Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Another Side of the Story by Slian Martreb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Nine–Hats and Houses


The door swung open instantly to reveal a tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes. She was looking down at them sternly, as though they had already done something wrong and Ron’s first thought was that, after his mother, this was the last woman in the world he wanted to cross.

“The firs’ years, Professor McGonagall,” Hagrid said.

“Thank you Hagrid,” she answered. “I will take them from here.”

She pulled the door wide open and Ron had to stop himself gasping; the entrance hall was so big his whole house would have fit into it. The stone walls were lit by flaming torches, a huge marble staircase faced them, and the ceiling was too high to see. Without another word, Professor McGonagall turned, beckoning them after her and through a small door into a chamber off the hall. Ron could hear the murmur of hundreds of voices through the walls and wondered when they would be joining the rest of the school. He twisted around, trying to get more elbow room as the other first years crushed around him.

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” Professor McGonagall began. “The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is very important because while you are here, your house will be something like your family in Hogwarts. You will have classes with your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

“The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

“The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting.”

Her eyes traveled over Neville’s cloak (fastened under his ear) and then pointedly at Ron’s nose. He looked back at her guiltily and rubbed at his nose furiously.

“I shall return when we are ready for you,” McGonagall said. “Please wait quietly.” She gave them all one last disapproving look and then swept from the room.

“How exactly do they sort us into houses,” Harry whispered to Ron.

“Some sort of test, I think,” Ron answered. “Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking.”

Harry gulped and turned away slowly.

Ron on the other hand, refused to think about the fact that in just moments he would be standing in front of hundreds of other people and asked to do something he had no idea of how to do. Any second now, McGonagall was going to come back to call them in front of the whole school and–

Somebody behind him screamed and Ron, nerves already strained, nearly jumped out of his skin. “What the–” he started, turning around and stopping short. Oh.

About twenty ghosts had just floated through one of the walls. White with a pearly sheen, they were nearly transparent and they were gliding over the floor, completely oblivious to the terrified first years. They were deep in an argument and a fat little monk was in middle of saying,
“Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance–”

“My dear Friar,” another ghost in a ruff and tights began, “haven’t we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he’s not really even a ghost–I say, what are you all doing here?”

Not a single student offered an answer.

“New students ” the Friar said, beaming down at all of them. “About to be Sorted, I suppose?”

A few of them nodded, silent.

“Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!” the Friar continued happily. “My old house, you know.”

“Move along now,” a sharp voice said. “The Sorting Ceremony’s about to begin.”

Professor McGonagall was back and one by one, the ghosts slowly faded through the opposite wall, continuing their conversation.

“Now form a line and follow me.”

Feeling sick, Ron joined the line behind Harry as they walked out of the chamber, back out into the hall and through the double doors into the Great Hall. In his wildest dreams, Ron had never imagined that a place could look so...magical. His brothers’ descriptions didn’t do it justice. Thousands upon thousands of candles were suspended in the air, the pinprick flames lighting the room. All the former students were already seated at four tables the length of the room, golden plates and goblets in front of them. One table stood on a dias in front of them, running width-wise across the room, filled with teachers. Professor Dumbledore sat in the center, the seat on his left empty, the seat on his right occupied by a greasy looking man with a hooked nose; he looked bitter. Ron tried to put a name to him, sure one of his brothers must have mentioned a teacher as nasty looking as this one, but couldn’t.

McGonagall had led them up to the teacher’s table and they turned now, facing the other students, their backs to the teachers. Hundreds of faces stared back at them, silent and curious. Here and there throughout the Hall were the ghosts, shimmering in the candlelight. Ron fidgeted under the gaze of all those eyes and looked up at the ceiling. Or was there one? Over their heads was a roof of velvety black, spotted with barely visible silver dots. “It’s bewitched to look like the sky outside,” Hermione whispered behind him. “I read about it Hogwarts, A History.”

Ron tore his eyes away from the stars and looked at Professor McGonagall who had silently placing a stool in front of the line of first years. Resting on top of the stool was a frayed and patched dirty wizard’s hat. Everyone was staring at it and any whispers echoing through the room stopped.

There was complete and utter silence for a moment. Then the hat twitched. Ron watched as a rip appeared at the hat’s brim like a mouth. It opened wide–And then the hat began to sing:

“Oh you may not think I’m pretty,
But don’t judge on what you see,
I’ll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black
Your top hats sleek and tall
For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all
There’s nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can’t see,
So put me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You may belong in Gryffindor
Where dwell the brave of heart,
Their daring, nerve and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise, old Ravenclaw
If you’ve a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You’ll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put on Don’t be afraid
And don’t get in a flap
You’re in safe hands (though I have none)
For I’m a Thinking Cap ”


The hall exploded into applause as the hat finished its song, bending nearly in half and bowing to each of the four tables.

“So we’ve just got to try on the hat ” Ron hissed to Harry. “I’ll kill Fred, he was going on about wrestling a troll.”

Harry smiled at him weakly and then turned a mild shade of green.

“When I call your name,” Professor McGonagall said, stepping forward with a scroll of parchment in her hands, “you will put on the hat, and sit on the stool to be Sorted. Abbot, Hannah ”

And just like that, the Sorting had begun. A blonde girl in pig-tails bumbled out of the line to put on the hat. A second passed and–

“HUFFLEPUFF!” the hat yelled.

On the far right, the table burst into loud cheers and yells as she moved to go sit with them. The next girl went to sit with the Hufflepuffs too, and the boy after her went to sit with the Ravenclaws at the table second from the left, where a few people stood up to shake his hand. The next girl went to Ravenclaw as well and then “Brown, Lavender!” stood up to the stool. She became the first new Gryffindor in moments and the table on the far left burst into the wildest cheers and yells yet. Ron could hear the twins whistling and he frowned as “Bulstrode, Millicent!” became a Slytherin.

“Finch-Fletchly, Justin,” became a Hufflepuff as well before “Finnigan, Seamus!” a sandy-haired boy who had been standing in front of Harry moved to the hat. He spent close to a minute on it before the hat finally yelled, “GRYFFINDOR!”

“Granger, Hermione!” was called next and she nearly ran to take her place. She yanked the head over her head, beaming.

“GRYFFINDOR!” the hat shouted.

Ron groaned and the sorting continued with “Longbottom, Neville!” who sat on the stool longer than anyone yet. What felt like a forever went by before the hat finally announced him a Gryffindor as well. He started off for the table still wearing it and had to run back, blushing, to give it to “McDougal, Morag!”

When it was Malfoy’s turn to be Sorted, he swaggered up to the stool with a confident and obnoxious smile. The hat had hardly touched his head when it yelled “SLYTHERIN!”

There were by now very few people left to be Sorted and they were going quickly: “Moon...!” “Nott...!”
“Parkinson...!” “Patil and Patil,” a set of twin girls were followed by “Perks, Sally-Anne!” And then–

“Potter, Harry!”

Harry stumbled forward as whispers broke out in the hall, the only noise since the Sorting had begun besides for the cheering.

“Potter, did she say?”

“The Harry Potter?”

Ron watched as Harry slowly stepped up to the stool and sat down, slipping the hat over his head, where it promptly fell down to cover half his face. Five seconds passed....ten...
fifteen... twenty. People were starting to whisper excitedly, their voices rising slowly. Ron glanced at the Head Table to see all the teachers staring at Harry’s back, a variety of expressions on their faces. The professor sitting beside Dumbledore looked tense, while the Headmaster himself looked slightly amused. The other teachers were sitting on the edge of their seats. The noise was growing louder and Ron started wringing his hands. He didn’t know why–

“GRYFFINDOR!” the hat roared over the house’s own screams and yells as Harry walked shakily to the table. Ron hardly realized he was yelling with them. Everyone seemed to be watching as he sank into a chair. Percy got up to shake his hand and the twins were screaming over the thunderous din, “We got Potter! We got Potter!” Ron watched a ghost try to pat Harry on his shoulder, but his hand went right through him and, if Ron hadn’t been so nervous, he would have laughed at the look on Harry’s face. Being touched by a ghost felt something like having a bucket of ice-cold water thrown over your head and Harry had clearly shivered.

Smiling, Ron watched as “Turpin, Lisa!” became a Ravenclaw and “Dean, Thomas,” a boy even taller than himself, became a Gryffindor. And suddenly, without his knowing how it happened, it was his turn.

He walked up to the stool like a man going to his doom, filled with dread. He placed the hat on his head as he sat down, crossed his fingers and stuck them in his pockets.

“Hmm,” said a voice in his head with what could only be described as amusement. “Another Weasley, eh? Got quite a bit to live up to, haven’t you? You’re brothers had the daring, nerve and chivalry between them, didn’t they?” the hat asked with a chuckle. “And you’re most certainly brave of heart.”

Ron blushed.

“Although,” the hat continued thoughtfully, “you’ve certainly the loyalty to be in Hufflepuff and passable wit to be in Ravenclaw. But–”

Not Slytherin Ron thought fiercely.

“Gryffindor always was pushy,” the hat said with a slightly annoyed and miffed air. “The thought hadn’t crossed my mind. Yes, you’d better be in GRYFFINDOR!” it finished, yelling the last word to the whole hall.

Ron yanked the hat off in relief, stumbling to the Gryffindor table and collapsing in a seat beside Harry, who was clapping along with the rest of the House.

“Well done, Ron, excellent,” Percy said loftily as the the last first year ("Zabini, Blaise!”) was made a Slytherin.

The moment Professor McGonagall reached the stool and hat to take it away, the hall started buzzing again. It stopped the moment Professor Dumbledore rose, his arms wide open and welcoming as he beamed. He looked as though he’d never been happier than he was to see them all there at this moment.

“Welcome!” he said, his voice ringing out across the Hall. “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!” And he promptly sat back down again as the Hall clapped and cheered.

“Is he a bit mad?” Harry asked Percy.

“Mad?” Percy echoed airily. “He’s a genius. Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes. Potatoes, Harry?”

Ron laughed watching Harry’s mouth fall open. The empty dishes in front of them had suddenly filled themselves with food: platters of roast beef and roast chicken, pork chops and lamp chops, sausages, bacon and steak lined the table. Small boats held gravy, ketchup, peas and carrots. And a small plate at the center of the table held peppermint humbugs.

Ron piled his plate high with everything except the vegetables and dug in. He wasn’t surprised at all. While he hadn’t been old enough to remember Bill or Charlie coming home to describe the meals in Hogwarts, he could recall Percy’s amazement as well as the twins’. It was a question of whose food was better: Hogwarts’ or his mother’s.

“That does look good,” the ghost in the ruff they had seen earlier said sadly, looking down as Harry cut his steak.

“Can’t you–” Harry started.

“I haven’t eaten for nearly four hundred years,” the ghost said as Ron washed down some beef with a swig of pumpkin juice. “I don’t need to, of course,” he went on, “but one does miss it. I don’t believe I’ve introduced myself? Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at your service. Resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower.”

“I know who you are!” Ron exclaimed, banging his goblet down on the table in excitement. “My brothers told me about you–you’re Nearly Headless Nick!”

“I would prefer you call me Sir Nicholas de Mimsy–” the ghost started with a frown, but Seamus Finnigan interrupted.

“Nearly headless?” he asked incredulously. “How can you be nearly headless?”

Nick looked very unhappy at this question, as though he had seen the conversation going in a completely different direction.

“Like this,” he answered, sounding tetchy as he seized his left air and pulled. Without warning, his whole head swung off his neck and hung on his shoulder. It looked as though someone had tried to chop his head off but not done a proper job of it. The three of them looked up at him in shock and Nick now looked slightly pleased at their reactions. He flipped his head back on, adjusting his ruff and cleared his throat. “So–new Gryffindors! I hope you’re going to help us win the house championship this year? Gryffindors have never gone so long without winning. Slytherins have got the cup six years in a row! The Bloody Baron’s becoming almost unbearable–he’s the Slytherin ghost,” he added as explanation.

Ron turned to look with Seamus and Harry. Sitting next to a very unhappy looking Malfoy was a horribly ugly ghost with blank eyes, a thin, starved looking face whose robes were covered in silvery blood.

“How did he get covered in blood?” Seamus asked, turning back to Nick eagerly.

“I’ve never asked,” he answered carefully.

The meal continued, and when everyone had eaten as much they thought they could, the remains of the food vanished from their plates, leaving them as clean as they had been before. A moment later the desserts appeared, and they were desserts like Ron had never seen before. Blocks of ice-cream in every flavor imaginable, apple pies, treacle tarts, chocolate eclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, fruit, puddings....

Ron helped himself to a block of chocolate ice-cream and the biggest eclair on the plate as the conversation turned to their families.

“I’m half-and-half,” Seamus said. “Me dad’s a Muggle. Mum didn’t tell him she was a witch ‘till after they were married. Bit of a nasty shock for him.”

“What about you Neville?” Ron asked as they all laughed.

“Well, my gran brought me up and she’s a witch,” Neville said, “but the family thought I was all Muggle for ages. My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off-guard and force some magic out of me. He pushed me off the edge of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned–but nothing happened until I was eight. Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles when my Great Aunt Enid offered him some meringue and he accidentally let go. But I bounced all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased, Gran was crying, she was so happy. And you should’ve seen their faces when I got here–they thought I wouldn’t be magic enough to come, you see. Great Uncle Algie was so pleased, he brought my my toad.”

“What about you Dean?” Seamus asked, biting into a doughnut.

“Well,” he said, grinning wickedly, “me Mum and Dad are both Muggles.” He paused, frowning. “That’s what you call ‘em, right? Non-magical people, I mean?” When the other three boys nodded, he continued. “Well, this owl showed up one day while I was in school and me Mum, whose deathly afraid of birds, came home from school to find it sitting in the kitchen. She was still outside screaming bloody murder by the time I got home. I was sure she’d lost her mind; I mean, how many people come home to find owl in their kitchens?”

“We do,” Seamus said.

“Yeah, you use owls to deliver mail, right? We use people. So it was perfectly natural for my Mum to be having a panic attack. Anyway, my Mum told me to get rid of it, cause I’m good with animals–”

“Like Charlie,” Ron interrupted.

“Who?”

“My brother. He works with dragons in Romania.”

“Dragons?” Dean asked, his mouth falling open.

Ron nodded.

“They actually exist?”

Ron nodded again. “Most of the creatures that you believe exist only, what do Muggles call them, fairy tales? They all exist for us in reality.”

“So, you’ve got stuff like fairies and gnomes and phoenixes?”

“I’ve never seen a phoenix,” Ron answered, “but I know that they’re in our books; they’ve got loads of magical properties. And Fred and George say that Dumbledore has one.”

“Oh,” Dean said faintly.

“You were saying?” Seamus prompted.

“What? Oh. Right. So I took the letter from the owl and I didn’t believe it at first. I wrote a letter back saying I’d love to come, but that I had no idea of where to get my school-things or find the platform. And I got a letter back in two days telling me. My Dad had to take me to Diagon Alley because my Mum was too scared. It was quite the fun day,” he added wickedly.

“You, Ron?” Seamus asked.

“Me?” He shrugged. “Nothing interesting. I’m a pure-blood. Means I’m magical from both sides,” he added, seeing Dean’s blank look.

“Oh.”

“Anyway, they were both in Gryffindor; all my brothers are or have been as well, all five of them. We’re actually all Gryffindors for generations back. So it was no surprise when I got my letter.”

“What about him?” Dean asked quietly, leaning forward over the table and nodding at Harry, who was talking to Percy.

“Don’t you know!” he asked, shocked. “Everyone knows!”

Dean shrugged.

Ron dropped his voice. “His parents were killed by You-Know-Who about–”

“Actually, I don’t know who,” Dean said, with what he must have thought was a clever grin.

Ron, Seamus and Neville all frowned at him.

“You-Know-Who was this wizard who went really evil a while back,” Ron explained, trying to be patient. “He killed hundreds of people. People were terrified to walk out their front door. Still are, ‘cuz no one knows what happened to him. They won’t even say his name; it’s either You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.”

“Where does Harry come into this?” Dean asked, his voice low, no longer laughing.

“On Halloween, ten years ago, He went to Harry’s parents’ house to kill them, or Harry, no one knows. But he killed Harry’s parents and then tried to curse Harry, but it backfired and hit him instead. That’s where the lightening bolt scar on his forehead comes from; it’s the mark of a powerful curse. But no one knows if You-Know-Who actually died, or just became really weak, but he’s been gone for the last ten years and no one is unhappy about that. Well,” he added, after a moment’s pause, “no one except his followers rotting in Azkaban.”

“Azkaban?”

“Oh, right. Wizard’s prison.”

Dean stared at Harry for a moment, a curious look in his eyes. “I wonder how long it’ll take me to learn everything you guys already know.”

“Not long,” Neville offered. “We don’t really know any practical magic cause we’re underage and not allowed to use it. We only really know the current events and stuff.”

The conversation continued into discussion of the classes they would take until at last even the desserts had disappeared. The whole hall fell into an expectant silence as Professor Dumbledore rose once more.

“Ahem–just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you.

“First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well.”

Ron followed the headmaster’s gaze as it roved the room to fall on Fred and George, who grinned back mischievously.

“I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

“Quidditch trials will be held the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, I must tell you that this year, the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a very painful death.”

“He’s not serious?” Ron heard Harry mutter to Percy over the sparse nervous laughter.

“Must be,” Percy answered, frowning. “It’s odd, because he usually gives us reasons why we’re not allowed to go somewhere–the forest’s full of dangerous beasts, everyone knows that. I do think he might’ve told us prefects, at least.”

“And now, before we go to bed,” Dumbledore said as the hall slowly quieted once again, “let us sing the school song ”

He gave his wand a flick and a long golden ribbon emerged from the end of it, rising high above the tables and twisting itself into words.

“Everyone pick their favorite tune and off we go ”

The school bellowed:

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With lots of interesting stuff,
For now they’re bare and full of air
Dead flies and bits of fluff
So teach us things worth knowing
Bring back what we’ve forgot
Just do your best, we’ll do the rest
And learn until our brains all rot.”


Everybody finished the song at different times until at last, only the twins were left singing together to a very slow funeral march. Dumbledore conducted their last few lines with his wand and was one of those who clapped the loudest when they finished.

“Ah, music,” he said, wiping his eyes. “A music beyond all that we do here! And now bedtime. Off you trot!”

The Gryffindor first years got up, following Percy out of the Great Hall and through the chattering crowds and up the marble staircase. Groaning and yawning, Ron followed after everyone else, dragging himself up step after step until they came to a sudden halt. A bundle of walking stick was floating in mid-air of the hallway ahead of them. When Percy took a step towards them, they began to throw themselves at him.

“Peeves,” Percy whispered over his shoulder. “A poltergeist.” He raised his voice. “Peeves–show yourself.”

A sudden, rather loud, and rather rude noise answered him. Ron, now completely awake, snickered.

“Do you want me to get the Bloody Baron?” Percy asked, attempting to sound threatening.

There was a pop and a little man appeared, clutching the sticks. “Oooooooh!” he said with an evil cackle. “Ickle firsties! What fun!”

He swooped down suddenly and they all ducked.

“Go away Peeves, or the Bloody Baron’ll hear about this, I mean it!” Percy barked.

The poltergeist stuck his tongue out at them and then dropped the walking sticks on Neville’s head before zooming away, rattling the coats of armor as he passed them.

“You want to watch out for him,” Percy warned as they continued. “The Bloody Baron’s the only one who can control him. He won’t even listen to us prefects. Here we are,” he finished, bringing them to a stop in front of a painting of a large fat lady in a pink dress.

“Password?” she asked.

“Caput Draconis,” Percy said crisply and the portrait swung open to reveal a large hole in the stone wall behind her. They all stepped through and found themselves in the Gryffidor Common Room, a round, comfortable a cozy looking room, filled with squishy armchairs, tables and a roaring fireplace.

Percy sent the girls up one set of stairs to their dormitory and pointed the boys up another to their own. At the top of what seemed like a never-ending spiral staircase in what had to be one of the tallest towers, they finally found their room and beds: Five four-poster beds in the middle of the room, hung with deep red velvet curtains. Whoever had brought their trunks up, had wisely places Ron and Harry’s trunks in front of the two beds on the left, Seamus and Dean next to each other on the right and Neville’s in front of the center bed. Someone must have been paying attention on the train. Too tired to talk much, they all pulled on their pajamas, falling into bed.

“Great food, isn’t it?” Ron muttered to Harry. “Get off Scabbers! He’s chewing my sheets!”

Groaning, he pulled the rat off his sheets, reaching through the now-closed hangings to place him on the dresser next to his bed. But the second he put him down, Scabbers began to run around the dresser, his claws clicking annoyingly against the wood as he squeaked in protest.

Ron ignored him, pulling the covers up to his chin. But Scabbers only screeched more wildly, almost as though he had a cat after him.

“Can you shut that thing up?” came a muffled yell from Seamus. “I want to sleep!”

“Sorry!” Ron yelled back, reaching blindly for his rat who quieted the moment he had his hands on him. He pulled Scabbers through the hangings and placed the rat on his pillow. Scabbers curled up next to his head and closed his eyes. Ron smiled to himself and closed his own eyes, beginning to breathe deeply.

“This is ‘gonna be a great year. Eh?” Dean asked to the room, empty of all sound with the exception of everyone’s breathing.

Ron answered him with a snore.