Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Conquers Everything by rita_skeeter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: This chapter has little to do with the main storyline, but it has to be included for locational purposes.

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine, unfortunately, but the storyline is 100% my creation!


2. A Disturbance

It wasn’t until late the next day that Harry received a reply from Ron. He was squatted on the floor, attempting to find a new quill from the heap of things gathered under the loose floorboard in his room, when he heard the swish of wings and a soft hoot. Looking up, he saw Hedwig perched on his desk, a note tied to her leg.

Harry shot across the room and swiftly took the letter from Hedwig, who immediately flew up to her cage for a rest. His hands trembling, Harry opened the envelope and read the note inside.

Harry, Everyone’s really pleased that you’ve decided to come here “ Hermione’s practically crying, and Ginny’s become all cheerful again! We’ll be coming over on Tuesday night to take you here, and then Mum says we might go to Headquarters a few days later. Expect us at about eight o’clock, but Dad says not to worry if we’re a bit late… So, see you very soon!

Ron.

After reading Ron’s letter through several times more, Harry glanced at the calendar hung opposite him, and realised with a jolt that they were coming that night. A swelling feeling filled his stomach at the thought of seeing his friends…of seeing Ginny… Smiling to himself, Harry dragged his suitcase over to the loose floorboard, and began to fill it with items, ready for his return to The Burrow.

Harry spent the rest of the day packing and excitedly rereading Ron’s latest letter, but also Ginny’s note to him at the foot of the original letter. As evening fell, he began to feel distinctly restless, pacing his room and fiddling with odd objects. He remade his bed five times, cleaned out Hedwig’s cage, unpacked his suitcase then repacked it more neatly, made sure he had got the date right several times, and all the time constantly checking his watch.

Seven o’clock. One hour to go. Half past seven. Half an hour. Quarter to eight. Fifteen minutes. Ten to eight. Ten minutes. Five to eight. Five minutes to go…

Eight o’clock.

Harry peered eagerly out of the window, not sure what to look for. But he did at least expect just a little more than what was there “ nothing.They’re just a little late, that’s all, thought Harry. Nothing to worry about.

First half an hour, then an hour, passed in the same way, Harry feeling more and more wrong-footed as time passed. He eventually decided to leave it and go to sleep. So he sloped off towards his wardrobe, undressed and then got into bed, the happiness and anticipation in his stomach subsiding.

He tossed and turned for a long while, Ron’s, Hermione’s and Ginny’s faces filling his head. Eventually he drifted off to sleep, his heart full of disappointment.

CRASH!

Harry woke with a start. Looking up, Harry saw Mr Weasley peering over his head, trying to determine if Harry was awake.

“Oh, you are awake Harry,” said Mr Weasley in relief. “Well, I suppose it’s not surprising, given the racket Ron has made!”

Putting on his glasses, Harry looked around. There, sprawled at the foot of his wardrobe, was Ron, who had evidently made the crashing sound.

“Sorry we came so late, Harry, it’s just Dad was doing something nearly all night, he only just got back 5 minutes ago!” apologised Ron.

Harry grinned and clambered out of bed. He walked over to Ron and pulled him up, then turned to Mr Weasley, who was inspecting his alarm clock.

“So are we, um, leaving?” asked Harry.

“Oh, yes!” said Mr Weasley. “You’d better get changed. We’ll wait out in the hallway.”

Harry quickly selected some clothes, dressed and collected all his things together. Hedwig hooted indignantly as he woke her up, but Harry fed her an owl treat and stroked her until she calmed down. Ron and Mr Weasley returned to his room, shutting the door quietly behind them, careful not to make enough noise to wake the Dursleys.

“We’ll be Apparating, Harry, even though you’re not strictly speaking supposed to, since you haven’t passed your test…but Ron tells me you can already do it, so…” Mr Weasley trailed off, smiling. Harry grinned, and grabbed his things.

“Ron you first, then Harry, and I’ll follow,” stated Mr Weasley.

CRACK. Ron was gone. Harry took a deep breath, and before he knew it, he was at The Burrow. Mr Weasley appeared right by him, and they walked up to the house. Harry followed Ron up to his room, and collapsed onto the bed he always slept on. They both undressed and climbed into bed. Just as they were about to go to sleep, Ron remarked, “Ginny will be thrilled when she sees you “ you’ll see!”

Harry laughed, Ginny’s face filling his head as he drifted off to sleep.


*Charles Caleb Colton