Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

But I Do Love You by iheartyou

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I don't not not own Harry Potter

(A/N I feel so terrible that it took me so long to get this chapter out. I really hadn't thought that it was take this long. Thank you for being patient with me. I love and cherish your comments/reviews. You guys are the best, I love you. Enjoy)

Chapter 13: Orphans

The next morning dawned dark and grey, the sky completely clouded over; a striking contrast to the bright and beautiful day before. Though the weather was something left to be desired, Lily’s mood was not dampened. She was ‘disgustingly cheerful’ as Raven gently put it after rolling out of bed. Despite her words however, Lily’s emotions were contagious and soon Raven found herself full of smiles and laughter as well.

During breakfast in the Great Hall Lily and Raven made enthusiastic plans for the day. They decided on paying a visit to Hagrid and afterward returning to the common room to play their game which they had now dubbed ‘Disarray’ a name they found very fitting.

“The boys will most likely join in at some point,” Raven said with a hint of exasperation. As of late, whenever Remus, Sirius and James joined in their games of Disarray things became almost unbearably competitive between James, Sirius and Raven. A number of rules had been made as more and more ‘unfair’ methods of catching the ball were invented. Remus and Lily had played almost a whole match of Wizard’s Chess during one heated argument between the other three.

“I thought you enjoyed arguing about the rules with James and Sirius.” It was true too. Raven thrived in debating over the rules in the game. After arguments her cheeks would be rosy from yelling but she was almost always triumphant over the other two. It made Lily think that Raven would make quite a good lawyer should she choose to pursue the career.

“I do,” Raven responded, “But it’s getting old. I mean, it’s just a game.”

“Which I’ve pointed out to you several times.” Lily said. Looking past Raven, she saw the familiar forms of James, Sirius and Remus approaching them.

Raven grinned sheepishly. “Yes, you have. I get it now, but I don’t think it’s registered into their puny brains.”

“Not talking about us are you Sugarplum?” Sirius remarked, pretending to look hurt as he slid into a seat across from Raven, who scowled at him in return.

“Don’t be so obnoxious Sirius. She couldn’t possibly be talking about intellectuals such as ourselves,” James said, taking a seat beside Sirius and across from Lily. He gave her a smile, which she returned feeling her already happy mood elevate even further.

“Right. Forgive me. Black, when was the last time you actually studied?” Raven said in a false tone of innocent curiosity.

“I have no need. Not with my photographic memory to serve me,” Sirius replied, giving Raven his most charming smile. She responded with a snort of disbelief and returned to eating her porridge.

Lily rolled her eyes at the two. To say their behavior had been odd as of late would be a massive understatement. One moment they’d seem to be on almost friendly terms with one another and the next they’d be at each others throats. It left Lily bewildered and a bit upset that she didn’t know what was happening to her friend.

Overhead the enchanted ceiling was rumbling; growing intensely darker with each passing moment. Lily glanced up and frowned. They were definitely in for a blizzard of some kind. She wondered if a thunderstorm would be upon them as well, though they were rare at this time of year.

As if responding to her thoughts, swirls of white began to appear signifying that it had started to snow outside. A flash of lightning illuminated the threatening clouds for a brief moment before dispersing and leaving the sky dark once more.

“Earth to Lily. I think this owl is for you.”

Lily lowered her eyes from the ceiling and was shocked to find a large barn owl hopping in front of her breakfast plate. With the absence of so many students morning owl post was not nearly as interruptive as it usually was during the school term, when one simply could not miss the arrival of hundreds of post-bearing owls.

Had she been paying closer attention, Lily would have noticed that her friends’ arms were filled with plates, cups, pitchers and other things they had frantically snatched up for fear the owl would spill their contents. She, however, was too busy trying to get her mail to take notice of the amusing sight.

The poor bird had been through a difficult flight. It’s feathers were ruffled, poking out in odd directions. It calmed down when Lily offered it some toast, devouring it in seconds. It stood shivering as Lily untied the newspaper attached to its leg. As soon as it was free of its burden it took flight. Lily guessed it would seek refuge in the Hogwart’s owlery before chancing flight in the storm outside.

“We should get to Hagrid’s before that gets any worse,” Raven commented, pointing up at the enchanted ceiling. It chose that moment to have another bolt of lightning light its skies.

Lily nodded her agreement and without a single glance at the front page of the Daily Prophet newspaper she shoved it into her pocket. She and Raven waved to the boys as they left the Great Hall. Lily began to head over to the stairs that would take them to Gryffindor Tower. Having only decided over breakfast that they would visit Hagrid, they had not brought along their winter clothes.

“We could go all the way to Gryffindor tower to get our cloaks or...” Lily could tell by the tone of Raven’s voice that she was thinking of breaking rules... or ‘bending’ them as she used to defend herself with.

Lily glanced around and saw no Professors to scold them. “Summoning spell?” she suggested precariously.

“Read my mind.”

They grinned at each other as, with wands raised, they spoke the incantation that would summon their cloaks to them.

“Miss Sheppard!”

Both Lily and Raven jumped as none other than Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house, came striding across the Entrance Hall towards them. Trying not to look too guilty, they shoved their wands back into their pockets.

“Yes, Professor?” Raven said politely once McGonagall had approached them.

Lily knew they were doomed. Professor McGonagall had a knack for detecting rule-breaking. Though Lily had never been on the receiving end of the Professor’s wrath, she had witnessed it enough times to judge that she never wanted to have the experience. They’d probably get off with a lecture, seeing as it was a very big offense.

“Good day, Miss Sheppard, Miss Evans,” Professor McGonagall nodded at them each in turn. Her expression seemed to soften as her gaze rested on Raven once more. “Miss Sheppard, I’m afraid I have to ask you to accompany to the Headmaster’s office.”

“I’m not in trouble, am I?” Raven asked curiously, a frown creasing her brow. Lily, too, wondered what Raven could have done for Dumbledore to want to see her.

“No, not in trouble Miss Sheppard.” Was that a tremble in McGonagall’s voice?

Something pushed softly against Lily’s back, making her spin around. The cloaks! They had finally made their appearance.

Lily turned around to give Professor McGonagall a sheepish look but, most uncommonly, she was greeted with a warm smile. “Bundle up Miss Evans, it’s cold outside. Miss Sheppard, let’s not keep the Headmaster waiting. Come along,” she said it so softly and comfortingly that Lily’s jaw almost dropped open in surprise. Only good manners, drilled into her by her mother, kept her from doing so. Professor McGonagall was not one to be so kind. Fair; yes. Strict; absolutely. Often she referred to Raven as a ‘terror’ in her class. A title Raven held proudly, for James and Sirius hadn’t even managed to have such a name bestowed upon them.

“I’ll meet you at Hagrid’s,” Raven said over her shoulder as she began to follow Professor McGonagall.

“If you can make it through the weather,” Lily replied with a shrug. She watched the retreating backs of friend and professor for a moment, curiosity rooting her to the spot. She shook herself back into action, sweeping her cloak over her shoulders and fastening it, she made her way to the wooden oak doors that opened up onto Hogwart’s grounds. Feeling confident Raven would tell her once she arrived at Hagrid’s hut, Lily stepped outside into the snow globe-like winter wonderland before her.

~*~

Booming barks greeted Lily as she pounded on Hagrid’s front door. Usually it took her less than five minutes to get to Hagrid’s hut but it felt like ages ago that she’d first left the warmth of the castle.

“Who’s crazy enough ter come out in this foul weather?” she heard Hagrid ponder aloud as booming footsteps told her he was making his way to open the door.

“It’s Lily!”

“Lily?” The door swung open, revealing the huge shaggy form of Hagrid. “Crazy girl. Get in here before ye freeze ter death.”

Lily was only too happy to do so. She slipped into the delightfully warm hut and, pausing only to scratch the dog, Sweetie, behind the ear, went to sit in the chair located closest to the fireplace.

“Hello Hagrid. It’s been awhile so I thought I’d“ ” the words died in Lily’s mouth. Hagrid was frowning at her and nervously twisting what looked to be a newspaper in his hands. “Is everything alright?” she asked anxiously.

“Did ye read the paper today?”

Lily’s frowned deepened at the question. “No, I didn’t get the chance...”

“Did Raven read it?”

Lily shook her head. “She doesn’t get the paper. Usually we read it together. Why do you ask?”

To her utter shock, Lily saw a tear form in Hagrid’s eye and then slide down his cheek only to disappear into his unruly beard. “There was an attack,” he said gruffly.

Lily suddenly felt queasy. Another attack from Voldemort? So soon after Christmas?

“Who was the target?” her voice was surprisingly steady, for inside a torrent of emotions were flowing through her.

Hagrid shook his head. “I can’t. It’s too sad. Here, ye better read it.” He handed her the grubby and twisted newspaper with fingers that shook. She took it and smoothed it out across her lap. A bold headline flashed at her:


DISASTER STRIKES BURMINGHAM


In the early evening of yesterday Death Eaters filtrated into Burmingham. Their first target: the Sheppards’ house on the country-like outskirts of town. Or, more precisely, the residents of the Sheppard household. Mr Harold Sheppard and his wife Mrs Adara Sheppard were murdered last night at around 9pm. It is hard to decipher a specific time for their household is located five block from their nearest neighbor. A muggle claims he heard screams while strolling along the connecting street to theirs and he immediately called the muggle police.
Fortunately, the Sheppard children are safe and well. Their daughter, Raven Sheppard stayed at her school for the holidays. A small stroke of good fortune. David Sheppard, their son, is to our knowledge, residing at his aunt’s and has been ever since the 26th.
Unfortunately, the Death Eaters did not finish with the Sheppards. They went on to attack the Jada household which is located on the opposite side of town from the Sheppards. It is told by sources that Natalie Jada, the only child of the Jada’s, mysteriously turned up in Diagon Alley at 2am this morning. She was incoherent but people were able to decipher that her parents had been attacked. Ministry officials apparated to the scene, only to see the Dark Mark shining over the Jada household. The house was thoroughly searched but the Jadas’ bodies were not found. Officials are still hopeful that they escaped.


Lily stopped reading. She had felt, up to this point, that she was detached from the words. Like it wasn’t actually her reading it. It wasn’t until that last part ‘Officials are still hopeful’ that the words began to sink into her. Her throat felt constricted and tears were pricking their way out of her eyes, though she wasn’t aware of them. Mr and Mrs Sheppard had been like a second mother and father to her. Were they really gone? She pictured their faces, shining, happy and so in love with one another. Mrs Sheppard had Raven’s mischievous smile and her naturally ringleted brunette hair that Lily, when she first met Raven, had been so jealous of. Raven had inherited Mr Sheppard’s rosy cheeks, large brown eyes and stubborn nature.

“Lily?” she looked up at Hagrid as he said her name. She silently begged him to tell her it wasn’t true. A sob unexpectedly exploded from her chest and Hagrid immediately enveloped her in a bone-crushing hug.

She stayed in his arms for a moment, before urgency and the need for air overwhelmed her. “I have to go to Raven,” she said and quickly slid out of his fatherly embrace. Without a single goodbye, she crossed the hut, yanked open the door and once again plunged into the stormy weather.

Lily stumbled through the snow; it was up to her knees. She plowed on, determined to reach the castle. Winds tugged at her and more then once she was knocked off balance by it, resulting in a face plant in the snow. She cursed as she kicked her way through, letting the work distract her from depressing thoughts that threatened to overwhelm her. She knew if she broke down here, in the middle the accursed blizzard, she wouldn’t have the strength to make it to the castle.

Another strong gust of wing took her off guard and she fell sideways into the deep snow. Calling herself ten kinds of idiot for having left Hagrid’s hut, she started to push herself up with her arms. Was that a flicker of yellow by her hand? Lily frowned as she felt something soft that was definitely not snow, brush up her arm. She heard a cheep of alarm by her ear and then the yellow thing plummeted back into the snow. The thing was in a frenzy. Lily, who could barely see; the snow was coming down so thickly, squinted, trying to follow the things movements. There! It paused! With reflexes brought to her by playing Disarray, Lily snatched the thing out of the snow. She was careful to be gentle: she didn’t want to kill it.

Struggling, Lily attempted to push herself up with her single free arm. She failed several times before finally succeeding. A small cheeping sound emitted from inside her fist, reminding her of the creature she had caught. It seemed to have calmed down in her grasp and she cautiously opened her palm. Small beady red eyes met hers as she looked upon a small yellow bird. It looked a bit like a baby chick, but it had a stronger shade of yellow and instead of a light fuzz it was covered in the pin feathers of a baby bird. It’s wings were small, but powerful. Its beak was longer than those of normal baby birds. This was a magical creature, but of what kind she wasn't sure.

The baby bird shivered violently. Lily enclosed it in both hands to protect it from the cold and let out a sigh of frustration. She didn’t have the heart to leave the thing to fend for itself in this ghastly weather, but she sure wasn’t looking forward to continue on to the castle now that both her hands were burdened (she felt certain that if she held the bird in one hand she would surely crush it).

Lightning flashed across the sky once again and it was like a lightbulb illuminating within Lily’s head. She opened her hands a crack to take a look at the baby bird again. “I am so stupid,” she told it. It responded with a cheep that sounded like agreement. Lily transferred the bird back onto one hand and, with the other, pulled her wand from her pocket.

"Relashio!” Lily said, sending hot sparks into the snow causing it to melt. She made a path for herself this way and began walking, a lot more quickly, to the castle.

~*~

“Were you out in that storm this whole time?... Hey Lily! Lily?!” she swept past James, feeling only a slight pang of guilt for ignoring him. She’d apologize later, at the moment she thought only of getting to Raven and comforting her.

When Lily entered the seventh year girls’ room her attention was immediately drawn to the curled up form that was Raven on the window seat. She set down the bird, still clenched in one hand, on the nearest surface. She went to Raven and threw her arms around her best friend who looked so lost.

Raven was not crying, nor was she shaking with any kind of suppressed emotion. It chilled Lily, already so cold from the blizzard, to see her look so empty.

“Why?” rasped Raven. Pleading brown eyes turned to Lily. It was the same look she herself had given Hagrid barely an hour before. Suppressed sobs shook Lily’s frame as she looked at Raven as helplessly as Hagrid had her.

“Evil people don’t have reasons for their actions,” Lily was surprised to hear the quiet words emit from her mouth. Now that she’d said them, however, she didn’t want to take them back. They were true to the core. There was no good reason for these daily deaths. There was no reason at all, except for the greed of one man. The greed of power. He had corrupted others with his greed. Good people who, were it not for the power he offered, would never have committed these disgusting acts.

“I hate them,” Raven spat out, choking on a sob. More hysterically she repeated, “I hate them.”

Lily hugged Raven tighter as her friend finally let loose the ocean of emotions within her. Heavy sobs racked her body until finally Raven exhausted herself and fell asleep, her head still on Lily’s shoulder. Only when Raven’s breathing became completely even and her form totally relaxed, did Lily let her own tears begin to fall. She had let few escape her from the time she left Hagrid’s to this moment. She contained herself enough that she wouldn’t wake Raven, but it was a close thing. Later she would have to go away somewhere secret to have her own bone-wrenching cry.

She vaguely became aware that the storm had cleared and a bright afternoon sun now shone down on the shimmering white grounds. It was cruel, Lily thought, that so much anguish could be bestowed in such a short amount of time. It was the last thing in Lily’s mind before she, too, fell asleep, exhausted from the emotional and physical exertion she had gone through. Blissfully, she dreamt of nothing.

(A/N All I have to say is: Sorry, I don't enjoy putting these characters through misery)