Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Conquers Everything by rita_skeeter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

A/N: I hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!


Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*



Disclaimer: I do not own any Harry Potter places or characters, and the title 'Wonderful Tonight' along with its lyrics, belong to Eric Clapton - not me.



4. Wonderful Tonight


Harry woke up the next morning, feeling light-hearted and content. He had finally been able to show Ginny just how much he cared last night, and he felt so much better for it. Everything was silent, except for Ron’s heavy breathing, so Harry crept out of the room, wincing at every creaking floorboard. He managed to slip out of the door without waking Ron, so he made his way quietly down the stairs towards Ginny’s room. Harry stood just outside the door, his heart doing somersaults. He pushed the door open and sidled into the room.


Ginny was sat on her windowsill, watching the world wake up. Her head swung round when she heard the door creak, and she beamed when she saw who it was.


“Harry…I wasn’t expecting you…”


“Not too bad a surprise I hope?” enquired Harry.


“How could anything be less than perfect when it involves you?” replied Ginny.


Harry strolled over to the window and kissed Ginny tenderly, before sitting down opposite her on the windowsill and taking her hand.


“I have something to ask you,” said Ginny. “It’s about Ron. When are we going to tell him?”


“Um…” mumbled Harry, avoiding the question.


“We are going to tell him, aren’t we?” asked Ginny in a warning voice.


“Well, yes, eventually of course…wouldn’t dream of not saying anything…”


“But what about now? We can’t hide it from him!”


“We can’t?” pleaded Harry.


“No! Tell him today “ I don’t care when,” demanded Ginny.


Harry sighed. He knew Ginny was right, but that thought didn’t much comfort him.


“So Harry, do you know who the Head Boy is?” asked Ginny in an innocent voice. “I know it’s not Ron “ he said it didn’t bother him, but I reckon it did a bit.”


“Well, yeah I do know who it is actually…”


“Oh yes?” she said sweetly, eyebrows raised. “Why would that be then?”


Harry smiled at her, realising that she already knew. “Yes, it’s me Ginny, but don’t tell anyone!”


“I knew it! As soon as Ron told us he hadn’t got it, I just had this feeling…I bet you can guess who the Head Girl is…”


“Hermione?” suggested Harry in a mock-puzzled voice.


“Who else would it be?” Ginny laughed.


“Um, well it could have been Parvati “ now she’s one stunning girl…prettiest girl I know…” teased Harry.


Ginny slapped his hand playfully, grinning. “Well, come to think of it “ that Seamus isn’t bad-looking…” They both laughed.


“But Harry, there’s something I don’t understand. Hermione told me that you didn’t want to come back to Hogwarts this year…now you sound like you are…” Ginny trailed off.


“Well…I guess I’m doing it for…for Dumbledore…”


There was silence. Ginny gazed at Harry, gently squeezing his hand. “I think that’s really brave Harry...” she said after a while. Harry looked down at her hand, wrapped in his.


“That’s why I love you…” murmured Ginny.


Harry’s head jerked up. Ginny blushed, looking away, but Harry turned her head back again. “Say that again,” he whispered.


“Oh, it’s nothing…”


“Ginny “ it’s everything…because…well…”


“Yes, Harry James Potter?” enquired Ginny, raising her eyebrows.


“I think you already know…”


“Maybe I do…or maybe I just need to hear you say it…”


“I…I love you Ginny.”


Harry leaned in and kissed Ginny, happiness flaring up inside him.


“So when exactly were you planning to tell me?” demanded a voice from the door.


Harry and Ginny hastily broke apart, whipping their hands away, trying to look innocent. They stared at the doorway, Harry with a sinking feeling in his heart. Ron’s eyes looked back at them, a smile playing around his face. Harry’s feeling of foreboding left him as he grinned sheepishly back.


“I was going to tell you…” insisted Harry.


At this, Ron began laughing, Harry and Ginny joining in after a few moments. Harry was overcome with relief at Ron’s reaction, and the knowledge that Ginny was in love with him.


*


Later that day, when everyone was sat at lunch, Mrs Weasley announced that she would be holding a party that night at The Burrow.


“You know, a sort of ‘coming of age’ party for you three,” she suggested, pointing at Harry, Ron and Hermione. “I thought I’d invite some of the Order, and Fred and George of course.”


“Sounds great,” replied Ron, looking at the others.


“Yeah, good idea,” added Harry enthusiastically.


“Brilliant!” beamed Hermione.


“Ok, right then, I’ll organise it right away! And no, Ron, you don’t have to wear dress robes if you don’t want to “ it’s not a very formal occasion,” stated Mrs Weasley, disappearing out of the door.


*


Harry could hear footsteps coming from outside and a knocking at the door. Music was playing downstairs, and the smell of delicious food was wafting up the stairs. Harry was sat on his bed, watching Ron struggle to put on a tie, and thinking how odd it felt to be wearing Muggle suits rather than robes.


“This…stupid…thing won’t…LOOP THROUGH!” shouted Ron, fiddling with the slippery material.


Harry laughed, and walked over to Ron to help him with it. He could hear the low hum of voices from downstairs and the odd burst of laughter. His insides were writhing like snakes at the thought of going downstairs. Mrs Weasley had organised a small dance contest (judged by herself and Mr Weasley) with a buffet. Around thirty Order members had been invited, and everyone would pair up to dance. Mrs Weasley had insisted that Harry and Ron join in, even after their protests. Naturally, Harry paired up with Ginny, so Ron was to go with Hermione. And now there they were, preparing to dance, and Harry was full of nerves.


“So, um, should we go down?” asked Ron once Harry had finished doing his tie.


“I guess…” replied Harry apprehensively.


They exchanged ‘good luck’ glances, then proceeded downstairs.


The place was packed. Harry could see some of the guests were out in the garden, for it was a balmy evening and the sun was still up. He felt a tapping on his shoulder, and he turned to see Ginny, looking stunning in a marine blue dress.


“Wow…” was all Harry managed to say, and Ginny ran up to him, planting a kiss on his lips.


Elsewhere, Ron was waiting nervously at the bottom of the stairs, fiddling with his tie, smoothing his hair and checking his watch. He heard a creak of the stairs, and looked up to see Hermione in a beautiful emerald dress creeping down quietly, trying to avoid attention. Ron was lost for words. He gazed at Hermione, a vacant smile on his face, until she laughed and offered him her arm.


“Hermione, you “ you look…” he stuttered. “Wonderful tonight!” He took her arm and strode forwards, not noticing the blush of colour on Hermione’s cheek, or her sudden delighted smile.


“Thank you, Ron,” she replied in a soft voice. She looked over to where Harry and Ginny were stood, hand in hand. “I didn’t know Harry and Ginny were back together!” she remarked in surprise.


“Neither did I until I walked in on them…”


They both laughed, and went to greet Lupin, arm in arm.


*


The dance contest was almost over. Harry and Ginny had been standing out for a long while, thanks to Harry’s clumsy footwork, but Ron and Hermione had survived until the final five before being eliminated. Now it was down to just two couples “ Fred and Angelina Johnson (who was now his girlfriend) and Lupin and Tonks.


“Quiet please!” called Mrs Weasley. “We have selected the winning couple. If they would please step forward for a spotlight dance…Remus and Tonks!”


Everyone began clapping, before watching Lupin and Tonks (who was not so clumsy on the dance floor as in day-to-day life) dance together.


After a moment, Hermione turned to Ron. “Do you fancy a walk?” she asked.


“Um, ok,” agreed Ron, slightly taken aback.


They began walking down the drive towards the lake that was just outside the village, talking happily as they went. Once they reached the bank, Hermione sat down, hugging her knees whilst Ron wandered around the water. When he returned to where Hermione was sat, he saw tears rolling silently down her face. He immediately knelt down beside her, looking worried.


“What’s wrong?” he asked, concernedly.


“Oh, it’s just everything! The Order’s all messed up, Harry’s not going back to Hogwarts, and Dumbledore’s…well…” she trailed off


“Look, it’s alright,” comforted Ron. “In fact, Harry is going back to Hogwarts “ don’t worry. I heard him telling Ginny the other day, and the Order’s getting on ok, it’s surviving, growing stronger again. You don’t need to cry.”


Hermione smiled at Ron through her tears. “You’re right. I shouldn’t…” she wiped her face with the back of her hand. “Thanks, Ron.” She pulled him into a tight hug.


“Don’t worry,” he murmured. “It’ll all be ok.” He kissed her forehead reassuringly.


For a long time afterwards, Hermione thought a lot about the moment they shared. She could still feel the soft touch of his lips on her forehead.



And then I tell her
As I turn out the light,
I say my darling, you were wonderful tonight
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight.



*Charles Caleb Colton