Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Search by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 17 “ The Vault

Harry gazed in wonder at the large room, almost the size of an apartment. He wondered if this would be a place to stay on the run from the law.

“Start looking, Harry,” Lupin said eagerly. Laundrall waited impatiently by the door. He looked like he would very much enjoy locking the door right now. “It has to be here somewhere.”

Harry began looking in cupboards hanging on the wall, drawers near the back, and under the large area rug.

“You might want to know there is a door concealed behind this wall,” Laundrall said, eager to get on with his day. He caressed the wall, and it melted away. Behind it was a smaller room, which looked as though it had been brought from the Watvey house itself. There was furniture, a cabinet, and even portraits on the walls. Lupin immediately headed toward the family portrait.

“Last family portrait I looked behind, I found the document…” he said, taking down the portrait from the wall revealing a safe door. “It seems to be his style.”

Lupin fiddled around with the lock. His face lit up as though he suddenly knew the code.

“Scott’s family was everything to him. They must be part of the combination…twenty-nine…twenty-five…five…”

He pulled “ nothing.

“Five…twenty-nine…twenty-five…”

He pulled again. It remained sealed shut.

“Five…twenty-five…twenty-nine…”

This time it worked. The door swung open, and inside was a glittering gold locket.

“How did you know those numbers?” Harry asked in awe.

“The ages of his family. It is so typical of him to put others before himself. Five is Gabrielle, twenty-five is Emily, and twenty-nine is Scott. Would you like to do the honour, Harry? This is your battle.”

Harry eagerly reached into the safe and withdrew the heavy Horcrux. This was the one, Harry knew. It was exactly like the one he had held mere years ago in Grimmauld Place

“What do we do now?” Harry said, a bit taken aback by their quick success.

“Destroy it immediately before it has a chance to get lost,” Lupin said anxiously. This was the revenge Lupin wanted for a rare friend.

“How?” Harry asked nervously. He had been waiting ever since Dumbledore’s death for this moment, but he had not prepared for what to do when he found the locket.

“Try Detruirelends,” Lupin suggested.

Detruirelends?” Harry had never heard of this spell, but he gave it a shot. A bright light flashed as he spoke the incantation, but the locket remained. Harry didn’t exactly know what they were expecting.

Harry had a sudden idea. He placed the locket on the floor and braced himself. It seemed like something Voldemort would force someone to do.

Avada Kedavra!” Harry spat, disgust with Voldemort evident in every syllable. This time, the green light was blinding. Lupin grabbed Harry by the shoulders and dove to the ground. The whole earth shook as gold pieces flew all over the small room, bouncing off the walls and returning to the middle. A shrill scream came from deep within the Horcrux, and the pitch increased with every second. The light disappeared and was replaced by an enormous darkness that seemed to swallow them up. The scream abruptly stopped and the room returned to its normal state. Harry had a ringing in his ears.

They stood up and walked to where they had left the Horcrux. There was absolutely no evidence that anything so evil had ever been there. Harry felt the stone floor where the locket had exploded. It was cold.

“I think that’s it,” Harry said shakily. He turned to Lupin, who was looking astonished with what Harry had just done.

“How did you…know?” he whispered. “How did you know to do that? How did you have the power to do that?”

Harry shrugged. He hadn’t really known; it had just come to him. He was also surprised that he had just used the Avada Kedavra, even if it wasn’t on a person. It was a spell that required a lot of power, determination and hate.

“You’re starting to seem like Dumbledore with this knowledge that no one else has,” Lupin said, smiling weakly.

Harry wasn’t sure if he should laugh or not. Dumbledore had had great power and knowledge, and Harry would love to be just like him.

“Let’s get out of here.” Lupin motioned for Harry to follow him out of the room. As he was about to leave, Harry saw the same photo he had seen at the Watvey’s house. The smiled on the faces seemed even brighter now. Harry’s thirst for Voldemort’s death grew stronger. He pocketed the picture.

Laundrall was still standing by the main door.

“Did you find what you needed?” he asked uninterestedly.

“Yes, thank you,” Harry said politely.

The three “ a goblin, a werewolf, and an accomplished boy of seventeen “ began to ascend the staircase to find the cart again. They would then take the roller coaster ride back to the surface of the earth and off to the next adventure.