Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Sweet Memories by lilac_gurl8

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: You know the spiel; not mine, not yours. Harry and Hermione belong to each other {stolen from harryloveshermione.com} man I can’t do anything on my own lol =D

And now I’m all alone again

She had lost too much this time; her friends, her family, her husband, and her children.

Nowhere to go, no one to turn to

Her house was destroyed by Death Eaters. Everyone she’d loved and had loved her was dead; she was one of the only survivors.

I did not want your money sir

She looked like death. Her hair was matted and soaking from the rain. She had bags under her eyes from not sleeping, and her clothes were the ones she was wearing that horrible night.

I came out here ‘cause I was told to

What could Tonks possibly want to talk about tonight? Hermione hadn’t seen her since the final battle two days ago. They were the only people in the Order that had survived.

And now the night is near

Seeing as how it was nearly nine, she hoped Tonks wouldn’t make her stay too long. Lately, she didn’t want to deal with anyone. It hurt too much.

Now I can make believe he’s here

It was hard to walk through the Hogsmeade village. So many memories with her friends and family; with Harry.

Sometimes I walk alone at night when everybody else is sleeping

Before Harry died, they would take walks late at night throughout Godric’s Hollow. Moving into his parents’ house was the best thing for them at the time, but now it had become too hard for Hermione. She couldn’t go to her car without a memory hitting hard.

I think of him and then I’m happy with the company I’m keeping

When she was in the Headmistress office at Hogwarts, thinking of him when she was bored or when she was angry always made her day that much better. Now, any thought of him made her lose complete control of her emotions.

The city goes to bed

She watched as everyone started to close up their stores. People swarmed out to apparate to their homes. Within ten minutes, the street was clear... except for The Three Broomsticks.

And I can live inside my head

The times when she was alone was the hardest. Her thoughts swirled in her head, and there was nothing she could do to stop them. Her memory flashed to scenes of her life, scenes she would much rather forget.

On my own pretending he’s beside me

As she moved towards the pub, many older, tougher looking wizards were looking at her with gleams in their eyes. She remembered how Harry used to look them straight in the eye and say “she’s mine” with a very straightforward tone.

All alone I walk with him ‘til morning

Just before they went to fight, Harry had given her a locket with a picture of him on one side, and a picture of the twins, James and Lily, on the other, for their anniversary. She’d never taken it off. Now, it was her only connection to her loved ones.

Without him I feel his arms around me

When Harry would go away on an Auror job, he would give her a very hard hug from behind just before he left. It often left marks there, and she would feel it for days afterwards, but that was how he stayed home with her.

And when I lose my way I close my eyes and he has found me

When she would make dinner, Harry would sometimes go behind her and cover her eyes to let her know that he was home. When she made dinner tonight, no one was there to make her giggle like she used to.

In the rain the pavement shines like silver

She looked at her feet as she walked, something she hadn’t done since her first year at Hogwarts. Her shoes had blood and dirt specks on them. The rain washed the dirt off, but left the blood behind; yet another reminder that she was alone.

All the lights are misty in the river

She looked at the lake. The reflection from the school was flickering with the torch lights that lined the streets of Hogsmeade. It reminded her of her wedding that took place on the Hogwarts grounds. They had gotten married at night, and the only lights they used were torches. It made it that much more magical.

In the darkness the trees are full of starlight

It was clear night tonight. No mist from dementors breeding, because the dementors didn’t exist anymore. She hadn’t seen stars in almost 2 years. They were so bright, as if to make up for the nights that no one had seen them.

And all I see is him and me forever and forever

Some stragglers were leaving the pub as she entered. It seemed that everywhere she looked, she saw Harry. She looked around for about a minute before she spotted Tonks. She waved and walked over, asking Madam Rosmerta for a butterbeer.

And I know it’s only in my mind

Tonks was very upfront with why she wanted to talk to Hermione. She thought Hermione was becoming too reclusive. Granted, everyone she had ever cared about deeply was gone, but her whole mindset was driving her into a deep hole, one she might not be able to get out of.

That I’m talking to myself and not to him

Hermione listened to Tonks with a great respect. Tonks, too, had lost her husband, but she was keeping up a brave face. Lupin would have been proud of her, and Hermione told her so.

And although I know that he is blind

Tonks told Hermione that Harry would have wanted her to be happy, that her kids would have wanted her to be happy. Hermione finally looked up at Tonks with tears streaming down her face and asked how she could be happy when her life was torn apart, her husband and children murdered, and her two best friends, Ron and Ginny, were in St. Mungo’s with no chance of survival.

Still I say there’s a way for us

Tonks looked at Hermione with deep compassion. She walked around the table, turned Hermione in her chair, and enveloped her in a big hug. She told Hermione to get all her stuff, that she was moving in with her. Hermione looked up at Tonks, then smiled and quietly agreed to do it.

I love him but when the night is over

She paid Rosmerta and walked out, Tonks following right behind her. It was barely ten. The streets were very quiet, with no sound but a gentle breeze.

He is gone the river’s just a river

She looked at the lake again. The castle was dark now; she could barely see the reflection on the water. The water was still too, more calm then she had ever seen it.

Without him this world around me changes

She kept walking until she reached her destroyed home. She quickly stepped over the rubble, noticing that people had picked some of her stuff up and placed it under tarps for her. Her neighbors were wonderful people; she needed to remember to thank them for being there for her.

The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers

She went to where her room used to be. Lately she had been sleeping on the couch; it had been too painful to sleep in her and Harry’s room anymore. She went first to her children’s room. She grabbed their blankets that her mom had made for them, green for James, and yellow for Lily. She looked at the walls, bare of pictures. In one of her rages, she had completely ripped off everything that reminded her of James and Lily.

I love him but everyday I’m learning

She finally worked up the nerve to go into her old bedroom. It looked untouched. Their pajamas were still strewn on the floor from when they got that dreaded call at 3 in the morning. Their bed was unmade, and dishes from her and Harry’s dinner in bed the previous night to that were still there.

All my life I’ve only been pretending

She realized that if she kept on like this, she’d only dwell on the bad things that happened, and forget all the good memories she and Harry had shared.

Without me his world will go on turning

As she went to grab the bag she finally packed she noticed something on their dresser.

This world is full of happiness that I have never known

She walked towards it, starting to cry as she realized what it was. Pictures.

I love him

A picture of the bridal party at their wedding: her, Harry, Ginny, Ron, Luna, and Neville.

I love him

A picture of her holding James and Harry holding Lily right after they were born.

I love him

A picture of her and Harry on their honeymoon.

But only on my own

She grabbed the pictures, put them in her bag, and walked out with Tonks, ready to start her life again.