Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Loki's Amulet by Air Elemental

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Name: Air Elemental
House: Gryffindor
Challenge: Quarterly challenge, History and Mythology.

Chapter One: In which the amulet is first discovered

The whole shenanigan started as Fred and George Weasley were marched army-like into Filch’s office. Filch was seething with anger as egg white dripped down his cheek. The twins giggled loudly.

“You two again?” snarled Filch. “It’s only your first term at Hogwarts and you’ve been in my office thirty times to date!”

“But that wasn’t us, sir,” said George innocently.

“It was Peeves!” Fred claimed.

“A likely story,” Filch pulled out a long sheet of parchment. The twins groaned. They’d seen that piece of parchment all too many times. As Filch reached towards a quill, there was a loud meow. Mrs Norris jumped onto Filch’s lap. A smile spread across his face.

“What is it, my sweet?” asked Filch, tickling his cat’s ear. Mrs Norris mewed and jumped down into the hallway.

“Stay here,” snapped Filch, “don’t move!”

He stormed out the room, closing the door behind him. As soon as he was gone, the twins burst into fits of laughter.

“That was a great idea!” cried Fred, punching his brother playfully.

“I don’t think Flitwick realised the perils of teaching us the levitation spell, did he?” chortled George.

“Hey, how about we hunt around in Filch’s cupboard and see if we can find anymore goodies,” suggested Fred, remembering the strange map of Hogwarts they found last week.

Laughing, the two boys began rummaging inside Filch’s confiscation cupboard. They found several dungbombs, a mouldy box of chocolate, a large model of a hippogriff and (to Fred and George’s delight) a frilly bra.

“What’s Filch doing with a bra?” Fred laughed hysterically.

“Dunno, hey look!” George reached into the cupboard and pulled out an amulet.

It was a dull bronze with a crimson ruby glinting in the light. It was tied with a slim leather strip. George slipped it around his neck.

“Suits me, don’t you think?” he chortled, posing. Fred snorted.

“Filch’s coming back!” cried George suddenly. He shut the doors of the cupboard, kicked the bra out of sight and removed the amulet from his neck and into his pocket.

“What?” Fred was confused. “How d’you know Filch’s coming?”

“I saw it,” said George, pushing his twin to the wall they were leaning against when Filch left.

“But the door’s shut! Did you see through the wall or something?”

George opened his mouth to answer, but Filch strode in, Mrs Norris at his heels.

“We sorted out that Boydson, didn’t we, my sweet? He won’t be dropping sweet wrappers again.”

He turned around to see Fred and George standing against the wall. His face twisted with rage.

“What are you two idiots doing in my office?” he yelled. “Get out!”

“So you’re not going to punish us?” Fred’s voice rose with hope.

“I’ll punish you in a minute if you don’t get out of my office!” Filch grabbed the scruff of their robes and threw them out the office. They landed hard on the wood panelling and Filch slammed the door behind them.

“OK,” said George, “that was-“

“-very weird,” finished Fred, “its not like Filch to not punish us!”

“And it’s not like me to see through walls either,” added George. “Hey d’you think it was that amulet-thing?”

“What? It altered Filch’s memory and made you see through walls? Cool!” answered Fred. “Can I look at it?”

George dug it out of his pocket, “Sure.”

Fred placed it around his neck. At first nothing happened, but then Fred started twitching.

“I’ve an idea!” He cried.

“What?” George was eager.

“Follow me!”

Fred sprinted down the corridor and George followed him. They turned left, right, left again…

“The library?” George was confused. “Fred, you know we’ve never set foot in the library!”

“There’s a first time for everything, isn’t there?” Fred was running among the bookshelves, knocking some books off the shelves.

“Excuse me, young man!” It was Madam Pince. She didn’t look very happy. “Don’t run in the library!”

“Shut it, you old cow!” cried Fred, and pointed violently at her.

Madam Pince screamed! Her hair was no longer a fierce bun, but a clump of withering snakes! Fred laughed manically as Madam Pince tore and flinched at the snakes.

“Cool! Nice one, Fred!” laughed George, impressed by the illusion.

“Oh, I’ve only just started!” laughed Fred, and then and only then, George noticed something funny about his voice. He didn’t sound like Fred.

“What’s the next lesson?” Fred was still chortling as they walked out the library.

“Potions, why?” George asked.

“Great,” Fred sprinted off. George ran after him. Since when did Fred like potions?

“Hey, wait for me!” George was panting by the time they reached the dungeon. Snape was waiting for them.

“Late again, Weasleys?” he said coldly. “Ten points from Gryffindor, and a further five points for running in the corridor. Now get into class!”

The twins walked into the familiar darkness as Snape shut the door behind them.

They quickly found Lee Jordan sitting at a table he’d saved for them.

“I’ve another idea!” cried Fred, once they were seated.

“What?” Lee was confused.

“We found this cool amulet in Filch’s office,” explained George, “and ““

“Two points from Gryffindor for talking, Weasley,” sneered Professor Snape as he sat down in his chair. “Now today we are making a simple sneezing potion. I expect all of you to complete it by the end of the lesson. Anybody who doesn’t will feel my wrath.”

And with that, Snape flicked his wand and the instructions appeared on the board. There was the sound of wood against stone as the students scrambled towards the cupboard, not wanting to feel Snape’s wrath. The twins and Lee were last to fetch the equipment.

“Too slow, Weasleys, Jordan,” said Snape, sneering as usual, “ten points a piece from Gryffindor.”

“I’m getting fed up with him,” muttered Lee, “bloody Snape.”

“I’m going to teach him a lesson,” said Fred, and he stood up.

“Sit down, Weasley,” snapped Snape, “or it’ll be another…”

Fred ran to the dungeon wall and stared at it for a few seconds. The class roared with laughter. The wall was disappearing, revealing the murky depths of the Great Lake. Fish darted by and a crab scuttled lazily past. Snape was furious.

“My classroom is not an aquarium, Weasley!” he yelled. “Fifty points from Gryffindor!”

Fred turned to him. George gasped! Fred’s eyes had gone bright crimson, the same colour as the ruby on the amulet! Snape ran for his wand, but it was too late. With a swish of Fred’s arms, the invisible wall holding the waters back disintegrated.

“A Hundred points from…” was all that could be heard from Snape before the water cascaded in.

The class screamed! One girl ran to the door, only to find it locked. They were trapped! George and Lee struggled to keep their heads above the water. Fred, however, was laughing manically again. The laugh shot fear into every student there.

“Fred! Help m…” George tried to yell, but water invaded his lungs. His body fell down into the liquid and his world went dark.

*****
“WHAT THE BLOODY HELL WERE YOU THINKING?” screamed Mrs Weasley, as Fred and George stood dripping wet in Dumbledore’s office. The amulet was sitting innocently on Dumbledore’s desk, where Dumbledore himself was seated. Also in the room were Mr and Mrs Weasley. They were not happy.

“TURNING MADAM PINCE’S HAIR INTO SNAKES!” Mrs Weasley continued. “FLOODING THE POTION’S CLASSROOM! I’M SURPRISED YOU’RE STILL HERE!”

“I’m surprised at you boys,” said Mr Weasley crossly, “I would’ve thought you’d have more sense than to wear an unknown charm straight out of Filch’s office!”

“I thought it was OK,” Fred was ashamed, “because it didn’t hurt George and…”

“GEORGE SHOULDN’T HAVE WORN IT EITHER!” Mrs Weasley continued. “YOU COULD’VE KILLED SOMEONE!”

“Thank you, Molly,” said Dumbledore calmly.

Mrs Weasley sat down heavily on her chair with a furious expression.

“I won’t expel you this time,” Dumbledore said, “as long as you promise to destroy this amulet as soon as possible. This is a very rare and dangerous amulet made by Loki.”

“Who’s Loki?” asked Fred.

“Loki is a character in Norse mythology. He was a trickster and a hypocrite. When Fred wore the amulet, it appears that a part of Loki possessed him briefly.”

Mrs Weasley made a loud squealing sound, and embraced the twins.

“My poor boys! What have you done?” she cried.

“Mum, you’re choking us!” George’s voice was muffled.

“I’ll take that, Dumbledore,” said Mr Weasley, picking up the amulet. “I’ll bring it to work at the ministry tomorrow.”

Mr Weasley scooped up the amulet and slipped it into his pocket.

*****
It was late until the Weasleys got home to the Burrow. Mrs Weasley busied herself with tea, while Mr Weasley started writing out some documents on biting doorknobs. As he began on the third page, he didn’t notice an invisible force gently lift the amulet out of Mr Weasley’s pocket. He didn’t notice it glide up the stairs and through a doorway. He didn’t hear Ginny’s old toy box open stiffly, or hear the soft thunk of the amulet land amongst the forgotten toys, where it would sit until it’s called.

To be continued…