Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Too Sweet to Remember by Canadian Confessional

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: For anyone who ever wanted to know...
~Epilogue~




Lily watched the dust particles swirl up into a beam of sunlight coming from her open dormitory window as she shut her trunk swiftly. Running her fingers gently through her tangled crimson hair, she exhaled as she peered around the room.

Sleeping in three other scarlet draped four poster beds were all three of her dormitory mates still fast asleep. Lily smiled to herself as she took a moment to absorb the silence (which was rare for the room usually filled with laughs, gossip, and commotion) that filled the room. She adjusted the strap of her brown book bag on her shoulder and grasped the handle of her trunk.

Somewhere within her, Lily was overcome by an odd wish; a wish that this sixth year at Hogwarts wasn’t ending. She felt it strange that she was sad to see the summer. Usually, she would be ecstatic to go back home and relax away from all the studying and drama of school, but this year, she wanted desperately to turn back the hands of time to February or even just till May. She wanted anything, something, to delay time.

“I- I’ll play second base…”

Lily’s recollections were snapped, and she turned her immediate attention to a girl in a nearby bed with wavy, flowing, chestnut coloured hair. Lily stifled a giggle as she watched her friend, Bree, toss over on one side and start mumbling about playing forward in a football game.

Taking a large inhale, Lily shook her head (which reassured herself), walked to the oak door of her dormitory, opened the door quickly and soundlessly, slipped outside onto the girls’ stairs, and closed the door behind her gently.

As she made her way along a fifth level corridor, her mind wandered. She recalled all the events that highlighted her memorable (at times confusing but exciting) sixth year. Her year (being a prefect and having an even larger homework load than last year) was extremely busy and often times stressful, but she did find ways to divert her frustration. Her clearest recollection, however, of releasing her frustration was when she dueled with James Potter.

That day had been filled with listless and boring lectures from professors, finishing a four page Transfiguration essay, fatigue from staying up late the previous night, and a slight argument with Bree before dinner in the Great Hall. So, upon seeing James Potter doing one of his childish pranks at the expense of others finally sparked a fire within her cool interior. She was more than glad to duel with him to release her anger. She had to admit that at the end of the duel, her nerves had been relaxed and her focus renewed.

Even though she felt overloaded with work and responsibilities, she did make time for other, more valuable activities. She remembered fondly staying up late on Friday nights with the girls in her dormitory gossiping, having pillow fights, laughing, and on occasion playing “risky” poker where instead of using betting chips, they would substitute Firewhisky or cheap mulled mead smuggled in from Hogsmeade.

Amanda (the rather “sensible” of the group as she was called by the other three) and Jamie (although Jamie was in Hufflepuff House) had always been against the under-aged drinking concept. Nonetheless, Lily and Bree’s persuasive (often rebellious) attitude was too addicting and overpowering for the two girls. In the end, even Jamie joined in and was sometimes not present in her own common room in the morning on the following Saturday due to a slight hangover.

Lily’s reflection of enjoyment about all the fun times that she and her friends had had together took an odd turn though as she rounded a corner of the third floor.

For some unexplainable reason, her mind stumbled back to her and Brendan. She recalled how she first caught sight of the Hufflepuff boy across the Great Hall during the ending ceremonies of fifth year. She had to admit that Brendan’s tall, handsome figure did draw her in at first. What could be better than an athletic (seeing as he was the Hufflepuff Quidditch Captain), popular, good-looking guy? He was a rather shy character though, and if it wasn’t for Lily’s persistence to get to know him better, nothing would have happened at all. Brendan proved to be an intelligent fellow with a realistic sense of humor, although somewhere within Lily longed for him to say something more or to be more spontaneous. There was always something missing.

She sighed lightly as she remembered with clarity his exact words.

~


“Lily, just listen to me,” he said with desperation as she turned away from him.

He grasped her gently by the shoulder. “I care about you so much.”

She whipped around with her breath caught in her throat, outrage bubbling through her skin.

“Don’t say that if you don’t mean it,” she replied coldly before exhaling. “Don’t you dare say that.”

She brushed his hand from her shoulder roughly and turned to walk from the grounds back into the school where she would just have to cope and convince herself that Brendan wasn’t intellectual enough (which she initially presumed) to see her qualities.

“Lily! I meant it, alright!” called Brendan, and she stopped.

She found herself in an unusual and rare situation: she was uncertain and unsure of herself.

A bolt of lightning touched down in the distance, and the brooding, dark clouds above began to drop bucketfuls of typical England rainfall.

“I care about you, Lily, and that is the reason why I see it’s not going to work. I know you don’t feel the same way as I do. You want- no- you need somebody else.”

Her back was still turned to him as she watched the rain continue to fall. She felt with discomfort that her shirt was getting soaked through and through. Her hair was beginning to stick to the sides of her cheeks.

“I don’t need somebody else!” she retorted while spinning around. “Brendan I told you that I…”

Lily trailed off as she observed his broken expression.

“Don’t,” he started as his chestnut coloured hair appeared almost black due to the rain, “don’t you dare say that.”

He shook his head slightly as he approached her. “You don’t know what you want, because you aren’t accepting what you really need.”

Then, without warning, he embraced her and whispered, “I wish you luck with James Potter. He is one lucky guy.”

~


Lily rolled her eyes wearily as she adjusted the strap of her bag. Pushing open the Entrance Hall doors, her lungs were met with a heave of fresh spring, morning air. Tightening her grip on her trunk, she made her way onto the pathway leading to the train station.

Normally, she would have taken a stagecoach down to the station (which was quite a distance from the castle), but somewhere within her wanted to enjoy the morning. Besides, she had woken up earlier than usual and thought that she was obliged to do so.


Of course breaking up with somebody was always difficult. Everybody knew that; male or female. Lily Evans had had her share of romances and heart ache, but the reason why she panicked (panicked enough to get drunk and roam the halls aimlessly) after Brendan broke up with her was still a mystery. Was it because she really did like him in a different, more affectionate light? No, no, it wasn’t that. She had realized that by now. What was different than all the other break-ups, then?


With relief, Lily caught site of the Hogsmeade station, and she shoveled her hair behind her shoulders. Walking over, she noted that she was the first prefect (first anyone, actually) there. Climbing onto the empty, red train, she found a compartment to place her bag and trunk in.

The walk had caused her to heat up slightly and even though her cheeks were rosy from the crisp air, her body was hot. Taking off her robe, she placed it on top of her bag carelessly and rolled up the sleeves of her shirt. As she loosened her tie uncomfortably, the silence of the train caught her attention. Suddenly and spontaneously, she stopped all movement and closed her eyes to listen to the emptiness consume her.


James Potter. Why had Brendan mentioned James Potter of all people? Sure, he had the majority of Hogwarts crazy about him and the other “Marauders”. Yes, he was also a rather talented Quidditch player. Why though would Brendan say Lily Evans of all people would like James Potter? Almost all of the student body knew that Lily despised (though was entertained by) the Marauders and most of all, the ringleader, James. He was arrogant about his abilities on the field and in class. Lily sometimes wondered how his bloated head was able to stay on his shoulders. Also, the fact that he asked her out every chance he got also put him on her “people-not-worth-my-time” list. Amused but unimpressed, Lily remained stubborn to fact: Potter equals immature forever.

Although, Lily had to confess (which she hated doing) that there was a noticeable change within James this year. There was that whole incident in the Forbidden Forest with Fang and the Centaurs. Then, there was that tutoring note to that fourth year girl, and Lily discovered that James Potter could play the piano (though not at a very high level). However, the tune of the duet still came to her mind every so often…


SSSSHHHHH!

Lily’s oval eyes sparked open immediately as she heard the sound of the train door slide open. Tucking a strand of crimson hair behind her ear, she hurried out of her compartment into the hallway to see a teen with slightly graying almond coloured hair.

“Remus!” called Lily, and she walked over to him with a friendly smile. “A little late, aren’t we?” she teased as she grasped his book bag to help him.

He raised an amused eyebrow. “I guess I am. I bet the whole school is already here.”

“Of course they are! Just look at this train,” Lily stated mockingly as she pointed to the empty compartments.

Remus chuckled softly as he followed Lily into a compartment where she placed his book bag overhead.

“I hope this year Lee doesn’t come late. We had our hands full with all the first years last year,” said Lily as Remus placed his trunk overhead as well.

“I know what you mean. I think I almost missed the train because I was too busy looking out for any last minute stragglers,” he replied tiredly as the two stepped into the hallway of the train.

Lily giggled lightly as both of them continued to talk casually on their way outside onto the platform.


During the Hogwarts Christmas Party, Lily was excited like a small child eagerly awaiting Christmas morning. She and Brendan had just begun dating, and she couldn’t wait to spend time with him at the party. While she danced away to the music with her friends, ate and drank, and laughed, she had to concede something. She had actually caught site of James a couple of times dancing away with a few girls. The odd thing was not all the girls were popular and beautiful. They were plain, unpopular, and normally invisible.

A pang of guilt went through her momentarily for thinking that he was going to bring some kinky, poorly dressed seventh year in an attempt to make her jealous. The fact was she wouldn’t have been jealous if he did bring such a girl, but she was envious of the plain girls he did dance with.

Why don’t you ask him? she had thought at the time as she observed James unnoticeably from a distance.

It wouldn’t have been a big deal. Brendan respected and trusted her, and she had told him how she owed James for something (though she never explained all the details of the Forbidden Forest expedition).

Would James get the wrong impression though?

They were on rather friendly terms when she kept him company up at the Hospital Wing, and Lily wasn’t sure whether or not James knew about her dating Brendan Fraser.

She had to take into account that she was starting to feel that James Potter's attempts for her could actually be genuine.

Would I be leading him on? Do I want to put him and myself in such an awkward situation?

Shaking her head and exhaling sharply, she headed back over toward the punch table.

Throughout the night, Lily tried her best to avoid James, and it worked. Every time she saw him, she would either go into a large group of people surrounding the treats table, cross the room, or (if there was no other choice) hurriedly go to the bathroom. It wasn’t until there was a deafening silence that came over the room pierced with argument that Lily came eye-to-eye with James Potter.

He was bleeding heavily from his nose, and the one side of his glasses was brutally shattered. She surveyed his ensuing confusion and humiliation after Sirius had left, and when he abruptly turned to face her, she had no idea what to do. Questioning herself, she remained by Brendan’s side, conveying a sad expression to him until a younger girl grasped him by the hand and led him out the Great Hall and out of sight.

Lily never did find out exactly what had occurred between Sirius, the fourth year, and James, but her curiosity was satisfied when she saw James and Sirius once again themselves after Winter Break.


“You just put your trunk and bag overhead in the compartment you will be traveling in,” explained Lily to a shy first year girl before pointing in the direction of a train door.

Sighing, she glanced up to see a pet cat chase a mouse around a student holding some books in hand until the student tripped and fell in a heap.

“This is going to be a while,” whispered Lily under her breath before proceeding to help the fallen student.


Then, there was the Quidditch match in February. Being an avid fan (though she rather stay on the ground and not get her teeth nailed out by a Bludger), she was excited for the match against Hufflepuff for two reasons. One was because she wanted to boast to Brendan that Gryffindor was the better team. The second reason was because she enjoyed getting caught up in the crowd’s enthusiasm and excitement.

As she watched the match, she found herself overcome with an unusual feeling while watching Brendan. She had never dated someone who could impress her so much with his quick skill on the Quidditch field. She felt herself blush somewhat foolishly with pride that Brendan was her boyfriend. Just as she smiled though, she became aware of something extraordinary going on. Leaning over the edge eagerly (with the rest of the crowd), she saw James competing to try and catch the Snitch; an obvious Quidditch foul.

At that moment, something was triggered within her. She wasn’t just angry for James trying to ruin his team’s chances with his stupidity, but she was angry at herself for believing he had truly and genuinely changed. The fact was, he had proved her wrong, and she resented him for it.

Scowling, she instinctively made her way down the stands. She heard Bree and Jamie calling after her, but she ignored them completely as she quickly found a small hiding place underneath the bleachers. Whipping out her wand, she muttered a spell soundlessly before flicking her wrist fluently to produce an almost invisible spark that made its way from the stands to hit James Potter’s glasses dead on.

Her plan had worked, and he faltered just enough for Brendan to snatch the Golden Snitch right from under his nose.


“Remus!” called Lily after she had stolen a glance from her wrist watch. “Where is Lee?!”

Remus looked over his shoulder as he herded a few second years into a nearby train door.

“Is he not here?!” asked Remus incredulously.

“What?!” she yelled, straining her ears to try and hear him over the hustle and bustle of the students going on and off the platform. “What did you say?!”

She could see Remus say something but was unsure of exactly what it was.

“Great,” she muttered as she rolled her eyes, “just great.”


As the Hufflepuff team embraced Brendan in a massive wave of hugs, Lily silently made her way behind the bleachers and down onto the ground. Once there, she caught Brendan on his way to the change room and explained to him that she had something to do and not to wait up for her. Slightly confused, Brendan nodded before watching her run off in the direction of the Gryffindor change room.

After purposely waiting for all the other Gryffindor Quidditch players (so as not to embarrass James) to leave, she quietly headed into the change room knowing exactly what she was going to say. To her dismay, James Potter had a sharper tongue than she had first expected.

He produced many comebacks, some hitting closer to home than he probably knew. The little things that she kept inside, the small things that no one knew she wondered about, James mentioned. The way she always wanted to be right, her stubbornness, and her occasional self-centered point of view were just the few that James had mentioned before telling her “the big confession”.

“Whatever your plans are, they will no longer include me, because it’s over, Evans. It’s over.”

After he had said it, she bubbled up with so many conflicting emotions. Her pride and her conscience clashed violently within her before being taken over by a sudden coolness that came from nowhere.

Why had she been so cold with her reply? Shouldn’t she have said something more compassionate, more forgiving?

When Lily walked away, she felt an odd, disappointing sadness reside inside her even though her logic had clearly pointed out that there was nothing to feel sad about. She should be happy (overjoyed even) that she no longer had to worry about a new way to shoot down Potter’s requests. Was she worried about his requests though? Did she perhaps enjoy out-witting him and actually (dare she even think it) joking around with the messy haired teen? Did she take pride in toying around with his feelings? Was it actually she who wasn’t serious about anything? Could she be the immature one?


“Bloody hell,” cursed Lily under her breath as she saw the other prefect, Lee, running toward the train to help.

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” he panted with his trunk in his hand and clothing hanging out of it. “My dorm mates turned my alarm clock off for a cruel joke, and I tried waking up by myself, but my natural clock is a bit wayward and- “

“Lee,” started Lily with an unimpressed eyebrow raised, “just shut-up and help.”


After the February Quidditch match, Lily refrained from having any interaction with James Potter, although that wasn’t too difficult. He no longer stared all dreamy-eyed at her and begged to talk to her everyday. On the contrary, he was outright indifferent, and no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t help feel irritated by his new demeanor.

What happened to that cocky exterior? What happened to the James that she grew to find amusing, even admiring.

It bugged her to the point that she would even point it out to Brendan, who was clearly uninterested in the topic of “James Potter”.

“Don’t you find it strange that he is not doing anything?” asked Lily one night when she was finishing homework with Brendan in the library.

Brendan surveyed his parchment before jotting something down with his quill.

“I don’t know. Maybe he is just maturing up,” he replied with unconcern.

In the end, Lily’s thoughts would work their way back to how she didn’t say something more apologetic to him in February.

One night, after she tossed in bed filled with sleeplessness, she went down to the common room (wrapped in a small blanket) and watched the last dying flames in the vast Gryffindor fireplace.

Her words of apology she would have said to him that day repeated in her head over and over again. At a point, she wished more than ever that James Potter was reading her mind and was going to appear at the bottom of the boys’ dormitory stairs at any moment. Then, she would confess to him exactly what she wanted to say two months ago. To her disappointment, however, no such thing happened, and she ended up going back upstairs an hour later to toss in bed once again.

Little did she know that James Potter was awake. He was tossing in bed, regretting his actions. Just like her.

Luckily for her, her chance for an apology would come, even though it wasn’t in words.

As she watched a blind James Potter dangling from his Nimbus, her logic was taken over by a sudden rush of rash emotions. Without saying a word, she dashed from Brendan’s side (ignoring his calls after her) and went down to her little hiding spot beneath the bleachers. Swiftly taking out her wand, she watched as the jet-black haired teen released the grip on his broom, grasped the Golden Snitch, and headed straight for the ground. Whispering an incantation, she sent it straight for James Potter, and for the second time, she hit him dead on.

His fall slowed by a sudden, “mysterious” gust of wind, and he got to the ground to be surrounded by cheers and hugs.

Lily smiled.

Action speaks louder than words. she had thought triumphantly at the time.

Unfortunately, Brendan had thought the same thing.

He felt his girlfriend was distant, and her constant mentioning of James Potter caught more of his attention than he let on. As soon as he saw James’s fall being slowed by someone other than James himself, Brendan knew it was none other than Lily.


Glancing around somewhat frantically, Lily made sure that no one got left behind. Lee had done a horrible job, as usual, with helping the other prefects. Now, the only ones remaining on the platform were Remus and Lily.

“We made it!” Lily heard one student yell from behind her.
She whipped around to see a couple third year students running toward the train.

“Hurry up!” called Lily before whispering under her breath, “Third years…”

Sighing, she tucked a few stray strands of crimson hair behind her ear wearily before gazing off into space. Waking up early and walking down had taken a toll on her, not to mention yelling and organizing all the students was energy draining.

As she shook her head thoughtlessly, she got the odd feeling as if she was being watched, observed even. Turning her head slightly, she caught site of a jet-black coloured, messy haired, bespectacled teen. Instantly and without explanation, her green eyes were locked with his hazel ones.

He was smiling at her, but it wasn’t that usual cheesy smile she was used to when he asked her out or made a fool of himself. Nor was it a cocky, show-off smirk, but something different. She couldn’t quite put a finger on it, but it was a charming smile, a smile knowing something that she didn’t, but not in a boasting or superior way. In a sense, she found it intriguing but at the same time not.

Hesitant of exactly what to do, she smiled back at him in an unsure way as the two were lost in each other.

Lily had forgotten completely about her prefect duties, the train leaving soon, and even where she was. All she knew at that moment was James Potter and her were having an unexplainable connection that couldn’t and wouldn’t wait.

His lips were curved into a smile, but his large hazel eyes were big and sad as if he were hurt; wounded. Suddenly, she could see within him and feel something was broken, like there was a cut too deep to heal, and for the oddest reason, Lily felt that the world was oblivious to his pain. Only she could see his sadness, anguish, and agony, only her.

At that moment than ever before, she wanted to run over to him, grasp him by the his rugged shirt collar, and tell him not only how sorry she was, but also why she did what she did, and how she really felt about him. For some reason though, she dared not to step any closer to him in fear that doing so would result in her telling him the truth.

Why didn’t she want to tell him the truth though? What was so wrong about that?

Then, as if on cue, the whistle of the train burst into the air, and James abruptly (breaking the connection) clambered onto the train.

Dashing to the nearest train door herself (after an uncertain, momentarily pause), Lily jumped on just in time right before the red steam engine began to move.

You’ll never know the truth, will you James? she thought to herself as she leaned against the closed train door that vibrated from the roar of the engine. You’ll never know.

Exhaling sharply to regain her composure, she made her way down the hallway of the train filled with excited chatter and conversations about the future.


When Lily woke up in James Potter’s room the day after her little “break-up-drinking” escapade, she could have gotten the complete and utter wrong impression. Waking up in a guy’s dormitory after being drunk in a night she could barely remember at all didn’t usually add up to the most pleasing results. Luckily for Lily and James, she knew that he meant well, and even though he might be- no- he used to be an arrogant prat, he was definitely not a disgusting pervert. The thought she had as soon as she gathered herself and discovered where she had woken up was that James Potter had bailed her out once again. He had watched her back when her immaturity had turned it ever so slightly.


Coming up on her compartment, she leaned against the door to hear laughter and out-spoken talk going on.

“Did I miss something?” asked Lily with a mischievous grin as she slid open the door, stepped inside, and slid it closed behind her.

“Nothing much, Evans,” replied Bree as she lay down a pair of cards on two stacked up trunks in the middle of the compartment which was being used as a poker table. “Beat that bitches!”

“I just might,” retaliated Amanda Hall as she lay down her cards. “Yeah, what are you going to say about that?”

“Huh?! How is that possible?!” questioned Bree as she stroked her hands through her curly, chestnut coloured hair.

“Oh, it’s possible,” added Emily Howard, the third girl in the compartment.

“So, what will it be? Truth, dare, or nick Sirius Black’s knickers?” asked Amanda triumphantly with her arms crossed and her straight, chocolate brown hair tucked neatly behind her ears.

“Obviously not the third choice,” shot back Bree unenthusiastically. “What’s the point of having that choice anyway? No one ever picks it.”

“Well, Lily’s done it,” pointed out Emily matter-of-factly as Bree rolled her eyes.

“That’s wrong, girl,” said Bree while turning toward Lily.

Lily shrugged with a broad grin as she sat down next to Bree. “I did it, didn’t I?”


“Hey, guys,” began Sirius suddenly as the Marauders were in mid-conversation about their sixth year, “I just remembered that I never found my mysterious missing pair of knickers.”

The three turned toward him with raised eyebrows.

“You mean the sheep patterned ones?” inquired James.

“Yeah, those were the ones.”

After a few seconds of odd silence, the Marauders broke into extreme laughter.

“Maybe some crazy chick from ‘the list’ stole them,” offered James while laughing with the three other Marauders.

“Maybe, eh?”


The train ride had been long, but surrounded by her friends, Lily felt that the destination in London came just a bit too soon. As the train pulled in, the four girls were still talking about doing something over the summer together and joking around about life.

“Don’t worry, I’ll promise to bring the g-cracks if we go hiking this summer,” joked Emily, and the other three burst into laughter.

Lily grasped her trunk and bag overhead as the other three were beginning to file out of the compartment.

Heading outside, Lily’s oval-shaped eyes were met with a sea of students, parents, friends, and relatives all mixed together. The scene was as if it came from a chaotic Picasso painting.

Some things never change. thought Lily to herself.

“Lily!” called somebody, and it took a second of her searching through the vast crowd to see Jamie standing by her parents while waving her over.

Grinning, Lily headed in her direction.

“Hey,” she said before embracing Jamie warmly. “Thanks, looking for my parents would have taken almost forever in this mess.”

She giggled lightly.

Walking over to her parents and sister, Petunia, Lily hugged her dad tightly and then her mother. Breaking away, she turned toward Petunia with a smile that was full of gladness to see her stubborn and lanky sister once again.

“Hey, Peony,” addressed Lily jokingly while re-adjusting her book bag strap.

“Hi,” replied Petunia coolly, even though Lily saw a flicker of a smile come from the bony-necked girl.

“Lily!”

Whipping around, Lily was met with hugs from her four Gryffindor dorm mates.

“Thought you’d leave without saying a proper goodbye?” teased Emily jokingly as she pushed her burgundy coloured hair aside.

“We have to do this camping trip, OK?” added Bree, and Amanda slung an arm around Emily. “You too, Jamie, you’ve got to come!”

“Camping? Sounds like a plan,” answered Jamie excitedly.

“I’m pretty sure my parents can accommodate me going away for a week or so,” said Lily as she shot a glance at her parents immersed in conversation with Amanda’s parents, and Petunia glancing down at her feet in discomfort.

“Pictures anyone?” asked Emily’s older brother enthusiastically who seemed to pop out of nowhere.

“Please, Kenton, no pictures,” whined Emily, but the other four girls were already striking poses.

“C’mon, Howard!” shouted Bree as she got into a “peace” sign pose. “Get into the picture already!”

Rolling her eyes with amusement, she reluctantly struck a pose as Kenton Howard shot the picture.

After some last minute laughs, summer plan making, and a thousand hugs later, the five girls finally knew they had to part. Each waving goodbye to the end, they went their separate ways with their respective families.

Lily still had a smile spread wildly across her face as she walked a little bit behind her parents and sister leaving the station.

What a weird year. she thought as she avoided a group of chatting seventh year teens. So many things happened, but everything seemed to turn out alright. Even though all the events weren’t the best, I learned and grew from them. I guess that that is just life. It’s always unpredictable, different, and joyous all at the same time. The best things happen when you least expect them to and that’s what makes it so beautiful. The thing I learned this year above all else though is that certain things people feel and emotion truly does get people caught up in the moment. For goodness sake, I was almost thinking of going up to James Potter and saying- no- telling him something. I don’t even know what I would have said. I doubt he likes me even remotely anymore especially after the Quidditch match in February. I have to say it was a good thing I didn’t do anything. I would have made a fool of myself…

Moving around a couple more students and parents, Lily’s green eyes were met with a site that made her stomach lurch oddly.

You wanted to say sorry, Lily. Why not now? You aren’t going to see him for two months. Just say it, or you’ll regret it. Just do it. Just say it.

As she began to approach James, her heart beat sped up, and she was torn between her choices.

Say it. Don’t do it. Just say it. Say it. Say something.

Exhaling coolly, she brushed him on the back with her slender hand to get his attention before saying with a sparkling smile, “Have a good summer, Potter.”

“You too, Evans,” he replied with a slightly taken aback but warm smile.

Turning, she walked away carrying a bright smile across her soft lips, although somewhere inside her felt empty.

She hadn’t said anything- at least- she hadn’t said what she wanted to say.

What was so wrong with saying sorry, to admit she was (for once) wrong?

Sighing as a sweep of a warm breeze passed through her crimson hair, she glanced up at the flawless blue sky above her.

There’ll be other chances, Evans. Cheer up. You have a seventh year to look forward to, and besides, it is the summer. Enjoy yourself, don’t worry so much about it.

As she turned the corner, she felt herself step into the feeling of listless nights and long, hot days that came with the summer season.

Somewhere within her heart she knew that her school year had ended, and with it, her days of childish, immature, and naive actions. She was getting older, and the reality of being independent in the world was not a far cry from now. Stepping into this new world of adults, choices, and important decisions meant that at that moment, she was ending a part of her life. For some unexplainable reason though, she wasn't afraid to step forward to face her future. On the contrary, she knew that there were plenty more adventures and experiences to come, and that a new chapter of her life was only just about to be written.

~END~




A/N: Hi everyone! Well, this is it. I’d like to make this short so as not to take up too much of your time, but what I want to say is: THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’ve had a memorable and amazing time writing this story, and everyone’s reads, reviews, and comments have been most appreciated. I feel so honored to have people who will read my story. I couldn’t have done it without all of you! I might write a sequel, but right now, I just need some relax/down time. Special thanks to the moderators and J.K. Rowling for creating such an amazing world to frolic in! Thanks, it’s been an unforgettable ride.