Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

But I Do Love You by iheartyou

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Yeah, you all know I'm not J.K Rowling by now... I don't think I really need to go over it all again.

(A/N Thanks so much to everyone who reviewed!! And my silent readers, I love you too!! Really, without you guys pushing (sometimes shoving) me along I probably would've taken seventh months so put up another chapter as opposed to just five. Anyway, hope you enjoy this chapter! And er... don't kill me at the end of it?)


Chapter 19: Chaos in the Shrieking Shack

Sirius had apparated in the alleyway by the Three Broomsticks, the same one in which Lily found Timothy. It had been so long since an attack, that he had almost forgotten they’d ever occurred. He wondered briefly what had happened to the perpetrators. Had they given up? Or were they simply biding their time?

A cold wind blew and Sirius felt the chill running through his bones. His speculations immediately disappeared, replaced by a need for warmth. A blanket of snow lay over Hogsmede. He had not thought to bring his cloak, and was sourly regretting it now as he crossed his arms and pulled his school uniform tight around him. Without thinking of anything but a hot butterbeer and a cozy fireplace to sit by, Sirius dashed along the alley, teeth chattering.

The door of the Three Broomsticks closed heavily behind him, shutting out the cold. He heaved a contented sigh as warmth closed in around him, and his shivering subsided. There was nothing wrong with having a couple of butterbeers before heading up to the Shrieking Shack. It’d be easier to sneak up to the castle when it was dark with only the light from the full moon to give him away. He wished he had the marauder’s map and James’s invisibility cloak; both would’ve been useful tools for sneaking back to the castle undetected.

When he finally left the sun had disappeared entirely below the horizon, only a faint pink line remained, and the was much colder, although the wind had turned into a light breeze. His charm had helped him shmooze three drinks out of Madam Rosmerta, who put the amount on a tab he and James had started up in third year when they’d spent all the money they had at Zonko’s. They’d paid the amount off since then, but there were still times when they lost track of how much money they’d spent at the joke shop. Rosmerta liked to put on a big show of how lenient and generous she was with them, but Sirius knew she really liked their antics.

Sirius shivered and broke into a relaxed run, in hopes of the effort keeping him a little warmer and the extra speed getting his destination sooner. The full moon would be coming out soon, he could slip past Remus as a dog... although, he didn’t like leaving his friend to transform all by himself. Perhaps he’d spend a few minutes with Moony, just to keep him company, then he’d head back to the castle, put McGonagall off their scent and return to the Shrieking Shack.

The wind whipped at his clothes and chapped his face. Frustrated at the miserable weather, Sirius ducked into a small alcove and, checking to make sure no one was watching, he transformed into a great black dog. Now he bounded happily along the main street, until he reached the Shrieking Shack. Becoming animagi were one of his and James’s more brilliant ideas. Not only were they now able to help out a suffering friend each month, but it was like an adventure came with every full moon. Sure, there had been some close calls with Remus getting out of control in his werewolf form, but they always managed to laugh it off and vaguely promise to be more cautious.

Sirius, still in his dog form, jumped up to a window ledge and climbed through a smashed glass pane that hadn’t yet been boarded up. He padded through the house, his claws clicking on the hardwood floors. The wall paper had giant gashes in it, and most of the furniture was broken. The marauders had fixed as much of the furniture as they could for James, so he could semi-impress Lily, but broken pieces still lay scattered across the floor.

Sirius paused at the foot of the stairs leading to the second floor. Something was wrong; his sensitive nose could smell human in the air and he heard faint sounds coming from upstairs. Had Remus come already? Sirius looked out the window he’d just climbed in and saw that it was still too early for his friend to have transformed.

As quietly as he could, Sirius climbed the stairs, pausing at the top to see if the other being in the house had been alerted to his presence. He heard female muttering and his curiosity got the better of him. Who was brave enough to enter the most haunted building in Britain, according to the rumors? Staying low, he shuffled on all-fours to the end bedroom where a light was shining out of a crack in the closed door. He stuck his nose in it, opening the door just a little bit wider in the process. When his eyes met the person crouched on the floor, her dark brown curls spilling into her face, as she drew pictures in the dust with her finger, he was so shocked that his control slipped and he became human once more.

For the person was none other than...

“Raven!?!?” Sirius barked, completely dumbstruck. Of all the places she could’ve gone... what was she doing in the Shrieking Shack!?

Her head snapped up sharply, and she looked around wildly at Sirius. Her blue eyes registered surprise momentarily, before they darkened and she scowled.

“What’re you doing here? Go away!” She commanded. Standing up, she gestured at the door way to emphasize her words.

Go away? Go away? This was his hideout! Not hers!

He couldn’t help but notice bitterly that she wore her Hogwarts cloak.

Down below Sirius heard the trap door open and shut; Remus had arrived. A sense of dread and panic washed over Sirius; he had to get Raven out of there!

“No,” he whispered, closing most of the distance between them with a few careful steps. He tried to sound calm but he could hear the apprehension in his own voice. He didn’t want Remus to find out they were there, the result could end up catastrophic, and no doubt Remus would blame himself for Raven’s own stupidity! “You’re coming with me, and we’re leaving.”

“You think so, do you Black?” She questioned, eyes narrowed, raising the wand he had failed to notice she held at her side.

Before he even had the chance to open his mouth to answer he was blasted off his feet for the second time in one evening. She had jinxed him! The shrew! He swore quietly as he slid across the floor, out into the hall and landed against the wall with a dull thud.

Fumbling, Sirius pulled out the two-way mirror, and quickly muttered his best friend’s name. He’d need James’s help to get this girl, and himself, out unscathed.

James’s calm reflection replaced Sirius’s pale and wary one. “Yeah?” James answered. His features had returned to normal, for which Sirius was thankful.

“I found her!” Sirius whispered frantically at the mirror. “We’re here, in the Shrieking Shack... full moon... and Remus...” he stammered, unsure of what information to pass first.

“I’m on my way!” James had visibly blanched. He needed no more urging. He knew what it was like to face a werewolf without the protection of his animal form. Less than a year ago he’d barely escaped being bitten as he saved Snape from a deadly prank that Sirius had put forth. To the day, Sirius was still unnerved by the event; he’d almost sent his best friend to his death, but James would not speak of it anymore, preferring to put it all behind him.

“Hurry up!” Sirius said desperately, cutting off communication and shoving the mirror aggressively back into his pocket, he picked himself up off the floor, and pulling his wand out of his robes, he marched back into the small room to face Raven.

“Black! Are you suicidal? Get out!” she hissed, her cheeks crimson with anger. And her eyes blazing. “Don’t make me hurt you,” she threatened, lifting her wand so that it pointed directly at his chest.

Sirius made sure that he never broke eye contact with her. He had to show her that he wasn’t afraid and he wasn’t going to leave without her; although he could feel his anger bubbling to the surface. “Why not? I’m sure I’d make a wonderful practice duel for you,” he told her smoothly, trying to maintain his temper. Getting in a yelling match at Raven would not save her. “Got to be prepared when you challenge the Death Eaters, don’t you?”

Raven’s glare could have stopped a lesser man’s heart. “What’s it to you?” he heard her mutter.

They’d lost the time when they could’ve escaped without meeting a full-grown werewolf.. He could already hear Remus’s anguished cries as he transformed below. He searched Raven’s face but there was no sign that she’d heard them.

He mentally sized up their situation. It was too late to leave the room without giving themselves away. Even if James did make it in time, Sirius was unsure they’d be able to hold off Remus when the sight and smell of a human reached his blood-thirsty senses.

He switched tactics; it was safer to stay where they were. If worse came to worse they could block the door and jump out the window. They’d probably break a few bones, but Sirius trusted James would know what to do.

“According to you, I’m suicidal,” he said, referring to Raven’s earlier comment, “but at least I’m not chasing after dark wizards much older and more experienced than I am,” Sirius played at nonchalance as he picked non-existent lint off of his robes and brushed off the very prominent dust. “Which isn’t only stupid, it’s past bordering on mad,” he added as an afterthought.

“Shut up,” Raven whispered, unconsciously following Sirius’s lead at keeping his voice lowered. “You know nothing about it! You hate your parents! How could you know!?”

Deep down, that touched a nerve. “You think I don’t know what I’ve missed out on?” Sirius snapped fiercely, barely containing his vehemence in a whisper. “Correct me if I’m bloody delusional Sheppard, but I think I know that parents such as yours wouldn’t want their daughter to deliberately put herself in danger! You think they’re cheering you on right now?”

He took a deep breath, getting ready to plunge on; to say more. But a loud howl rang through the house, and vibrated through the night. Sirius watched as Raven’s eyes grew wide, finally realizing what he himself had realized many minutes previous.

Downstairs a large, angry werewolf growled. Sensing prey he moved towards the old staircase. His night had begun, and it promised him blood.

~*~

James and Lily had just apparated to Hogsmede when Sirius called on the mirror. In less than the time it took James to shove the mirror back into his robe’s pocket the two of them were running for all they were worth to the Shrieking Shack. Their progress was slightly hindered by the thick snow, and their shivering limbs as they, like Sirius, had realized too late that their winter wear had been left behind.

The deteriorating house loomed ahead as they closed in.

“Whatever happens, you’re not going in,” James puffed. He was in good shape from constant Quidditch practice, but it hadn’t prepared him for a long run through thick snow. Not to mention the long hours they’d taken scouring Knockturn Alley. The place was practically deserted, and they’d obviously found no sign of Raven.

“She’s my friend!” Lily protested, equally out of breath. She was having difficulty keeping up with him and James knew it. She wasn’t shorter than him by a lot, perhaps four or five inches, but it made all the difference. “I can’t just abandon “”

“Yes you can, and you’re going to. That’s the deal. No argument,” James’s voice was strong and confident, but inside he was feeling anything but. Lily knew Remus was a werewolf, but he had managed to avoid telling her about he, Sirius and Peter being animagi. She thought he would be going in, entirely unprotected. But he wasn’t and there wasn’t enough time for him to explain everything to her.

“What’re you going to do? Face a werewolf by yourself!?” It was a lucky thing that the Hogsmede population had all withdrew indoors and couldn’t hear them. Otherwise, James knew, they’d have had a lot of uncomfortable questions to answer.

“No. I’m going to face a werewolf with Sirius!” He glanced down at her; and in that short look James saw the determination in Lily’s face; sparkling in her emerald eyes. “Promise me you won’t follow me in.” He almost pleaded.

She didn’t answer.

“Promise me!” he shouted, and this time she shook her head in response; No.

He took a moment to mourn the consequences of the action he knew he had to take; he couldn’t risk her being bitten. He couldn’t stand knowing another person close to him would experience excruciating pain with the appearance of the full moon.

He waited until they were about twenty steps away from the Shrieking Shack. Subtlety, he drew his wand, and abruptly stopped running. Lily turned at this unexpected action, looking completely mystified. “James, what “” her eyes widened as she realized a split second to late, what he was doing. His wand was raised, pointing straight at her.

Stupefy!” He let the spell roll of his tongue, regretting every syllable.

The snow softened her fall as unconsciousness took a hold of her, taking her blissfully from harsh reality.

“I’m sorry Lily, I really am.” He apologized, using his wand to levitate her motionless body behind some nearby shrubbery.

“I’ll be back soon,” he said, even though he knew she couldn’t hear and wouldn’t remember it. He knew that when she awoke she’d probably be more furious with him than ever before.

~*~

“What was that?” Raven demanded of Sirius, as she heard a low growl and the creak of something climbing the stairs.

“Quiet!” Sirius whispered. He closed the door and muttered, “Colloportus,” as a result the door sealed itself. He knew it wouldn’t do much against a werewolf, but he hoped it would buy them a little time.

“What’s going on?” Raven asked, not giving up. She wanted to know what was going on, what was out there, and Sirius didn’t blame her for asking although it irritated him a bit that she had gotten him into this hazardous situation. “I thought this place wasn’t haunted! Lily told me “ ”

“Yeah, well I guess Lily failed to mention that a werewolf comes here each month to transform!” Sirius snapped. “And of course you’d just have to come here on that one specific night! Marvelously done Sheppard!” Sarcasm practically dripped from his words and Raven glowered at him.

“I hate you,” she told him viciously, her eyes burning into his.

“I’m not too fond of you at the moment myself,” he retorted, but even still he felt more than duty to save her; he really wanted to. “Look Sheppard, I “ ”

“Oi! I’m right here!”Both of them froze. The call had come from downstairs. It was followed by a distinct thunking noise and a loud howl from the werewolf.

James had finally arrived.



(A/N And just so everyone knows, I'm going to put up a chapter once a week at least. And always right after the weekend (so Monday, Tuesdayish) ... just so you know. I think it'll just be easier for me if I have a deadline like that.)