had not been kind to her at all. She looked as though she had aged ten years.

Looking up she saw Harry and shot him a look of utter disgust. “What the hell is going on here? And why are you here?” she spat.

“I am here to make you an offer,” Harry’s tone was cold. “How would you like the chance to protect yourself, husband, and child?”

Harry sat down to detail what he was offering. “If you tell us everything you know about Riddle and his Death Eaters, I will provide a new home for you and your family. This home will be protected by every enchantment the Order and the Ministry can offer, and this would include the Fidelius Charm. I also promise that one of the first things we would do is try and get Draco away from the Death Eaters.”

He paused before continuing as everything hung on what he said next. If she knew that he was lying this would not work. “I know that your son’s life has not been good since he failed to kill Dumbledore.”

Putting up a stoic front, Narcissa tried to hide her feelings for her son and what had become of his life, but even without Harry’s limited knowledge with Legilimency, her eyes betrayed her. With his stomach strangling his heart Harry pressed on, “Lucius has agreed to give information in order to protect you.”

There it is, the lie that was needed to push Narcissa into talking. The Order knew that even if Lucius was to provide information it would be old and most likely not true anymore. Narcissa’s knowledge of what Riddle was up to was far more current.

“You’re lying,” Narcissa spat. “Lucius would never betray the Dark Lord.”

“Not even to save his wife?” Harry paused, “Or his son?” his eyes never leaving Narcissa’s. “You’re right to think that he would not talk to us, that was until we told him what had become of his beloved family. He knows better then anybody the wrath of Tom Riddle, with the exception of your son of course,” added Harry hoping to push her farther.

The battle within Narcissa was obvious to Harry, but unsure what to do next he just sat there and waited. After waiting what seemed like an eternity Narcissa looked up, “I will not tell you a thing until I am sure my son is safe.”

With a snort Harry stood. “Done, just as soon as you tell me were we can find him,” Harry’s tone betrayed his disgust for Narcissa.

Yet again Narcissa made him wait before she answered, “Very well, I will give you no more than you need to find Draco.”




An hour later Harry and Kingsley stepped out of the Wizengamot Deliberation Room. Percy quickly began pelting the pair with questions about the interrogation. Kingsley was able to calm him, and informed him that they need to talk with the Minister. Once the Minister was brought up to speed, Harry took his leave and allowed the Ministry to handle retrieving Draco. He, along with the rest of the Order, did not trust the Ministry to do the job right, but the Order did not have the manpower to pull off the raid.

Deep in thought about the day’s events, Harry was startled when Percy greeted him as the elevator lifts opened on the Atrium. “If you don’t mind, I had hoped you were still willing to have lunch with me?”

If Percy had not looked so utterly pathetic Harry would have said no, but he knew how happy Mrs. Weasley would be to see her estranged son. “Ok,” he answered.