Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Too Sweet to Remember by Canadian Confessional

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~Chapter Five~

The Stag



“Prongs, didn’t think you’d show up, because we haven’t seen you in a while,” remarked Sirius.

James just shrugged his shoulders with a grin as he peered at the glittering light of the full moon reflecting off the snow.

The three Marauders (James, Sirius and Peter) were quietly walking across the grounds outside trying with difficulty to keep the invisibility cloak on to conceal all of them. They carefully made sure that no one else was around and traveled in the shadows so as not to be seen. Their breath was visible in the frost bitten time of winter as the end of November started to come to an end.

Peter rushed across the snow behind a bush and after much deliberation, signaled to the other two to follow. The three of them poked their heads out from a bush to see a huge, thick based tree that gave out an eerie feel to it; the Whomping Willow.

Sirius and James glanced at Peter who nodded his head and started to dash towards the tree. Instantly, the large tree started to stir slightly at Peter’s sudden approach and began to shake even more the closer he came. Then, suddenly, Peter’s legs started to shrink shorter and smaller, and his ears rounded a bit more. His mousy features started to become even more visible and within a few seconds where a sixteen boy used to stand there was a small rat fumbling across the snow clumsily. The rat was too small to be hit by the Whomping Willow, and it crawled into a small hole at the base of the tree. As soon as Peter was inside, the Willow stopped as if it were frozen in time or paralyzed.

Acting hastily, James and Sirius ran towards the tree. Sirius’ sexy black hair seemed to grow into fur around his face and neck. His feet turned into large paws, and his arms went forward so he was on all fours. Sirius’ nose pushed out and his jaw grew. James also went onto all fours, and his fingers and toes molded into hooves. On the top his head sprung two antlers, his neck extended somewhat, and his back curved gracefully. The black dog and the tall stag both made their way to the bottom of the Whomping Willow and disappeared.

After a dark and creaky pathway, the three animals emerged inside the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade. The small place had tattered curtains and scratched wooden floors. The furnishings (such as the bed and couch) appeared to be clawed and gnawed at. The boarded up windows allowed almost no moonlight in, and a mirror placed on one wall was half-shattered. The smell inside was musty and stuffed. Sitting on the ragged bed was Remus Lupin in his werewolf form scratching and biting himself fiercely as he howled agonizingly in pain.

The black dog immediately jumped onto the bed in an attempt to calm Remus down. The stag glanced around and walked about as the rat followed. The three waited for Remus to relax and be able to retain some control. About an hour later, the three animagi and the werewolf headed out into the streets of Hogsmeade.

The lamps along the cobblestone roads let off a soft glow as they passed. James hurried over to the window of Honeydukes, which was obviously closed, and Peter scuttled along beside Sirius and Remus cautiously looking out for any people. James ran back toward Sirius and bumped him gently with his antlers. Sirius, knowing this to be a challenge for a race, started to take off at a sprint, and Remus followed. James scooped Peter on top of his back with his horns and ran gracefully after Sirius trying to surpass him.

When they reached the Hog’s Head, James with Peter had pulled into first place, then Sirius, and finally Remus. James did a somewhat mocking trot around Sirius, and Peter flew off of James’ antlers in the process. Sirius lunged at James, toppling him over. They wrestled in the snow until a few squeaks from Peter signified somebody was approaching. Quickly, James and Sirius nudged Remus over into the alleyway as the passerby went by. Exhaling sharply, James signaled that they should head back toward the Shrieking Shack. Peter and Sirius seemed to agree as they walked back through the streets and back.

Once inside, James laid down comfortably on the bed as Sirius licked his paw by the fireplace. Peter tried to entertain by doing flipping tricks off the bed, which seemed to mesmerize Remus somewhat. James yawned, and finally Sirius let out a bark of annoyance. Peter stopped instantly, and Sirius went into the tunnel to go out onto the Hogwarts grounds. The other three followed obediently. The crisp air filled their noses once again, and Sirius ran around the snow happily. James trotted across the grounds and back all the while feeling the cold snow underneath his hooves. Remus seemed to be chasing after Sirius, and Peter was digging a hole into the snow.

The four Marauders spent the rest of the evening racing and running around the Hogwarts grounds. Eventually, the moon started to fade, and the sun was starting to peak up.

When they retreated to the Shrieking Shack, Remus transformed back immediately. His face was extremely pale, and the top of his forehead was pearled with sweat. Pain was evident in his face. Peter instantly transformed back into his normal human form and same with the other two boys. James undid his scarf and placed it on the bed as he fanned himself lightly. Clearly, the transformation made him heat up slightly. Sirius patted Remus on the back warmly.

“It’s over buddy,” he said with a comforting tone as the four made their way back toward Hogwarts.

Mid-way through the tunnel, James grasped the back of his rumpled hair and realized he had forgotten his Gryffindor scarf back inside the Shrieking Shack. Insisting that he would meet them in the Great Hall for breakfast later, he gave Sirius his invisibility cloak because he found it too troublesome to carry it all the way back and forth, and dashed hurriedly in the other direction of the others.

By the time James had emerged from the Whomping Willow, the sun was already blazing brightly in the east. The sky had a bit of orange and pink tint to it that would eventually turn to a clear blue. A chilly wind went by picking up some snow and making it dance around the grounds.

James wrapped the scarf around his neck comfortably to warm himself. Walking across the grounds while admiring the sun rise, James had not noticed that someone else had emerged onto the grounds as well.

The girl inhaled deeply. The cold air filled her lungs sharply, and she made her way to the bottom of the steps of the entrance. She was dressed in brown shoes, faded jeans, a thick navy jacket, and she had a white winter hat on top of her head. Her hands (which were covered with navy gloves) were in her pockets in order to keep them warm. Around her neck, she wore her Gryffindor scarf, and her face was done lightly with pink eye shadow and crimson lip stick.

As James rounded the corner, he stopped dead in his tracks at the site of her. The sound of his footsteps in the snow attracted her attention, and she glanced over to see who it was. Instinctively swinging out of site, James heard her move through the snow, her steps getting closer and closer. He glanced over next to him to see if there was anywhere he could hide behind. Unfortunately, all that was present was the castle wall and snow. The footsteps continued to come…

“Jamie?” Lily asked excitedly as she turned the corner.
To her amazement, she came face to face with a beautiful, graceful stag. Slightly taken aback, she noticed that it was peering at her intently and curiously. It seemed to take in her figure, her flushed cheeks from the cold, and her flowing auburn hair.

James could not believe what he had just done.

It would have been better if I just got caught. thought James with panic. Did she see me? Does she know? Will she find out?

To his astonished surprise, she was starting to approach him cautiously with her hand extended as she murmured under her breath about how she wouldn’t hurt him. He surprised himself by taking a slow step toward her so she could touch him. She pat the side of his cheek and around his neck gently. He lowered his head and brushed the side of his cheek against her shoulder making sure not to hit her with his antlers.

Suddenly, he heard more footsteps around the entrance Lily had come from, and someone calling out for her. She retrieved her hand from James and looked behind her shoulder, but when she glanced back, the stag was already dashing away around the corner and out of sight.



A million voices went through James Potter’s head as he made his way up the seventh floor to the Gryffindor common room. He struggled with two sides of himself that were battling it out fiercely within him.

One side was the voice of reason.

Why had he been so foolish? A thousand things could have gone wrong. She could have seen him transform, she would have known, and she would have reported it. What would he do then? Would he be expelled? It wouldn’t be long before Sirius and Peter would be discovered. Then how would Remus cope?

The other side pulled rapidly at his heart strings.

She did touch him though. Actually touched him! He also touched her! Had he ever been so close? She also would have caught him, so it was good, quick thinking to transform. She didn’t see, so there wasn’t a problem, was there?

He went through the portrait hole and sprinted up to his room, panting hard. With frustration and exasperation he whipped off his coat and scarf, flung them on the floor carelessly, and flopped on his back onto the bed.

Then, one final question that tortured him screamed out louder and harder than any of the other voices: Who is Jamie?



“WHAT HAPPENED?!” shouted Sirius looking gawk-eyed at Naomii.

James, after day-dreaming on his bed for twenty minutes, just entered the Great Hall and sat down next to Remus.

“I told you, Black,” replied Naomii with a tone of bluntness. “The word about the Christmas party got out and reached Professor McGonagall.”

“So now what are we- “

“I haven’t explained everything! Gosh! That’s the problem with you, you never let a girl finish!”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” said Sirius apologetically.

“Anyways… She said that a Christmas party was a great idea, except for the alcohol part, and she also told me she was sick of Professor Slughorn always holding one. She said she’d get back to me, and two days later, she called me down to her office.”

Naomii paused for theatrical effect as she flicked back her hazel hair and adjusted her glasses.

“She said that she talked to the other Heads of House and Professor Dumbledore, and they all finally agreed that because of the huge amount of homework lately, and the fact that individual House parties leave some students out, that they would hold one big Christmas party in the Great Hall starting at 7:00 P.M. on December 13th.”

“SERIOUSLY?!” exclaimed Sirius gleefully.

“Totally serious,” answered Naomii. “Notices are being posted this weekend, and I am now officially the head organizer. It’s one galleon for entrance at the door. ”

“This is great!” chimed in Peter enthusiastically.

“Alright, so I’ll see you boys there. Tell as many people as possible while you’re at it!”

“Naomii,” Sirius started as he beamed at her brightly, “you’re amazing.”

“Well, I do try my best,” she replied and was off toward her first class.

“Did you hear that, mate?” asked Sirius as he turned to face James who was chewing on a piece of bacon. “An even bigger Christmas party! It’s too bad about the alcohol, but this is going to be HUGE!”

“Yeah, I know,” said James trying to perk up his voice to hold out the flatness in his heart.

“I think it was very nice of Professor McGonagall to do this for the students,” stated Remus as he yawned tiredly.

“So, who do you think you’re bringing?” inquired Peter.

“I honestly don’t know,” acknowledged Remus as his eye lids slid even further down both eyes. “I just want to go to bed. Maybe I’ll go alone.”

“Alone?!” remarked Sirius. “C’mon man! There are plenty of young ladies just ripe for the taking.” He motioned a women’s figure with both hands. “You can borrow someone from the list if you’d like.”

Remus shook his head instantly. “Don’t even think about it.”

James rolled his eyes as he grasped an apple. Secretly, he was hoping that none of the Marauders would ask him who he was thinking of taking. He didn’t know if he had the heart to answer the question.

Luckily, the others assumed James’ answer and didn’t bother to ask.

“What about you, Bachelor Black? Thinking about someone?” interrogated Remus sarcastically.

“Who says I’m bringing anybody? Maybe I’m not bringing anybody at all,” replied Sirius smoothly.

Peter snickered at his hypocrisy.

“Yeah, right, sure you’re not. You are eyeing her twenty-four hours, seven days a week,” sighed Remus, and James smirked slightly.

“Eyeing who?” questioned Sirius smartly.