Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Another Side of the Story by Slian Martreb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Five: Brothers Re-Banded


Ron awoke during the night to a bang. “Who’s there?” he croaked, squinting into the darkness.

“Bill,” a voice said over the racket coming from the other side of the room.

“Oh,” Ron said, yawning. “That’s nice.”

Bill laughed.

“What’re you doing here?” Ron asked, yawning again.

“Vacation,” he grunted over the screech of metal against metal. “Remember? I come home during the summer?”

“Well, it’s nearly over.” Ron was quiet for a second and then winced as he heard another screech. “What are you doing?” he asked, leaning up on his elbows and trying to see.

“Trying to open this blasted cot, but it’s stuck.”

“Why don’t you go to your room?”

“I can’t open the door.”

Ron paused, shaking his head to clear it. “Oh right. Charlie’s in there. Mum didn’t want anyone to bother him.”

“Why? What’s wrong?” Bill asked, grunting again.

“One of the dragon’s wasn’t happy he was leaving,” Ron answered.

The noises stopped. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. Just that he has a gash on his leg nearly the length of it.”

“Oh.” Another pause. “I was wondering where he was. We were supposed to meet at the reserve but he was gone when I got there. Damn!” he swore. “Why won’t this open?”

“It’s magic-ed shut. It’ll open if you say your name.”

“Bill Weasley,” Ron heard. Then, “Nothing happened.”

“Maybe Mum didn’t set the spell to recognize you,” Ron offered.

“Maybe. Now what?”

Ron groaned as he swung his feet over the bed and stood up. “You take my bed and I’ll take the cot, kay?”

“You sure?” Bill asked, sounding doubtful.

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Well, let me light my wand so you don’t trip over something.”

Ron stood there, shivering in his pajamas that were too small on him, wondering why he had left the window open while he heard Bill rummaging.

“Got it,” he finally heard Bill say. Then, “Lumos,” and a beam of light appeared out of the end of his wand.

Ron stifled yet another yawn as he shuffled across the floor and bent over the cot. “Ronald Weasley,” he said clearly, stepping back as it sprung open to reveal a bed identical to his own.

“Cool!” Bill exclaimed.

“Yeah,” Ron agreed, crawling under the blanket and curling his feet into his chest.

He watched Bill walk to his real bed and then he stopped short. “Why don’t you sleep in your own bed?” he asked.

“Cause I’m already in this one. And this has the better mattress and blanket...they only look the same.”

Bill laughed. “Night,” he said, starting to pull off his shirt.

“Night,” Ron answered, pulling the covers up to his chin. He closed his eyes and promptly fell back asleep.



“Ron! Bill! Time to get up!” Mrs. Weasley called up the steps some time later.

Ron moaned and pulled his pillow over his head as he rolled over. That’s weird, he thought. Bill isn’t home. He’s in Egypt.

“Why don’t I hear you moving up there?” she yelled up. “If you don’t hurry up we’re not going to have enough time!”

Giving up on the last two minutes of sleep, Ron threw his pillow off his bed, sat up, and screamed.

The person lying in his bed shot up, instantly alert. “What is it?”

“Bill?!?” Ron spluttered.

“Yeah?” he asked, an eyebrow rising.

“What are you doing here?”

“What?”

“What do you mean, what?” Ron asked, his hand on his chest, as though trying to still his racing heart.

“What’s your problem?” Bill asked, sounding annoyed at the cause for his rude awakening. “You knew I was here. We talked for a few minutes.”

“We did?” Ron asked, confused.

“Yes. Don’t you remember?”

“I thought it was a dream,” Ron admitted sheepishly.

“So what are you doing in the cot?” Bill asked, exasperated.

“Oh.” Ron blushed. “Good point.”

“I thought so. Anyway,” Bill continued after a short pause, rubbing his eyes. “Why is is Mum waking us up so early? It’s barely seven.”

“We’re going to get our school things,” Ron answered, standing up to stretch. He grabbed his clothes from where he had laid them out the night before. “We’re going to havta hurry; I think Mum wants to be out by nine.”

“Why so early?” Bill asked, following Ron out of the room.

“Well...we need a lot of new things for this year. Most of your stuff didn’t make it through Fred and George.”

“Ah,” Bill said, nodding wisely as they stopped in front of the bathroom door. Leaning foward, he jiggled the doorknob, but it stayed resolutely shut. “Locked,” he said.

Not more than a second later, the door flew open to reveal Fred, dripping wet, his hair in his face. A towel was just barely wrapped around his waist and his mouth was hanging open in shock.

“Bill?” he asked in obvious disbelief, echoed by two voices coming from behind them. Ron turned to see Percy and George standing in the doorways of their rooms, mouths hanging open, eyes popping.

“What?” Bill said, sounding annoyed. “I don’t come home that rarely.”

“Yes you do,” Percy, Ron and the twins said together.

Bill shrugged with a smile. “Oops?”

“When did you get in?” George asked, stepping closer.

“Around two.”

“Where did you sleep?” Percy asked.

“Ron’s room.”

“I slept in the cot,” Ron put in.

“Lucky,” George said, jealous.

“Anyway,” Bill said, looking at Fred, “don’t you think you should put some clothes on?”

“Why?” Fred asked, looking confused.

“Ginny’s bound to be down soon, don’t you think?”

“So?”

Bill looked at him, wide-eyed. “So? The towel isn’t doing much for you.”

“Oh. That.” Fred shrugged. “Ginny sees us in towels all the time. What, you thought we’d develop a sense of modesty? Ha. You really haven’t been home in a long time.”

Bill shrugged again. “Is that her?” he asked, nodding his head towards the stairs. It sounded like ten hippogriffs were running up the narrow stairwell at once. George stepped to the side, just missing getting bowled over by Ginny who crashed into Bill, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Glad to see you too,” he gasped.

“I missed you,” she said, squeezing him even tighter.

“I gathered as much,” Bill laughed, gently easing her arms from around him. “Is Charlie up yet?”

“Why?” Percy asked, his nose wrinkling in suspicion.

“I want to say good morning,” he answered with a wicked smile.

“Oh no!” Percy said loudly. “Mum wants him left alone. He’s really not feeling well. She’s taking him to a Healer today.”

“That bad?” Bill asked, the grin gone, replaced by genuine worry. There wasn’t a blessed animal or creature on the face of the earth that scared Charlie. None of the dragon breeds, not unicorns, hippogriffs or werewolves. But mention the word ‘Healer’ and he went white. It had made him better at his job, extra careful so he wouldn’t be hurt and end up in the care of one. It was completely irrational, even more so than Ron’s fear of spiders, the twins believed. “Maybe I should give him something to cheer him up.”

Ginny took a step back. “Didn’t you bring me something too?”she asked, an accusing tone to her voice.

“Ginny, I’ve been busy,” Bill said defensively.

“You went half-way around the world and didn’t bring me anything?” Ginny asked striking a pose quite reminiscent of their mother, her hands on her hips.

Bill shrugged in answer.

“Don’t you love me?” Ginny whined.

“Ginny darling, love had nothing to do with it.”

Her face fell and he took a step closer to her. “Oh, don’t be stupid, Gin, of course I got you something.”

She looked up from the floor. “Really?”

Bill looked at her in shock. “Are you implying that you thought I wasn’t going to? That I would go nearly half-way round the world and not bring something back for my favorite sister?”

“Your only sister,” Ginny said grudgingly. “But you didn’t write I figured that if you didn’t have time for that...you wouldn’t go out shopping.”

“Well, that just shows how little faith you have in me. I’m hurt, Ginny. Maybe I won’t give it to you after all. Hey, Fred, would you like a“” He leaned over and whispered something into his ear.

Fred’s eyes went wide as Bill stepped away, a smug look on his face.

“What? What? What is it?” Ginny asked, clearly stopping herself from jumping.

“Really?” Fred asked Bill, ignoring her.

Bill nodded.

“Well, yeah...sure I want it.”

“Fine then. I’ll just pop upstairs and get it,” Bill said, starting for the steps.

No!” Ginny wailed. “I want it! I want it! I’m sorry Bill! What is it?”

“No, you don’t deserve it,” Bill said, his face solemn.

“Yes I do!” she practically shouted.

“No you don’t,” Bill said, shaking his head. “Do you know that while I was in Egypt, the only think I could think about was coming home to see you, so I could give you the present I had spent hours looking for? Only to come home and find out that you think I don’t love you because I didn’t write? No,” he said again. “I’m giving it to Fred.”

“I’m sorry ” Ginny wailed in near desperation. “I know that you really love me. Please tell me what it is else I’ll go mad with curiosity.”

“Really?” Bill asked.

“Really.

“Alright then,” Bill said with an exaggerated sigh. “I suppose I don’t want you to go mad.”

“So what is it?” Ginny asked, bouncing eagerly on the balls of her feet.

“A surprise. I’m not going to tell you what it is without showing it to you.”

“Well? Where is it?”

“In Ron’s room.”

“So what are we waiting for? Come on,” Ginny said, grabbing his arm and dragging him to the steps. “Where did you get it?”

“I’m not telling.”

“Give me a hint,” Ginny said, pulling him around the corner.

“My lips are sealed.”

“Just a little hint,” she begged.

“Not a chance,” Bill said.

Ron stared at their retreating backs and then turned to Fred. “So what did he get her?”

Fred’s eyes lit up and he burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” Percy asked, a worried look on his face. “He did get her something, right?”

Fred just nodded.

“So what did he get her?”

“I’m not saying.”

“Fred!”

“No. You’re not getting a word out of me.”

“Yeah right, like you could ever keep a secret,” George said.

“You know perfectly well that I can keep a secret if it’ll make a better joke,” Fred said. “Remember, I managed not to tell anyone about Ron for two years.”

George looked thoughtful. “That’s true.”

“And I still haven’t told anyone that Percy“” He stopped short, a look of horror appearing on his face just as one appeared on both George and Percy’s.

“Fred!” Percy shouted, lunging at him. But Fred was too fast, he had stepped back into the bathroom and locked the door before Percy had even moved.

“Fred ” Percy bellowed, banging on the door. “What do you know?”

Ron doubted that Fred could hear him; the water was now running as hard as possible and Fred was singing on the top of his lungs. Percy hammered on the door again, threatening to disembowel him.

“Don’t even bother Perce,” George said over his shoulder as he headed for the room he shared with Fred. “If he didn’t tell even me he must have something really good on you.”

This of course, only made Percy knock harder. He banged on the door, yelling, “I’ll be out of school in three years Fred! I can wait that long to magic it out of you!”

Ron shook his head at Percy. Who did he think he was kidding? If he hadn’t told George, the secret was going to go with him to the grave. Percy glared at Ron, banging on the door once more and then stormed to his room, slamming the door behind himself. Ron sank down to the floor, leaning against the wall. He hung his head between his hands, a smile playing on his lips as he waited for Fred to come out.

Close to half and hour later, showered and dressed, Ron headed down to the kitchen. He rounded the landing and slammed into Ginny. They both went flying. Recovering first, Ron jumped up to help Ginny to her feet. “You okay?”

“Uh huh,” Ginny said, wincing as Ron grabbed her elbow to stop her from falling over again.

“Sorry,” Ron said. “Sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah,” she said, dusting herself off. “I just nicked my elbow. I’m fine.”

Ron nodded. “So what did Bill get you?”

She scowled at him. “I don’t know why he thinks it’s funny,” she muttered.

“What’s not funny? What did he get you?”

“A lump of earth from a vault in Gringotts.”

Ron frowned. Ginny was going to murder Bill in his sleep. “There must be something magical about it,” he offered. “I mean,” he added quickly as her frown deepened, “that Bill wouldn’t bring you back mud. You know that. There must be something more to it.”

Ginny shook her head. “There isn’t. I showed it to Mum and she said it nothing more than boring earth.”

“Maybe he told Mum not to tell you so that you’d figure out what it is on your own.”

Ginny looked doubtful.

“No, I’m serious,” Ron said, making a mental note to warn Bill to get Ginny a real present. “It must be some kind of puzzle,” he said, grasping for straws. “Anyway,” he said in a rush before she could protest, “where were you running off to?”

“Away from,” she said with a shudder. “Bill was going to do something to Charlie and I didn’t want to watch. ”

“What’s he doing?”

Ginny shuddered again. “Don’t want to say. Go see for yourself; they’re in the living room. I don’t even want to think about it.”

Ron shrugged as she fled past him and up the stairs.
“Morning Charlie,” he said walking into the living room. He stopped still, forced himself not to yell. “Why are you on fire?” he asked calmly.

“He’s not on fire,” Bill said from his armchair. “Don’t you know anything?”

Ron stared at him dumbly.

“Flame Freezing Spell,” Charlie explained from the couch. “The charm makes it so I can’t feel the fire; it tickles. Amazed I didn’t think of it first. I can’t feel the pain in my leg now.”

“Oh,” Ron said faintly.

“So when are we leaving?” Bill asked.

“Hopefully within the hour,” their mother answered as she walked into the room, a tray in her arms. She lay it on the small table next to the couch, within reach of Charlie.
“Morning dear,” she said, starting to lean down so she could kiss him. “Bill,” she said sounding tired as she noticed the flames, “could you get rid of those? All that does is numb the pain. It’s only going to hurt more when you finally take it off.”

“Sorry,” Bill said, pulling his wand out and waving it at Charlie. The flames disappeared and Charlie’s mouth opened into a silent ‘o’ of pain as his face went white.

“Merlin’s Beard, that hurts!” he gasped, grabbing his leg as he squeezed his eyes shut.

“Did you put on the salve I sent Ginny down with?” their mother asked sternly, looking down at his leg.

“Yes,” Charlie said, but she continued to stare at him. “Yes!” he said again, staring back at her. “I may not like Healers“”

“Terrified of them is more like it,” Bill said with a grin.

““but I’m not an idiot!” he continued, glaring at Bill. “If you tell me something will help, I will use it!”

Mrs. Weasley sighed, apparently satisfied. “Alright. You’ll just need more of it then. Where is it?”

“In the table drawer.”

“Pass it to me,” she told Bill, who did so immediately. She started slathering it all over Charlie’s leg and Ron could see his face relax instantly. “Now,” she said when she was done,
“you are to let this absorb. Don’t touch it!” she exclaimed as Charlie leaned over to rub it in. “While you wait, you can eat breakfast,” she said, nodding her head at the tray covered with food that she had brought in. “As for you two,” she added to Bill and Ron, “you’d better eat now too. I want to leave as early as possible; Charlie must see a Healer today. I know dear,” she added as Charlie groaned loudly,
“but I can’t fix this at home. Sorry,” she said, bending to kiss his forehead. “I really wish you didn’t have to, but it’s your own fault.” She turned back to Bill and Ron. “You’d better hurry up. I expect your room to be clean before we leave and you have to find that school list.”

Ron nodded and the two of them headed to the kitchen.

“Know what?” Bill said, taking an orange from the bowl on the table.

“Hmm?” Ron said, watching as Bill tapped the fruit with his wand, watching it peel itself.

“He looked like he was holding back tears when I took the charm off. But I swear, when Mum reminded him he’d have to see a Healer, a tear definitely slipped out.”

Ron laughed and then proceeded to warn him about Ginny.