Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

But I Do Love You by iheartyou

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: If I owned Harry Potter I wouldn't be writting a fan fic about it. I'd be on the set of Goblet of Fire chatting up Daniel Radcliffe!!! ;) So yes... I don't Harry Potter. *cries*

(A/N Thank you so much for reading!!!!!! Enjoy!! There's a longer note from me at the bottom)

Chapter 6: Welcome to Reality

A week later Lily was hurrying through the corridors towards Dumbledore’s office. She was running a bit late as she had been caught up in the library, looking up spells. Lately, the prefects had been quite insistent on some sort of extra protection while patrolling. There hadn’t been anymore attacks, but all the same they were worried. Lily understood where they were coming from; the corridors were creepy enough at night without having the extra possibility of being attacked. Elise was especially paranoid. Just the day before she approached Lily and confessed some of her concerns.

“Aren’t you scared Lily?” Elise had asked.

“Of what?” Lily responded, although she knew full well what Elise meant. She had been busy at the time, thinking of what object they could charm to act as a panic button and send for help. It couldn’t be too obvious, something that people would wear everyday, like a charm bracelet or a tie pin.

“Of being attacked!” Elise had whispered furiously, eyeing the other prefects in the room warily. “I don’t know how you can be so incredibly calm. I’m so frightened!”

Elise was a muggle-born like Lily. But unlike Lily, she didn’t have many friends. “Listen,” Lily had whispered back, “everything is going to be fine. Ministry officials are coming on Monday. They’ll find out who the attackers are and everything will be fine. There haven’t been anymore attacks either, and I bet there won’t be. I mean, everyone’s looking for them, they know they’ll be caught and sent to Azkaban if they continue.”

Despite Lily’s soothing tone, Elise wasn’t much consoled. So Lily had told Elise to hang around with her more often, as they were less likely to be attacked in groups. Much to Stephanie’s annoyance, Elise had taken Lily up on the offer and now trailed her around everywhere. Raven didn’t mind so much, but Stephanie had never really liked Elise. This was the first time since yesterday that Lily had been able to go somewhere without Elise tagging along, although she’d wanted to.

“Hi,” Lily greeted James as she rounded a corner and saw him waiting for her patiently out of the stone gargoyle that hid the entrance to Dumbledore’s office. “Sorry I’m late, I was in the library.”

James shrugged. “I just got here myself. What were you doing in the library? You always finish your homework on Saturday.”

“I was looking up some charms and such for those panic things the prefects want so badly,” Lily explained. “Sugar Quills,” she said to the gargoyle, and it sprang to life, stepping aside to reveal the spiraling staircase. She stepped onto it.

“Any luck?” James asked, stepping on the stair behind hers and then coming up to stand next to her.

“A little. I’m sure Professor Dumbledore will have a better way,” she said and looked at James. He was scowling. He hadn’t been very fond of the panic item project. He thought it was unnecessary.

“You have your wands,” he’d always say, “Those are enough.”

But to everyone else it wasn’t enough, especially the fifth years. They were young, and probably couldn’t defend themselves as well as the older grades could, so Lily understood. It was annoying, though, when people like Gary (who was a pure-blood) asked constantly about the extra precaution as well. He came up to her a lot and demanded to know how far she was in the process of making the panic items. He’d done the same a couple of days earlier.

“So? Have you finished yet?” He demanded of Lily, who was talking to James about scheduling Head duties around quidditch practices.

“Er, no. Not yet,” Lily had said, as she always did when he came up to her.

He sneered. “Slacking off are you? Not very good Head Girl material after all.”

Lily’s jaw had dropped at the unfairness of his statement. She’d been putting every extra second she had into those things, but they were rare. Between tutoring Timothy, her own homework and patrolling she hardly had any time. She’d been about to reply when James cut in.

“Gary, is it? Get lost before I take points off you for being an insufferable jackass,” James’s voice had been so low and dangerous that Gary took no time in scuttling away.

Lily couldn’t forget the way James had given her a slightly guilty look and apologized for losing his temper. She didn’t need James to defend her, but she wasn’t about to get mad at him for it. She would’ve in previous years, but not now. There were always those moments when Lily was strongly reminded of the ways things used to be with her and James, but most of the time she felt as though he was someone new; someone she had just met and was turning out to be a great friend... if not, maybe, a little more.

She came back to the present when James knocked on the door and it opened silently. Dumbledore sat at his desk, looking calmly through his half-moon spectacles at them. There were too comfortable looking blue armchairs in front of him which he motioned at for Lily and James to sit down in.

“Good afternoon,” he said to them brightly. “I trust you are doing well?”

They both nodded.

“Excellent. And how are you finding being Head Boy and Girl?” Dumbledore asked with a kind smile.

“Great,” Lily said, “but it’s a lot of responsibility.”

“Yeah,” James agreed, “But it’s fun too.”

Dumbledore nodded. “It is particularly hard now because of recent events, but I have faith that you two will manage spectacularly. You’ve already begun to work as a team, that was the hardest obstacle to overcome... considering past happenings between the two of you...” his smile faltered for barely a second and then he beamed at them again, his blue eyes twinkling. Lily smiled at James who had an adorable little pink tinge to his cheeks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him blush before, Lily thought.

“There have been a few complaints, directed from a Mr Gary Anderson I believe.”

Lily and James both opened their mouths to protest but Dumbledore cut them off. “That is to be expected,” he said, “There will always be a small group of people who do not agree with you. It is a rare feat to have one side in such political environments. Now, that is all I have to say on matters for the moment. I do believe that you two have put together some type of report for me.”

Lily began to tell him all the details about the extra precaution panic items the prefects wanted so badly. Dumbledore smiled at her as she did. It was a smile that revealed nothing of his thoughts and it made Lily nervous.

When she finished, Dumbledore nodded at her and then turned to James. “And your thoughts on this, Mr. Potter?”

“I don’t think it’s necessary, but that opinion doesn’t seem to be too popular,” he gave Lily a look that clearly said he meant her as well as the prefects. She gave him an innocent smile, knowing he wasn’t being hurtful towards her. They often teased each other in a fun, carefree way; not at all like the way they used to.

“It’s their right to feel safe while patrolling and if this is what it takes than I think it should be done,” Lily defended herself in a relaxed way.

“I agree Miss Evans. I believe that you are quite exceptional at charms. The Flaria charm should do nicely for this project,” Dumbledore said, beaming at her.

Lily, blushing a bit, nodded, “That’s the one I thought would be best as well.”

Dumbledore gave her another smile before turning his attention to James. “Transfiguration may also be the key to success during this project, please keep that in mind.”

~*~

Half and hour later James and Lily walked out of the Gargoyle passage. They’d arranged the first Hogsmede meeting with Dumbledore and discussed plans for a possible school event that would lift the students’ spirits in these uncertain.

“I realized a couple of things back there,” James said, breaking the comfortable silence they had fallen into.

“Like what?” Lily asked.

“Dumbledore’s getting old,” James said sadly.

Lily frowned, he did seem to be a little older. “It’s probably just all the pressure. You know, with Voldemort out there and what not. Dumbledore’s the strongest wizard this side’s got.”

“You say his name?” James asked, eyes wide, referring to the way everyone in the wizarding world seemed to be calling Voldemort ‘you-know-who’.

“I can’t stand all that you-know-who nonsense. In fact, I think it makes me more afraid, not saying his name. It’s not like he pops up if you say his real name,” Lily responded, a little bitterly.

James seemed to be thinking this over. He didn’t say anything for awhile so Lily began to look out the windows as she walked. She caught a glimpse of the gamekeeper, Hagrid’s, hut.

“I think I’ll visit Hagrid before I go back to the common room. I haven’t seen him in ages.” Lily said her thoughts out loud.

“The gamekeeper?” James asked and when Lily nodded he added, “He used to chase Sirius and I out of the forest all the time.”

“He’s really nice. I know he looks mean, but he wouldn’t hurt anyone, ever. You should come with me.”

“Er... I dunno. I don’t think he likes me very much.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “He was only trying to protect you two. Keeping people out of the forest is all part of his job.”

“And you don’t think he holds grudges against those people?” James said and raised his eyebrows at her in a disbelieving way.

“He’s not like Filch. I’m sure he’d be glad to meet you,” Lily insisted. It felt weird; inviting James to come with her. This would be the first time they’d spent time together not doing homework or one of their head duties. She knew she didn’t want to go to Hagrid’s alone, but if she went to the Gryffindor common room to get Raven and Stephanie, Elise was bound to follow them. Introducing Hagrid to James was fine by her; she knew he’d probably like him. She doubted he’d like Elise very much. It was just a feeling she had.

“Alright, I’ll come,” James finally submitted and she grinned.

“I promise it’ll be fun.” They started heading down towards the entrance hall and then out onto the grounds.

“What was that other thing you realized?” Lily asked, having just remembered that James only told her one of the two realizations he said he’d had in Dumbledore’s office.

“Huh? Oh, right. When you first arrived, you know, at the gargoyle, you were walking all alone. Why weren’t you with someone?” James asked, and when Lily looked up at him she saw he was giving her a kind of disappointed look.

“Er, because I came from the library. I told you that,” Lily said, not understanding what James was getting at.

“You should’ve got Raven or Stephanie to walk with you!” James exclaimed.

“What? Why?” Lily asked, dumfounded.

“I’m not sure if you’ve really noticed Lily, but the attackers are going after muggle-borns. You’re a muggle-born!”

Lily laughed. “James, come on, I’m not going to get attacked!”

“Oh really? What makes you think so? Are you more protected than the others?” James asked skeptically.

Lily opened her mouth and then closed it, realizing that she had no idea why she wouldn’t get attacked. A muggle-born being Head Girl... that was bound to make them angry. She determinedly looked away from James’s acusing face and saw Hagrid outside in his pumpkin patch. “There’s Hagrid!” She said, beginning to run to meet him, but not before hearing a sarcastic “What a vocal explanation” from James. She chose to ignore it and greeted Hagrid enthusiastically.

“How are ye Lily?” He asked.

“I’m great Hagrid, thank you. This is my friend, James Potter. I think you’ve chased him out of the forest a couple of times,” Lily said grinning.

“Mighta actually done a good job o’ keeping ye out o’ it. I haven’ seen ye or yer friends in a while,” Hagrid said smiling at James. “Nice ter meet ya properly.”

“Nice to meet you too,” James said. “These are incredible pumpkins.” He gestured to the boulder-sized pumpkins all around them.

“Yes, you’ve done an amazing job on them Hagrid,” Lily agreed.

Hagrid blushed and waved their comments aside. “Wait until you see ‘em at the Hallowe’en feast. That is if I get ter finish ‘em,” he added bitterly, leading them into the hut. They were greeted by a huge Doberman dog. Lily fended it off her (if she didn’t, it would knock her over) and once it had calmed down a bit, she began to scratch it’s ears.

“Hello Sweetie!” She said to it. She took a seat across from James at the kitchen table and Sweetie rested her head on Lily’s knee. She continued to pet it as Hagrid put a kettle on the stove to make tea.

“Why wouldn’t you get to finish the pumpkins?” James asked, and Lily gave Hagrid a curious look as well.

“Never mind, s’ not important,” he waved the matter aside and held out a dish of pastries. “Rock cakes you two?”

Lily declined politely, saying that she had eaten a lot at lunch, but she couldn’t warn James so he helped himself to one. He’s going to hate me, Lily thought as he took a bite. She had learned from past experiences that Hagrid’s baking wasn’t very appetizing.

“So, Hagrid what’s wrong? You’re not going to get sacked, are you?” Lily asked, not fooled by Hagrid’s attempt to change the subject. She was also trying to take his attention off of James; he seemed to be using all of his will-power not to spit out the bit of rock cake he’d eaten.

“No, no, not sacked. When the ministry officials come ter Hogwarts... Dumbledore says they want ter question me; think I have something ter do with the attacks,” Hagrid said scowling.

“What? That’s ridiculous Hagrid! They can’t be serious,” Lily said, appalled.

“Yer well, s’ no big deal, I have nothin ter hide,” Hagrid shrugged, taking the kettle (which had begun to scream that it was ready) off of the stove and pouring them all tea.

“They shouldn’t even be doing it in the first place,” James pointed out. “You’ve been working here a long time and the attacks only just started.”

Lily nodded in agreement. “How could they even think you’d do such a thing?”

“Ah, well, doesn’ really matter. How’s school?” Hagrid clearly wanted to drop the subject, so Lily sighed and began telling him, along with James, all about school.

~*~

It was close to supper by the time Lily and James finally made their way back up to the castle from Hagrid’s. Their pockets were both stuffed with different kinds of food that neither of them had any intention of eating, but had been too polite to refuse.

Lily was still angry about the ministry suspecting Hagrid. “It’s just because he’s part giant,” she said bitterly; she didn’t exactly know if he was part giant, it was only a suspicion. “Because all the giants have gone over to Voldemort’s side, they just automatically suspect him. ‘It’s in a giant’s nature to be violent’ they say, but Hagrid hasn’t harmed a single student at this school ever!” She could feel her face growing hot and knew that it was turning an uncomplimentary shade of red.

“Everyone’s terrified, Lily. They don’t know who to suspect and who not to,” James said rationally.

She glared at him, “If you’re going to be totally sensible about all this, I don’t think I want to talk to you at the moment!”

James laughed. “Come on, let’s get to dinner. Maybe the food will help your insanity disappear for awhile. That reminds me, why didn’t you warn me not to eat anything?”

“I forgot,” Lily said sheepishly, and then caught what he was trying to do. “Don’t change the subject! I still don’t get why he wouldn’t be able to finish the pumpkins. They wouldn’t take him away would they?”

“Not unless they had a good reason,” James said, but Lily could tell he didn’t quite believe what he was saying.

“Then he won’t be taken away,” Lily said stubbornly. She had begun to tremble, she was so upset.

James, after a brief hesitation, put his arm around her in a comforting way. Lily tensed for a moment, before relaxing into his embrace. Everything will be fine, she told herself and, at that time, she believed it.

(A/N: Okay, I'm sorry if that chapter was a bit boring. The next one is (most likely) a lot more exciting. Thank you to everyone who's reviewed! You guys rock, I love you all!! Please give me feed back. You know, of the constructive kind. Thanks ^_^)

(A/N2: Oh yeah, I forgot to include that I really like Hagrid, he's one of my (many) favourite characters. If you like him too and I've managed to totally distroy the beautiful character J.K Rowling made up, I am so sorry!)