Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Seventh Search by snufflesismyidol

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry for the wait, but expect another one before chapter 25. I still need to write it :)
Chapter 24 “ Warning

Harry, with Ginny still unconscious, arrived at number twelve Grimmauld Place panting and terrified. Harry had not realized that they had spent nearly five hours on their quest as it was now mid afternoon. After sprinting up the stairs, Harry found most of the family, or at least those that didn’t have to go to work, cleaning in the sitting room. They all hurried toward him as they noticed Ginny, limp in his arms.

“Oh my God, Harry!” Hermione panicked. “What happened?” They were stroking Ginny’s hair, checking for vital signs, and trying to pry her away from Harry. He clutched onto her as though letting go would be letting her die.

“There’s no time to explain that right now. I need to speak to everyone in the Order as soon as possible!” Harry exclaimed as he unwillingly laid Ginny to rest in an armchair. He kept her hand in his.

“Well, only Remus is here aside from us, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said desperately as she examined her daughter. She was using her wand to see what was wrong.

“She’s alright,” Harry said to her, and Mrs. Weasley began to cry in relief, but she didn’t stop what she was doing. “Where’s Remus?”

Harry was directed to go to Lupin’s room where he found the werewolf reading the newspaper. Lupin appeared startled by the boy ramming through his door on what had been such a quiet day. Harry explained, and at once, Lupin shot up and left to gather the rest of the Order.

Harry darted up yet another flight of stairs into his own room. He fled toward the portrait of Dumbledore. The old Headmaster was sleeping peacefully with a nightcap on his head and a cup of tea in his hands. Harry regretted having to wake him.

“Professor…?”

Dumbledore’s eyes snapped open so suddenly that Harry jumped back, quite startled.

“I found the cup -” he started without preamble.

“You did!” Dumbledore sat up, impressed. “Where?”

“I’ll explain that later, but it’s destroyed, and -”

“Congratulations, Harry!”

“Wait!” Harry interrupted impatiently, “Voldemort knows. I felt it, and I’m certain that he will want to make a new one. Please gather up Professor McGonagall and send her over as soon as possible. If there are any other Order members you can find, send them here, too! There is no time to waste. We need to isolate Voldemort and make sure no one is within miles of him.”

Dumbledore followed Harry’s orders immediately, which surprised Harry more than anything.

Seconds later, he entered the front hallway to find that Tonks, Moody, and three other Order members from the Ministry had arrived. They were all looking up at him, confused and nervous. They seemed to have come directly from the office for they all held a paper or two they had been holding when they Disapparated.

“What’s going on, boy?” Moody questioned gruffly. He had a whole stack of forms in his hand, which he vanished with a wave of his wand.

Harry explained as quickly as he could, and then set out his demands again.

“How are we supposed to find Voldemort?” one of the Ministry workers asked.

“I have no idea, but just warn people to lock themselves in their basements, or something!” He was tired of explaining, and he just wanted to assure that the needs were met.

The five witches and wizards shifted uncomfortably.

“Abort the plan, then?” Tonks asked Moody.

“I’ll say,” he replied. “Spread the word.”

“Wait,” Harry asked, confused, “what plan “ oh, the plan…” The Ministry plan loomed suddenly in his mind.

“We were going to do that today, Harry,” Tonks explained, “but we can’t go through with it after this.” She directed her eyes to the ground. Harry knew how much work it had been to set up.

“But is the Portkey set?” Harry said slowly.

“Yes, we finished everything yesterday,” she sighed.

“We might be able to use it somehow,” a plump Ministry witch said.

“I don’t see how.” Tonks shook her head. “It’s all set up in Hogwarts.”

“So if anyone were to touch it, they’d be transported to the Department of Mysteries?”

“Where they might be forced through the Veil,” Moody finished impressively.

“It won’t work now, but there’s not much we can do about that,” Harry said irritably. They were wasting time. “We need to stop Voldemort before he makes another Horcrux. Keep a lookout, and tell everyone what I’ve said.” The five Aurors left the house to follow Harry’s instructions.

Harry returned to the sitting room where half the Weasley family (plus Hermione) sat beside Ginny. She was as pale as ever, and her mother matched her colour.

“Fred, George,” Harry said sharply, “I need you to start warning people about Voldemort being on the lookout for another Horcrux.” No one shuddered at the name.

What?” Mrs. Weasley was on her feet in the blink of an eye.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Harry continued as though he hadn’t heard her shout, “the members of the Order should be arriving very shortly and steadily, and I need you to tell them that Voldemort is looking for someone to kill for a Horcrux. Send them out to warn people.”

“How do you know all this?” Hermione asked nervously as she gripped Ron’s hand in hers.

“I just do,” Harry answered solemnly.

He walked gingerly over to his girlfriend and knelt quietly beside her. He stroked her hair gently and kissed her cheek before standing and turning to the others who were just waiting and watching.

“Come on! No time to lose!” He headed for the door before Ron grabbed his arm. Mrs. Weasley scooted out of the door. Fred and George followed as quickly as they could move.

“You of all people are not going out there,” he said wide-eyed and sincere. Hermione nodded vigorously with approval.

“Why not?” Harry demanded irritably.

“Don’t you think,” Ron explained with a roll of his eyes, “that the biggest trophy of all would be you? Isn’t it possible that he would want to kill you, once and for all, to ensure his unending ruling of the world?”

Harry thought for only a moment before replying, “No.” He continued walking for the door.

“Oh, don’t be stupid!” Hermione snarled. “You’re staying right where you are. I mean, look what already happened to Ginny!”

Harry whipped around so fast that he cricked his neck. “Ginny is FINE!” he shouted, while rubbing his injury.

“Well, she’s not perfect, is she?” Ron scowled.

Harry grabbed the front of Ron’s shirt.

Don’t talk to me about who I have hurt and who I have killed,” he whispered. As he let go of the shirt, he pushed Ron away from him. “I’m out to fix that now. But I need your help. Do what you can to track Voldemort, or to warn people. Don’t try to kill him; it can’t be done yet. I still need to find and destroy one more Horcrux before I can do it.”