Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Always Stick Together by hattiepotter

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Spit it out, Ron

It was Friday evening, and Ron had dragged Harry up to their dormitory, saying that he “needed to talk”. Harry, who knew exactly what he “needed to talk” about, had obliged unwillingly and was now sitting on his bed, listening to Ron rant about Hermione.

“Why can’t she just ask me out or something?” he cried in frustration.

“Er, Ron?” Ron whipped his head round and gave Harry such a glare that he thought he might tear his head off. “I think she’s probably expecting you to do that,” Harry continued carefully.

“What?” Ron yelled, making Harry jump. “She wants me to ask her out?”

“Well it is more traditional for the man to ask the woman,” said Harry. “She’s probably wondering why you haven’t done it yet.”

“But now she’s going to think I don’t like her or something!” yelled Ron in exasperation.

“Oh, I think it’s quite obvious that you like her,” Harry told him. Ron shot another glare his way.

“It is?” he asked, suddenly sounding worried.

“Er, yes! Only because you stare at her stupidly for long periods of time, even if she’s doing something really boring like reading or working.” Harry couldn’t believe he was having to explain this to his best friend; but then again, Ron wasn’t really one for romantics.

“Is it really that obvious?” Ron said, looking anxious. Harry nodded and Ron scowled, then continued. “But what if she doesn’t like me back?”

“She does,” said Harry.

“How come you’re so confident?” questioned Ron.

“Don’t you think there’s a chance that I might have had this exact same conversation with Hermione?” Ron’s look turned from confused to jubilant in a matter of seconds. Then he turned and ran out of the room. Harry rolled his eyes and followed him down the stairs, not wanting to miss anything interesting that might happen.

When he got to the Common Room, he found Ron, standing about 10 feet from where Hermione was working, looking thoroughly confused again. Harry spotted Ginny watching him with a slightly concerned look on her face, so he went over to tell her what had just happened. As he told her, Ron sat down, apparently trying to think of the best way to go about his next move. Harry finished, and Ginny watched Ron, giggling.

“Don’t you think you should go and tell him what he should do?” she whispered to Harry.

“Nah, I reckon he needs to work this one out by himself,” he whispered back. “And anyway, this way’s much more amusing.”

They sat watching Ron for a few minutes, as Hermione shot him glances, looking just as confused as he did. Finally, Ron got up and moved a bit closer to her. Harry noticed that Ron’s hands were shaking ever so slightly as he wandered over to Hermione’s parchment-covered desk. She looked up at him.

“Yes?” Ron froze. “What do you want, Ron?” Ron still didn’t move. “Look I’m trying to write a really complicated essay right now, so if you’ve just come to distract me-“

“No!” he said, slightly too loudly. Several people looked round and Hermione raised an eyebrow. “I mean… I…”

“Oh, spit it out, Ron,” she said. “I don’t have time for all this nonsense. Either tell me or go away.” It seems to be clear to him that it was now or never.

“DyoowannagotoHogsmeadewithmetomorrow?” he gabbled.

“Sorry?” said Hermione, looking at him as though she’d never seen someone with red hair before.

“Er… do you want to… go… to Hogsmeade… with me… tomorrow?” he mumbled. Hermione blushed, but she couldn’t have possibly gone as red as Ron was now.

“Um, yes, alright,” she stuttered, taking on Ron’s would-be-casual tone. She smiled shyly at him and he smiled back. Harry and Ginny, who were still watching them closely from the sofa, were shaking with suppressed laughter.

“Cool,” grunted Ron, and he started to walk away.

“Ron?” said Hermione, and he turned back to look at her. “I… er… thanks,” she finished. He smiled and practically ran towards the boys staircase, as Harry and Ginny finally let out their laughter, unable to contain it any longer.