Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Thrice Defies by TwinSuns

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Starts out kinda slow, but don't worry, it'll pick up the pace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ch2

The fist two months of school seemed to fly by, September sliding into a howling October. The Marauders had already played their first prank (which involved many knifflers and a large amount of hidden leprechaun gold. How they managed to procure the leprechaun gold, Lily had no idea. Though the prank had been funny, she fought to keep a straight face at the rule breaking. But the smile the remembrance of how she chewed out James Potter that night did spring to her lips), and she already had a tedious pile of homework and Head Girl duties she could look forward to working on over the weekend instead of visiting Hogsmeade Friday, which was Halloween, with everyone else.

Lily knelt, on Wednesday evening, on the floor before the small coffee table in the Head’s Dorm, working comfortably on her Transfiguration homework and basking in the warmth from the fireplace. Lily had been extremely surprised and slightly worried when she found out she was required to share a dormitory with James (and lets face it, he was just ecstatic), but Lily had to admit she found it as an immense improvement over the House common room (and James hadn’t tried to put a move on her yet). The dorm, situated just down the hall from the Library, was a quiet place to study and do her homework, and was somehow soothing. Lily suspected that had something to do with the tasteful decorations.

The coffee table that she was working at was made from rosewood, as was the frame of the comfortable chairs that sat behind it. The carpet was maroon, the walls a rich cream color, and the upholstery was golden colored. Green potted plants were placed sporadically around the room, and torches helped illuminate the room as well as the paintings and tapestries on the walls. The fireplace was situated right in front of the coffee table. Directly across from the fireplace was the quaint bathroom. To the left of the bathroom a door led off to Lily’s room, and a door to the right led to James’. A quick inspection of the bathroom showed it could be used as a through-way to and from their rooms, and Lily was sure to lock the door dividing the bathroom and James’ room whenever she was in there.

Lily sighed. She was a tad bit tired, and more than a little bit lonely. Her best and only true friend, Marietta, had graduated Hogwarts the year prior, leaving Lily with nothing and no one but her studies... and of course James. Pausing in her writing about Human Transfiguration, Lily reflected over the last two months.

She had found herself, surprisingly, talking to James more frequently with less hostility, because he was the one she was around the most. Though he still had the annoying habit of irking her, she could see he had grown up, at least a little. Still prone to playing pranks on unsuspecting Slytherins (Lily didn’t think the mischievous spark in James could ever be extinguished), he was acting like a gentleman around her, and that was some improvement. In fact, to Lily’s relief, he hadn’t asked her out at all the whole term. Lily nodded in satisfaction. If he never asks, then I’ll never get drawn in, used, then discarded. Besides if I had to choose any relationship with Potter, I’d just choose friends. Maybe that’s what he’s after. But he did have a jovial and carefree way about him, that always made her smile.

A shadow crossed over her paper. Without looking up, she said “You’re standing in my light Potter.”

He didn’t move. Slightly irritated, she glanced up at him, keeping her mouth from opening. She would be lying and just plain blind if she denied he was attractive. In fact, he was extremely handsome. His unruly black hair was slightly damp from the shower, and fell over his glasses and his clear, hazel eyes. Lily liked his eyes “ they were lit with a fire, a passion for life that would never go out. His complexion was clear, his jaw thin but strong. At the moment, he was looking down on her with his arms crossed across his chest, but shifted his hands so they were resting on his hips. Lily could see the Quiddich-toned muscles in his arms, neck and shoulders shift as he adjusted. But no, Lily had to ignore all that. She didn’t want to get drawn in, and besides, looks weren’t everything.

“Potter... please move?”

He shook his head. “You still haven’t answered my question, and I’ve given you nearly two months to think about it,” his deep voice, usually filled with laughter, was serious, and this made Lily pause.

She brushed her hair back off her shoulders. “What question?”

“You haven’t forgotten.”

Lily frowned. Indeed, she hadn’t. “You want to know what you did to make me hate you?”

He nodded, and she sighed.

“Potter, I don’t hate you.”

His face brightened. “You don’t?”

“No, you just... frustrate me,” he nodded at her to continue. “For all the time I’ve known you, you’ve been an arrogant prat who only cared about himself. You feel like you own the school: you’re a playboy, you are mischievous, and you attack people you don’t like just because you can. And while I admit you’re an extremely powerful wizard, that isn’t right. You don’t see Dumbledore running around hexing people do you?”

He didn’t move. Didn’t stir. Didn’t blink.

Finally, he spoke hoarsely. “Is that truly how you think I am? In the time you’ve known me, I mean actually known me, these past few months basically, is that really how I act?”

Lily began to speak, but he cut her off. She blinked, startled, and listened. “In my defense, you say I think I own the school? I don’t, I’m just lucky to have money, great friends, brains, Quiddich, and a sense of humor. I can’t help it that that combination makes me popular, I’m just being myself. I admit that I am mischievous. There’s no hiding it. I like to make people laugh and smile, especially you. I attack people I don’t like? Yes I do, because if I don’t like them there’s a reason. Take Snape back there. Did you think I’d just let him walk away after speaking to you like that? And, you say I’m a playboy. If flirting makes you a playboy then I guess I am one. I haven’t dated, messed around with, or had sex with anyone! Lily, I’ve only kissed one girl in my life and I’m 17! And that was just an expected New Year’s kiss. But yes, I flirt, so that makes me a playboy, I see. And, I don’t care about anyone? How can you say that, when you see how I act towards you? When you see how I act towards any of my friends?”

He stopped, breathing hard. Lily looked up at him, shocked at what he was telling her. “James, I’m... I’m... sorry. I didn’t know...”

He knelt down before the fire, across the table from her. “It’s fine, I’m sorry for getting upset. You just assume I’m terrible because I’m a Marauder.”

He stared at her right in the eyes, and she had to look away. She felt terrible. “Just, your reputation...”

“Reputation be damned. Look at me Lily. What you see is what you get.”

She glanced back at him as he spoke again. “I’m sorry for tormenting you, I just wanted your attention. If you forgive me for that and asking you out over and over again, I’ll forgive you for your assumptions. I don’t expect you to like me right away, or even become my friend quickly, but I figure a clean start will help. Deal?”

Lily smiled. “Deal. Now if you excuse me, I have an essay to finish.”

She watched as he left the dorm, and suddenly she was lonely again.




James slowly walked to dinner, thinking about what had just taken place. He was glad everything was out in the open, and maybe, just maybe, she’d go to bed thinking he wasn’t terrible. And we’re on first-name basis now!

He was smiling as he met his best friends devilishly handsome Sirius Black, quiet, studious, and oh yea werewolf Remus Lupin, and little Peter Pettigrew at the Gryffindor table.

“What are you so happy about, Prongs?” asked Sirius, looking up from his porridge.

James shrugged as he sat down, grabbing a helping of porridge for himself. He looked over at Remus. “So Mooney, full moon on Halloween.”

Remus shuddered, his face paling. “Don’t remind me.”

“I assume we’re sticking to the usual plan then?” asked Sirius leaning over.

“Wouldn’t have it any other way Padfoot,” said Remus dully, stabbing at his plate with his knife. “Here, one of you hold on to the map for me, will you?”

Peter reached out for it eagerly, but Sirius gave him a knowing look and pocketed the map. He gave James a bear-like grim and punched him lightly on the arm. “Right, Prongs, this is what I was thinking for our next prank...”

After dinner, James made his way back to his dorm with light spirits. As he entered, he noticed that Lily must have finished her work, because the coffee table was clear again. As he was watching, the fire turned green for a heartbeat and spit out a small piece of parchment. Walking over the fire, he snatched it out of the air. It was probably another note from Dumbledore.

He read it, groaning, as he walked into his room. He could hear the shower running through the wall, barely though, as it was really quite a quiet shower, and tapped on the door.

“Evans “ er, Lily “ Dumbledore wants us to help prepare for the Halloween feast Friday before we go into Hogsmeade. Hopefully it won’t take too long, or we won’t be able to go at all,” he called through the door. He waited for acknowledgement. He knew she could hear him, but she didn’t respond. He tapped on the door again. “Lily?”

He pressed his ear to the door, and heard stifled sobs rising above the noise of the shower. “Lily, are you alright?” he knocked a little louder, then louder again. “Damn it Lily, this is the hundredth time I’ve come back, only to pretend I don’t hear you crying! Now open this door or I’ll do it for you!”

She still didn’t respond, and he became even more worried. What if she was hurt? Whipping out his wand, he muttered “Alohomora!” and the door snapped open.

James had to loosen the collar of his shirt immediately because of the heat and steam, and his glasses were fogging up.

“Lily!” he called again, restraining himself from ripping open the shower curtains to see what was wrong.

“What James?” she called shakily from the shower floor. She must have been sitting down. He sighed in relief and swallowed. He had this mental image of Lily crying naked with her arms around her knees, water mixing with tears, her wet hair plastered to her body, and looking purely wretched. He shut his eyes to help clear his head and slid down on the floor, leaning against the sink cabinet for support. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes as he did so.

“James?” Lily asked again uncertainly, poking her head around the curtains. They both blushed slightly at the intimacy of the situation, but ignored it. Her eyes were red, her skin blotchy, as though she had been crying for quite some time.

He glared at her. “Don’t do that again! You scared me half to death! You could have been hurt and unable to speak, I dunno....”

Her eyes began to water anew at his tone. Dammit! He had made her start crying again. “I’m sorry I yelled Lily, but honestly. Do you know what goes through my head when I hear you crying, and not answering me?”

She sighed, and closed her eyes, the action squeezing more teardrops out from between the lashes. She tucked her head back in the shower, and shut off the water. He silently placed a towel over the shower curtain rack as he stood. “We need to talk,” he said, and left the bathroom.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it was a bit slow. In chapter 3 (coming soon!), things heat up.

I'm very sorry for being stupid, Mods... I won't submit too many chapters again, I promse... :)