Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Search by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wanted to dedicate this chapter to my grandfather because February 15 was his birthday, and the whole chapter just reminded me of him.
Chapter 15 - Christmas

Grimmauld Place was woken prematurely on Christmas morning by the sound of Ginny’s owl, Hunter, hooting madly as Crookshanks tried to take breakfast into his own paws. Once Ginny settled Hunter down and Hermione fed Crookshanks, Mrs. Weasley started to make breakfast.

“What about presents?” Ron complained groggily, “won’t we open those first?”

The Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks, Harry and Hermione seated themselves sleepily around the wooden kitchen table. Lupin was looking nervous; he was wringing his hands, looking over his shoulder, checking his watch, and glancing eagerly at Harry. Harry had the impression Lupin was waiting to tell him something. Harry shook the suspicion as Mrs. Weasley answered Ron’s question.

“Since you are all home for the holidays this year, we will all open the presents together!” she chirped happily. She was thrilled to have all her children in one place this Christmas “ with the exception of Percy. No one had mentioned Percy since Bill’s wedding, but Harry knew that it was tearing Mrs. Weasley up inside. Percy had made his peace, but they had not really reconciled. Mr. Weasley had come home from work one day with the news of Percy’s engagement to his long-time girlfriend, but Mrs. Weasley had not yet found out. Everyone was afraid to inform her because they weren’t sure of her reaction. The family had not received invitations to the wedding.

“Would you help me set the table, Hermione and Ginny?” she asked, handing them the plates. The Christmas tree sparkled as everyone helped with the meal; dozens of presents lay beneath it, brought down from the foot of everyone’s bed in anticipation of being opened together. Harry was hoping that the package that seemed to contain Hagrid’s homemade fudge was not for him.

They finally sat down to a wonderful morning meal with their favourite Christmas tunes playing softly in the background. There was merry conversation, and all fears were briefly forgotten as the world seemed trouble-free once more.

By the time every plate was cleared after the meal of eggs, sausages, toast, porridge, penatone, and eggnog, many waistbands had been loosened. Ron was eagerly awaiting a dismissal to go open presents. Mrs. Weasley finally gave the nod of approval, and Ron was halfway into the next room before anyone else was out of their seats.

“Wow, Harry, thanks for the practise Quaffle!” he exclaimed as he tore open the first package he could get his hands on.

Harry shyly knelt beside Ginny as he handed her his present. He was hoping she would love it as much as he pictured her doing.

“Oh, you really didn’t have to go to the trouble “ oh my!” She fell silent as she pulled the necklace out of the box. It was a delicate silver chain with a rose shaped pendant. In the middle was a tiny golden Snitch. It barely made a sound as she lifted it up to her eye level. “What…how…” she stuttered, not removing her stare from the necklace for a second. This was the exact reaction Harry had hoped for.

“I saw it, and I knew I had to get it for you,” Harry explained as he lifted Ginny’s hair to help her fasten it.

“This must have cost you a fortune!” she whispered. “This makes the present I gave you look so insignificant.” She blushed, pushing what looked like a shoebox toward him.

Harry untied the carefully wrapped ribbon, half listening to Hermione thanking Ron for a book on Ancient Runes.

It was a cardboard box. He opened it and found a stack of letters, some of which seemed to date back nearly five years.

“I know it’s stupid, but they are just a bunch of letters that I wrote for or about you, but never sent, over the years.” Ginny blushed as red as the Christmas ornaments. “I just thought you would find them…interesting.”

“Thanks,” he whispered, truly touched by her love for him, and he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “I can pull them out whenever I’m missing you.”

Ginny sat in bliss, fingering her pendant as everyone opened their gifts. She seemed perfectly content just sitting and watching.

Once the wrapping paper was cleaned up, the presents put away, the cookies handed out, and Crookshanks removed from the tree, Harry was tired enough to go to bed “ at 12:15 in the afternoon. Harry was peacefully reading one of Ginny’s letters (dated February 15, 1992). He was trying to recall what had happened earlier during that time that would make her sound so distressed while writing this letter.

“Harry…”

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted as Lupin clapped him on the shoulder. He bent down closer to Harry’s ear, anticipation etched on every line of his face.

“I need your help. I think I may know where the locket is.”

Lupin led him to the entrance hall and handed him his coat.

“What do you mean?” Harry questioned as they left the house and prepared to Apparate.

“Mr. Watvey suspected that the locket had value,” Lupin stated as he pulled out his wand and looked over his shoulder. He gripped Harry’s upper arm and they turned on the spot.