Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Your Eyes: The Beginning by GryffindorsHeir

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Fizzing Whizbees.”

The gargoyle guarding the entrance to Dumbledore’s office sprang to life when Hermione uttered the password. Both she and Draco stepped on to the revolving staircase, neither one looking at the other. They reached the doors of Dumbledore’s office, and Hermione knocked.

“Do come in,” came Dumbledore’s voice from the other side.

They walked into his office. Hermione took the empty seat that was between Harry and Ron, while Draco took the seat farthest away from the trio.

The room was quiet; even the portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses were keeping very silent.

“Professor, I don’t think this is such a good idea,” Harry said breaking the silence. “How do we know that he won’t find out?”

“I am confident in Mr. Malfoy’s ability, as long as he has his full strength, or is sufficiently prepared before being subjected to any torture.”

Hermione looked up, brows furrowed together slightly. Draco too, had a confused look on his face.

“Professor, what are you talking about?” Hermione asked.

Dumbledore looked from Hermione, then to Draco, then back to Hermione.

“Well, Ms. Granger, I have come up with a plan of sorts involving your three classmates.”

“Three?”

“Yes,” Dumbledore answered. “Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley, and Mr. Malfoy.”

Dumbledore turned slightly to look at Draco. Draco’s face was pale and drawn; he clearly was in need of rest.

“Now, Draco, I will be quick and explain the general idea of the plan, so you can excuse yourself and rest. The plan however, will only work if you agree to it.”

“I’ll work as a spy, if that’s what you want me to do,” Draco answered without being asked.

Dumbledore smiled slightly. “Yes, that actually is part of what I would like for you to do. Since that was the most important part, I can explain the rest to you later. Please head back to your dormitory, and get some rest.”

Draco looked at Hermione; she wasn’t looking at him.

“Goodnight, Professor,” Draco said, and left Dumbledore’s office.

After the door to his office had closed, Dumbledore turned in his chair to face Hermione. Her head was still cast downward, and every now and then a glimpse of a tear could be seen as it fell from Hermione’s face into her lap.

“Now,” Dumbledore said, breaking the long silence. “If you boys would kindly head back to your dormitories, I would like to speak to Ms. Granger.”

“But, Professor,” Harry said. “Shouldn’t we all discuss what’s going to happen?”

“I trust that you, and Mr. Weasley, will be able to give her all the details.” Dumbledore’s face suddenly became serious. “But, I want it understood now, that you, Ms. Granger, will not be participating in this plan.”

Hermione looked up at Dumbledore.

“But…but, Professor, I have to help Harry and Ron with whatever it is. They may need me,” she said weakly.

Dumbledore’s eyes sparkled.

“Do not worry Ms. Granger; you will help them, just not in the way you think.” He turned to Harry and Ron, “Now, if you two would kindly excuse yourselves, Ms. Granger will be along in a moment.”

Harry and Ron got up, and left Dumbledore’s office. Hermione’s tear stained face was turned towards Dumbledore’s, waiting for him to explain what her part in all this would be.

“Now, Ms. Granger,” Dumbledore said. “Mr. Malfoy informed me that he needed to talk to you. I trust he said all he needed to?”

“Yes, Professor, he did.” Hermione cast her eyes downward. “But, with all due respect, I don’t really want to talk about it. I just want to go back to the common room.”

Dumbledore looked at Hermione for several minutes. “I see. Then, I gather you aren’t very willing to accept whatever it is he’s told you?”

“How can I Professor? He’s lied the whole time about what he was, and now he wants me to believe everything he says. I can’t do that.”

Dumbledore sighed. “Very well, Ms. Granger, you may head back to your common room. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley will be waiting up for you.”

“But, Professor,” Hermione said. “You haven’t told me how I am going to be helping Harry and Ron.”

“Yes, I have,” Dumbledore said. “You are tired, Ms. Granger, and I am sure that once you have had some rest, everything will become clearer for you.”

Hermione got up reluctantly, and headed towards the door. She turned and said, “Goodnight, Professor.” As she turned back around to leave the office, she could have sworn that she saw the tiniest of smiles on the headmaster’s lips.

*~*~*~*~

“I see you’ve been given what you deserve.”

Draco turned to see Pansy in the corner of the Slytherin common room. She appeared to him like a vulture, waiting for a weakened animal to die.

Draco ignored her, and continued limping slightly towards the stairs that led to his dormitory.

“In truth, I’m surprised the Dark Lord didn’t kill you.”

“There’s a simple reason for that, Parkinson,” Draco spat. “I am not a traitor. The Dark Lord does not kill his faithful.”

Pansy’s laugh was more like a shriek. “Ha! What a load of rubbish. What did you tell him? That you really don’t like the mudblood? That you’re using her? Is that what you said?”

Draco glared at her, then turned and resumed his walk towards the dormitory stairs.

“Oh, I can’t wait to see how this one ends.”

“It’s going to end with you shutting your fat mouth, before I shut it for you.”

Pansy just laughed again. “Hmm, and with you gone, there will be no one to protect your darling little mudblood. I wonder what tortures-”

“I swear, Parkinson, if I see you even come close to hurting Hermione, I will-”

“Oh, what do we have here? Defensive are we? And you called her ‘Hermione’. So I am right, you do have feelings for that filth!”

Draco’s blue eyes gleamed with murderous intent. “If you touch her, it will be the last thing you do.”

“Ha!” Pansy laughed, and she walked around him to the stairs that lead to the girls dormitories. Draco could hear her laughing the whole way up to her room.