Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Who Thrice Defies by TwinSuns

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James awoke the next morning with Lily still cuddled up against him.

Best. Feeling. Ever.

He smiled, looking at her, noticing the way her hair shone in the early morning sun, and the small smile that played on her lips as she slept placidly. Lifting his hand, he stroked her cheek softly, hoping she didn’t awake. Finally, and with a sigh, James slipped out of the bed, trying not to jostle her too much. She moaned slightly as he pulled away from her arms, and though James wished more than anything to lie there with her eternally, he had things to attend to.

He grabbed the clothes he planned to wear to his parent’s house (jeans and a long-sleeved gray sweater) and went into the bathroom to change. Dressed, he ambled around the dorm, collecting all the things he’d be bringing home and dumping them noisily in his trunk.

He was kneeling in front of the fireplace poking at the logs, the heat so intense it felt as though his eyebrows were being singed, when a voice startled him.

“You are quite the pyromaniac, aren’t you?”

James looked over his shoulder and forced his jaw to remain closed. Lily was standing behind him. She was wearing some nice-fitting jeans and a crème colored turtleneck sweater that went well with her hair, which was down and in soft ringlets. Two golden chandelier earrings hung from her lobes, and she was wearing a golden necklace to match. She looked... stunning.

“Well, you look nice this morning,” he stammered. “What’s the occasion?”

She smiled. “Oh you know. You only get to make a first impression once.”

“My parents will love you, no matter what you look like.” As do I.

He stood and glanced at his watch. “Ready to go? I told Sirius we’d meet him for breakfast at nine and it’s nearly then.”

“Yes, I packed last night,” she said, looking somewhat nervous. “But I wanted to talk to you first.”

Is that a blush?

“Oh really? What about?” he asked, hoping that she wasn’t going to say she regretted coming to him last night. He voiced his concerns. “Are you... regretting coming to me... last night?”

She shook her head, her hair spilling around her shoulders. “Oh no. No. I appreciate it. It’s just that... could we just...?”

He crossed over to her and gave her a hug, relishing her warmth. “It’ll be our little secret. And, just so you know, if you ever need me again, I’ll be more than happy to oblige.”

She laughed and hit him lightly on the chest. “I figured so. Shall we go?”

James nodded and held his wand. With a flick of his wrist, their two trunks lifted to the air and headed toward the door.

“After you.”

They joined Sirius in the Great Hall for a quick bite of toast, and were soon setting off down the road to Hogsmeade. They would apparate to James’ house from there.

“Now I know you’ve never been to my house before, but it’s easy enough to find,” said James, leaning against the gate by the Shrieking Shack.

“Just concentrate on 3785 Rolling St,” added Sirius. “It’s the only house around there... so as long as you end up on Rolling Street...” he trailed off, grinning.

“Judging by that look, I think I’d better aim for the actual address, thanks,” responded Lily suspiciously.

“Alright. You go ahead, I’ll follow behind,” said James, throwing Sirius a look that he hoped Lily wouldn’t catch. Sirius nodded in return. Sirius would go first to make sure it was safe, and James would remain here, ensuring Lily’s safety. He really hoped she didn’t realize what he was doing. Or I’ll have that fiery temper of hers to deal with.

With a small crack, quiet pop, and slight snap, the three dissapparated.

James instantly reappeared in the familiar courtyard before his house. He cast his eyes over the house, a mansion some would call it. It had three floors, plenty of space, and was set in the middle of 100 acres of family land.

Lily was before him, gawking at the house, but Sirius was nowhere in sight.

“This is where you live?” she asked, voice full of awe.

He smiled, feeling nervous. “Yep. Hope you like it.”

“It’s beautiful!” she said, spinning around to look at the yard. The courtyard was a bit bare, only a few wintering plants till vibrant among the snow. Beyond the courtyard, in all directions, was a wood, which looked as beautiful as the one they’d left behind at Hogwarts. Rolling St. was only a mere trail through the wilderness, which was fine as the Potter's didn't own a car.

“Where did “ “ James started, curious as to where Sirius had gotten to, when a big black dog bounded around the side of the house. He rolled in the snow, barking his head off and chasing his tail. James and Lily laughed, but James wasn’t only just amused by the dog’s antics. He knew it was Sirius, but Lily didn’t, and he decided to have some fun with her.

“There you are, old chap!” cried James, throwing out his arms. Sirius didn’t hesitate; he jumped right up and put his paws on James shoulders. As James patted the dog furiously, and Lily squealed in delight. “Yes yes, I’m excited it’s break too!”

“Is this your dog? He’s so cute!” Lily said, moving over to pet it. Sirius gave a joyful bark, hopped off James, and lay back on the ground, exposing his belly. Lily knelt down and rubbed the dog’s stomach (something that none of the Marauders ever did), and the image was far too funny to James to make him jealous. The dog kept barking, and James knew this was a canine version of a human laugh.

“What’s his name?” Lily asked, glancing up at James.

“Ah... he goes by Snuffles or Padfoot at times, but mostly I call him Sirius,” said James, trying to hold his laughter in.

“He... what?”

As his words sunk in, Lily turned to stare back at the dog. Only the dog wasn’t a dog anymore. Sirius had transformed back into himself, and was laughing. Lily yanked her hand off of Sirius’ stomach.

“So you think I’m cute, eh, Lily?” asked Sirius mischievously through his laughter.

“Oh, you!” she exclaimed, hitting him and going red. “I didn’t know.”

She turned to glare at James. “And you were in on it!”

James stopped laughing, hoping she wasn’t mad. “Well, you see, it was a great opportunity,” he said, trying to sound innocent.

She cracked a smile as James helped her up. “It was pretty funny, wasn’t it?”

“Up, you lug,” James said to Sirius. Sirius got up, and had snow all over his back. He shook it off, rather doglike, and collected his things. “You know, sometimes I wish you stayed as a dog,” James said wistfully.

“And sometimes I wish you’d stay as a stag “ so I wouldn’t have to listen to you talk!”

“At least I don’t bite,” James pointed out, rubbing the area on his back where Sirius had bitten him.

“Okay, so maybe my bite is worse than my bark,” said Sirius with a devilish smile. “It’s so good to be home!” he exclaimed, pounding James on the back. James remembered too well the instance last summer when Sirius ran away from home. His parent’s had sent a follow-up letter telling him he was disowned, and James’ parents had declared Sirius their second son.

“Oh, there you are!” cried a voice from the doorway. A petite woman with long, raven black hair stood in the doorway, frantically waving.

“Mum!” James called, hurrying over to her. He grabbed Lily’s had and pulled her along with him.

“Mum!” Sirius echoed gleefully, following James and Lily. “Good to be back!”

“Oh, my boys!” she said, throwing her arms around both of them at once. James supposed it would be a funny sight, this woman strangling two men that towered over her by feet. “And this must be Lily?” she asked once she released them.

Lily moved forward, offering her hand. “Lily Evans ma’am. Pleased to meet you.”

James’ mum to her hand then pulled her into a hug. “You poor dear...” she said absentmindedly patting her on the back. “Make yourself at home. If there’s anything you need, anything at all...”

“Thank you Mrs. Potter.”

Mrs. Potter led them inside the house, and James looked around the place he had grown up. The first story contained a spacious sitting room, dining room, kitchen, and the master bedroom. The second story was the main living area, which housed the fireplace, the library, Mr. Potters’ study, and two guestrooms complete with a bathroom each. The third story was the smallest and only housed James and Sirius’ rooms and a bathroom.

“It’s so good to have you back. I’ve been lonely with you at school and your father away at the Ministry James,” she turned to speak to Lily. “James’ father works at the ministry. Head of the Department for Magical Games and Sports!

“Just leave your things there Lily. Mally, our house elf, will attend to them. Now where has that creature got to, I wonder...”

She checked her watch. “I’m meeting a friend at Diagon Alley for a bit, so James and Sirius I’ll leave you to show Lily around. Dinner is at 7 o’clock and I expect you to be here “ in one piece,” she said, eyeing Sirius, who grinned.

James pounded up the stairs, Lily and Sirius fast behind him. “Of course, mum.”

“Oh, and don’t touch your broomstick! The weather’s horrible!” she called before she dissapparated.

“A bit of cloud equals horrible? Half of my matches are in weather much worse than this!” he called, but she had already left. James rolled his eyes and turned to his friends. Sirius knew what he was thinking.

“I’ll get the spare broomsticks, you grab the Quaffle,” Sirius said, heading to the storage closet on the third floor.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here you go, best I could do under the time alotted me on the computer! Hope you liked it... if not, I swear I didn't do it on purpose.

Fun filled chapters to come!